$422 6800gt(bestbuy) or $435 x800xt(gateway)

rhoel

Limp Gawd
The BB deal is $399 plus tax free shipping, or $435 free shipping and no tax.
Which one would you get? Should I consider the x800xt for a few bucks more? I currently have the 6800gt on order from Bestbuy.

Dude i pre-ordered a 800XT from best buy on may 5th, it still aint here, dont go with BB one word of advice

If it's between the GT and the XT, I'd get the X800XT. But I still think the GeForce 6800 Ultra is best.

Personally I would put the 6800U ahead of the x800xt, but the differences are so fine with the new drivers that you are splitting hairs either way. regardless, the x800xt at that price is a steal

I would rather have the 6800U OC over anyother card right now...unless my x800pro hardmods, then i have a X800XT PE OC, or something like that, bc my card OCs like crazy. :p

id get the GT, overlocked GT's have been performing better than ultras at the same speed and the ultra's with driver updates have been performing better than the XT recently. plus you have ps 3.0 :)

Does Best Buy charge you tax even if you order online :eek: I would think they would ship it from some main warehouse, not the store in your town.

The better card is probably the X800XT PE from the benchmarks that I've seen but I would get a 6800GT but not for that price.

any business that has a store located in the same state as a person buying something from their company must charge state tax.

EnforcerGT said:
I think he got it right the first time. The XT is faster than pro.

No the XT is faster than everything including the ultra. :) When AA and AF are enabled at higher res the X800 XT is a faster card. Who cares wich is faster with no AA and AF? I havent played a game without AA 4x and AF 8x in at least a year unless it is not an option. With CPU limitations you have to enable features to see what a card can do.

Dyslexic said:
No the XT is faster than everything including the ultra. :) When AA and AF are enabled at higher res the X800 XT is a faster card. Who cares wich is faster with no AA and AF? I havent played a game without AA 4x and AF 8x in at least a year unless it is not an option. With CPU limitations you have to enable features to see what a card can do.

I suggest you read up a little before mouthing off. With the new beta drivers from both companies everything is up in the air as to who holds the performance crown. We'll know more come August [with D3/HL2 being used as benchs].

agar said:
x800XT>6800U>6800GT>x800Pro

With the latest drivers, its like this:

Performance
6800U = x800xt > 6800GT >> X800PRO >>> 6800

Features
6800U = 6800GT = 6800 >> X800XT = X800PRO

I'd take the 6800gt personally, it's almost guaranteed to hit ultra speeds, maybe even ultra extreme speeds.. plus better features, better image quality than ati (can we say true trillinear?) list is endless basically.

WalteRr said:
I'd take the 6800gt personally, it's almost guaranteed to hit ultra speeds, maybe even ultra extreme speeds.. plus better features, better image quality than ati (can we say true trillinear?) list is endless basically.

we have a winner

Vagrant Zero said:
I suggest you read up a little before mouthing off. With the new beta drivers from both companies everything is up in the air as to who holds the performance crown. We'll know more come August [with D3/HL2 being used as benchs].

Blah Blah Blah All you NVidia fanboys just keep coming up with excuses. Now you want to wait for new games to bench on. I thought the 6800ultra was like 500% faster with its new drivers, now we need to see new games for the 6800ultra to take the lead. I have read alot of reviews and in most of them including new ones the X800 XT is faster when AA and AF are enabled at higher res except for Quake 3 engine Open GL games where the frame rates are so high it makes no difference. If NVidia does eventuslly win the race I'll be the first to give them credit and buy one of there cards but from what I have seen ATI has the best preformance in games that I play at the settings I play them at. They are also selling them for less $$$$$. No way can you find a 6800ultra for $435 or a 6800GT for $329 (thats what I paid for my X800pro). No one will convince me that any of the NVidia cards hold an advantage that equals $100 to $150.

Dyslexic said:

Lets see the reviews. I have seen every review out there that is using the latest drivers and i havn't seen a single one that shows that. The 6800u is just as good as the X800XT PE at AA + AF and the 6800u is much better at AA. The X800XT PE handles AF better. Its a trade off. The 6800u shines at higher resolutions like 1600x1200, just like the FX 5950 did. Except now the nVidia card handles AA + AF as well as the ATI card.

The 6800 cards support 32-bit floating-point, Vertex Shader 3.0, Pixel Shader 3.0, UltraShadow II Technology, and better AA. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the 6800's overclock better then the X800's. And i say that primarily because of the 6800GT which will hit 6800u speeds and faster and supports a full 16 pipelines unlike the X800 which supports 12. No matter how high you overclock the X800Pro it wont be able to do what the X800XT PE can because of that limitation.

