Onboard Vid: Aperture and Frame Buffer Size

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an nforce2 board with onboard geforce2 that i am going to be using as a console mame/emulator machine. what are the proper settings for agp aperture and frame buffer size if i am using 512MB RAM in this machine? I always used to crank those settings to max with my other machines, but they all used AGP vid cards, not onboard.

Thanks!

Frame buffer would be the RAM on a video card. The performance of that doesn't increase beyond 64MB (64MB and 128MB produce similar results, theres no improvement).

Also, I read somewhere that AGP apeture should be half of your RAM, so set it to 256MB.

Try runing 3Dmark2001SE with different settings, and see what you get (try running 64MB/256MB versus 128MB/256MB).

I also have an nForce2 IGP board (Epox 8RGA+), but I'm not using the onboard video anymore.

i just didnt want to crank both settings and deprive my computer of system memory for regular functions. like i said, its going to be an emulation, it wont be doing any high intensity gaming.

thanks for the tips tho jawa, its exactly what i needed.

oooo....agp aperature is just how much if yer system ram u want used as partial video ram or some junk like that.....i have mine at 256.....there really no reason to go beyond 256.....and i suggest for a system of only 512 he should set it at 128....the 3dmark03 on my system only went up 50 points between 128mb aperature and 256......thats hardly even noticable.... now if i can just get my hands on some decent ram instead of the cheap stuff :(

Back