Enermax:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3753

Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-910&depa=0

Another Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-922&depa=0

And Another Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-918&depa=0

btw whats the difference between these three Antecs?

Now the question is, which is the best psu within the list i gave(or from elsewhere)? The models i listed, other than the Antecs all have PFC, which seems to be important (tho i have no clue what this is really, can someone explain???). Some ppl recommended the Antec 550W to me, perhaps cuz it has separate 3v/5v/12v rails. Should i go antec coz of this?

The real question is, is 550W overkill? I think all the PSU's have atleast 18A on the 12v rail, and i dont think more than that is needed. The 3.3v and 5v seems to me more than enough. Im gonna be oc'ing, just to let u ppl know.

If 550W is overkill, and 480W is sufficient, then ill prolly go Tt, since it looks real good and doesnt cost much. Plus, i liked this old anandtech review, here it is:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841&p=25

So any suggestions? the budget is around 100~ max.

Thanks,

I really like my Antec TrueControl 550, love the adjustable rails from the front panel. It's a great, stable psu. :)

i had a couple of the Antec TrueControl PSUs and they all had low voltages under heavy overclocking. they were all in spec, but even when i adjusted them up, they were below 3.3, 5 and 12v.

i'd check out this Sparkle PSU. it's the same as the 530w Fortron unit that i have powering my dualie rig, and it works great. it has adjustable rails as well, but you have to open the PSU up to get to them. fortunatly, i don't know many people that have actually needed to tweak with them.

you may also want to check out PC Power & Cooling. they make some of the best PSUs available. just about the only complaint i've heard about their products is price, but you really do get what you pay for.

forget all of those...find a way to get rich and then get yourself a PC Power and Cooling 510W PSU....you can't go wrong with them, but there like $200

Viper87227 said:
forget all of those...find a way to get rich and then get yourself a PC Power and Cooling 510W PSU....you can't go wrong with them, but there like $200
While i do believe it is important to inform him of what the best psu is, he did mention that cost was a factor. Sticking within the OP's parameters i'd have to say the Antec True 480/550 or the Fortron/Sparkle 530w model.

SJetski71 said:
While i do believe it is important to inform him of what the best psu is, he did mention that cost was a factor. Sticking within the OP's parameters i'd have to say the Antec True 480/550 or the Fortron/Sparkle 530w model.

agreed
the difference between the True Contol and the others is listed above
the difference between the TRUE550 EPS12V and the others is
that it has a 24 pin main connector
and an 8 pin +12V auxillary connector per the EPS12V SSI Compliant spec

the form factors for the others is ATX which is a 20 pin Main connector
however the ATX12V spec calls for a 24 pin Connector w\ a 4pin +12V Aux
Id recommend you check your mobo, and in any event get a new ATX12V or EPS12V compliant supply if you want it to have any long term use
adapters are readily available, and often arent even required if there is room next to the connector to hang the extra connectors off the side

actually newegg might have both those others incorrectly listed
they are likley ATX12V v1.0 (which are 20 pin mains w\ 4pin Aux) whereas the new spec is ATX12V v2.0 with the 24 pin main & 4 pin Aux
the actaul ATX spec is quite old, but as you can gather from the above, they may have done this to avoid confusion regarding the number of pins on the main connector

get an ATX12V v2.0 spec PSU in any event with the 24pin connector
it calls for dual +12V rails and is futureproofing as much as that is possible these days
and get it as big as you can, there are alot of power hungry components comin down the track
* If your looking at this as an infrastructure investment, instead of a quick fix ;)

SJetski71 said:

Aha, missed that last bit about being on a budget. I then woudl say go with a Antec Truepower...ive heard good things about those, and if you got a few extra bucks and want something good looking, theres the True Blue varient

