gettin a Dell, kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckm1020

[H]ard|Gawd
i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please kill me. i never thought i would own a pre-built computer except a laptop. but my mom bought it all for me for graduation. and she wants me to have a reliable computer for school use with a good warrenty. So im like alright, I better make it fast. Its the Dimension XPS desktop. with the 3.2GHzEE processor, 2GB of memory, 9800XT, 74GB raptor 10k, 160GB sata 7,200k, 48X dr-rw drive, 8X dvd+rw drive, Audigy 2, Win Xp pro, and the best part a 2001FP monitor. yes it is way overpriced, but i try not to think of that becuase i didnt buy it. i hope i like it, and i was wondering wat mobo they use and wat brand of 9800XT is it?

Dell branded mobo which will be crazyglued to the case so you cant remove it prolly. And the 9800XT will probably be underclocked if dell lives up to their name.

dell servers are sweet. if it was me Ida had em buy me a nice poweredge and made myself a normal box as a workstation. :)

I dont give a fuck who makes that box with those stats... even dell can't fuck that up.

You see, the irony is that.

Dell has the worst support ive ever had the luck of dealing with.
So when your mother says she want's you to get a computer that is reliable and has good tech support............ she's as far off as can possible be in my opinion. (its an opinion).

Now i have nothing wrong with other races and nationalities, but when you call up tech support and get Yamid Elakbar the first, and you have the hardest time trying to understand what he's saying, and he can't understand a darn thing you just said........ it get's a little annoying (and who can forget those "let me put you on hold"... and they just hang up). LOL, try giving your e-mail address to one of them... it will take you an hour just to do that. "Yes sir, my e-mail address is [email protected]"....

As for reliable.............. not mine.... because they sometimes use generic parts... although your's seems to have the majority of high end... so you might be all set.

I wonder what the power supply is on that XPS case.

If i were you, and im not, BUT IF I WERE, i would prefer going with a company like www.cyberpowerinc.com and getting exactly what you said.

better tech support, and it will be much cheaper ^_^. perhaps even 800$ cheaper.
And you also get the option of going with an AMD
new_angel.gif

~Hope this helps, even though i did'nt answer a single question you had :D.

so lets hear the damage...

how much was this BEAST?

i wish my parents would get me something like that for graduation :)

get an alienware

probably cheaper and better support

edit: and post the total so we can all tell you what you could get for that much $$$

dell uses the regular intel mobos.
and they probably use the samne videocard that you can buy retail or OEM

compslckr said:
so lets hear the damage...

how much was this BEAST?

Yes, Please tell us how much this beast cost your mom. I'd think it'd probably cost more than a built by you computer of the same caliber would be.

Gezzz... that thing should fly..... to bad 1/2 of it will be remanufactured parts :rolleyes:

my "friend" was/is i don't know anymore is a die-hard dell fan and my school St.John's uses all dells. all p3's i might add, they keep raising tuition but they can't afford new computers, j.o's. anyway his computer always crapped the hell outta him and tech support blows over the past few years since they moved it to india. one thing i really don't like about pre-builts though is that they put SOOO much junk on the computer before u even touch it that its impossible to remove it and causes so many conflicts and problems like my garbage hp's. make sure u also get the re-format disc which must be used to reformat the computer, i didn't get one for my hp so i totally screwed it up trying to clean it up. u probably already know this but i just wanted to say it again.

the Dell XP is the only Dell computer that I have some respect for and possiably their laptops.

chuckm1020 said:
ok are u ready for the price. your going to get sick. $5100 with tax and shipping :eek:

Put down the crack pipe and fukn buy a VooDoo/Alienware for that much lmao

Atleast you got it for free :D

For the record i got a dell and it was the worst mistake i ever made they arent upgradeable But then again dells are reliable and if you get the latest and greatest your good
In terms of upgrades
Dells are wired strange.... meaning that some things are not the standard hook ups..
you cant use a dell power supply with out a dell mobo, it will fry, same thing opposite way.
you will need to buy both a new power supply and a new motherboard. If u want to upgrade
(I realise of course that w/ that config its not a problem)
A friend of mine tried it... not to mention it is very nasty on the inside some one posted this on a forum once i thought it sumed it up real well

"i remember the first time i saw inside of the wifes gateway i was like omg :eek: WTF which multihanded-electric-power-screwdriver-happy-messy-monster created this. just nasty"

Hope this helps im having similar issues except i dont have a XPS but a lowly 4600c which is worthless and i am in the proscess of constructing a new one.
If your that worried i would suggest two options..

