Pictures of my 2001fp backlight... worth returning?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some thoughts here...

fp1.jpg

fp2.jpg

Forgive my grainy images. My camera sucks at taking pics in the dark but you can still see the wild backlight issue of the 2001fp. I would love this monitor if it didnt have this problem and it looks worse in person. I'm thinking of bypassing the risk of getting another defective one via an extange and just getting a refund and getting the viewsonic 20 inch from monitors direct. What do you guys think?

Mike

Note: Those white dots arent dead pixels its my shitty camera. I will give Dell some credit... my 2001fp has no dead pixels but come on! Would you rather settle for 1 or 2 dead pixels at 1600x1200 or have to settle for this horrible backlight?

FearTheMike said:
Note: Those white dots arent dead pixels its my shitty camera. I will give Dell some credit... my 2001fp has no dead pixels but come on! Would you rather settle for 1 or 2 dead pixels at 1600x1200 or have to settle for this horrible backlight?
I'd rather have a quality 17" screen.

FearTheMike said:

Neither... I'd rather *settle* for a quality 19".

Mine does a similar thing, but only on the right side. I just kept it since it didn't have any dead pixels. It's up to you, if it's going to bother you forever then exchange it, if not then just keep it.

Return it. Maybe you'll get lucky next time.

I've read stories about the backlighting issue, but this is the first time I've actually seen it.

I was going to buy a 2001fp soon, but now I'm not so sure

The backlighting leakage shown is unacceptable

Have you tried FLEXING the plastic case/bezel ?

What if you lowered the brightness?

WickedWeasel said:
Return it. Maybe you'll get lucky next time.

I've read stories about the backlighting issue, but this is the first time I've actually seen it.

I was going to buy a 2001fp soon, but now I'm not so sure

The backlighting leakage shown is unacceptable

Have you tried FLEXING the plastic case/bezel ?

What if you lowered the brightness?

What is flexing the plastic base/bezel? What does that do? Some other guy did something similar but I hear it doesn't really help. What exactly do you do? Brightness at 0 and brightness at 100... there really is no difference in terms of the backlight leaking. You can turn the brightness and contrast (on analog) to 0 giving you no picture at all and the backlight problem is the same. Granted its only visible on black and really dark colors but its exremely annoying. It looks worse in person. If this wasn't a "known issue" I would reccomend this monitor to everyone regaurdless of the black and grey color rendering. The backlight issue is visible exactly the same wether the computer is on or not... as long as the monitor is on and on black or real dark colors you see it.

I'd try one exchange and see if you get lucky.

I received my 2001FP a week ago or so and my backlighting is uniform/no dead pixels.

Xrave said:
I'd try one exchange and see if you get lucky.

I received my 2001FP a week ago or so and my backlighting is uniform/no dead pixels.

The 20inch Viewsonic is sopposedly better anyway plus it has deeper blacks (from what I hear). I'm thinking of just getting a full refund. I'd rather pay an extra 100 bucks for an LCD that has deeper blacks and better backlighting.

The blacks look pretty deep to me (at least I don't noctice any "shady" blacks).

They all use the same panel, not to discourage you but I think the reason why people say ViewSonic has better quality control is because they sell a lot less than Dell. Less people buy it, then less people will complain about it.

Xrave said:
The blacks look pretty deep to me (at least I don't noctice any "shady" blacks).

Thats the camera. It sucks at taking dark pics. But the backlight problem was bright enough to get the camera to pick it up. I was surprised my camera saw it. My camera sucks... it looks worse in person.

Well my 2001FP looks like a solid black to me...so I guess it's all luck of the draw.

Back