Best Nforce2 Ultra 400 motherboard out there?

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey everyone,

I am wanting to know what is the best AMD Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobo out there on the market currently. What I am going to be doing with it is video editing, gaming, and Graphics work. So I know I will need one that can handle an AMD Barton 3000+(cause that is what I got from a friend for free), at least a gig of ram right? I will need many(read 4+) USB2.0 ports and some Firewire. On board audio must be good, but the video does not need to be, I will be putting an ATI Radeon9800Pro256mb I think.

So, what mobo is the best, keeping in mind that overclocking is not an interest that I have.

I have been looking at the DFI series, but can't decide and I have also looked at the Asus A78X V something or rather mobo....to many choices out there. :confused:

i've been using the DFI Ultra Infinity for almost 6 months now and it's got to be my favorite. Nothing's been more stable, it's got plenty of luxury options, and the price was definitely right (under $100 shipped)

NF7-S rev 2.0.. except no substitutes.. It's quite simply the best NF2 board there is..

I would recommend AGAINST the DFI boards, as they quite simply have shitty quality control.. you can go over to the amdmb.com forums or the nforcershq.com forums, and you will see that is the consensus.. they have sub par AGP performance, cold boot issues, and many other stability problems..

the NF7-S is tried and true.. it is a great overclocker, is EXTREMELY stable, and has an amazing community with alot of support... For $85, it has what you need..

I've got an Abit NF7-S and a Chaintech 7NJS Zenith Ultra, and they both perform about identically. The package that comes with the Chaintech, however, cannot be beat by another other board.

Both boards are running AQXEA stepping 2500+s at 2.3GHz no problem.

Thanks everyone....I will go with the NF7-S rev 2.0. The Egg has is right now for 82.00 with free shipping....limit one per customer-BOOOOO! Anyway, I decided to get this one since most of you recomended it and I read the reviews that I found through Google. Thanks again people.

Stay safe this holiday. ;)

the DFI ultra infinity actually overclocks a hell of alot better than the NF7-S. Whens the last time you saw 250 FSB out of an NF7-S? Let alone stock? The DFIs do indeed have a few issues, but as long as youre not a pansy and can flash a bios, and dont mind the possibility of a problem, then the infinity provides much better milage. The NF7 is old news, and the top benchers show it.

sKiTz0 said:
the DFI ultra infinity actually overclocks a hell of alot better than the NF7-S. Whens the last time you saw 250 FSB out of an NF7-S? Let alone stock? The DFIs do indeed have a few issues, but as long as youre not a pansy and can flash a bios, and dont mind the possibility of a problem, then the infinity provides much better milage. The NF7 is old news, and the top benchers show it.

I've heard of and seen A LOT of those boards not last very long at FSB's that high. In fact a friend of mine and his three friends all had the same board and all of them died with FSB's in excess of 240 after a month or so.

wow. DFI > Abit now for NF2 boards, geeze get with the times.

Go over to XS, they'll all tell you...

As for the aformentioned problems with the DFI boards those are old news also. With the newer BIOS's they do not have "cold boot issues" anymore or anything of the like. I think it was someone who said, "..as long as your not a pansy and can flash a BIOS then the DFI board is fine.." or something like that and he couldn't be more right.

Mangina said:
What about the AN7?
Its pretty much known to be a mobo filled with features...but it doesn't oc too high past 200/210fsb. People tend to recommend or pick the NF7-S over the AN7. The DFI Infiniti trumps them both though in the oc/performance department, more extreme bios options etc etc.

About the DFI option, you know that to get rid of cold boot you have to (for now) use a beta bios which is not supported by DFI, and voids your warranty. Still alot of people with various problems with high FSB. Getting better though, but stability is no where near the NF7_S. I would agree though if you are a halfway advanced user and can deal with, and wrangle with a few potential issues the DFI would be the way to go for 240-260 FSB. If <240 I would get the Abit for general stability. I have a friend that is a DFI reseller locally and we have messed with the infinity for fun lately (this past weekend) and I got 255 FSB with an M2600 with a beta bios and a few mods. I like the Abit overall better though for a all round PC motherboard that will overclock to 230-235-240 (with L12) without losing core mobo funtions. Again if you want to go past 240 get the DFI (just an opinion).

doesnt the DFI also have really flakey voltage problems?
Like the voltage dips super low or some shit?

zone_86 said:
About the DFI option, you know that to get rid of cold boot you have to (for now) use a beta bios which is not supported by DFI, and voids your warranty. Still alot of people with various problems with high FSB. Getting better though, but stability is no where near the NF7_S. I would agree though if you are a halfway advanced user and can deal with, and wrangle with a few potential issues the DFI would be the way to go for 240-260 FSB. If <240 I would get the Abit for general stability. I have a friend that is a DFI reseller locally and we have messed with the infinity for fun lately (this past weekend) and I got 255 FSB with an M2600 with a beta bios and a few mods. I like the Abit overall better though for a all round PC motherboard that will overclock to 230-235-240 (with L12) without losing core mobo funtions. Again if you want to go past 240 get the DFI (just an opinion).

Just be wary the pontential lack of long term reliability when your FSB is clocked that high. I've seen a lot of blown DFI boards...