1: sell it or return it asap when your mom isnt looking and either buy another one from a better place like aleinware or else biuld your own and pocket the difference :D

2: Tell her that it has not so great service and either buy another one from a better place like aleinware or else biuld your own and give her the difference because im sure it will be significant.

Dont flame his post man. He knows it isnt that greatest thing to pick up a Dell atleast. His mom wants him to be a happy little college boy teehee! The XP is a good system overall. It could stand up against the Alienware and Voodoo in a PC Gamer review. It has a pretty sleek look to it accept it says Dell on it ;) Personally, the Alienware would have been a better decition, their tech isnt that bad either. I switched my video card 3 times during the building process of my other Alienware and they didnt mess up and were very quick about it. Though, now adays every tech person is in India so it's all fair lol.

Never lie to your mother! shame! :D

If any of your friends dont like Dell just cover it up with a tarp and when they ask to see it just say it's top secret from the Government. :cool:

GG and goodluck with your system man!

well i actaully had a built up comp, about 2 weeks ago, my mom made me sell it, because it broke alot. wich it did, it didnt have crapy parts either. it was abit nf7s, 1gb pc3200 corsair xms memory, 80gb sata 7200rpm hardrive, ati radeon 9800xt, 2600+ barton, enermax 550watt, ect. but it was sadly sold, and i miss it. im hoping this one will be a little faster.

o yah, i did try to buy an alienware, with an fx-53 and x800-xt. we had ordering problems, so my mom called alienware"when i wasnt around". and she said they didnt help the problem, so she said she wont work with that company. so im like damn, i guess ill get the dell

chuckm1020 said:
o yah, i did try to buy an alienware, with an fx-53 and x800-xt. we had ordering problems, so my mom called alienware"when i wasnt around". and she said they didnt help the problem, so she said she wont work with that company. so im like damn, i guess ill get the dell
arrrgg! so close!

try voodoopc

chuckm1020 said:

SNAP!

I do hope you bought that off their small business section ... their home system's support is not very good this days ... somehow, I have better luck if the system is registered as a business machine ...

another thing ... when you get the system ... check the memory specs ... I've seen a P4C wiht a PC2100 memory on it ...

DAMN! that is one Pricy PC. i wish my parents got my something that extreme for graduation :)

We have dells here at work, and we have business support. Needless to say I had the pleasure of speaking with Hamed Ala-achmed. It was confusing, and by far the worst tech support next to compaq.

The dells use generic ram that won't oc, and low quality intel mobo's. They make everything inside the case as proprietary as possible, so good luck upgrading that mobo - which you'll definitely want to replace asap. But that might void the warranty. And good luck explaining that to Asheesh Kala-akbar Zadeh on the phone.

But enjoy your FREE pc!

Maybe they've changed their ways. Dell did use Micron memory at one point. And they did have the best tech support in the industry. The whole India thing turns my stomach because I had a lot of friends that worked there (in the US) that later lost their jobs.

Sounds like a nice machine. Enjoy it.

I had a dell server with a 20gig hard drive and the hard drive stopped working after a week. They wouldn't take the box back or replace a hard drive. :(

Frustration said:
My dad has a Dell 8300. They use plain Intel mobos, but they also have cheap non-name brand RAM.
nope, they use curical/micron ram and for the RDRAM they use samsung. - my cousin has 8200, and a xps, i would know :)

Volume said:
Graduation PC? Hah! I'll get $5 and a kick out the door.

haha exactaly...

bloody hell 5000 though let alone 3000. 5000 you mite as well get a car.
you better get stragiht A*s now :D

Ok, i was a little off... i was expecting this computer to cost about 3800$US, so i said you could probably save 800$ by going with a company like www.cyberpowerinc.com

Turns out you could save around 1100$ by going with cyberpower. SAME THING, but better.