Again I never cease to be amazed at the logic.
You can spend over $1000.00 but can't come up with the extra scratch to by the best PS :confused:

until quite recently the "extra" performance of the "best" wasnt really required under most "normal" use

the exceptions being a massive number of things to spin up, an overclock at the edge of stability, or poor values\components on the other ends of the power chain (utility instability or poor mobo regulation)

however with the substantial increases in the +12V draw
(CPU switching from the +5V to +12V, graphics cards ect)
and the increased frequency of the FSB, with the wide variations of onboard voltage regulation schemes and component quality employed by various mobo manufacturers
its suddenly become a much more important component

and since we are unable to assess the reliability of other components very well
(source power and mobo voltage regulation)
better safe than sorry is a prudent approach, so it a power conditioner or UPS

Ice Czar said:
agreed
the difference between the True Contol and the others is listed above
the difference between the TRUE550 EPS12V and the others is
that it has a 24 pin main connector
and an 8 pin +12V auxillary connector per the EPS12V SSI Compliant spec

the form factors for the others is ATX which is a 20 pin Main connector
however the ATX12V spec calls for a 24 pin Connector w\ a 4pin +12V Aux
Id recommend you check your mobo, and in any event get a new ATX12V or EPS12V compliant supply if you want it to have any long term use
adapters are readily available, and often arent even required if there is room next to the connector to hang the extra connectors off the side

actually newegg might have both those others incorrectly listed
they are likley ATX12V v1.0 (which are 20 pin mains w\ 4pin Aux) whereas the new spec is ATX12V v2.0 with the 24 pin main & 4 pin Aux
the actaul ATX spec is quite old, but as you can gather from the above, they may have done this to avoid confusion regarding the number of pins on the main connector

get an ATX12V v2.0 spec PSU in any event with the 24pin connector
it calls for dual +12V rails and is futureproofing as much as that is possible these days
and get it as big as you can, there are alot of power hungry components comin down the track
* If your looking at this as an infrastructure investment, instead of a quick fix ;)

ive read the whole post but i cant actually understand one thing. is teh new atx, or the one with the 24pin connector compatible with the nf7? or do i need a adapter? what are the advantages of this new atx v2.0?

is the Tt, enermax and the fortron atx v2.0 specced? im a bit confused, never hears of this before. :eek:

thanks!

the Fortron linked is an EPS12V so has the 24pin + 8pin aux
the Enermax is ATX12V v1 with a 20 pin connector + 4 pin aux
the Thermaltake is ATX12V v1 with a 20 pin connector + 4 pin aux

the NF7-S takes a 20 pin main and 4 pin aux and has a cap on one end which might interfere with using a 24pin in the 20 pin slot

ATX = 20 pin plug, your Pentium III's ATX connector and PS

ATX12V v1.1 = 20 pin atx connector + 4-pin plug for "Additional 12V" (same pdf as above)

ATX12V v2.0 = 24 pin atx connector + 4-pin plug for "Additional 12V"

ATX12V v2.2 = 24 pin atx connector + 4-pin plug for Aux +12V to support PCI Express

SSI Compliant PSUs

EPS12V v1.6 = Power supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector

EPS12V v2.1 = Power supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector
added higher power levels for 650 watt PSUs and updated 12v peak requirements for 450 & 550 watt PSUs

in short the latest editions have more +12V to power CPU(s), graphics and buses
with dual or even quad 12V rails for example
http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.php?Tid=1&gon=236&Gid=26&Gid2=35
DC OUT....Rip&Noise...Tolerence...Rng1..Max/Min..Range 2.......Range 3........Range 4
+12V 1 ......120mV ......+5%,-4%..... 1.5A / 14A..... 0.5A / 5A.....1.5A / 14A... 0.5A / 9A
+12V 2 ......120mV ......+5%,-4%..... 1.5A / 16A..... 0.5A / 4A ....1.5A / 18A... 0.5A / 6A
+12V 3 ......120mV ......+5%,-4%..... 1.5A / 16A .....0.5A / 6A ....1.5A / 16A... 0.5A / 9A
+12V 4 ......120mV ......+5%,-4%..... 1.5A / 14A .....2A / 5A .......1.5A / 14A... 2A / 9A

a 20 to 24 pin adapter
http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ac-2024.htm

Power supplies become increasingly expensive
He then described the history of the post-P3 power supply mess:

The earlier Athlon motherboard manufacturers decided to solve the 12v problem by using an additional 4-pin square connector to get the extra 12V those CPUs required. However many older PSUs didn't provide the 12V 4-pin square connector.

