The First Overclock - from the waycool department

ickywu

[H]ard|Gawd
Front Pic Back Pic

Overclocking had to begin somewhere. This is where. I believe this to be the first publicly available overclock tool. It was designed to take the IBM AT system running at 6mHz and overclock it to 8mHz by strapping in a new "high frequency" crystal oscillator. Slip the BIOS chip from it's socket, insert the mod board, replace the BIOS, clip a couple pins, and you were

FLYING.

'S'ok, though. If 8mHz was too much for you, you could use the included switch to drop back. Good for some inane copy protection schemes or bad reflexes on your fragging hobbies.

For half of us in this forum, this is our "roots" It's where it all began. I believe it was advertised in "Microsystems Journal" In fact, I might be able to dig up advertisements. So what's a reasonable price for the "birth of a nation?" $500 sounds right to me.

And that's SHIPPED Hey, even if you don't want it, it's cool to look at.

I don't believe it's worth $500, but it is one hella cool item. Talk to the Smithsonian (spelling?) or the Fry's Computer Museum in Cali.

ownerizer said:
I don't believe it's worth $500, but it is one hella cool item. Talk to the Smithsonian (spelling?) or the Fry's Computer Museum in Cali.

You have wounded me ownerizer, wounded me. :p Ah, but I will take your thread crap as the otherwise sincere offering of the uninformed, much as the jungle animal must react to the flash and roar of the jumbo jet overhead.

How fast does this load up win xp? Does it beat the athlon 64 in any of the benchmarks? How many marks does it get on 3dmark?
Interested, bump
:) :) :cool:

call me ignorant...but what would this thing acutally do for mondern PCs?

Viper87227 said:
call me ignorant...but what would this thing acutally do for mondern PCs?

About the same as the Mona Lisa would do for that velvet elvis you got in the living room. <g>

Lemme "axe" you:

I wanted to do a color check because I really like the color setup of this forun and I'm interested in the visibility of the default colors. I've kind of drifted to using Lime
for prices. Don't want to if you can't see it. So tell me which colors look hard to read to you. I keep seeing listings where I can't read half the message. The numbers would be enough.

1. Lime
2. Red
3. Yellow Green
4. Yellow
5. Magenta
6. Medium Turquoise
7. Sandy Brown

Also, the is the only sales forum where I can't figure how to put a Heat link in my sig

Seems to work ok in the message but not the sig. for example

Heat

Must be a trick to it. I'm gonna spread this msg around as a bump so I get a few answers.

thanks

oh, bump

You just can't have links in your sig
Just post the url.

And all the colors are pretty easy to read for me.

In the old days of the TRS-80 CoCo, we could overclock the CPU from 0.9Mhz to 1.8Mhz with a POKE 65495,0 command. Although it sucked if you forgot to POKE 65494,0 to return to normal speed before loading or saving programs on the cassette drive, hours of typing in code lost in an I/O error.

Geez...all ya had to do was desolder the crystal oscillator on the motherboard, put in a socket, and you could drop in any speed oscillator you wanted to. My favorite mod back then was take the 386DX 25MHz and drop in a 40MHz crystal. That was before CPUs had heatsinks on them too, they'd get pretty toasty. But oooooo, those extra few MHz would make Wolf3D fly.

Take that kiddies....

Bonus1000 - Hehe, the ol' POKE command, ahh, brings back memories. We had similar things for the VIC20 and C64.

33% overclock is nothign to sniff at, good find :), my first overclock was a pentium 100 mhz.

yea, we used to do that all teh time.
we used to go to radio shack a buy the chip.
i think it was like $50. you dont need all of that other stuff

Boing!!!

Sorry not a buyer

Bit hazy now but I remember just soldering in new PLL chips and flashing the bios, though I don't remember if that was with newer or older systems. Probaby newer ...

Anyway thanks for showing off your toy

My first overclock was a AMD 586 overdrive pelter cooled running at 200mhz. I refused to upgrade till the good old K6 300 came out!