Anyway, what people here are telling you... is the honest to goodness TRUTH!
Dell does use as many of their things as possible.

My 4 year old Dell XPS has an intel motherboard (very stable i might add, but no overclocking utilities at all in the BIOS) and a Dell branded Power supply. obviously, they modded the intel mobo a little.... so it will only accept their power supply.... so im stuck with a 200watt power supply, not even enough for that new x800 i wish i had ^_^. The cd-rom that i had was as generic as you could get...... i STILL never knew who made the darn thing. The first one broke after about 6months... while the replacement they sent me was semi-broke after 1 year. they would not replace the second one... because according to their diagnostics.......... it worked..... BASTARDS!!!!! so i ended up getting myself a nice TDK cd r/rw ^_^.

Now you see, back 4 years ago, they actually had english speaking tech support people........ although, you knew they were working out of this huge book!!!!!! They were very helpful for commone questions, but if you ever had an advanced question, or a problem they never heard of..... BAM, they would go right to reformating the hard drive... .LOL
Now'a'days, its all india! its true. i have worked for my high school, and they have about 40 dells...... and you would not believe the hard time ive had with tech support...... thank goodness about 20 of the 40 are "business" Optiplex computers... and when buying a business computer (not just from the buisness section), you get to go to their """"" Tier 2""""" tech support (shhhh, secrect). these people can speak english. Oh well, at least you still have us [H]ard|Forum people to help you out ^_^.

just a little side note, i also bought a laptop from Dell about 6 months ago .... it cost 3200$, and it was loaded with bloat ware as you said (my 4 year old really was'nt.. not much...) I could'nt believe it. i like my computer to be as lean & mean as possible.... and having this AOL, music match, 90 day norton (did'nt mind), dell service center, and who know's what else.... is just not acceptable to me. So, i RMA'ed that laptop back to them.... i did not like it. i decided to just go with a nice desktop in about 6 months (so now ^_^).

st4rk
We have dells here at work, and we have business support. Needless to say I had the pleasure of speaking with Hamed Ala-achmed. It was confusing, and by far the worst tech support next to compaq.

The dells use generic ram that won't oc, and low quality intel mobo's. They make everything inside the case as proprietary as possible, so good luck upgrading that mobo - which you'll definitely want to replace asap. But that might void the warranty. And good luck explaining that to Asheesh Kala-akbar Zadeh on the phone.

He is telling the truth!

Holy cow, to just think of it.... 5000$................. heck, that's almost a used Corvette right there... darn you rich people! im supper poor.

Anyway, your graduating, so im going to assume you've had at least 18 years to perfect your persuasion skills and i hope you at least took a level 4 course in parent manipulation. ^_^

Press on my friend, drive this info into your mother, and demand a better company... for after all your mother wants you to be a happy little college person............... so why not get better to be happy'er?

~Hope this helps

wow enderW, i never was able to find someone who sold this.... that's interesting.

Have you had any experience with them before?

Yes, interestingly enough none of the dells have had problems with psu's. Although they do look really cheap.

granted she does want u to get a present for graduation but what does she want you to do in college, work or play videogames? because with that system my grades would be 0.

Sorry bout the message but ive really got mixed feelings about the dells...
I wrote that post as you will notice at like 12:00 this mornin and i was kinda punchy...

The comp is great i hope you enjoy it my parent are thinking bout gettin me a laptop for graduation so im in the same boat...

Sorry about the flame i didn't mean it to be so harsh but thats the way it goes...

(I still think it would be fun to sell it and pocket the extra cash but thats just me...)
:D
Well Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back