The motherboard makers then wised up and decided that there was nothing magical about a square 4-pin connector, so they put a normal hard disk type socket on the motherboard and provided the 12v power via a standard hard disk (4-pin inline) connector. Problem solved - you may now use your older PSUs provided they supply sufficient 12V current (many did not).

Further confusion came from PSU manufacturers not specifying the capabilities of the PSU in a way that allowed the end user to verify it's 12V power output rating.

In the meantime the ATX spec was saying "use the new 6-pin" inline connector - and very few motherboard makers implemented it.

Just to be sure, some motherboard makers, implemented *both* the hard disk style 4-pin inline connector and the square 4-pin connector. They said "use either or both in any combination you like".

The spec then evolved to the 24-pin main connector. Again, most motherboard manufacturers did not wish to make their customers mad by mandating that they replace their power supplies. This might cause their customers to avoid motherboard upgrades. Some used a "special" 24-pin connector with the extra 4-pin connection blocked off, or colored so that the user could plugin a 20-pin plug into the correct end of the 24-pin socket on the motherboard. Many others simply ignored the 24-pin requirement in the specs. Again - problem solved - use your older PSU.

only the older PSU often dosent have the +12V to spare, and even if it does today, will be handicapped in the future
its a good bet all PCI Express boards will have 24 pin main power connectors
and require at least dual 12V rails

as far as EPS12V goes in comparision to a ATX12V, they are basically the same inside
EPS is a Server System Infrastructure specification developed by intel, and early on addressed the extra power requirements of dual CPU boards and more power hungry buses and devices (AMD ATXGES predates it for the same general requirements), if there is room around a 4pin aux connector the 8pin can be used, just like the 24 pin in a 20, the PCP&C in my sig is an EPS12V

The Sparkle 530W will take care of all your computeriffic needs quite well.

ok, thanks a lot for the replies everyone, especially ice czar. u were a great help.:)

now, i just get the fortron 550W with the 24pin to 20pin adapter? now is it ATX12V v2.0, or is it ATX12V v2.2 ?

and EPS means that it is SSI compliant, right?

the fortron seems to be the best of the bunch. now im not too concerned with looks, and im more onto performance. the fortron seems to be the best in that respect.do i need a 24 to 20pin adapter for it tho?

and u mentioned that the atx12v v2.2 and the atx12v v2.0 are the same, except that the v2.2 has the additional 4pin for aux pci express, whereas the v2.0 has the additional 4pin for "additional 12V". now whats the difference, and which one's better and in what respect? and the atx12v v2.0 and v2.2 are only known as the EPS version, and the others(v1, 1.1) are not EPS. isnt that so, can u plz clear this little mess?

im a bit confused, sorry to disturb u so much ice czar just a little more and ill appreciate it soo much. i cant believe u did so much searching.

thanks again,

maz

Viper87227 said:

I vote the 425 deluxe. I run one , they cost less than the 510. You only need the 510 if your super hardcore overclocking.

there where no physical configuration changes from the v2.0 to the v2.2 spec change they simply upgraded the +12V rails again

Id assume the Fortron is v2.2

the EPS12V standard is an SSI standard
and EPS12V and ATX12V 24pin connector are the same with the same pinout
so an adaptor would work for either (if required)
but the EPS12V has the 8 pin aux

Ice Czar said:
there where no physical configuration changes from the v2.0 to the v2.2 spec change they simply upgraded the +12V rails again

Id assume the Fortron is v2.2

the EPS12V standard is an SSI standard
and EPS12V and ATX12V 24pin connector are the same with the same pinout
so an adaptor would work for either (if required)
but the EPS12V has the 8 pin aux

ok, its v2.2 atx, but is it EPS v2.1 or v1.6?