The 6800u requires a bit more power then the X800XT PE does but thats common when the 6800u has 220 million transistors on its core compared to the measly 160 million on the X800XT PE. Anyone that has a name brand 400w PSU isn't going to have a problem running a 6800u. Anyone that doesn't have a 400w+ PSU most likely doesn't have enough money to buy a $500 video card to start with so there isn't a problem.

And please dont start it with the single slot, dual slot argument. There is no argument there. Unless you have a SFF case you have no excuse for bitching about it. Anyone that runs a PCI card seated up against their $500 video card is just shy of having a brain the size of a flea.

So according to ACTUAL reviews and not ATI fanboy BS the cards go like this:

6800u > X800XT PE > 6800GT > X800Pro > 6800nu

Dyslexic said:
Blah Blah Blah All you NVidia fanboys just keep coming up with excuses. Now you want to wait for new games to bench on. I thought the 6800ultra was like 500% faster with its new drivers, now we need to see new games for the 6800ultra to take the lead. I have read alot of reviews and in most of them including new ones the X800 XT is faster when AA and AF are enabled at higher res except for Quake 3 engine Open GL games where the frame rates are so high it makes no difference. If NVidia does eventuslly win the race I'll be the first to give them credit and buy one of there cards but from what I have seen ATI has the best preformance in games that I play at the settings I play them at. They are also selling them for less $$$$$. No way can you find a 6800ultra for $435 or a 6800GT for $329 (thats what I paid for my X800pro).

I want to see these reviews lol. I've seen them all and havn't seen that. I've posted at least a dozen reviews in the last few days and all the ones that use the new nVidia drivers show the 6800u as the fastest card without AA + AF and the cards tied with it enabled. Yes the X800XT PE takes a 1-5 fps lead with high AA + AF enabled in certain games but so does the 6800u. And when my 6800GT is laying waste to the X800XT PE in Doom 3 because of it being OpenGL, i'm going to have a party lol.

But seriously i want to see some of these reviews everyone else is seeing. And i dont want to see it unless its using the latest drivers.

In other words, put up or shut up.

EDIT: Here is an excellent thread over at the nV forums that details the 6800's and their AA + AF capabilities.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30641

burningrave101 said:

All those new features you are talking about are nice but useless until games suport them, and that wont be for a while. By then we will all have new cards to argue about.

From Techreport
"The Radeon X800 series cards perform best in some of our most intensive benchmarks based on newer games or requiring lots of pixel shading power, including Far Cry, Painkiller, UT2004, and 3DMark03's Mother Nature scene—especially at high resolutions with edge and texture antialiasing enabled. The X800s also have superior edge antialiasing. Their 6X multisampling mode reduces edge jaggies better than NVIDIA's 8xS mode, and the presence of temporal antialiasing only underscores ATI's leadership here."

The fact is both NVidia and ATI have made some great cards, but as of right now I can get a X800 XT for less than a 6800ultra $100 less. No matter which card is faster its not by much. Both have good points and bad points. For what I need from a GPU the X800pro for $329 is the card for me. If the choice is between the X800 XT and a 6800GT for about the same price I would get the X800 XT its a top of the line card with its closest compitition being the 6800ultra. :)

Dyslexic said:
All those new features you are talking about are nice but useless until games suport them, and that wont be for a while. By then we will all have new cards to argue about.

Yea ok lol.

Check out this thread here for just a handful of the new games that will be supporting the new tech THIS year.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=769494

Far Cry, Painkiller, HL2, MOH Pacific Assault, STALKER, Spliter Cell X, Maden 2005, Driver 3, Grafan, Vampire: Blodlines, and LOTR: Battle for Middle-earth are just a few to support Shader Model 3.0 this year.

Not to mention Doom 3 this year and UltraShadow II Technology. :rolleyes:

From Techreport
"The Radeon X800 series cards perform best in some of our most intensive benchmarks based on newer games or requiring lots of pixel shading power, including Far Cry, Painkiller, UT2004, and 3DMark03's Mother Nature scene—especially at high resolutions with edge and texture antialiasing enabled. The X800s also have superior edge antialiasing. Their 6X multisampling mode reduces edge jaggies better than NVIDIA's 8xS mode, and the presence of temporal antialiasing only underscores ATI's leadership here."

Unless they have released a new review, that is an old review using old drivers that dont count towards anything.

No the XT is faster than everything including the ultra. When AA and AF are enabled at higher res the X800 XT is a faster card. Who cares wich is faster with no AA and AF? I havent played a game without AA 4x and AF 8x in at least a year unless it is not an option. With CPU limitations you have to enable features to see what a card can do.
Sorry, not true. This isn't the FX vs. the XT. Trust ,me (I have one), you can crank up the fsaa and af all you want. Even at 8X FSAA and 16X AF, and forced trilinear, I still score over 6600 in 3dmark03 (12,849 @ default). I noticed you don't have an XT or Ultra, so your not really in a position to know.

