6800GT&Farcry @ 1600x1200? No Problem!

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow! I am so glad I installed, 'benchem'all' as it shows me clearly I don't need an ultra with my current cpu, and probably not with a faster one either. Here's the results which simply knocked my socks off!

Benchmark session result
Detailed info located here:
C:\Program Files\BenchemAll\result\2004.07.10.18.56.20. - New Sequence\

-----------------------------------------------------------
Far Cry

Using Max settings.
Map: Fort Demo: BenchemallDefaultDemo

640x480 not selected
800x600 not selected
1024x768
run# 0: Average FPS: 61.03

1280x1024
run# 0: Average FPS: 60.30

1600x1200
run# 0: Average FPS: 60.66

I'M CPU LIMITED BABY! damn, that's amazing. So, almost in unbelief, I loaded the game at 1600x1200 at very high settings with aa/af off. Silky smooth gameplay, I'm amazed. Honestly, who needs aa when you can game at this high a rez? I know I can run 4xaa and 8af @ 12x10 but I prefer 1600! man, i'm still amazed at the raw power of this card.

The above bench is at Ultra extreme settings, but I dropped it down to GT stock levels for the BFG and the average FPS for 1600 dropped to 58, for the other rez's it stayed the same. There is simply no need to overclock this baby, and really, no need for the ULTRA until more games come out that can make FAr cry 'cry'. ;)

Brent_Justice said:
That benchmark program does not benchmark real world gameplay in FarCry.

Well, that's why I got FRAPS and tested it out in real world gameplay,loading various levels (without AA/AF). Whenever I looked at FRAPS in the pper left hand corner I was at 55+ fps or more. So, unless you have another benchmark you'd like me to do, I'm happy gaming at ultra high rez. Have you tried it?

oozish said:
Well, that's why I got FRAPS and tested it out in real world gameplay,loading various levels (without AA/AF). Whenever I looked at FRAPS in the pper left hand corner I was at 55+ fps or more. So, unless you have another benchmark you'd like me to do, I'm happy gaming at ultra high rez. Have you tried it?

Did you set AA and AF in game or in the Driver?

For Far Cry, Nvidias drivers overide themselves and use only the in game setting for AA and AF, at least with the 61.45's up. So just set your profile to application controled and then set AA and AF in the game, Low = 2xAA, Medium 4xAA, 8xAF is 4 in game, etc etc.

Sniper_Merc said:
Did you set AA and AF in game or in the Driver?

For Far Cry, Nvidias drivers overide themselves and use only the in game setting for AA and AF, at least with the 61.45's up. So just set your profile to application controled and then set AA and AF in the game, Low = 2xAA, Medium 4xAA, 8xAF is 4 in game, etc etc.

ya i know about that....I'm not using AA at all ATM.

i have an A64 3000+ and a 9800PRO right now, my 6800NU gets here on monday, right now i cant play above 1280x1024 at 'medium' settings, im hoping to play at 1280x1024 at all 'high detail' when my 6800NU gets here, think i can do it? :confused:

Dillusion said:
i have an A64 3000+ and a 9800PRO right now, my 6800NU gets here on monday, right now i cant play above 1280x1024 at 'medium' settings, im hoping to play at 1280x1024 at all 'high detail' when my 6800NU gets here, think i can do it? :confused:

Without AA and AF on yeah, should be able to do it just fine. might even be able to push that to 1600x1200.

My 6800GT is here and i'm waiting on the 1.1 patch to finish downloading so i can do a little in-game benching. I've been working and have to work again the next two days so i wont be free to really see what this thing can do till Tuesday. I'll be off work four days then :).

Anyways, benchemall is pretty damn accurate. In-game testing with FRAPS will give you a better idea of how the card performs for you on that certain level, but comparing the performance results is pretty worthless. The reason being, the AI will react differently every time, the performance results will be completely different for every level and every part of the level, and testing in-game with FRAPS and being precise is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Benchemall is a MUCH better comparison for comparing performance results. I've seen several people use benchemall on nV News and their getting the results they should be if they had went to all the trouble of trying to test in-game with FRAPS.

