why the dell 2001fp sucks (in pictures!)

mxpxrulzz

[H]ard|Gawd
posted this on genmay and just thought i would share with you guys :)

The fp2001 is the most overated pos i have ever owned.

Dead/Stuck Pixels

Here is a shot of the upper left corner of the screen
ds1.jpg

as you can see these picels are STUCK in the on position. This is incredibly annoying especially when watching a dark movie or if you are on a dark website bg.

don't believe me when i say its noticible?

ds2.jpg

check out right below the genmay logo and imagine staring at that everyday. it sucks.

Burn - In

I figured that this was just an issue with older crts. Wrong. It only takes a few minutes for an image to get burned into the screen. Example:
ds3.jpg

about an hour later

ds4.jpg

ds5.jpg

its pretty sad really. None of my other lcds did this and they were from "lower" brands such as daewoo and envision

Screendooring

This is pretty noticible to me at least on this monitor. Some say they can't notice it but its definently there. The pixels on the 2001fp seem to be "stretched out" causing bigger gaps in the grid hence the "grainy" effect. below are the 2001fp and my cheaper daewoo compared. You can see the daewoo's color is alot richer and smooth

ds6.jpg

there ya have it, just think twice before you rush out and spend money in this monitor. they are low priced for a reason :mad:

LOL Oh shit sry about you purchase, id hate that to happen to me I know how ya feel thogh.

Since you ordered from dell I think, you have 21 days to return it and get a full refund. I also think they will pick it up for you. The Monitor could be defective

if you call dell make your situation seem worse and more dramatic and things in that nature

Good Luck

vinny77 said:
LOL Oh shit sry about you purchase, id hate that to happen to me I know how ya feel thogh.

Since you ordered from dell I think, you have 21 days to return it and get a full refund. I also think they will pick it up for you. The Monitor could be defective

if you call dell make your situation seem worse and more dramatic and things in that nature

Good Luck
i got it last xmas, my mom paid for half of it. i dont have the heart to tell her i have to send this thing back after she paid 400 of it. just wanted to let all those future fp2001 buyers not to waste their money!

vinny77 said:
why did you wait so Long
the pixels actully gradually showed up after a period

at first i only had one, by the second month i had about 10

Your not the only one. My 2001 POS is litterally the 3rd in a long pile of ass. I have sent this thing back tons of times only to get a worse one. My 213t owned this thing.

I hate to tell you, but most LCD's and Plasma's will have burn in

CRT > *...especially for my money :)

LCDs are not supposed to have burn in. Plamsa will. Do a google search of LCD burn in and you will see that it is impossible for such a thing to occur. They will have ghosts which is different than burn in because ghosts will go away and burn in is permanent. I have a temporary image of the start button burned in right now. I'll leave a white screen on all night and it will go away. Annoying? Yes. Oh well, it still dominates the NEC 2141 I had.

I just got a 2001FP today and so far its perfect. I went to this monitor from a 1800FP and adjusted to the "screen door" effect on that monitor, and honestly the new one feels like a larger version thats all. I only have a Ti4200 so I can't really comment on games yet, I'm waiting on a 6800GT since I sold my 9800 Pro. I have zero dead pixels and no back light issues so far, I'm still going to play with it a lot and make sure I'm fully happy becaose $800 is a lot to invest in another $400 more than my 1800FP. For s-video, 1600x1200 rez and 16ms response time I'm not sure if its worth it. So far though, very positive experience with this dell. Hopefully I dont have pixels go awry in the next month or two.

Dan, or anyone else who has a GF ti 4200, can you answer me a question real quick?

I have a 64 MB Ti 4200, and I want to use my new LCD display in conjunction with a CRT monitor for "dual displays"...

I have VGA and DVI outputs, however, is this sufficient enough to run Dual Display mode?

Is there any option I can look for which will tell me if I have this capability? Or will I have to buy a new card (hopefully not... :( )

Any help is appreciated.

I look forward to getting my 2001FP soon.

BigDH01 said:
LCDs are not supposed to have burn in. Plamsa will. Do a google search of LCD burn in and you will see that it is impossible for such a thing to occur. They will have ghosts which is different than burn in because ghosts will go away and burn in is permanent. I have a temporary image of the start button burned in right now. I'll leave a white screen on all night and it will go away. Annoying? Yes. Oh well, it still dominates the NEC 2141 I had.

Actually LCDs and plasmas can suffer from both image retension and permanent burn-in. LCDs don't have any phosphors so they cannot burn in per-se, however they can have long-lasting effects if the screen has a DC electrical leakage problem. LCD burn in is exorbantly rare but still happens often enough that many LCD manufacturers will know what it is if it happens.

Plasmas on the other hand will actually have ghosting so burn-in isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. That said plasma is still ill-suited to HTPC use with a heavy emphasis of your time being in a Windows/Linux/whatever desktop environment.

both the dead pixels and he burn-in seemed to show up about 2 - 3 months after i bought it. so it may be fine now, but have fun returning it later :)

I got mine in December also, and it still looks as good as the day it came out of the box.