I'm contemplating on doing the L12 mod but i'm not sure if I can do it on my Mobile Barton 2600+. I've heard the L12 mod isn't for barton cores but no mention about mobile bartons. I'm also using modded bios that claims it implementes the L12 mod in BIOS but i doubt it is working. At this point, I believe my NF2 is one of those that don't OC very well past 220fsb. At 220 I'm still not very stable. I'm seriously contemplating getting a DFI infinity to get me stable around 220 to 230 since I've heard so much from this board.

please note the New NF7 with the new NB fan and colored DIMM slots form the original black ones arent that great and OC very very poorly

someone please correct me if I am wrong

Tiny said:
Hey everyone,

I am wanting to know what is the best AMD Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobo out there on the market currently. What I am going to be doing with it is video editing, gaming, and Graphics work. So I know I will need one that can handle an AMD Barton 3000+(cause that is what I got from a friend for free), at least a gig of ram right? I will need many(read 4+) USB2.0 ports and some Firewire. On board audio must be good, but the video does not need to be, I will be putting an ATI Radeon9800Pro256mb I think.

So, what mobo is the best, keeping in mind that overclocking is not an interest that I have.

I have been looking at the DFI series, but can't decide and I have also looked at the Asus A78X V something or rather mobo....to many choices out there. :confused:

See my sig below...has SATA raid...AND all the processer's multipliers are unlocked with no wiretrick :) give soltek a try...they make decent mobos...

DASHlT

no amount of beta bios's will every fix the fact that DFI used shitty parts on their nf2 mobo's... they can lesson the effects, but they will still have issues.. just go over to amdmb.com's forums sometime, and browse the DFI forums.. the overal impression is the same.. ok board, but not ready for prime time..

BattleMaster said:
Just be wary the pontential lack of long term reliability when your FSB is clocked that high. I've seen a lot of blown DFI boards...

i agree - and i don't own one for that very reason. i have a shuttle an35n. in the shop we sell only the al/ultra al (very good motherboard). we won't stock infinities or lp boards.

any thoughts on the asus a7n8x-e deluxe??? just wondering as i had my original a7n8x crap out on me recently so i'm in the market for a new mobo.

The Asus can't touch the Abit NF7-S I've had both. Get a NF7-S v2.0. If you buy anything else its a waste. The DFI board is good also but has had alot of RMA problems.

the asus will get you a moderate overclock and has passive cooling, the abit has active cooling and get's a much higher overlock. both use the si3112a sata controller. both are very good. if overclocking i would go for the abit for sure. probably even if i were not overclocking.

yeah its too bad it has the silicon raid controller, the promise is much better, btw

go nf7-s, great stable mobo great cost. i say wait a while for pci -e tho.........

also i'll mention the an7... heard it's pretty unstable still... that about all there is to say about it?

i really wanted to go with an ultra 400 chipset... but... i'm willing to compromise.

thujone said:
also i'll mention the an7... heard it's pretty unstable still... that about all there is to say about it?

i really wanted to go with an ultra 400 chipset... but... i'm willing to compromise.

i had an an7 and it was perfectly stable. i loved that board

i had a really bad experience with the a7n8x-e deluxe,i wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

as for the whole DFI is sub-par debate, i don't see any material behind the claims. i personally own two had have for a while now,never a problem with high FSB, stability,or quality. they are all around great motherboards.

get whatevers cheaper for the features. i personally didn't get the NF7 because of the ATX plug connector loaction was poorly layed out and the active NB cooling. the ATX plug would have gotten in the way of my rear 120mm fan, no way to direct the cable around it.if your case uses 80 or 90mm fans you should have ample room to get it around the side though.

zone_86 said:
the asus will get you a moderate overclock and has passive cooling, the abit has active cooling and get's a much higher overlock. both use the si3112a sata controller. both are very good. if overclocking i would go for the abit for sure. probably even if i were not overclocking.

yes but on the other hand the Abit active chipset coolers die real easy from what I hear so you'll end up spending the 12 bucks for a nice chipset cooler anyhow, either way.

~Adam

Question, do these boards support IDE raid as well as SATA, or do they just support SATA raid? The Abit website for the AN7 says it supports both, just curious about the NF7-S and maybe the SolTek board too.

CzarDestructo said:
as for the whole DFI is sub-par debate, i don't see any material behind the claims. i personally own two had have for a while now,never a problem with high FSB, stability,or quality. they are all around great motherboards.

I hoped you knocked on wood when you said that, heh.

he wants best board!!!!! not ocing. get the abit nf7 or nf7-s if u have sata rock soild boards getting another one in a few days.never had a prob and im doing the same with my board that u want to do!!.GET ABIT!!!!!. :D

I have a NF7-S and don't have a single complaint with it. I'm not much of an overclocker though and was happy with 200x12 which is about where my cheap ram craps out anyways. Originally I had ordered a DFI LP but it was dead on arrival so I took that as a sign to stay away from them. From the little I have seen of my friends computer running his works perfectly and I haven't heard a complaint about it out of him. I don't think you can go wrong with either board, especially if overclocking isn't to much of an issue.

When I built my last box, I originally bought a DFI LanParty board. It had everything I wanted in a motherboard, it had good reviews, it looked like a great board. I wasn't looking at OCing the board at all. I bought a AMD Barton 3200+ (I almost put down a 3400, but the remembered that was the model of the computer I was working on at work yesterday...duh.. :rolleyes: ). I went through two boards from NewEgg and couldn't get either one to work. The first one suffered from the ZIF socket not being fully connected to the motherboard (I hope they got those QC problems fixed), the second board had some other problem where I couldn't get the pair of PC3200 memory to work. It would only work with on chip in, not with both.

I finally went with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, used the same memory, HD, processor and the box is rock solid. No problems at all. Now all I need for it is a better video card, and a nice LCD monitor. :D

Just goes to show you that motherboard bias opinions are horseshit.

I originally ordered a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, I had about 4 major problems with it(including ram not working with it ;) ), i RMAed it and got the Lanparty and it worked perfectly without a single problem.

Buy whatevers cheapest and use it.

Back