Will I need 512MB or 1 GB of memory?

Gorebag

Weaksauce
I am buying some ram for my new a64 system which i am overclocking.
the question: will i need 512MB or 1GB of mem? (OCZ pc3700EB ram).
I plan to make the choice based on what online play of DOOM 3 should require. any recommendations? as this is quite expensive ram and it only comes in dual packs.

A gig sure can't hurt too much. That way you'll be ready for both present and future.

1 gig bud
everything will load faster and perform alot better even with farcry it'll benefit from the extra 512 not just doom 3

in the past hour i think this is the 5th person to ask this question, just weird. if u don't overclock a cheaper gig of ram will help. if u do 512 of some badass corsair will be great.

if you wanna even think about video editing 1 gig minimum, i violate this reasoning, and because of that it takes sometimes 1 minute PER frame to render a 3d scene, i will be upgrading soon and hopefully it will yield better reults

512 (corsair XMS low lat) = choppy far cry even with the 9800 XT and a 2.5ghz CPU
1 gig (corsair XMS low lat) = fairly smooth farcry with 9800 XT and a 2.5 ghz CPU

i'm very picky with my graphics, fairly smooth is smooth but could be better imo. get 2 gigs if you can, the more the better

I say 1 gig, especially if you are going to do some gaming...

I'm not a [H]ardcore gamer, but my system gets pretty slow when I'm encoding DVDs, surfin' the net, and playing Civ III all at once along with some background apps I usually run. Go for the gig.

-TFR

TFR said:
I'm not a [H]ardcore gamer, but my system gets pretty slow when I'm encoding DVDs, surfin' the net, and playing Civ III all at once along with some background apps I usually run. Go for the gig.

-TFR

you play civ 3, surf the net and encode dvd's all at the asme time? ;p damn, seems pretty intensive (all though i guess its possible with a game like civilization 3)

thank god processors can handle multiple tasks at once :)

Also, if you plan on making the choices based on what doom 3 online will require, i highly recommend the 1gb, since it seems like games are needing them more and more (or it helps at least)

I just ordered 1 GB of OCZ PC3700 EB ram. look forward to gettin it in a couple days!

512MB stick will have better OC timing (for the price)
1G stick will not.

I too upgrading to AMD64, with VIA chipset, there is only 2 slots for use for PC3200 (not the 939). If you got 2X 512MB, you are stick with 1G total. With a stick of 1G, you still have room to add....

I don't have any data to prove it, but in my mind, I have to think that 1gb of ram will do more to improve overall system performance than OCed 512mb of ram. Even if they performed the same, I'll still take 1gb over OCed 512mb + ego boost just for the fact that my non-OCed memory chips could last longer.

I used to play BF1942 and Farcry, and dabbled a bit in City of Heros, but I recently picked up Civ III for 6 bucks at a local computer store. And although I look forward to Doom 3, I have to say that Civ III is almost as addictive as EQ. Of crud...England is after me again :eek:

-TFR

Back