Fast 19" LCD Round-Up!

J

jackr

My 19" LCD ROUND-UP!
Below is a list of current 19" LCD Monitors with response time below 20ms.
Please let me know if you've seen any that aren't on this list.

LG Electronics
Model# L193ST, L1930SQ, L1930BQ
Connector: Some Analog, Some DVI (See specs sheets for each on LGE.COM)
Response Time: 12ms and 16ms
Availability: haven't seen them for sale yet...

Phillips Electronics
Model# 190B5CB
Connector: Analog only
Response Time: 16ms
Availiability: Dell Home has it and has been running sales. www.dell.com
Personal Note: I purchased and returned it. EXCELLENT Gaming... disappointing Text.

Sharp Electronics
Model# LL-191
Connector: Analog only
Review: www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2055

Sony Electronics
Model# SDM-HS94P
Connector: DVI and Analog
Response Time: 12ms
Availability: www.amazon.com, www.jr.com
Personal Note: This monitor features "x-brite" screen coatings found in sony's beautiful laptop screens.

ViewSonic
Model# VX910
Connector: DVI and Analogue
Personal Note: This monitor has a 1 year warranty. Most other manufacturers have a 3 year warranty.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice round up, helps me alot!

What differences would i notice with analog and digi?

Anything very noticable?

BoogerB said:
Nice round up, helps me alot!

What differences would i notice with analog and digi?

Anything very noticable?

Some people will say so, I say it depends on the monitor. In addition to my l2335 I own a hs93 hooked up analog, the colors are brighter and more vibrant than any panel ive seen and the image is razor sharp.

Myself I own 193p which is 20ms. I played a lot of games: Painkiller, Splinter Cell, Battlefield 1942, Unreal 2004 and Need For speed underground and I have not noticed much difference between this LCD and other 12ms LCDs such as 172x or 710t. Of the lcd you listed I tested the sharp 19lcd. it is indeed by far the best lcd for gamers in terms of ghosting / blurring but picture is not very sharp and colors are washed out so i do not recommend this LCD. if i had to choose from your list I would go for either LG or Sony. (More than likely LG because it is digital and Sharp has LG pannel so i would expect that ghosting blurring would be as minimal on LG as is on Sharp and LG because of its digital input would have better colors and sharper image compared to Sharp). I think that problem with LG is its low contrast ratio 400:1 which might mean that games which take place in dark environments such as Doom 3 would not look too good on this LCD.

The sony sounded good until I read this ont he specifications:

• Pixel Pitch
.294mm H/V

:eek: :mad: :( :p

ICK!

How about Samsung 193p? It has a good review at Tom's hardware.

Any suggestion?

Benq's 931 has only 450:1 contrast ratio...a bit low but the price is very attractive.

;)

Hi bbc20000,

I notice that you have 193p. How is DVD/VCD playback? Any ghosting? Did you play CS as well?

Thanks

The Samsung 193p comes from a long line of good screens, based on Samsung's proprietary PVA panel. It has a cool design, and is really top notch for vibrant, true colors and crisp readable text. In short, it produces a beautiful still picture:) If all you are going to do is surf the internet, retouch photos or work on office type work the Samsung should be on your short list. If you want to play games on it they will be passable. You will experience some blurring in fast game sequences, but that might not bother you at all, or if you haven't seen anthing better you might not notice it at all!

Before you rush out and buy it though.... look at one of the new 12ms or 16ms monitors. Taken alone, the Samsung is quite good. But....if you place one of the new TN based monitors next to the Samsung 193p and play a game like Unreal Tournament 2k4 which has lots of fast movement you will notice a stark difference. Though the numbers 12, 16 and 20ms are close together, the TN panel is more responsive than the PVA panel. The TN panels are much more crisp in the midst of the fray... that means you can more easily see the enemy's inbound rockets and lunge sideways to safety:) This said though, the Samsung will be more vibrant and beautiful in still sequences (it actually can produce more color variations than the TN panels... this makes up part of the vibrance.)