now, if the fortron is indeed EPS v2.0/v2.2 and SSI compliant, it should have a really powerful 12v rail, but why does it only push 18A whereas the antec 480W pushes 22A? Or are there other factors such as Dual rails and all.?

and btw does the extra 8pin aux in the eps versions come into any use in desktops?

thanks again ice czar,:)

maz

can you link me to the models your looking at?
rails vary, and often you need to look at the factory specs to get answers for what a dual rail will be putting out, the retailers not going that far
(not breaking out the new spec instead combining them so consumers are comparing apples to apples)

some supplies are dual spec both ATX12V & EPS12V meaning the performance metrics meet both specs which ideally they would like to have
a single basic model just having a few connector changes and be offered as two different models, or just dual aux connectors with both a 8 & 4 pin aux

My PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 ATX - PFC is the same basic model as any other of the 510 Turbo Cools, but has the 24 main 8 aux and a 6 AGP Pro
thus its a "T51X-AG" but thats just the wiring harness option as far as I can tell
It a EPS12V because of the 8pin, as a matter of fact had I been bright Id have custom ordered it with a dual 4 & 8 pin through their custom options :p

However I was impatient, and the AG (AGP Pro) model is a "call for availability" anyway
they had one I took it, and Im now customizing the harness myself
(wackin down the main connector length from 25" to +3" :p )

PFC = Power Factor Correction

Power factor is the ratio of the real load to the actual load of the device. Here's a link to some information about PFC:

http://www.lmphotonics.com/pwrfact.htm

Basically what this means for a PSU is that the transformer on the AC line in is skewing the phase of the voltage, and there is active capacitive correction to correct the inductive power factor. It will save money on your electric bill by reducing the apparent power you are paying for.

Sysjack said:
It will save money on your electric bill by reducing the apparent power you are paying for.
Not quite; The meter is still counting watts, not Voltamps, so it doesn't affect the bill at all.

If that's truly the case then my professor for electric circuits was wrong about it, but he's a PHD in EE and a department head at RPI.

[edit] - The current through the reactive component dissipates no power, and neither does it register on the watt hour meter. However, the reactive current does dissipate power when flowing through other resistive components in the system, like the wires, the switches, and the lossy part of a transformer. Switches have to interrupt the total current, not just the active component. Wires have to be big enough to carry the entire current, etc. Correcting the power factor reduces the amount of oversizing necessary.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/pfc.htm

It will save you money on your bill because the reactive component is still dissipating power across other components in the power supply on an uncorrected PSU.

I suppose I should also mention that the other think PFC will do for you is decrease the current going into your PSU, decreasing the amount of heat generated and hopefully giving it a longer life.

well
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-973&depa=0
is rated as an EPS12V so it would have the 8 pin auxillary connector
and might have a 4 pin auxillary connector, then again it might not
unfortunately I recognize that model number and the same one is used for various wiring harnesses, if there isnt room around a 4pin auxillary connector on the board (if your attaching it to such a board) youd need to use an extension, Ive actually got a PSU with such a extension, however its a (2x2) 4 pin to a 4pin molex and that might put it on the wrong +12V rail in a new supply? there is likley a 8pin to 4 pin adapter available or easily made that would do the trick

that basic supply is able to do either ATX12V or EPS12V however
the actually wiring harness it comes with Id have to assume is the one its listed as,
in the case of the link above just EPS12V

if you really want to be able to use a single supply in both specs, then the EPS12V is the way to go with an adapter, basically there are 8 wires pulled off the proper 12V rail to a connector, 4 of which would be used in the ATX12V spec, however most all desktop consumer boards will require the 4 pin, only servers and workstation (dual CPU mostly) would need the 8 pin EPS12V

for another take on Power Factor Correction
PFC Decoded by that master of making the technical understandable and funny
dan, of dansdata ;)

In short PFC is required in many countrys but not the US and adds cost to the supply which is why Antec doesnt include it in their offering here, but its cheaper to just have a single model for many manufacturers, that can be sold here and abroad, you can take it or leave it as a spec, dan explains the rest better than I :p

ok so here's the whole thing.