One person tested is OC'd 6800GT at 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF in Far Cry using Benchemall and his average frame rate was 38 fps which is right on target.

Oh BTW, i ran the "Auto Detect" feature in CoolBits and it auto clocked it to 425/1115.

burningrave101 said:
My 6800GT is here and i'm waiting on the 1.1 patch to finish downloading so i can do a little in-game benching. I've been working and have to work again the next two days so i wont be free to really see what this thing can do till Tuesday. I'll be off work four days then :).

Anyways, benchemall is pretty damn accurate. In-game testing with FRAPS will give you a better idea of how the card performs for you on that certain level, but comparing the performance results is pretty worthless. The reason being, the AI will react differently every time, the performance results will be completely different for every level and every part of the level, and testing in-game with FRAPS and being precise is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Benchemall is a MUCH better comparison for comparing performance results. I've seen several people use benchemall on nV News and their getting the results they should be if they had went to all the trouble of trying to test in-game with FRAPS.

One person tested is OC'd 6800GT at 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF in Far Cry using Benchemall and his average frame rate was 38 fps which is right on target.

how do you set up benchemall to use AA and AF? Does it use your in game Far cry config? I was unclear on what settings it was using when I tried it.

oozish said:
how do you set up benchemall to use AA and AF? Does it use your in game Far cry config? I was unclear on what settings it was using when I tried it.

There is a graphic setting area in the Far Cry portion of benchemall that has an option for custom configuration file. Just have it point to your system.cfg file in your Far Cry folder and make sure you have the settings you want to test using the Configure Far Cry tool.

burningrave101 said:

Oh BTW, i ran the "Auto Detect" feature in CoolBits and it auto clocked it to 425/1115.

There is nothing "worthless" about knowing how the card will perform in game. :rolleyes: I'd say Benchemall falls right in about the same place as 3Dmark.......

burningrave101 said:

No it isn't easy to do, but if you want accurate real world gameplay performance results FRAPS is the only way to go in FarCry, PERIOD.

Blackwind said:
There is nothing "worthless" about knowing how the card will perform in game. :rolleyes: I'd say Benchemall falls right in about the same place as 3Dmark.......

Knowing how the card will perform (just for yourself) and comparing actual numbers is a big difference. I could take FRAPS and go and find a place in Far Cry that performed much better on my 6800GT then an X800 and then record the frame rates in that area and post them and say WOOHOO my 6800 is kicking the X800's ass!!!

When you use recorded demo's like in benchemall, you wont get the CPU controlled AI interacting with you, but the AI will still be in the demo following its preset path. The results will be repeatable and all our results will be more comparible.

Heck one of us might get 20 fps and another 40 fps all on the same card at the same settings all because it wont be exactly the same spot tested with the same AI influence on the CPU.

And THAT is why testing in-game with FRAPS is a poor comparison for anything other then YOURSELF. There are far too many variables from testing in-game and noone else will be able to get your same results. With demo's we can all download the demo and get nearly the same exact results for the same cards and thats what you want when you are trying to show how many FPS you got compared to what someone else got.

Timedemos are great if you want to know how your card performs in a TIMEDEMO, it wont tell you how the card perform in real gameplay though,

Brent_Justice said:
No it isn't easy to do, but if you want accurate real world gameplay performance results FRAPS is the only way to go in FarCry, PERIOD.

well, obviously this is true if you can get an average frame rate over a period of ingame time with FRAPS. Is this possible; I was just loooking at the fps readout...I'm new to the program. Is an average framerate kept in a log or something? That wouldn't make sense though, since it's never off.