StArWaRrIoR said:
How did you come to this conclusion?

Probably from all these "mysterious" reviews floating around on the net showing the X800XT PE kicking the hell out of the 6800u as soon as you enable AA + AF lol.

scott122 said:
Sorry, not true. This isn't the FX vs. the XT. Trust ,me (I have one), you can crank up the fsaa and af all you want. Even at 8X FSAA and 16X AF, and forced trilinear, I still score over 6600 in 3dmark03 (12,849 @ default). I noticed you don't have an XT or Ultra, so your not really in a position to know.

I can read reviews and get all the info I need. I could use the same arguement with you since you only have one of the cards. How do you know your 6800ultra is as fast as a X800 XT since you dont have a X800 XT? That is kinda silly dont you think? I have already said they are both great cards and fast as hell. Really its about the price in this case. You have got to be a real NVidia fanboy to get a 6800GT when you can get a X800 XT for almost the same price.

I don't buy the whole X800Xt is faster than the 6800U. I am not even close to a fanboy. infact, I have absolutely no brand favorite at all, and I've seen no reason to take the X800XT over the 6800U. Granted there were some concerns at first with the 6800U regarding heat and power consumption. Those were settled to my satisfaction and the newest drivers are definitely boosting it's performance.

Games I want that will support PS 3.0:

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault - Coming out this September
FarCry with 1.2 or 1.3 patch - This year I would assume
Tiger Woods 2005 - Most likely out later this year.

That's 3 games I know that will support it and I won't have to wait years until the next gen cards are out. Yes, they'll release faster versions of the X800XT and 6800U, but that's just clock increases which I'm not worried about. So bottom line, at no point will the X800s support PS 3.0 so that is not a viable upgrade for me.

Dyslexic said:
I can read reviews and get all the info I need. I could use the same arguement with you since you only have one of the cards. How do you know your 6800ultra is as fast as a X800 XT since you dont have a X800 XT? That is kinda silly dont you think? I have already said they are both great cards and fast as hell. Really its about the price in this case. You have got to be a real NVidia fanboy to get a 6800GT when you can get a X800 XT for almost the same price.

Those prices aren't staying that way bud. The X800XT PE is going for cheap right now as a "special offer". The MSRP on the X800XT PE is $499 just like the 6800u. The MSRP for the X800Pro is $399 just like the 6800GT. When these cards hit places like Newegg and the special deals are over their going to be priced in that price range. nVidia isn't going to try and charge $100 more for their card then what ATI is offering their X800XT PE.

The reason the 6800 ultras are so expensive is because there are so few on the market right now. They are starting to pump more and more out every day now though. There are a whole bunch of board makers jumping in the mix for the 6800 series cards. In a few weeks i look for prices to fall on the 6800u and it to be in the same price range as the X800XT PE. The 6800GT should go for the same price as the X800Pro upon its release next week. The 6800's have been running their MSRP at $299 for a couple of weeks now and thats because they are in good supply. The main reason for that is they dont use the high speed QDDR3 memory.

burningrave101 said:
Lets see the reviews. I have seen every review out there that is using the latest drivers and i havn't seen a single one that shows that. The 6800u is just as good as the X800XT PE at AA + AF and the 6800u is much better at AA. The X800XT PE handles AF better. Its a trade off. The 6800u shines at higher resolutions like 1600x1200, just like the FX 5950 did. Except now the nVidia card handles AA + AF as well as the ATI card.

The 6800 cards support 32-bit floating-point, Vertex Shader 3.0, Pixel Shader 3.0, UltraShadow II Technology, and better AA. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the 6800's overclock better then the X800's. And i say that primarily because of the 6800GT which will hit 6800u speeds and faster and supports a full 16 pipelines unlike the X800 which supports 12. No matter how high you overclock the X800Pro it wont be able to do what the X800XT PE can because of that limitation.

The 6800u requires a bit more power then the X800XT PE does but thats common when the 6800u has 220 million transistors on its core compared to the measly 160 million on the X800XT PE. Anyone that has a name brand 400w PSU isn't going to have a problem running a 6800u. Anyone that doesn't have a 400w+ PSU most likely doesn't have enough money to buy a $500 video card to start with so there isn't a problem.

And please dont start it with the single slot, dual slot argument. There is no argument there. Unless you have a SFF case you have no excuse for bitching about it. Anyone that runs a PCI card seated up against their $500 video card is just shy of having a brain the size of a flea.

