Just got the Samsung 710T

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny77

Limp Gawd
Hello I just picked up the 710T from Monitors Direct. Now i love it but It still has ghosting and washed out colors.

When I Play counter strike. The monitor is very bright and the colors are really washed out and jumpy.

When I play unreal 2004 it looks great but they seem washed out and when yuo fall off of a cliff I level I notice the ghosting

I still love the Monitor dont knwo if i will keep it yet.

I came from a old 13.9" gateway EV500 crt. and it did play counter strike better than this monitor does and Unreal also, But i could just be very used to that monitor after using it for 6 years

Brightness 35

Contrast is at 75

are there any other tweaks I can do for this to amke it look better. i am running at 1280x1040

I have 1 dead pixel and it is white on a black backround should I worry about it

You better not be using VGA to post this review. Because, the colors on mine are beautifully crisp and clear (I do graphic design, so I can tell).

If the pixel annoys you; yes. If not; no.

Hey Vinny,

Sounds like you arent that happy with the 710T.

I think it's just really hard to get used to the nicer newer monitor after using the old monitor for so long.

I dont think the 1 pixel is worth taking it back vs the hassel.

I really like the 172x. Games play awsome on it. The colors are really nice too. I'm not really sure if there is much ghosting but i'm pretty sure there isnt any if i'm thinking right.

I'm just trying to get used to how bright the white is.

But when I lower the brightness the white turns kinda grey. You think I should try your settings of brightness and contrast of 35 and 75?

Well the text is super crisp. Its just that it counter strike maybe becouse Its a old game it doesnt look to good

Scheizekopf did u send urs back with that 1 dead red pixel

vinny77 said:
Scheizekopf did u send urs back with that 1 dead red pixel

No I didnt. I'm still thinking about it. I tried calling them twice and I never got ahold of the person I needed to talk to I guess. And also I called Samsung and they said that they wont take back monitors with only 1 dead pixel.

hey vinny, did you try calibrating the colors on your lcd yet? the samsung cd comes with calibration tools

Oh yeah I ahve gotten used to it now and there is still some ghosting, but I can deal with that

The text is so sharp

I was playing quake 2 on it yesterday and I didn't see any ghosting.. looked the same as the crt I was playing on. I have really enjoyed it so far. =)

Yeah, I got my 710T yesterday as well and i am not totally happy with this LCD. I agree that colors are washed out and there is a lot ghosting. In my opinion the 12ms rating is overstated. Of course I use DVI-D connection. I had a few LCDs in the past couple of months and this one is worst. Even 172x is better than this LCD. The new 19" Sharp LCD which is rated at 16ms is far better for gaming than this LCD. I played UT2004 on both LCDs and UT looked far better on Sharp. In fact I will risk to say that the new Samsung 193P rated at 20ms does not have that much more ghosting than this LCD but 193P is far superior to 710T when it comes to image quality and color reproduction.

Really this is my 1st LCd and I think its quite nice.

you really think the 172x is better

explain why becouse If it is il trade this one in for the172x

I just got this monitor and am immensely satisfied. No dead pixels and wow the colors are great. Tried ut2k3 and its just like playing on a CRT to me. Highly recommended.

BombermanX said:
You better not be using VGA to post this review.
Just a quick question as I'm debating getting the 710t or 172x. Are you using DVI? Thanks.

I really dont get Ghhosting in Unreal since I changed my resolution to the monitors native one 1280x1024.

I still get ghosting on the walls in counter strike

I played UT2004 and Battlefield 1942 and in my opinion 710t exibits heavy ghosting. Samsung 193p which is rated at 20ms was not much worse if at all in terms of ghosting compared to this LCD . I am disappointed with 710t and I regreat that I did not keep 193p as in terms of color reproduction and image quality 193p is the best LCD ever with very acceptable ghosting in most of the games (FarCry excluded). Maybe my unit is damaged in some way as my experience with 710t is much different than most of you ??

I'm surprised at your results since I thought this model was better than the 172X, especially in colors.