im going for the fortron. i dunno really why most people say that this PS easily beats the antec 550W even though the specs show that the 12V rail is lower(18A) and also i think the 3.3V rail is also lower.

but im still going for the fortron coz i believe in what the other experienced people in the forum said so im going for this one. but here's one problem:

ice czar, look, i can easily go for the 530W atx version fortron with no problems, but since u say that the 550W EPS 12V is more future proof, as it has the 24pin connector(which will be used in future motherboards), so im getting that one. but im still unsure which adapter, converter, etc to get with it. so can you please tell me which things to order with this PS? i know ill need the 24pin to 20pin adapter, anything else like a 8pin to 4 pin aux adapter? IF needed, ill even order some things which may not even be needed. and with so many adapters u sure they'r all gonna work?

and is this EPS v1.6 or v2.1?

thanks a lot

mk

any 24 to 20 pin atc converter should do, but does the PSU use the 4 or 6 pin motherboard +12 connector (also called the P4 connector?) and does your current board need it? If your board doesnt require a 4 pin P4 connector, than if the PSU comes wiht a 6 pin one (which i think it does, not 100% sure tho) you wont need an adapter for that, but if your mobo needs the 4 pin P4 connector, and the PSU is 6 pin, you will need one of those to. Other than that, you shouldnt need any converters.

partial answer (got tired of typing out PDFs but will finish tommorow)
which will cross reference all aplicable revisions of ATX12V & EPS12V the pinouts and differences in dual rails (with pinouts) as mentioned any 20 > 24 pin converter would do
http://www.mypccase.com/20pinatxcons.html#ggviewer-offsite-nav-12464560
and I'll look for a 8 to 4

in short the main power connectors are identical and the 8 pin will fit on a 4 pin if there is room around the connector

FSP550-60PLN RET
Fortron Source USA
FSP550-60PLN listed EPS12V PDF

Fortron Source Europe
FSP550-60PLN
Listed EPS12V
Dual +12V output (+12V CPU,+12V I/O)
FSP550-60PLN Drawing
P2 8pin (2x4) Molex 39-01-2080 or equivelent
pins 1>4 COM (Ground) 5>8 +12V

compared to
FSP400-60THN ATX 12V 2.0
and
FSP550-60PLN again :p but this time listed as ATX with dual ATX12V +12V rails but showing an 8 pin connector not the 4 pin ????
Europe PDF Specs
Europe Drawing PDF

ATX12V v2.0
1.2 Key Changes for ATX12V Version 2.0 as Compared with ATX power Supply

This section briefly summarizes the major chaanges made to this document that now defines ATX12V power supply. With the move to 12V voltage regulators for the processor, ATX guidlines for 5V as main power are no longer provided.

1.2.1 Increased +12 VDC output capability
System components that use 12V are continuing to increase in power. In cases where expected current requirements is greater than 18A a second 12V rail should be made available. ATX12V power supplies should be designated to accommodate these increased +12VDC currents.

1.2.3 Main Power Connector
The 2 x 10 main power connector has been replaced by a 2 x 12 connector. This was made to support 75 watt PCI Express requirements. Pinout asignments are based on the SSI recommendation.
With the added 12V, 5V, and 3.3V pins the need for an Aux Power connector is no longer needed and the guidance for this connector removed.

1.2.4 Seperate current limit for 12V on the 2x2 connector:
the 12V rail on the 2x2 power connector should be a seperate current limited output to meet the requirements of UL and EN 60950

4.5.1. ATX Main Power Connector
Connector Molex housing: 24 pin Molex Mini-Fit Jr. PN# 39-01-2240 or equivalent
(Mating motherboard connector is Molex 44206-0007 or equivalent)
18 AWG is suggested for all wires except for the +3.3V sense return wire pin 11 (22 AWG)
(For 300 W configurations, 16 AWG is recommended for all +12VDC, +5VDC, +3.3VDC and COM
Pin.....Signal.......................Color.........Key
1........+3.3VDC...................Orange......Square
2........+3.3VDC...................Orange......Dome
3........COM.........................Black........Dome
4........+5VDC......................Red...........Square
5........COM.........................Black........Square
6........+5VDC......................Red...........Dome
7........COM.........................Black........Dome
8........PWR_OK..................Grey..........Square
9........+5VSB......................Purple.......Square
10.......+12V1DC..................Yellow.......Dome
11.......+12V1DC..................Yellow.......Dome
12.......+3.3VDC...................Orange.....Square