Hope this helps... for formal reviews check Anandtech and Tom's Hardware (though Tom's might be taken with a grain of salt)... for informal customer reviews... check the HUGE Definitive LCD Monitor Thread under Audio/Visual over at the ArsTechnica Forums, or check customer reviews on the Circuit City, Amazon, or Newegg websites... There's a lot of info out there on the 193p.

I've noticed most of the 12ms and 16ms are over 700... such as the viewsonic...

what would be suggested for under 700, perferably under 650

if there isnt i guess ill be going 710t, although I would rather have 19"

But the 19s dont have the 16x1200 so that is kinda an iffy situation too...

So far that sony looks like it has the best specs with 160/160 viewing angles. But all these are still 16.2 million colors.

Got my Dell 2001FP the other day, I like it a lot. I also have an Envision 9110. The specs differ but in real life the Envision is = to the Dell in UT2003 and other games. Love the Dell for it's 1600X1200 res but side by side (which they are) it's hard to tell much difference in persistance and ghosting.

You might want to add the Envision to you list to check, it's also (as a rule) more affordable.

Just a thought

BillR

Hope that you enjoy your new Samsung 193p. I'm holding out for the Sony SDM-HS94p. I have one on order at Amazon... they say it won't ship till August 18. Has anyone else actually seen on of these new Sony's???

I'm really liking the sony, we have that at my store, I should check it out in depth. What about 20in widescreen?

What store/city?.... I'm wondering when stores here in Pennsylvania will start stocking them...

If you get a change could you compare the Sony SDM-HS94P to other screens by Apple, Samsung or Dell in the area of text readability and color vibrancy. I've previously purchased and returned the Phillips 190S5CB monitor based on the same TN panel as the new Sony... I can vouch for its totally awesome gaming... but I returned the Phillips because of its washed-out color, and mediocre text readability. (School keeps me doing a lot of typing and text work... despite my love for games:) I'm hoping that Sony will tweak the panel and its overlying coatings, add DVI and clear up the problems that I had with the analog Phillips.

I have the new Sony on order at Amazon without even seeing it... if I hear that it stinks I can cancel my order in the next two weeks before it ships and avoid the return shipping hassle and costs...

Thanks...

I can say honestly say it's one, if not the, most amazing monitor on the market. Only sad part is we don't have any in stock. :(

I went ahead and go the 2001fp as dell was having a sale and stacked a few coupons on that and got it for about 700.

Seems like very other week they have a sale on them. PM me if you would like a link.

you have to see the monitor, that little spec doesn't make any difference

Abersami.... try and actually find that Sony in stock at Circuit City (availability is checkable at their website)... I called my local store and they said that not even the warehouse had recieved the monitor lately... I hope this isn't another "paper launch" product...

My concern would be over the dot pitch as well. Spec are indeed only specs, but a dot pitch of .294mm seems like it would be a visible issue. On the other hand, every companies have have published some specs in error on their displays lately as models changed.

Doesn't look like a paper launch, as there have been a few in stores here and there, but the intitial shipment was probably a several hundred units and they are either store display stock or were sold, and that's it until more arrive.

One of the guys at BenQ mentioned on another forum that their inititial US shipment of 23" widescreens was only 900 units, which would have the same kind of effect; enough to get them out to the most important retailers and tease them a little but not enough to really ship any volume. Seems silly as they have plenty of stock in Canada and Europe, but with the economy slowing visibly again companies don't want to jam the channel full of inventory then have to carry it on their books for months and months.

oc

About the dot pitch... the maximum resolution supported by nearly all 19" LCD monitors today is 1280x1024... thus they all will have the same dot pitch. That said you are really not comparing the new Sony against other brands, but rather comparing 19" LCD's against other size screens (most often against 20.1" screens like the popular Dell 2001FP). If you want a low dot pitch screen you can easily find it... get a 17" screen with a max. resolution of 1280x1024 or a 20.1" screen with a max. resolution of 1600x1200.

I've started a new thread arguing the dot pitch issue... that way we can keep this thread about the new 19" monitors...

