Watercooling my Shuttle-Work in Progress 56K-Don't

heyheyhey

Gawd
So, its summer. I'm just sitting here one day thinking, "I'm bored, I need something to do. I've already modded my case some, and there's not much else to do, maybe watercool it." Well, I've decided to do it for a little summer challenge. I will update this thread as I make progress. So far, I haven't been able to do much, due to lack of money, but if luck is with me, that will soon not be a problem. Here are some pics for right now thuogh :

DSC00316.jpg

Going to the slaughter house!

DSC00315.jpg

Ahhhh! I'm naked!

DSC00314.jpg

Ahhhh! I'm ghetto!

DSC00322.jpg

I'm back!

DSC00323.jpg

I'm so pretty.

DSC00322.jpg

I got cut.

This was my first time using a hole saw, so its a little sloppy, but the fan should cover it. My paintball gun is in a fairly promising sale, so I should be able to place my order this weekend, and possible have my things before I leave for vacation on Thursday. Right now, my cart is looking about like this :

P4 TDX CPU Block
Maze4 GPU Block
D4 12V Pump
Heatercore
Clear Resivoir
1/2"

I know it'll be a tight squeeze, but I'll get it to fit. If not, nothing the Dremel can't fix :D

More to come tomorrow!

what the hell is that suppose to be?

you know they make hole saws with a drill bit in the middle to help facilitate a cleaner hole....

I know, but this was only $18 and it turned out round.

EDIT - There is a shadow in the top right corner that makes it look shitty, but it is round.

Update :

Went to Circuit City today, picked up an Antec 120MM fan. Got home, measured everything, drilled, and mounted it. Everything went very smooth, even though this fan makes it look like the computer is ready for take off :p

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

T-minus 10... 9... 8...

Nevermind the scratches on the left side, that's from where I screwed up on my 80MM hole, I slipped with the dremel, and decided just to make a little random design around the hole, it looks alot better in person, I can't take pictures worth a shit.

By the way, anyone know where I could get a "shroud," that would go over the fan and kind of hide it? This might be what I want, not sure though.

You might want to integtate the fan into some sort of handle. Hide the fan and also have you a handle... and you can make the handle look great as well.

Not a bad idea, I'm going to be fabricating a frame for the heatercore, so I may see what I can get there too :)

heyheyhey said:
Nevermind the scratches on the left side, that's from where I screwed up on my 80MM hole, I slipped with the dremel, and decided just to make a little random design around the hole, it looks alot better in person, I can't take pictures worth a shit.

Ah, I thought you had some sort of seizure or had to piss really bad or something! :p

Just went to Advanced Auto and ordered an '86 Chevette heatercore, they said it'll be there tomorrow at 8 in the A.M. I also went to Home Depot to get some aluminum to build my frame for the heatercore, expect updates tomorrow :)

How much did that set you back (the '86 Chevette heatercore)? What happened with the..um..weird cut?

$28 for the heatercore, and with the cut, I was cutting the 80MM hole a few weeks ago, and it caught something and jumped, scratching the case. So rathe than paint the whole thing, I decided to do a random design on it... not the best option but the easiest :)

heyheyhey said:
$28 for the heatercore, and with the cut, I was cutting the 80MM hole a few weeks ago, and it caught something and jumped, scratching the case. So rathe than paint the whole thing, I decided to do a random design on it... not the best option but the easiest :)

I paid $23 for my heatercore, and they had to ship it all the way from Oklahoma city to Houston... at no charge :D

Got my heatercore today, a little bigger than I expected, but no problem :) I didn't have to build a frame as I thought I would, so it saved a little time.

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

Its getting a bit crowded in here...

Note - For some reason, Photobucket is acting up on me, don't know if its just me or not.

lol @ teh library ruler :p

Upon further examination, I have decided to paint my Shuttle, so it looks clean, not ghetto. The face plate and cover will be red, while the trim around the faceplate, grills, and bay covers will remain black. I'll start today with sanding/preping, maybe primer if I get the time, then finish primer tomorrow. I'll be on vaction Thursday-Wednesday, so expect updates after that.

I'm curious. Is that lightning bolt-like cut for form or function? Looks like part of the radiator is freed to the air by doing it but I wasn't sure.

The lightning bolt was my first window in the box, then I decided I wanted an 800MM fan hole too, and now I'm putting the 120MM on there, so originally, it was for form.

I picked up 2 1/2" barbs today, to replace the *huge* (and wrong-sized) ones on the heatercore. I also got my face plate and cover sanded and the firs coat of primer done.

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

UPS says my handles and shroud will be here tomorrow from FrozenCPU, but I can only hope :)

Yeah I meant the lighting bolt like cut, Looking good I'm going to have to find an Auto parts store around where I live to get myself a heatcore :D
Where did you get that mess stuff? That stuff looks good.

Nevermind- (brain hiccup) I meant the stuff on the heatcore but like I said, nevermind :)

:p

I got my 2nd coat of red on my case, and it dried fast, so I went ahead and put it all back together, and let me tell you, this is the sickest Shuttle I've seen. I took some pictures, they'll be up soon, but the top is ruining them because you can see all my mistakes, but once my black shroud gets here tomorrow, I imagine it will look sweet.

Said pics :

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

Pimped.

Note - Its actually red, not the red-orange that you see here, I turned out all the lights and used the flash for the pictures, that's why.

Looks very nice, i'm getting ready to build my own shuttle and your post just motivates me more! Thanks!

Very nice. Now all you have to do is paint your moniter and speakers to match ;)

DSC00379.jpg

What could this be?
DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

New toys!
DSC00383.jpg

Much better than just a fan up there.
DSC00389.jpg

How I'm going to do the handles, they'll be just for looks, I won't be carrying the case with them.

Wet sanded with 1000 grit, primered, waited a few hours, primered again, waited a few hours, painted, waited, painted. I didn't sand in between, because I wanted a flat look to it, and I think it looks better than it would have if it was glossy. Thanks for the compliments :)

Got my handles mounted...
DSC00392.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

Now I have to wait for my Nasty to sell to get money for watercooling :(
Maybe I could convince the parents to lend me the money, I shall tell them that the SFF online community depends on it :p

did you solder or JB weld the barbs in? Furthermore, did you get barbs that would fit around the outside of the current pipes or ones that you could drop in? Just curiuos.

have you put any thought into trying to fit that fan inside the cause, under the heatercore, adn then fixing the "lightining bolt" in the top by making the top that mesh stuff like the side is??

or maybe you could put dual 80mm fans under the heatercore...

just a thought..

I kind of like it on the top, I'll keep that in mind though.

If someone wants to donate ~$250, you can see this done that much sooner :p

heyheyhey said:
Its a lightning bolt, and the heatercore will cover it.

How are you going to find/make a heatercore in the shape of a lightning bolt?

Back