I can't see how you can use fraps in this way without just noting fps every 5 seconds or soemthing which would be ridiculous. But like I said I haven't read the readme so maybe it's set up for this sort of thing I'll look into it later.

burningrave101 said:
Knowing how the card will perform (just for yourself) and comparing actual numbers is a big difference. I could take FRAPS and go and find a place in Far Cry that performed much better on my 6800GT then an X800 and then record the frame rates in that area and post them and say WOOHOO my 6800 is kicking the X800's ass!!!

When you use recorded demo's like in benchemall, you wont get the CPU controlled AI interacting with you, but the AI will still be in the demo following its preset path. The results will be repeatable and all our results will be more comparible.

Heck one of us might get 20 fps and another 40 fps all on the same card at the same settings all because it wont be exactly the same spot tested with the same AI influence on the CPU.

And THAT is why testing in-game with FRAPS is a poor comparison for anything other then YOURSELF. There are far too many variables from testing in-game and noone else will be able to get your same results. With demo's we can all download the demo and get nearly the same exact results for the same cards and thats what you want when you are trying to show how many FPS you got compared to what someone else got.

Yeah, that's cool, because the poster said nothing about beating an ATI card, nor did he say anything about comparing his card to others. The point of this thread was the posters satisfaction of his card, not for giving other people an "accurate benchmark."

Well benchmarks aside I am enjoying the GT @1600x1200 at very high settings in Far Cry and I look forward to Doom3 and HL2 Its a good time to be a gamer

Spank said:
Timedemos are great if you want to know how your card performs in a TIMEDEMO, it wont tell you how the card perform in real gameplay though,

A time demo is created by actually playing the game and recording it to playback over and over again. You get exactly the same in-game action played back in a time demo.

Its a little different in Far Cry though. When you record a demo in Far Cry it plays back the actual in-game action except the AI acts like your not there. The AI is CPU controlled though and should have little to do with GPU performance.

A demo recorded in UT2004 plays back the AI as it reacts to you so there is zero difference between a time demo in UT2004 and actually testing in-game with FRAPS.

Thats why i keep saying to include a UT2004 time demo if your so worried about actual in-game, real time, no BS, undeniable, realistic, better then any other benchmark, results.

Testing with FRAPS is not more accurate then recorded Time Demo's. Its just a different way of testing. The cards should be able to perform the same in time demo's as they would in "actual gameplay". Whatever "actual gameplay" means nowadays considering time demos are made from "actual gameplay".

You take a half an inch detour while testing with FRAPS and your results will be completely different from the first.

oozish said:
well, obviously this is true if you can get an average frame rate over a period of ingame time with FRAPS. Is this possible; I was just loooking at the fps readout...I'm new to the program. Is an average framerate kept in a log or something? That wouldn't make sense though, since it's never off.

How can I average the framerate between two points?

While in the game press the key you assigned to the Benchmarking Hotkey. This will mark the start of where averaging is to take place. A green box is displayed to let you know that logging has begun, and then the counter is removed for maximum accuracy. When you want to end the benchmark, press the Hotkey again. The average framerate will now be displayed in a red box. Full details are also saved in the file FRAPSLOG.TXT in your Fraps folder.

http://www.fraps.com/faq.htm

souja9 said:
How can I average the framerate between two points?

While in the game press the key you assigned to the Benchmarking Hotkey. This will mark the start of where averaging is to take place. A green box is displayed to let you know that logging has begun, and then the counter is removed for maximum accuracy. When you want to end the benchmark, press the Hotkey again. The average framerate will now be displayed in a red box. Full details are also saved in the file FRAPSLOG.TXT in your Fraps folder.

http://www.fraps.com/faq.htm

ty

:D

burningrave101 said:

Just for myself? Think you are completely missing the point as usual burningrave101. The point isn't always to sit around and compare numbers and see who's is highest but to use those figures to gather data on the performance of the card and to task it accordingly. If all we cared about were numbers we'd sit around and run 3DMark non-stop with no AA or AF. :rolleyes:

Again, there is nothing "poor comparsion" about FRAPS. It has been successfully used for years for reviews and vid cards assestments by every single major reviewer out there.....

and still is.

