sb live xp problem

jblue42

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm installing windows XP onto my sister's old Dell, so she can use her iPod with it. ipods require 2000 or XP. Anyway, I downloaded the newest drivers for the SoundBlaster Live from their website, but after the files get extracted and installation begins, I get an error saying: Setup could not detect any sound blaster audio card on your system. Please ensure that you have the hardware correctly installed hardware before running this setup... blah blah...

The soundblaster website said that the driver is now fully supported by windows 2000 and XP, although I know about a year and a half ago, these cards weren't supported. The card worked fine in Windows ME.

can you see that the card is installed (it would be listed as some sort of unknown) in the hardware manager? Have you checked for address conflicts etc? Tried re-seating the card? Every once in a while when re-installing on my system it gives the same error, and its usually one of the above.

thanks for the reply frosty. In the device manager, I can see Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) and Creative SBLive! Gameport under sound devices. I have also reseated the card, but windows recognizes it, so it seems fine. How can I disable windows from automatically installing its crap driver after i restart after uninstalling the sb live driver? thanks.

edit, by the way, how do I check for address conflicts?

If windows sees the card and is not throwing up any red flags etc, you are probably ok address wise. As far as windows installing stuff, just remove it and install your own drivers.

Well, I've read of this same problem here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-5305.html

Here is what I have done: Disabled plug n play, then uninstalled the Creative SB Live Value (WDM) and Creative SB Live Gameport. Reboot. Double click on creative's self extracting driver installation file ~23mb, it extracts fine, then I get an error saying:

"Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audio card on your system.
Please ensure that your Sound Blaster hardware is properly installed before running this setup.
Setup will now exit."

I know the soundcard is seated properly, and it was working a week ago under WindowsME, and windows does detect it when I have plug n play enabled.

bump

anyone? I want to try to avoid buying another soundcard if possible

About the original problem: I know ive had it too, trying to figure out what in the world I did to get around it... other than what I have already mentioned.

On another note, is there a reason the plain old windows drivers wont work for your applicaiton? Or are you useing some of the advansed featrues?

i get no sound with the windows drivers, although windows identifys the card, and says its working properly. But no vibrations dude.

Back