Yikes things arn't the way they used to be.

Mackintire

One of my favourites back in high school (this was maybe 3 or 4 years back, though) was to take a 486 SX 25 and overclock it to 50 with no cooling on the processor whatsoever. ;)
I did this to 3 out of 4 machines; the 4th one would only do 40. :)

Looks like a couple of people here arent reading the fs/ft rules...

(19) No THREAD CRAPPING. It is rude and will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with the price, contact the seller directly, do not post it in the thread.

adamaluy said:
Geez...all ya had to do was desolder the crystal oscillator on the motherboard, put in a socket, and you could drop in any speed oscillator you wanted to. My favorite mod back then was take the 386DX 25MHz and drop in a 40MHz crystal. That was before CPUs had heatsinks on them too, they'd get pretty toasty. But oooooo, those extra few MHz would make Wolf3D fly.

Take that kiddies....
i did that, apparently my 486dx 25mhz didnt like being run at 133mhz
:p

Hmm... my first overclock was probably a K6-2/300 @ 350, it wouldn't get much higher than that. My best overclock was probably either a p90@133MHz, or my dual celeron 366@550 MHz. Those were the days... now you're lucky to get a few hundred MHz extra out of a chip. :D

adamaluy said:

Take that kiddies....

That's kind of the point. By the time the 386 came around things were getting pretty easy. It wasn't quite as easy with the 8088/86 and 286. By the time things hit 10mHz, it was an industry.

While my first PC was a blazzing fast 8086-2. I my first O/C didn't happen till much later. I overclocked my Cyrix 6x86 166+ to a Cyrix 6x86 200+. It was faster then my friends brand new Gateway 2000 P133 he paid 5k for. Granted I didn't have as many bells a whistles but it was pretty damn fast then.

Oh an who can foget the 300A's those were the days!

adamaluy said:
Bonus1000 - Hehe, the ol' POKE command, ahh, brings back memories. We had similar things for the VIC20 and C64.

We did?

Which poke Command overclocked the Motorola 6510 past it's stock 1.023mhz?

I started pretty late. My first OC was a Celeron 333 @ 450 in an Abit BE6-II, with stock cooling (no fan). Ran pretty hot and sometimes didn't boot windows, but it made my Quake3 nice and fast.

He My first overclock was a 8088 [xt] that i replaaced the CPU to a nec V-20
froma bout 4mhz to 10 mhz! woot!

Kingofl337 said:
While my first PC was a blazzing fast 8086-2. I my first O/C didn't happen till much later. I overclocked my Cyrix 6x86 166+ to a Cyrix 6x86 200+. It was faster then my friends brand new Gateway 2000 P133 he paid 5k for. Granted I didn't have as many bells a whistles but it was pretty damn fast then.

Oh an who can foget the 300A's those were the days!

You freak, how can you oc a cyrix, can't be done, never ever, lol, my orignal cyrix 166mhz was running so hot i can burn my figures on it. It was the worst proccessor in the world, damn sales man told me to get that instead of the pentium, LIES, ALL LIES!

Spare-Flair said:
My first overclock was pushing the Turbo Button on my AMD 386.
!

That AMD 386 processor was an awesome CPU back in the day.. I retired it several years ago.. It was my router for long time..

386 + 16MB + SBPro + 110 HD = Good Fun

I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that he wants $500 for a piece of junk.
It's not a work of art or historical object. It's just junk.

adamaluy said:

I wonder If that would work on a coco 3 :p

Oh, and props for getting linkage on the [H] main page

Pretty cool piece of O/C history. Still, $500? Considering it's useless at this point, it's like trying to sell a NeXT client for $1000 without a server. It's nostalga that should be donated for the cause, not sold for the sake of it.

Sou| Colossus: I did the same overclock! Same board as well I believeI managed +500, but it was quite unstable unless you cranked the voltage and ran a stronger heatsink. It made Giess sing in conjunction with my TNT2.

Back