Simply because you choose to question the integrity of those running tests does not make the tool worthless, inaccurate or poor in its outcome....

I agree. burningrave does nothing but pimp Nvidia, slam ATI, question review authenticity here at [H], and he treats people that don't agree with him like garbage. I added him to my ignore list a few days ago after yelling at him. I suggest every1 else who feels this way to do the same.

6800GT&Farcry @ 1600x1200? No Problem! ????Now go back and Start again ((but turn on AA and AF to max then try and run it)) ;)
Then come back here and say 6800GT&Farcry @ 1600x1200 with Max AA and AF? Or im guessing [H]'s review was still pretty well on the money :p
^as for Burning>NVIDIA<Grave I think most people ignore him now anyways :p

The way I see it if you can play at good framrates with your monitors max res AA isnt even that big of a deal and 2xAA will do the trick. I have always been a bigger fan of ansio mysleft because I hate blurred textured. I believe that takes away from more of the realism then jaggies but this is just me.

@trapine said:
6800GT&Farcry @ 1600x1200? No Problem! ????Now go back and Start again ((but turn on AA and AF to max then try and run it)) ;)
Then come back here and say 6800GT&Farcry @ 1600x1200 with Max AA and AF? Or im guessing [H]'s review was still pretty well on the money :p
^as for Burning>NVIDIA<Grave I think most people ignore him now anyways :p

Nobodies questioning that Troll+Moron, that's why I said I had AA/AF OFF! This thread would be for people that own Nvidia cards, so you can kindly leave.

Nobodies trying to insult your Precious Canadian Cards, so find another thread to poop on. This is about my own experience with my new card, so those of you who are somehow turning this into an ATI vs Nvidia thread, lol; that's pathetic.

ONce again, trapine, why don't you read what I wrote before you post something as stupid as your post?

With the SM3.0 patch the x800xt and 6800U look pretty much equal in FarCry. Hopefully it will come out soon so ppl can get higher AA/AF levels at 1600x1200 :)

You guys can put reality on ignore all you want if you want to. I could seriously care less.

But unlike some of you i'm sitting here with an XFX 6800GT @ 400/1100, and i've been running Far Cry at 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF since i got it. I will post some benchmark scores after i get some more files downloaded today. It takes a while on my shitslow 56k.

And if some of you dont want to wait then head on over to nV News where there are quite a few threads talking about how their cards perform just fine at 1600x1200 w/ AA + AF in Far Cry.

Blackwind said:
Simply because you choose to question the integrity of those running tests does not make the tool worthless, inaccurate or poor in its outcome....

You still dont get it do you. I'm not questioning the integrity of the people who use it. I'm questioning the relevancy of the performance results obtained for ONE level an ONE set path in-game using FRAPS. The accuracy of "real world" performance according to FRAPS in-game has nothing to do with the reviewer. Some of you obviously dont have a clue about the difference between a recorded in-game demo and actually playing the game. One is not better then the other because a demo is repeatable and precise while FRAPS gives a little better realistic outlook but its not nearly as accurate for putting up numbers to compare two cards. The reason why is its nearly impossible to do exactly the same thing again and get the AI to react exactly the same again and noone else will be able to reproduce your results.

And actual reviewers from other websites are saying this. Not just me.

Blackwind said:
The point isn't always to sit around and compare numbers and see who's is highest but to use those figures to gather data on the performance of the card and to task it accordingly.

Thats just a more eloquent way of saying "gathering numbers to compare which is faster" lol.

If you all didn't care about numbers then you wouldn't be sitting around saying the X800XT PE is faster then the 6800u in Far Cry according to numbers gathered using FRAPS lol.