13.......+3.3VDC...................Orange.....Dome
[13].....[+3.3V default sense...Brown......Square
14.......-12VDC......................Blue.........Square
15........COM.........................Black........Square
16........PS_ON#....................Green.......Dome
17........COM.........................Black........Dome
18........COM.........................Black........Square
19........COM.........................Black........Square
20........Reserved...................N/C...........Dome
21........+5VDC......................Red..........Dome
22........+5VDC......................Red..........Square
23........+5VDC......................Red..........Square
24........COM.........................Black........Dome

4.5.2 +12V Power Connector
Connector Molex 39-01-2040 or equivalent
(Mating motherboard connector is Molex 39-29-9024 or equivalent)
Pin.....Signal.........18 AWG Wire................Key
1........COM..........Black............................Square
2........COM..........Black............................Dome
3........+12V2DC....Yellow / Black Stripe......Dome
4........+12V2DC....Yellow / Black Stripe......Square

ATX12V Revisions

ok ice czar, here's everything after i just read all of the links u gave,

The Fortron FSP550-60PLN is the one i gave u the link at newegg. here it is again:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-973&depa=0

After reading all of the spec sheets and drawings, i get this. The Fortron has a 24pin connector, and a 8 pin aux connector, and its EPS. So here's everything ill need:

1) The PS
2) A 24pin to 20pin Adapter
3) A 8pin to 4 pin adapter

Isnt that all? and many thanks for the links, it is indeed a dual 12V PS. Now im sure im getting this one. But do u still know whether its a EPS v1.6 or v2.1? and it looks to be ATX v2.0 not 2.2.:( Doesnt really matter tho.:)

Please correct me if im wrong anywhere.:)

thanks a lot,

I'll be continuing the above when I get back from walking my dogs
cause I was going to do a direct comparision of the EPS12V connectors to the ATX12V above
as well as breakout a little more info on exactly how the dual rails breakout to quad rails in some instances

however your correct
if you need the converters at all
you may well be alble to just employ the 8 pin directly

I I I I I I I I
I I I I

or

I I I I I I I I
...I I I I....

same with the main power connectors

figuring out exactly which oreintation might apply based on the connector keys
and thus from a picture of a mobo, what options might be available

I have actually found an 8 pin to 4 pin converter yet
but I havent actually looked very hard, the right query might reveal dozens of them

umm...ice czar u dead or something? :p

anyway didya find the 8 to 4 pin adapter?

and do u need my mobo's specs? u can download the whole manual from the link that i just gave u.:)

thanks

A pic would be more helpful; Is there anything blocking, ohh ~.5" on either side of the P4 connector?

64bit_is_here said:
umm...ice czar u dead or something? :p
or something :p
been battling vbcode\unicode\ect :rolleyes:

a PIC as Vertigo pointed out would be helpful
the 8 pin will attach, when you view the connector on the mobo with the connectors latch attachment to the right, you need 8>10mm clearance above it.

Still havent found a ready made converter, but youd be able to make one with\
Male 8 pin and Female 4 pin

the 4 pin female part number is Molex 39-01-2040
the 8 pin male part number is 39-01-2081
with either [/url]

EPS12V v2.02

Revision History

6.1.1 12V Power Rail Configuration

There are two types of 12V rail configurations for systems: 'Common plane' and "Split plane' processor power delivery. The 'commob plane' system has both processors powered from a single 12V rail (+12V1) from the power supply. The 'split plane' system has both processors powered by seperate 12V rails (+12V1 and +12V2) one dedicated to each processor. The system in both cases, has an additional 12V rail to power the rest of the baseboard +12V loads and dc/dc converters. +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 should not be connected together on the baseboard to ensure that 240VA protection circuits in the power supply operate properly