I have no idea My screen is excessivly bright when I tuen brightness up. The picture is the sharpest Ive ever seen with text and web browing on any monitor crt or Lcd

I watch kill bill and it played great

better than on a crt

oozish I think it is better in color reproduction

I just played halo and noticed ghosting onlt 1 rime, In blood gulch when you play CTF and you drive warthog and you spin out the dust can be a tad pixilated just under the car, But its unboticable if you arent looking for it

I recieved My Samsung 710T on Thursday morning at 11:53 Am.

Please excuse My typing i took my time on this but Have terrible typing skills

So bare with me

MY Terms

can actually say that I dont know exactly what ghosting is.

On the 710T if you consider ghosting, if you move your gun fast, in a first person shooter and you see a trail and slur or ghost of the image, The is abolutely none of that. 00000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000

If you consider ghosting what I precive it to be, That if the texture on a game is very complex and as you run by a wall or drop off of a cliff and see a slight blur, yes there is some of that

Bluuring is the Mixing of the colors or braud Objects

So tell em what it is I dont know

Step 1

I unpacked it and it was very heavy but looked gorgeous. It is really sleek. So I took my old crt and threw it out in the living room and then cleard off my desk. Sat it right in the back center of desk. i than noticed that the Vga cord was connected to it so i took it off and attached the DVI. This was my first time dealing with a DVI connection so I was a little nervouse

Step 2

Once i got it all plugged in, I turned on my computer. The monitor was extremly bright. The whites are very bright. almost blinding. So then I installed the monitors drivers and MagicTune. I then used Magic bright to calibrate it, It is just easier. I set my contrast to 76 and my brightness to 36. It looked very good to me.

Games

On all of the games i tested at 1st I did not have the games set to the Monitors native resolution 1280x1024. I got a little ghosting in some games and a little more in others
So i recoomed running all games at 1280x1024

Farcry
In farcry running at 1280x1024, The game looks simply amazing. I can say better than any crt I have ever used. I have a decent graphics card so i didnt know when the picture Distortion was from GPU or Monitor. the game looks grea and could not notice any ghosting or washed ou colors. The only time i saw ghosting was when you shoot the hand gun at the floor and move the mouse around fast looking at the 3 bullet holes, if you see more than 5 holes from your origional 3 then you are ghosting. I can say that I did se sometimes up to 6 at times.

Farcry is amazing

Unreal tournament 2004

In unreal 2004 i also ran at 1280x1024. The game looks great, but not better than a high end CRT. there is some ghosting but only on wall textures. even when you just run by the wall you can notice just a tad of blurring and ghosting. But still very exciting to play.

Counter strike

Counter strike is the all out worst. The game looks good and is playable on the competitive level with this monitor. Especially for a 5 year old game there was same blutting and gosting on maps such and Dust dust 2 and aztec, Just running threw the maps you will notice some blurring. the characters look good but you need to max out the AA and AF on your graphics card to even make them look decent on any monitor or any pc. I play In Cal IM and Play with this so its ok. I just ahve no idea why a 5 year old game gosts more than farcry, make no snense to me

Halo
halo is a grappy looking game all together. At 1280x1024, There is no gosting and its a Butiful game to play on this monitor.

The Solitare Test
The test is done by maximizing Solitare and taking 1 card and dragging it from left to right slowly and then picking up the pace. You will se gosting on every Monitor at a moderate speed. While there is very Noticable ghosting here, It is still seen on all of my Crts, The Lcd is also far worse in the ghosting In this test.

Web Browsing
The text on this Monitor is very sharp and so is the color. The text is by far the sharpest ive ever seen on any monitor. It is really really sharp. You will notice some jitter whem scrolling down a website just pressing the arrow. This si actually the hardest thing for a computer and its monitor to do. and this monitor does it very well. There is some ghosting but no more than a entry level Crt

Color Reproduction
The 16.7 Million colors on this monitor are great. The colors On the 710T will put any CRt to shame. and I swear by that

The Look
The external is a syandard samsmg LCD color. It Is slightly heavy and Looks as if it wall mounted but It is not. A really nice effect. I love the way it looksa nd think its looks better than 172x

Controls

I havent used them i only used magic tune becouse it is easier and you get better results.

