New PC P&C Power Supply Coming Soon w/PCIe and 24pin BTX

BlueAqua

Gawd
Hello all, I sent an email to PC Power and Cooling asking what they have in store for us in the near future and they said this>>>

In answer to your question in about 4 weeks will should have finished testing our new BTX power supply. That will do all of the newest requirements.In the range of 800 watts. This will take care of the PCI-Express slots.We will have both 800 and 510 power supply versions in our lineup...Please read the article in next month's maximum pc magazine or check their web site.

Best Regards,

Russ Smith
Tech Support
PC Power & Cooling, Inc.
(800) 722-6555
(760) 931-6988 FAX

Can't wait til next months Maximum PC

thanx
I just fired off an email to them as well regarding what a special order
ATX12V v2.0 and EPS12V compliant PSUs (dual and triple +12V rails) would run
its possible the first would be addressed in the new PSU

Ice Czar said:
thanx
I just fired off an email to them as well regarding what a special order
ATX12V v2.0 and EPS12V compliant PSUs (dual and triple +12V rails) would run
its possible the first would be addressed in the new PSU

lets hope they got that "issue" all ironed out. :p

We will see (more like I will see firsthand, lol)

An 800 watt ATX Rev. 2.0 compliant power supply?! What's that all about? I suppose in this culture of ours, we want even our power supplies "Super-Sized." :p

I'd really like power supply manufacturers to work on power efficiency and cleaner outputs. I have yet to see a power supply that keeps inductive loads like fans and drive motors separate from logic supplies. That would make for a cleaner supply for noise sensitive circuits like the soundcard and videocard.

I think you all are forgetting impending SLI.

My Nvidia rep tells me that in their test setups, the SLI cards, mobo, cpu, and memory suck 400w ALONE.

800w sounds good to me !

the new SLI cards about 75-150w each, then the chips are like 70, mobo, ram, say 2 hard drives, fans, one pci card, thats about x > 500 right there.

Retro Rex said:
Isn't that the whole computer?? lol

drives eat nothing...and its from the 12V line anyway

the CPU and mobo are now +12V too
and drives will draw 4 time thier run draw at spinup
as do fans, overcoming inertia
and that introduces a serious transient load (spining and and when the level out)
same with opticals on and off

which is why cheaper supplys had better have isolated +12V rails
and even with better supplies its a good idea ;)

and drives can add up, not everone is running a single HDD and Optical
I have 8 HDDs currently,
@ 2A per HDD +12Vfor 16Amps,
and an Optical at 1.5A +12V
3 x120mm Mid Case Rackmount Fans at 0.45 each
Grand Total before even powering the Mobo and CPUs is 18.85A
and thats alot of draw on spinup

BTX is worthless since its really only for OEM's just like WTX is... and i really wish somone would finally realize this as im tired of hearing about it...

anywhoo... an 800 watt PCP&C would probably cost at least $350~$500

no thx

get two of those $80 fortron 550 watt psu's... a little electrical magic, wham, 4x +12v lines :p

hell, 2x +5 lines, and +3.3 lines while your at it too ;) although i wouldent recommend that unless the mobo is designed to do such silly things... :cool:

FLECOM said:
BTX is worthless since its really only for OEM's just like WTX is... and i really wish somone would finally realize this as im tired of hearing about it..

as a form factor yes (the weird PSU with the cut corners)
but not as it will be effecting PSU overall
in fact its already thrown a monkey wrench into the OCZ supply and the load it requires to fire up,
the CPU and Mobo not being enough draw on some boards, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=777867
the supply being BTX compliant but some mobos not, its a POW_ON, or Power Good Issue
the work around being add a few drives and everthing works

and BTX as a spec still calls for considerably more power for PCI-E as does ATX\PCI-E
your assertion that its "only" going to be OEM I dont completely buy, I think some of the smaller form factors will see partial or full adoption,
especially in enthusiast HTPC
and that many PS2 sized PSU will be multi compaltible (as the OCZ)

jamestime88 said:
my computer uses under 300w, who on earth would need an 800w psu.
workstations, servers, and NAS
dual high power CPUs
workstation level garphic cards (dual? SLi?)
PCI-E
RAID with say 8 SCSI drives
or worse a SCSI NAS with 16 drives at 2.3A each (36.8A on the +12V for just the drives)

I have no problems configuring as system that has a total output over 650 watts
and that doesnt include PCI-E or SLi
http://takaman.jp/D/index.html?english
and when you add in a safety margin....

jamestime88 said:
my computer uses under 300w, who on earth would need an 800w psu.

Me?

Already have 3 optical, 3 SCSI and 4 SATA drives in my new Prescott system- that says enough right there; but I'm also planning on an additional 6-8 SATA drive array in the same system- and yes, I have room. :D

my three 15k SCSI drives sure likes sucking up those +12 amps :p

and the only BTX stuff that i think is neat is the SFF ones... but i still dont see that really taking off any time soon...

and BTX is completely worthless for servers and high end workstations as it really dosent take into account multiple CPU's

One look at the BTX specification and you'll see that it's not designed to supplant any server/workstation designs. This includes motherboard sizes, volumetric zones, acoustic recommendations--none of these coincide with commonly accepted server/workstation specs. Clearly, BTX is a spec designed for the desktop mainstream market and for office computers.

Keep in mind next year they have dual core CPUs targeted to be released. I really don't see them shrinking the transistor sizes so more than likely we'll see cores that are double the size. Double the size and you double power requirements as well. People could very easily have systems that act like 4 CPU monsters right now. That alone would take some power.

Also if video cards don't necessarily need one of the 16X PCI-E slots someone in theory could slap 4+ video cards in their system. Trust me someone will try and probably succeed in doing this. Power requirements on 4x 6800 Ultras probably won't be low.

64bit allows more than 2GB of ram so you could start seeing 4+gb systems on the market. That will pull some additional power as well.

Then of course the people that have 20 drives and 80 case fans in their system etc.

Anarchist4000 said:
64bit allows more than 2GB of ram so you could start seeing 4+gb systems on the market. That will pull some additional power as well.

yah think? :p

Id agree BTX for workstations\servers would be a pointless exercise, Im mean to my mind BTX is primarilly about improving the thermal solution that slowly got out of hand with ATX, but in the server\workstation segment that was addressed quite awhile ago at least in rackmounts

Interesting. I may need one of those in the future. :cool: What I want is a PSU with detachable cables, so I can remove any cables that I don't have plugged in to any peripheral.

Antec Neopower
very compatible, and ATX12V v2.0 compliant
dual +12V rails, even has the new PCI-E 6 pin Video connector

ships with 24 pin main with 20 pin converter
and has the 3% voltage regulation youd get with a Truepower series
nice supply ;)

Back