Doom 3 will require

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabooN

Limp Gawd
Todd Hollenshead, id's chief executive, said Doom 3 will require:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
• 384 megabytes of memory.
• Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
• An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.
If your existing rig doesn't meet these specs, here's a guide to beefing it up to play Doom 3 in all its gory glory.

Here is the LINK

How well will it play on an 8500? Can it handle the bump maps?

What do you need to play it on high?

haha awesome i got an 8500LE :) .. i bet it will play like rubbish..... I plan to upgrade to the 9800pro though.. so i should be fine.. :D

Carmack is probably running water cooled Geforce 6800 UEs in SLI with 512MB of ram on each card (or more). I think he has you beat.

theelviscerator said:
my system is probably faster than carmacks.mwuahahaha

haha yeah that statement is pretty funny, but only from the angle that you might actually believe it.

CIWS said:
haha yeah that statement is pretty funny, but only from the angle that you might actually believe it.

assumming he is still useing AMD's (read it about a year ago) hes probley running a FX53, and even your 3.9Ghz P4 can keep up with that...

Ultra Wide said:
Does Carmack even need the newest and best to develop on?

well, he does write the graphics engine, so.... i would imagine he'd need to be able to tell whether stuff is working or not. so yeah, he prolly has the best stuff in his box.

Ok guys, I have a 9800Pro... P4 [email protected] (watercooled) 1Gig OCZ PC4000 Gold EL Mem, SBAudigy2 and a Samsung 12ms RS 172x monitor...do i upgrade my vid card? I was playing Far Cry with all of the eyecandy up and it was PRETTY slow at the volcano level. Hrmm

I(illa Bee said:
assumming he is still useing AMD's (read it about a year ago) hes probley running a FX53, and even your 3.9Ghz P4 can keep up with that...

Think about it for a second. ID / Carmack has to be able to run the game at it's highest levels (Ultra High Quality Mode) if for no other reason to make sure it works properly. Now do you think any "normal" person is going to have a rig faster than that at this time ? Much less the fact JC has several millions of dollars to spend on whatever he wants. Also I'm not talking about just the CPU, I'm talking a faster system. That means overall.

if he has multiple ferrrari's and one being an F50!!! http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic85593.htm Aslo, his "hobby" is a multi-million $ rocket ship!!

I think he could afford any system he wants... and he probably gets its all free anyway as THE bleeding edge developer of PC games. He probably has ES (unlocked) 3.6Ghz CPU's "donated" to him. I know if I had his money I would probably have a vapochill running 4+ Ghz, with at least 1 6800 ultra if not 2 in SLI.

I wouldn't upgrade it. Your CPU would be the bottleneck if you were to get one of the R420 or NV40 cards I think.

ChingChang said:
I wouldn't upgrade it. Your CPU would be the bottleneck if you were to get one of the R420 or NV40 cards I think.

This baby still has some MHZ left in it!

Ummm..

Guys, big developers have access to next gen hardware - this is espically true for id.

He probably has tech that is still a year away from production - for the very reason another pointed out - to make sure it works.

How quickly this went from Doom3 to a JC discussion...

His system probably ownz everyone's here. Period. So do his cars.

Those minimums will probably rule out almost all prebuilt (dell, compaq, crap, etc) computers older than 2 years, which means a lot of people looking to play this game casually are out of luck without some sort of upgrade.

ehZn said:
How quickly this went from Doom3 to a JC discussion...

His system probably ownz everyone's here. Period. So do his cars.

Those minimums will probably rule out almost all prebuilt (dell, compaq, crap, etc) computers older than 2 years, which means a lot of people looking to play this game casually are out of luck without some sort of upgrade.

Damn..I have a crap-1000...Guess i need an upgrade! :rolleyes:

Look on the bright side, it'll cut back on idiots in multiplayer. Then again..D3 is all about the deathmatch... ;)

The Batman said:
Look on the bright side, it'll cut back on idiots in multiplayer. Then again..D3 is all about the deathmatch... ;)

Yes....no idiots or poor people. Interesting how utopia is be forged in such a hellish setting!

*joke*

Funny though.. those settings are for minum, which will in terms will "run" the game, but in reality its more like "walk or crawl" the game.

I would think recommended specs would be 2.0ghz+ 9800/5950+ cards, 1gb of ram.
high end would probably be like 2.6ghz+ 6800gt/u / x800XTPE cards 1 gb of ram (3200+)

Well if they say 2 GHz or higher, that rules out a lot of lower clocked amd's that would still run the game.

What boggles my mind is how little has happened to cpu's in the last year and a half. I bought my p4 2.8B back in feb of 2003 when it was new, and the C's came out soon after...since then we've had minor increases in speed and some core changes (prescott and amd64) but nothing major (although 939 has certainly pulled ahead of the pack).

Compared to graphics cards, which have almost tripled or quadrupled performance.

I would bet that Carmack's machine is nowhere near as fast as his. For this simple reason: he is doing work and NOT playing games. I would bet that he has a Dell workstation with dual cpu's, a boatload of ram, and whatever the fastest production video card currently available is. He probably has a second machine with alpha hardware from ati or nvidia for testing next gen hardware. Remember that when you are working you want the ultimate in stability and reliability. First gen hardware is rarely completely stable with new drivers let alone alpha hardware! We get a lot of goodies at my work too (engineering sample itaniums, prescotts, athlon64 etc) but nobody uses them to do work because they are not reliable.

kcthebrewer said:
Carmack is probably running water cooled Geforce 6800 UEs in SLI with 512MB of ram on each card (or more). I think he has you beat.

that would require a 1.21 jigga watt power supply

I would think that Carmack would be running a Dual Xeon box w/ most likely a Quardro 3d Card.

ThisMonsterLives said:

Jigga what?

hahaha man thats bad...sorry I couldn't resist.

Looks like I'm set to run D3 pretty well. I think Carmack has several PCs where he can do work at id HQ and a really powerfull machine at home to play some games once and awhile. ;)

Think Carmack has a "Mr Fusion" to go with that? Hmm, you'd probably need a flux capacitor to handle the power... and then there's the whole 88mph thing too. ;)

HAHAHA omg...so great.

A fellow Cincinnatian, I see. Where you at? I'm up near Mason by Kings Island.

mrtsherman said:
I would bet that Carmack's machine is nowhere near as fast as his. For this simple reason: he is doing work and NOT playing games. I would bet that he has a Dell workstation with dual cpu's, a boatload of ram, and whatever the fastest production video card currently available is. He probably has a second machine with alpha hardware from ati or nvidia for testing next gen hardware. Remember that when you are working you want the ultimate in stability and reliability. First gen hardware is rarely completely stable with new drivers let alone alpha hardware! We get a lot of goodies at my work too (engineering sample itaniums, prescotts, athlon64 etc) but nobody uses them to do work because they are not reliable.

you completly contradicted yourself. both of those types of machines would own the mediocre system were talking about

One thing that was mentioned in the PCGamer article that has not received alot of attention is the sound requirement, or lack of one. I have a Audigy 2 ZS and was very dismayed to hear it isn't even going to be utilized. Moreover, the fact that onboard sound chips will handle these duties, I think this will ultimately be more taxing on the CPU. I have an AMD64 2800 and a 6800GT on it's way. Very disappointed that my average CPU is going to take more of a hit and my sound card is for naught. Oh well, there's always HL2, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back