ShowMeThe$$$$$$ said:
I agree. burningrave does nothing but pimp Nvidia, slam ATI, question review authenticity here at [H], and he treats people that don't agree with him like garbage. I added him to my ignore list a few days ago after yelling at him. I suggest every1 else who feels this way to do the same.

I dont set out to slam ATI, i support whichever card maker i think is better for the given time. And i question ANY review i dont think was accurate according to what REAL people are getting for performance results, including myself now. And i definitely dont treat other people like garbage unless they initiate it on themselves.

ShowMeThe$$$$$$ said:
Ok I might get in trouble for this but im willing to take the risk.

burningrave......shut the fuck for once you god damn troll.

Ah, I feel better.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026290345#post1026290345

Some of you have nothing better to do then troll threads and flame the people you dont agree with simply because you have no real input on the question of the thread worth mentioning.

They need to just start banning people if they take any more detours from talking about the actual video cards and their performance. The flaming and personal vendetta with one another needs to stop.

Im surprised you were not banned right there ShowMeThe$$$$$$ after the explicit warning CIWS gave in the sticky above the forum.

Some of you have been ATI fans so strongly for the last 2 years that you wouldn't know the truth if it slapped you in the face.

burningrave101 said:

I think you are missing the point that even benchemall does not have any AI interaction or gunfire during the testing. This is completely different than what your actual gameplay will be like, hence the point of [H] video card reviews. While you do bring up good points, sometimes, please stop pounding the same comments into each thread. Lets all just agree to disagree :)

fogive me if i'm wrong but isn't AI a function of the CPU, and not the GPU? the job of a GPU is to render the video aspect of a program, so in a game only the graphics has an impact on GPU performance. other things, such as AI, audio, etc. only impact game performance indirectly by taxing the CPU. because of this, any benchmark that doesn't involve AI (and accessories) is probably more relevant to the performance of a card than the actual game because it isolates the GPU from the rest of the components more so than regular gameplay. now, i am not saying that such benchmarks are representative of normal gameplay, that would be a lie. BUT, when comparing one card against another, IMO the benchmarks are as applicable as regular gameplay.

the point that i'm trying to make is that for comparison purposes the benchmarks are just fine, even if they're synthetic, as long as they use the game engine or features you're trying to compare with. this DOES NOT mean you will see the same framerates in normal gameplay, as normal gameplay will sap more frames as the other components will be tasked to provide the supporting elements (AI & shit) of gameplay.

to measure the performance of a given SYSTEM (meaning it tests more than just the GPU) then a program like FRAPS is almost necessary. there is more room for error using this because no two runs will be exactly the same.

this all means you have to compromise in some way. either you use the synthetic benchmarks that allow you to run an exact comparison or you use real gameplay and accept that it won't be an exact comparison but will be closer to what users will get with the card (and a given system). it's a matter of taste as to which you prefer, but if you get so frustrated with the work that others are doing you always have the option of buying one of each and doing your own testing.

of course my theory could be completely flawed if someone thinks (or can prove) that AI and stuff depend on the GPU as well.

damn you guys are so worried about your fps why dont you just try playing the game :)

i turn off all of my FPS indicators in game, as long as it feels smooth to me I don't really care

BTW will having a 6800GT / x800pro help a game like lineage 2 at all?

Digital Viper-X- said:
damn you guys are so worried about your fps why dont you just try playing the game :)

i turn off all of my FPS indicators in game, as long as it feels smooth to me I don't really care

BTW will having a 6800GT / x800pro help a game like lineage 2 at all?

Definitely, especially the 6800GT which is awesome with MMOs. My friend who plays L2 says it looks much better with the 6800GT than his old ti4200.

well I'm going from a 9800pro :)

I can usually run at full blast 1280x1024 except when I'm in towns or doing a raid or a castle seige >< then its everything to minimum and i still get like 10fps ^^

slow because of your system or slow because of your network? i remember playing UO back in the day and it would feel like i was playing a slideshow at times but it was because of bandwidth and not the system itself

how is L2 anyway? i've seen previews for it but that was ages ago.

