Radiation Fallout Meter hard drive enclosure, USB 2.0 version

widefault

Supreme [H]ardness
Radiation Fallout Meter hard drive enclosure, USB 2.0 version

I've previously built a firewire hard drive enclosure using an old CD-RW firewire case and an even older civil defense fallout meter. Came out pretty well, have it rigged so the guage lights up to show power and the needle moves to show drive activity. Pictures can be seen here.

That one is currently hosting a 30GB drive and gets daily use, but I was in need of something with broader compatibility so I bought a cheap USB 2.0 drive enclosure.
fmusb1.jpg

That one worked well enough, but it lacked pizazz. Since my firewire case is a good attention getter I set out to build another.

Hurdle #1, getting another radiation fallout meter. I was off to ebay, thinking I'd get another one as cheaply as I'd gotten my first. No such luck, ended up paying twice what the first one was.

Hurdle #2, when I got the fallout meter it was noticeably different from the first one. The guage is a different type, sealed metal with a plastic face as opposed to the all plastic guage on my first meter. Makes it a bit more involved when mounting the power LED.

Hurdle #3, the USB bridge board in the USB case was a bit wide to fit into the fallout meter. I actually had to trim one corner down to get it to fit.

I did some proper revisions on this one, which led to one more problem. In the first version, the hard drive was mounted upside down because of a mismeasurement and poorly placed mounting screw holes. So in this one I measured everything properly, but when I went to put the drive in I noticed there were ridges inside the case that kept the drive from dropping easily into place. A couple minutes with a grinder fixed those, although the drive is still a tight fit.

One other issue was when cutting the holes for cables and the power switch. I roughed the holes out with a Dremel, then did my best to make everything fit with files and elbow grease. Well, the power switch turned out like crap because I couldn't find my small files. It's not awful, but I'm not real happy with the results. This can be seen in one pic below.

Still have a few things left to do.
- blue LED mounted in the guage, I have a hole drilled but don't have an LED
- cooling fan will be mounted in the bottom of the case. This one is going to be running a 160GB drive which gets pretty hot. I'm waiting on a fan grill and I need to find a low profile fan since a standard size is about 1mm too tall.
- the fan also means I need to put some feet on this or the fan won't be able to get any air. Probably just going to use some small rubber feet, anything else may look strange.

Anyway, here's the first pics.
fmusb2.jpg

fmusb3.jpg

In this one you can see the crappy cut outs.
fmusb4.jpg

If you look close in this one you can see the rounded off corner of the bridge board.
fmusb5.jpg

I don't have a pic of the connections for the guage or the needle in action, want to wait til it's 100% done.

Now you need to figure out how to make the guage move when HD activity is going on ;)

Can you post pics of the other one you did?

Something for the gauge and the pin 39/40 IDE LED activity light should work.

ness, check the link to my other case, there's a video clip of that one in action. This one is already working, I'm waiting til I get the LED put in before I post a video clip.

the metal part should come off if you take off those nuts, and it should be a regular plastic meter in there...

i have a few meters similar to that design (circa same year probly too) from Navy surplus that i replaced the scale to VU and used as vu meters on my headphone amp

Nope, this is a metal shell with a plastic liner that supports the guage face. The metal shell also holds the plastic over the guage in place. Tried to take it apart when I got it, not an option. BUT this does make the LED seem brighter, the shell acts as a reflector.

wayne said:
personally, i think its possible
Once again, both of them are already hooked up that way. Check the link in my first post, there's a video of the needle in action.

Here's a small WM9 video of both in action. Left one twitches when I open a directory, both start twitching as I move files.

Click Me!!!

widefault said:
Here's a small WM9 video of both in action. Left one twitches when I open a directory, both start twitching as I move files.

Click Me!!!
that is hot

how come the led is brighter one the left side?

and how did you host a video like that?, i wanna host videos but i dont know how

The face of the guage on the left is white plastic, the right one has a painted metal face so all you can see is what makes it around the side and through an open spot under the textured plastic.

All I did for hosting was to put the file on a server and link it. It's Windows Media 9, which will stream easily.

Great mod! In fact i'm going to have to steal the idea and do something similar myself I think ;)

widefault said:
The face of the guage on the left is white plastic, the right one has a painted metal face so all you can see is what makes it around the side and through an open spot under the textured plastic.

All I did for hosting was to put the file on a server and link it. It's Windows Media 9, which will stream easily.
OOOHHH, makes sense... thats pretty cool... what about the knobs right beneath the handle, are those used for anything?

so you recorded the video and hosted it on a server?... what do you mean by a server?... because i upload pics to image hosters but i m pretty sure they wont host my videos

where do you find a server?, or is it your computer that you're hosting it from?

Knobs are non-functional, for now.

Video was recorded with a DV camera, captured over firewire, and compressed to Windows Media 9. I'm hosting it on my webserver with the rest of the images and site.

Decided to see how tough it would be to get the fan installed.

fmfan.jpg

Fitting fan grill, eh? Fan is hooked up to 5 volts, turns slow and is quiet, but does the job. Sure, I could have used a 60mm, but the 80mm was free.

widefault said:
Knobs are non-functional, for now.