JGene
- you can use the dual monitors with your card, you just may have to get new drivers though.
All you have to do is connect them both and then in the display properties settings tab
right click on the 2nd monitor and select attached. You should then get a signal to
monitor 2, and be able to place the monitors (in the control panel) side by side 1 and 2
or 2 and 1 or up and down or diagonal.

mxpxrulzz
- I would buy the exact same LCD from dell, open them both and switch the panels...
or see if you can buy the same panel from a diffrent brand and switch those.

I have a Dell i8200 with the Ultra Sharp 15" for more than 2 years and its been absolutely
stellar...I've been using a Solarism 17" LCD for a year longer and its always been damn
awesome.

Great post very informative. Now I dont' feel so bad for skipping a couple deals on one. Thanks.

had my 2001FP for about 4 months now, and don't have any of the issues you're describing. Sorry you got a bad one, but let's not make generalizations. Of course, now I want an apple 23 or 30"... :D

I have serveral 2001FP's for 2-6 months.. no problems yet..

Zero stuck pixels on any of them... and pretty good even backlighting..

kuyaglen said:
JGene
- you can use the dual monitors with your card, you just may have to get new drivers though.

All you have to do is connect them both and then in the display properties settings tab right click on the 2nd monitor and select attached. You should then get a signal to monitor 2, and be able to place the monitors (in the control panel) side by side 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 or up and down or diagonal.

Dual monitors? Are you talking about using one monitor to get 1368x768 going then attach another monitor via DVI to the video card and clone the desktop from the first monitor to the second?

I'm not having any problems driving my monitor, ie getting it to display at all. My problem is trying to drive the monitor at the same resolution as the LCD panel it contains. So far I have not been successful.

Sorry to see your Dell 2001FP isn't working correctly. I have 2 (have had both since Nov 2003) and have none of the problems you listed. There is not any Burn in on either of my screen's (tried doing the Dell Sucks as you have using Photoshop, and it doesn't stick like on your screen). Also, neither of my Dell's have any stuck (or bad) pixels like yours does (I have run the utilities from Monitors Direct several times on each monitor just now to verify this).

As for the Screen door effect. I need to be like 1 inch away from the screen to even notice it. If you sit at arms length from the screen, you would never be able to pick it up (at least I can't with 20/20 vision).

Couple of questions for you...

1. Do you run you screen at 1600x1200 all the time (maybe not in gaming, but just the desktop)?

2. Do you leave your monitor on all the time, without a screen saver, or in power savings mode?

If I were you, I would call Dell, and see if they could send a replacement (as yours is obviously defective). They might be able to work something out (at least an exchange I would imagine), since its under a year old.

I have the image retention problem (the "Dell Sucks" issue) on my Samsung 213T. It doesn't usually last long, and it's normally only noticeable on grey and grey-blue backgrounds (like the HardForum and SpeedGuide.net's forums).

The main gripe I have with it is that it comes about just after a couple of minutes with the same window open. I can understand if I'd left the screen on for a couple of hours, but only after a couple of minutes? Ugh. I've noticed that this problem and the "screen door effect" usually only plagues LCDs of 20" or larger in size. As for screen door, I don't notice it unless I have to get close to the screen for something; distance plays a big part in that.

I had two 2001FPs and both had many dead/stuck pixels off the bat. The screen door drove me nuts. So i bought a 213t and have been happy since.

Ive never noticed burn in on the 2001fp i had or the 213t. I just checked since my AIM window has been open for a long time i just minimised it to see if the area where it was was lighter than my black background. I didnt notice any discoloration.

Powerhouse2k said:
Sorry to see your Dell 2001FP isn't working correctly. I have 2 (have had both since Nov 2003) and have none of the problems you listed. There is not any Burn in on either of my screen's (tried doing the Dell Sucks as you have using Photoshop, and it doesn't stick like on your screen). Also, neither of my Dell's have any stuck (or bad) pixels like yours does (I have run the utilities from Monitors Direct several times on each monitor just now to verify this).

As for the Screen door effect. I need to be like 1 inch away from the screen to even notice it. If you sit at arms length from the screen, you would never be able to pick it up (at least I can't with 20/20 vision).

Couple of questions for you...

1. Do you run you screen at 1600x1200 all the time (maybe not in gaming, but just the desktop)?

2. Do you leave your monitor on all the time, without a screen saver, or in power savings mode?

If I were you, I would call Dell, and see if they could send a replacement (as yours is obviously defective). They might be able to work something out (at least an exchange I would imagine), since its under a year old.

some people dont seem to notic the screendoor effect but it drives me crazy. the colors look so grainy

and nah i use powersave, but if an aim window or a certain website bg is static for a while it will get temp burned in

I had a 2001fp for about 4 days before sending it back. It had numerous stuck pixels which showed up somewhere between Boise, ID and Oklahoma. And I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from wasn't trying to rip me off, since he gave me a full refund including return shipping.

