Monarch is sending the wrong A64 3400+, need advice!

juniormlc

Limp Gawd
I'm planning to purchase a Shuttle SN85G4V2 in the next week. Last night I purchased an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle processor from Monarch Computer Systems. I know it was a Newcastle because it was listed as having only 512K of cache. I just got an email from them tonight with my tracking number and an invoice for an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with 1MB cache!

Here is my dilemma. I wanted the Newcastle because I feel that I'll get more performance from the extra 200MHz than I will from the extra cache. The Newcastle will be running 2.4GHz stock, how far do you guys think I can push this chip in a bone stock Shuttle? I know the HTT limit will be around 220 with my Raptor hard drive and that would equal 2.64GHz on the processor. Is this achievable?

I might consider keeping the Clawhammer if it is a CG Revision. At 220 HTT it will be running at 2.42GHz. Is this an easy overclock with a bone stock Shuttle? I guess my main question is this --> Is there a certain CPU speed that, regardless of which core you have, starts to overwhelm the ICE Cooling System? If 2.45GHz is pushing the limits of the ICE Cooling System I might as well keep the Clawhammer. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Back