Here is a link...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=787048

i just bought the new sony 19 12ms with Xbright, I will do a mini review when it arrives in 2 days

jack_r said:
The Samsung 193p comes from a long line of good screens, based on Samsung's proprietary PVA panel. It has a cool design, and is really top notch for vibrant, true colors and crisp readable text. In short, it produces a beautiful still picture:) If all you are going to do is surf the internet, retouch photos or work on office type work the Samsung should be on your short list. If you want to play games on it they will be passable. You will experience some blurring in fast game sequences, but that might not bother you at all, or if you haven't seen anthing better you might not notice it at all!

Before you rush out and buy it though.... look at one of the new 12ms or 16ms monitors. Taken alone, the Samsung is quite good. But....if you place one of the new TN based monitors next to the Samsung 193p and play a game like Unreal Tournament 2k4 which has lots of fast movement you will notice a stark difference. Though the numbers 12, 16 and 20ms are close together, the TN panel is more responsive than the PVA panel. The TN panels are much more crisp in the midst of the fray... that means you can more easily see the enemy's inbound rockets and lunge sideways to safety:) This said though, the Samsung will be more vibrant and beautiful in still sequences (it actually can produce more color variations than the TN panels... this makes up part of the vibrance.)

Hope this helps... for formal reviews check Anandtech and Tom's Hardware (though Tom's might be taken with a grain of salt)... for informal customer reviews... check the HUGE Definitive LCD Monitor Thread under Audio/Visual over at the ArsTechnica Forums, or check customer reviews on the Circuit City, Amazon, or Newegg websites... There's a lot of info out there on the 193p.

I have 193p at home and i did not see a lot of difference between 193p and 172x and 710t. 193p is more than capable of handling games. All LCDs experience blurring even 12ms. There is no perfect LCD yet. You either have to choose a bit slower response or lower image quality. 193p strikes excellent balance between the two.

Great... Aerobahn... can't wait to hear your review... can you include pictures??? Where did you buy from... how much did you pay? I'm still waiting on mine from Amazon...

I got it from www.sonystyle.com

It said in stock. so i bought. Total price was around $930.00 With 34 shipping and 40 tax :(

BUT I GET A $100 MAIL IN REBATE :D

I will post pics and such after i find my digi cam lost in my basement.

unfortunately, sonystyle.com cannot provide a shipment date for that monitor, so your probably going to wait just as long as us to get your hands on one.. :(

It says mine will be shipped on the 5th. maybe you were looking at a different monitor?

Anyone out there have a vx910? Retail price just dropped to $750 but there's a $100 mail in rebate available too. $650 ain't bad for a 16ms 19". I went to take a look at it but I just don't know how it will be in games. My other option is the LG Flatron L1720P which is available at BestBuy for 450 after rebate... $100 an inch.... I dunno they'd both look good with my silver and black parts.

I'm really interested in the Sony, I need a nice quality LCD for my dorm room next year, and I need to purchase it around Mid-August. I currently use a 19inch Sony Trinitron CRT, and I've decided that I dont want to lose any screen real estate, so the Samsung 710 is outta the picture, right now it's really between the Sony SDM-HS94P, the Samsung 193P, and the Dell 2001FP, the dells at the bottom of the list, so hopefully I can spot a nice review of the sony before I need to purchase :)

Lokius said:
I'm really interested in the Sony, I need a nice quality LCD for my dorm room next year, and I need to purchase it around Mid-August. I currently use a 19inch Sony Trinitron CRT, and I've decided that I dont want to lose any screen real estate, so the Samsung 710 is outta the picture, right now it's really between the Sony SDM-HS94P, the Samsung 193P, and the Dell 2001FP, the dells at the bottom of the list, so hopefully I can spot a nice review of the sony before I need to purchase :)
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. One thing to remember is that your 19" Trinitron only has a viewable size of about 18" (a little less actually) and a 17" LCD has 17" viewable. You're really not losing much space. A 19" or 20.1" LCD will definitely have a larger viewing area than your old monitor, but that's not a bad thing.

Back