Table 6: 12V Rail Summary
........................................................................................................................................................................................
Common Plane System........................................................Split Plane System
+12V1........Processors.........................................................+12V1........Processor 1
+12V2........Baseboard components other than processors.......+12V2........Processor 2
+12V3........Drives and peripherals..........................................+12V3........Baseboards and components other than processors
...........................................................................................+12V4........Drives and peripherals

Table 7: P1 Baseboard Power Connector - Common Plane

..........3.3RS.......................Orange w\ white Stripe
10.......+12V2..................Yellow.......Dome
11.......+12V2..................Yellow.......Dome

20........Reserved (-5V in ATX)..N/C...........Dome

Table 7: P1 Baseboard Power Connector - Common Plane

..........3.3RS.......................Orange w\ white Stripe
10.......+12V3..................Yellow.......Dome
11.......+12V3..................Yellow.......Dome

20........Reserved (-5V in ATX)..N/C...........Dome

6.1.3 Required Processor Power Connector
Connector Housing: 8-pin Molex 39-01-2080 or equivalent

Table 9: Processor Power Connector-Common Plane
3........COM..........Black............................Dome
4........COM..........Black............................Square

5........+12V1........Yellow / Black Stripe......Dome
6........+12V1........Yellow / Black Stripe......Square
7........+12V1........Yellow / Black Stripe......Square
8........+12V1........Yellow / Black Stripe......Dome

Table 10: Processor Power Connector-Split Plane
3........COM..........Black............................Dome
4........COM..........Black............................Square

5........+12V1........Yellow / Black Stripe......Dome
6........+12V1........Yellow / Black Stripe......Square
7........+12V2........Yellow...........................Square
8........+12V2........Yellow ..........................Dome

and a good thing since I still havent positively identified all the parts to make your own converter
(sorting through terminals)
but I will, I actually need a few of those to complete shortening my wiring harness

@##$$Molex#$@$links!@#$#$#@# redirect :rolleyes:

I've decided to get this PSU also, even though I have a 20 pin connector on my IC7, like you said, may as well be ready for PCIE and the upcoming technological advancements. Unfortunately I couldn't find a 24 -> 20 pin adapter on Newegg....

SCRATCH THAT!
They have a thermaltake adapter kit which includes a 20 ->24 pin adapter and also a 4->8 pin as well for 7 bucks....perfect!

Operaghost said:
SCRATCH THAT!
They have a thermaltake adapter kit which includes a 20 ->24 pin adapter and also a 4->8 pin as well for 7 bucks....perfect!

hey thanks :D
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-183-045&depa=0

however thats a 4 to 8
so you can use an ATX12V on an EPS12V board
we still need to find the other way round :p
8 to 4
so an EPS12V could connect to an ATX12V board ;)
unless of course clearence is common on the assorted boards

Damn thats a bummer, cause I won't have clearance on my IC7 :(

I canceled my order for the 550W Fortron since it won't fit my mobo

well that the cables are really cool, I wish I knew where to get those connectors
I like the PSU \ cable interface, and that if they where the right length for my needs
had a 24 pin main, 8 pin aux and where able to be disassembled Id get one then gut it

as it is, those are rudimentary specs
Ive seen no independent tests
they are obviously aimed at the case modding market where its looks over utility
they are likely "reasonable" quality PSUs with lots of bells and whistles, but I wouldnt let one within ten feet of my workstation without real specs

oh and that top (bottom) fan guard is reducing the airflow by 1/3rd or so :p

the second review called it the Mercedes Benz of Supplies
yet they tested nothing, Id describe it as a Kit Car Replica of a Mercedes Benz :p
but Im researching some more

BTW its ATX12V v1 compliant and thus has little long term viability

http://www.ultraproducts.com/item.php?sku=U10-9510

I know BigAkita over at Pimprig (nice guy), and while thats a good writeup
as to his impression of the supply and the finish, his testing was very rudimentary
for comparision this is how its done right
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article148-page1.html

Back