L2 is a wicked game if you get into it :) the game starts at level 20 and gets better at 40 and thats a good chunk of work if you can pull it off you will be happy ^^

Slow as in its a demanding game on a system, I dont have the fastest system but a 3200+ with 1gig of DC DDR 400 isnt slow ^^ neither is a 9800pro, put it this way though
Running L2 and checking ur task manager shows it taking up over 600megs of ram at one point or another and an average of 400+ megs of ram,

burningrave101 said:
You guys can put reality on ignore all you want if you want to. I could seriously care less.

The only person "ignoring reality" would be you burningrave101. The reality is that FRAPS is an excellent tool and always has been.

burningrave101 said:
You still dont get it do you. I'm not questioning the integrity of the people who use it.

Actually you have and done it repeatedly in fact.

burningrave101 said:
I'm questioning the relevancy of the performance results obtained for ONE level an ONE set path in-game using FRAPS. The accuracy of "real world" performance according to FRAPS in-game has nothing to do with the reviewer. Some of you obviously dont have a clue about the difference between a recorded in-game demo and actually playing the game. One is not better then the other because a demo is repeatable and precise while FRAPS gives a little better realistic outlook but its not nearly as accurate for putting up numbers to compare two cards. The reason why is its nearly impossible to do exactly the same thing again and get the AI to react exactly the same again and noone else will be able to reproduce your results.

If every single person within this thread ran FRAPS in FarCry at 1600x1200 4AAx8AF. YES. The results would not be far apart and an average could be obtained. This is what the reviewers are attempting to do for us here and whether you like it or not...their findings are very relevant and accurate.

burningrave101 said:
And actual reviewers from other websites are saying this. Not just me.

And? You talk about people walking around blind....you name me one of any of the major sites you are attempting to use as reference as has not already been found to suffer human error before and been publicly labeled as "untrust worthy"? Again....their testing methods are great...and why many of us read them. On the other hand, it does not make [H]'s findings any less valid because their testing is different.

burningrave101 said:
Thats just a more eloquent way of saying "gathering numbers to compare which is faster" lol.

You continue to prove reading comprehension isnt your strong suit. Where did I mention any comparison between the two at all? This is your focal point and why you continue to wear your nVidia blinders. Not everyone suffers your malady.

burningrave101 said:
If you all didn't care about numbers then you wouldn't be sitting around saying the X800XT PE is faster then the 6800u in Far Cry according to numbers gathered using FRAPS lol.

Some people do very much care about numbers because thats what they have. They cant afford to go out and buy both cards and compare themselves. [H] was not the only site to declare the x800 better. Again....who isnt living in reality? :rolleyes:

burningrave101 said:
Some of you have nothing better to do then troll threads and flame the people you dont agree with simply because you have no real input on the question of the thread worth mentioning.

Pot, Kettle, black?

burningrave101 said:
Some of you have been ATI fans so strongly for the last 2 years that you wouldn't know the truth if it slapped you in the face.

The truth of the matter is their is a reason ATI has grown their fanbase over the last years. Maybe you missed it all?

Being an old school FPS type gamer, I will take a higher framerate w/o fsaa and at a higher resolution, over a lower resolution with fsaa most times...

I am hard pressed right now to decide which I like better....

FC at 1280x1024 with ultra high settings and NO fsaa, or the same resolution with 4x fsaa and normal/high settings...

Right now, I am playing with NO fsaa and every detail in the game menu maxed. Very smooth and I love my card!!!! I have no doubt the X800p would do the same.

Just play the damn game.... :D

ShowMeThe$$$$$$ said:
O what was that? What? I can't hear you!! Ignore rulz!! LoloOLlOLolOLolollllolllooolllolll!!!11!1oneone1one

what the hell happened to my thread?

Back