I think this Monitor is great. i have never actually owned another LCD but ahve used friends and this monitor Is far supirior. The quality in image is great. Most better tha CRT

As for ghosting it is still there and at the Moment, if this monitor Ghosts all others also do. While if you use this monitor for a few days the very very slight ghosting will be irelevant.

I will Give This Monitor Compared to The top CRT I ahve ever used a
8/10​

I would reccomend this monitor Now anybody who has The 172X please compare your usage to Mine and we can define which is the better Monitor

So anybody with 172X please poost I need to know, I ahve to know how to compare

I have used my 710t with UT2k4, and I noticed a lot of blurring on textures, but when I set my aa to 4x and af to 16x; the blurring was all but gone.

Good review.

Edit: Oh, and I can personally confirm that the 710t has MUCH better color reproduction and brightness than the 172x. The only thing I don't have enough to tell you is whether it ghosts less (solitaire seems better on the 710t, but I haven't had them side to side - just between trips to fry's).

I am sure that 710t is a fine LCD. I guess my bad opinion of 710t comes form the fact that I had 193p for 2 weeks and 193p is superior in everything but ms. At least in theory. I played Battlefield 1942, Unreal Tournament 2004 (demo) and Need For Speed Underground and I did not see a "HUGE" difference between two LCDs. I would expect from LCD rated at 12ms to have little or none ghosting but with me this is simply not the case. Can video card or drivers have something to do with it ?

Dude...12ms isnt much lower than 16ms, and they have ghosting too. Until LCDs get in the 6ms and lower realm, I imagine that ghosting will still be evident. If you bought this LCD to expect no ghosting, then you messed up. If anyone truly cared about FPS or really fast paced games and doesn't want ghosting, they should get/stick to a CRT.

When I get my 710T next Wednesday, I will do a thorough and complete review, including highres pictures of the monitor. :)

"Can video card or drivers have something to do with it ?"

low framerates can make ghosting look a lot worse

Excelsior said:
When I get my 710T next Wednesday, I will do a thorough and complete review, including highres pictures of the monitor. :)

Have you used the 710T I am now happy That I ordered it from Monitors directa dn that i can return it If I want to

I have not used it yet. It gets here Wednesday next week, July 7th.

Monitors Direct actually gave me some trouble, becasue I wanted to change the CC that I ordered it with, but they wouldn't let me. Tried to cancel the order but they are shipping it anyway, or at least they had shipped it before I could cancel it. Now I have two 710Ts coming, but I have to send the one I got from monitors direct back to them.

Anyone have any suggestions for the review?

Compare ghosting side by side to a competent CRT? Most people know the advantages of using an LCD, but many would like to know just what they're giving up. I would kill for the brightness, color reproduction, and fast response times, but I have the same thing with this Viewsonic P95f+, just blurrier text. (and bigger, heavier, and hot running...)

-How do the ghosting tests, in your opinion, compare to a good CRT?
-How distracting is it? Can you choose to live with it/ignore it easily, like AG lines on Trinitrons?

I can pretty much assume that, besides ghosting, it will best my current monitor in every way. And with an X800 Pro, I will be able to always play at the native resolution-- I will give up AA, but I will never give up my 8X AF, lol.

I think I will hook up both my 19" Viewsonic A90 and the 710T, then play different games, having them displayed on both monitors, and compare.

I ran Ut2k4 with 2x AA anf 6x AF and il tell yuop there was less ghosting and blurrring/ so the higher quality the texture is, the less ghosting

farcry ===almost none

Couter strike.=== Some

It doesnt make sense but its true

I Only have a 9600xt so I really cant test up to the games full potential

I played alot of need for Speed underground today and there was 0 ghosting. I was vfery suprised since that game has alot of lights and shiny objects in it. It looked buitiful

im pretty sure the amount of ghosting has a lot more to do with what colors are changing than how complex the textures are.

for example, most new lcd monitors have a lot harder time transitioning from gray to a different shade of gray that they do going from black to white or one color to another. Counterstrike ghosts a lot not because of its textures but because it is a mostly gray game.

Oh ok, I understand now. I mean the ghosting in Counter strike, Is not bad, It is not noticeable after 2 days of play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back