The actual reviews voted the XT/PE the better card. It's funny seeing THG, known Nvidiot voting the XT the superior card. Plus the only reason the ultra has been doing better is from their new 'non-WHQL' approved drivers. As usual. :rolleyes:

agar said:
The actual reviews voted the XT/PE the better card. It's funny seeing THG, known Nvidiot voting the XT the superior card. Plus the only reason the ultra has been doing better is from their new 'non-WHQL' approved drivers. As usual. :rolleyes:

Yea the actual reviews using the 60.72 drivers lol. You can call them non-WHQL or whatever else you want but they've already been tested thoroughly on quite a few forums and hardware sites and people that actually have 6800 series cards.

So as usual, nVidia is sqeezing more and more performance out of their cards. Something ATI has never been able to do.

That's the problem. The reviews don't support what your saying :rolleyes:

If you read reviews you would realize the GT competes against the Pro, and the XT competes againts the Ultra. So far the GT spanks the Pro and the XT vs. 6800 U is a draw.

You need to ignore the prices right now. A GT can go go for anywhere from $303-$499. An Ultra or XT anywhere from $434 to over $600.

burningrave101 said:
Those prices aren't staying that way bud. The X800XT PE is going for cheap right now as a "special offer". The MSRP on the X800XT PE is $499 just like the 6800u. The MSRP for the X800Pro is $399 just like the 6800GT. When these cards hit places like Newegg and the special deals are over their going to be priced in that price range. nVidia isn't going to try and charge $100 more for their card then what ATI is offering their X800XT PE.

The reason the 6800 ultras are so expensive is because there are so few on the market right now. They are starting to pump more and more out every day now though. There are a whole bunch of board makers jumping in the mix for the 6800 series cards. In a few weeks i look for prices to fall on the 6800u and it to be in the same price range as the X800XT PE. The 6800GT should go for the same price as the X800Pro upon its release next week. The 6800's have been running their MSRP at $299 for a couple of weeks now and thats because they are in good supply. The main reason for that is they dont use the high speed QDDR3 memory.

So whats your point? Prices always fall. The question is should this person buy a 6800GT for $422 or a X800 XT for $435 seems like the X800 XT would be the better choice. Everyone knows that the 6800s are hard to come by right now and that is why they cost more. Actually both ATi and NVidia cards are in short supply it just so happens that right now the ATIs are going for less. It seems to me like this is a good time to take advantage of these prices on ATI cards it is rare to get brand new tech for less than the MSRP.

burningrave101 said:
Yea the actual reviews using the 60.72 drivers lol. When are you guys going to get it through your thick heads that anything pre 61.34 is worthless. nVidia has ALWAYS done better with their drivers then ATI has. nVidia's drivers are more stable and give larger performance boosts. You can call them non-WHQL or whatever else you want but they've already been tested thoroughly on quite a few forums and hardware sites and people that actually have 6800 series cards.

When are you going to get it through your head that these drivers are NOT WHQL CERTIFIED. Hence, all of these reviews that use them aren't doing you as a consumer any justice. I've seen this same BS happen with the NV3x and new magically released non approved whql drivers. And then realize a month later when the certified drivesr come out performance wasn't as it seems. It's fing helarious to see the same shit happen over and over, people don't seem to take any facts into consideration when buying a product. I'm not saying the 6800u is junk, I'm saying, calm the hell down and get some facts straight before jumping to conclusions.

Edit: Hey scott, from THG "Until then, the new performance leader is ATi's Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition." That's just one review, you need me to past more?

Even with BETA drivers the Ultra is just about dead even with the XT. Additionally, the XT is a topped-out design, where as the Ultra is new from the ground up. At this point they are very even. The Ultra has the advantage because the performance limits are just starting to be explored, and we don't even have anything beyond BETA drivers running it.

scott122 said:
Even with BETA drivers the Ultra is just about dead even with the XT. Additionally, the XT is a topped-out design, where as the Ultra is new from the ground up. At this point they are very even. The Ultra has the advantage because the performance limits are just starting to be explored, and we don't even have anything beyond BETA drivers running it.

Have you been reading? The R520 is still going to use R300 tech :eek:. It's far from "topped-out"

Edit: Hey scott, from THG "Until then, the new performance leader is ATi's Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition." That's just one review, you need me to past more?
Yes, post more, because what you posted is an "OPINION", not the hard numbers. Opinions are nice, but the numbers are what counts.

EDIT: Don't post anything with pre-61.34 drivers. They are not valid benchmarks, sorry. Coming from a 9800 Pro (very satified) I was very careful, and read as many reviews as I could find. the only reason for the XT being labeled as the "leader" was the two-slot solution and high power requirements ( :rolleyes: ). Seriously, if your paying $499 wouldn't you already have a good power supply? Second, who uses PCI slot 1? Not me. Additionally, only one connector is required on the 6800 Ultra (tried it and it works fine). You only need 2 if you overclock. Notice none of the reviews stated that under stock clocks, that only one molex connector is needed?

Back