The screen door effect was also very noticable to me and the overall picture just seemed 'fuzzy'. The space was nice, but I'd rather have 17" of razor sharp space then 20" of screendoor.

I've got a 710T right now, still trying to decide whether or not to keep it or go back to the VP171B.

paladin0 said:
I had two 2001FPs and both had many dead/stuck pixels off the bat. The screen door drove me nuts. So i bought a 213t and have been happy since.

So you don't have the screendoor effect on the 213t? That's interesting, because I'd heard screendoor was caused by these 20" screens with only 1600x1200 pixels, which isn't dense enough - and the 213t is an inch bigger, so you would think it would be even worse.

Screendooring on my 213T. Granted, these were taken at extreme close-up, and my typical 2-foot distance from the monitor eliminates the screen door, at least to my eyes. The second one isn't so bad, but it's there.

The image retention problem is far more irritating to me, however. I'm trying to get a pic of my own for that.

screendoor1.jpg

screendoor2.jpg

Screen door effect on LCDs? How close do you guys sit to your monitors? Then again the dot pitch on the Dell 2001FP is 0.25mm. If you sit less than 2 feet from the monitor then yeah, I guess it would be noticable.

I have a Sharp LC-37G4U and I cannot see the pixels unless I'm 7" from the screen (broke out my ruler). However with 37" of screen real-estate there's no way I'm ever going to be that close to my LCD. Dot pitch on my screen is probably about .602mm.

torquemada - have you used both a 213t and a 2001fp?
if so, can you tell a difference in quality?

eabandit said:
torquemada - have you used both a 213t and a 2001fp?
if so, can you tell a difference in quality?

No, sorry, I've just used the 213T. I have just always gone with Samsung LCDs due to their quality.

Torquemada XP said:
No, sorry, I've just used the 213T. I have just always gone with Samsung LCDs due to their quality.
i had a 2001fp for a few days and i could see horrible horrible horizontal lines every other pixel and it really bothered me. i think that it wasnt the screen door effect exactly, but something related perhaps. does your 213t have any problems like this at all? if i sit a foot away or less from the screen am i going to be annoyed working in windows and photoshop?

eabandit said:
i had a 2001fp for a few days and i could see horrible horrible horizontal lines every other pixel and it really bothered me. i think that it wasnt the screen door effect exactly, but something related perhaps. does your 213t have any problems like this at all? if i sit a foot away or less from the screen am i going to be annoyed working in windows and photoshop?

The lines are visible on my 213T if I have to get close to work on something. At a standard distance (about 1.5-2.0 feet for me), it's unnoticeable.

Torquemada XP said:
The lines are visible on my 213T if I have to get close to work on something. At a standard distance (about 1.5-2.0 feet for me), it's unnoticeable.
horizontal lines? or like a grid of pixels? the pixel grid i dont mind.. the repeating horizontal stripes are what kill me

eabandit said:
horizontal lines? or like a grid of pixels? the pixel grid i dont mind.. the repeating horizontal stripes are what kill me

I'm talking about the "stripes." it seems to be endemic to LCDs 20" or larger in size.

Torquemada XP said:
I'm talking about the "stripes." it seems to be endemic to LCDs 20" or larger in size.
sorry, just to clarify, like in this picture?
i photoshopped it to look like what i would see on the dell when i viewed it from about 1 foot or closer

http://www.iupload.net/062004/stripes23.jpg

does the 213t also look like that closer? yes, the stripes are THAT glaringly obvious. when i went to best buy earlier today i swear i coudlnt see this on the 213t... ?

eabandit said:
sorry, just to clarify, like in this picture?
i photoshopped it to look like what i would see on the dell when i viewed it from about 1 foot or closer

http://www.iupload.net/062004/stripes23.jpg

does the 213t also look like that closer? yes, the stripes are THAT glaringly obvious. when i went to best buy earlier today i swear i coudlnt see this on the 213t... ?

Not so pronounced, by they are visible close-up.

mxpxrulzz

thanks for informing us of these problems. finally someone posts the screen door effect that is not too blown up, and is compared relative to another lcd.

get a replacment 2001fp

tell us if it has the same problems

i want to know if the one u have is defective , or if all 2001fps are the same

Torquemada

the screen door effect on the 213 is very apparent on a gray background
but on a blue background it's not too bad

is the screendoor effect worse on a dell 2001fp with a gray background?

I've got a few 1901FP's atm, one of them had a single dead pixel stuck in off. Dell sent a new one, They dropped off the new one and picked up the old at the same.

This is Dell UK though, also official Dell policy was 6 dead pixels and you get a new one. Dell UK seem to be happy to replace with just one dead thought.

Back