Opinions on the Lian-Li PC-65

Biff Hardbody

Limp Gawd
I'm currently looking at the Lian-Li PC-65 Case. Its my first time building a computer, and I want to do it right. My first concern is cooling, then noise. Here is the case-

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-024&depa=1

I have read many user and site reviews. It sounds like a very good case. Still, I have questions I would like answered.

1) Is it noisy? I have heard it rattles.

2) How cool is it? I'd like a very cool case so I don't have any problems with my powerful hardware.

3) Is there any conflicts with certain hardware (PSU's not fitting, cramped space...ecd.)

4) Any other thoughts you have on this case.

Thank you for your time.

okay here we go

1. no i dont thinks its to noisy u can change the speed of the front fans.

2. i think this i a cool case but everybody has their own taste.

3. no i dont think so i havent heard anything about it.

4. its a nice case that is what i think :D

Biff Hardbody said:
I'm currently looking at the Lian-Li PC-65 Case. Its my first time building a computer, and I want to do it right. My first concern is cooling, then noise. Here is the case- I have read many user and site reviews. It sounds like a very good case. Still, I have questions I would like answered.

1) Is it noisy? I have heard it rattles.
First it uses 80mm fans, they are inherently not as quiet as 92mm or 120mm fans. Unless you buy fans like the SilenX ones (which aren't for overclocking), then you will have a moderately noisy case. But this is factor with all cases that use 80mm fans As far as rattles, the extra PCI slot covers can rattle no matter how hard they're screwed down. The solution is wedge a small piece of form or cardboard between the bottom of the slot cover and the back of the case. Problem solved. No other noise problems.

Biff Hardbody said:
2) How cool is it? I'd like a very cool case so I don't have any problems with my powerful hardware.

Cooling isn't a problem. My XP2500+ running at stock speed, but at 100% CPU Folding@Home reads 40C case / CPU. Idle is about 31C.. That’s with stock fans. You want better cooling then you will trade off cooling for increased noise.

Biff Hardbody said:
3) Is there any conflicts with certain hardware (PSU's not fitting, cramped space...ecd.).
Using an Antec Trupower 430 watt PSU it’s necessary to remove the bottom 92mm fan grill before installing the PSU. Other than that, no other problems.

Biff Hardbody said:
4) Any other thoughts you have on this case.

Thank you for your time.

This is a very nice case, I’ve had mine for almost 2 years and am pleased with it. Lots of people here use Lian Li cases with water cooling.

But my next case will have 120mm fans front and back for better cooling at reduced noise.

Thank you both very much.

qdemn7, Thank you especially for the indepth review of the case. It sounds excellent. The only thing that makes me unsure is taking off the PSU grill. I am going to use a Antec 550, and am unsure if this will need to be done and if it will cause problems for me building it.

Thank you very much for all the insight. I sincerely appreciate it.

well, I've had mine for almost a year now, so I'll answer your questions and throw in whatever other relative info I can on it..

1) No, it's not noisy. I do not have any rattling in my case. Everything fits very snuggly, and isn't about to shake around anytime soon.. I do not have any problem with the pci blanks either..

2) My case is VERY cool for the most part. I have the 2nd revision of the PC-65, w/ the top fan. I also bought a modded window with dual 80mm fan holes in it.. So I do have 6 case fans running.. I removed all the original fans, and put in blue led fans for them all, except for the ones in the windows, but those are the same fans, just no led's (got them cuz they're clear) All my fans are hooked up to a dual voltage baybus..

Now, I understand that my case is not stock anylonger, but it helps to explain my temps.. Even if I turn off the fans in the window, and I keep all my fans running at half speed, I get around 25c in my case @ idle.. This is having the ambient temp in the room at around 72F. if I load it up, it'll climb close to 30c.. If I keep my window fans on, the case will go to maybe 28c.. If I keep all my fans at full speed, then we're looking at around 26C at load..

your mileage is going to differ, but you get the idea.. remember, these fans I have are close to the stock fans in terms of CFM.

3) This has simply been the best case I have ever worked on.. Even when installed, I can get my hands in there to do work on it.. there are no sharp edges, everything fits.. I simply have no complaints with this case at all as far as being able to work on it..

My only complaint with it, is that since it's aluminum, it is alittle more fragile.. DO NOT drop anything heavy on it, or it will dent alittle.. also, be care when working on it, as you can easily scratch it if you slip with a screwdriver or something..

4) If this case has the right amount of drive bays, and hard drive storage that you need, then I would say to buy it.. it's a great case, that's light, stays cool, is very easy to work on, and can be modded very nicely.. I do recommend getting the drive bay covers to hide your optical drives.. it keeps it looking nice and neat.. Also, be sure to get rounded cables, and sleeve everything you can.. a neat and tidy cable job will keep your system cool, and look better thru that big ass window.. ;)

Here's a pic of mine.. sorry about the quality, took it off my phone.. :D
fullpic.jpg

Thank you very, very much, Barnaby. That is a terrfiic description, and I really like the picture. I will mostly likely get this case thanks to your recommendation.

Back