Video was recorded with a DV camera, captured over firewire, and compressed to Windows Media 9. I'm hosting it on my webserver with the rest of the images and site.
my friend got me to sign up for this webserver thing... but i m not sure how to use it

how exactly did you host it on the webserver?
sry, i really wanted to know..thanks

I just uploaded the video file to the webserver and made a link here to the file name. It's all pretty basic, the webserver sees it as just another file for people to download.

widefault said:
I just uploaded the video file to the webserver and made a link here to the file name. It's all pretty basic, the webserver sees it as just another file for people to download.
well, the part i dont understand is HOW you uploaded it... i dont know the exact steps to doing so

how?, and if any, which guides/tuts?

thanks

wayne said:
well, the part i dont understand is HOW you uploaded it... i dont know the exact steps to doing so

how?, and if any, which guides/tuts?

thanks
Make a video clip. Put it on your webspace, probably with SmartFTP or something. Link to it. How is that hard? :D

That is an incredible mod. Very good work, especially with the gauges. :cool:

lorcani said:
Make a video clip. Put it on your webspace, probably with SmartFTP or something. Link to it. How is that hard? :D
wheres my webspace?... is it that folder or directory thing that says my username on it or something?... do i save it in that folder and how do i get its link?

whats smartFTP?

darn, i m dumb

That is one sweet mod. Great and original idea!!

Hey Wayne, PM me and I'll help you out with your questions.

sandman78 said:
Hey Wayne, PM me and I'll help you out with your questions.
He'll help you out. :D

Why add a fan? Were you having overheating issues?

With the 30GB drive things were fine, but with a 160GB, 7200 rpm, drive things were too warm for my liking. I use an external drive pretty much 24/7, so this was something I needed to fix. This 160GB drive ran so hot that you couldn't even touch the aluminum firewire case I was using. Right now, with the fan at 5 volts, it's maybe 35C. Well worth the effort. Besides, things can never be too cool, pun unintended.

And here are pics of the first "production" case, built for a guy over at 2CPU.com's forums.
rfmfs1.jpg

rfmfs2.jpg

rfmfs3.jpg

rfmfs4.jpg

Drive not included, was being used for testing purposes.

Feet are to be added tomorrow, otherwise the fan is pointless. Speaking of, that's a Panaflo running on 7 volts.

Drive case looks a little warped, but that's because it's aluminum and I had the screws a bit tight. Everything still fits properly, though.

I've got four more of these to do. Not sure if they'll all be USB 2.0 or not, firewire is a possibility as well as a firewire or USB version that uses SATA drives.

looks pretty sweet. so you are selling them? how much (just curious... don't really need one) do they go for?

When you're talking "production model"s, does this mean you're planning on selling tham? I want one... I really do... how much?

I'm making a few for friends, maybe a few for other people. Pirce depends on features desired. A USB version is cheaper than firewire, and a version that can use SATA drives is about $40 more than the plain USB or firewire version. It would also depend where I have to ship. The ones for my friends are starting at $75, so I'd say $75 + shipping for a basic USB 2.0 version.

Excellent, Original, And Baddass.
Old military hardware has a certain "edge" to it, and that meter sure does too. Adding the hard drive to it only makes sense- since now it looks a hundred times better and has a convienient carry handle! Making the meters work did wonders for the mod, too. That way you can say the thing is fully functional, rather than the "just for looks" you see all the time in modding. Nice work, keep it up!

Very cool. I have some of those civil defense cases kicking around, and you're making me soooooo tempted! Bastard :)

Ooh - I could rig up the HDD light to not only operate the meter, but drive a loudspeaker click, so it sounds like a geiger counter. That would be creepy. (And quickly get annoying... so I'd need a volume control as well, which is perfect since there is a knob there waiting to find a use.)

Now I'm even MORE tempted damnit!

Excellent idea, and nice job implementing it. My only criticism is that the LED colour seems out of place. An amber LED or a yellow filter over a white LED would get closer to 1960's incandescent or neon bulbs.

Harlequin said:
Very cool. I have some of those civil defense cases kicking around, and you're making me soooooo tempted! Bastard :)

Ooh - I could rig up the HDD light to not only operate the meter, but drive a loudspeaker click, so it sounds like a geiger counter. That would be creepy. (And quickly get annoying... so I'd need a volume control as well, which is perfect since there is a knob there waiting to find a use.)
Actually, the needle itself makes a clicking sound as it bounces around. Not to mention the drive I used to be running, it made quite the clatter.
Harlequin said:
Now I'm even MORE tempted damnit!

Excellent idea, and nice job implementing it. My only criticism is that the LED colour seems out of place. An amber LED or a yellow filter over a white LED would get closer to 1960's incandescent or neon bulbs.
Considered that, and had a yellow LED hooked up for a while, but I didn't care for it. The face of the meter blocks too much of the light, it was barely visible in daylight.
Passive Anubis said:
Whoa, that is awsome, you could like fit that in a backpack...
The last batch of cases I bought came with shoulder straps, no need for a carrier. :D

And since this was posted I've built a few more for other people, and converted one of my own to use SATA drives. Also in early planning stage on another case design, but I don't know when I'll get that started.

Hehe, still on the clicking line of thought, I was thinking "But it wouldn't sound random like a geiger counter - the bursts would come and go, but they'd sound too ordered".

Then I had brainwave! (Uh-oh,,,)
Fragment the drive! Have all the files scattered across it so seek times are much larger and practically random. The only downside would be that it makes the drive really crappy to use, but let's not split hairs :)

Ok, it's a ridiculously stupid idea, but I have a bunch of crap drives I can munt around with. Anyone know how to deliberately frag up a drive? Some utility that does the opposite of the defragger? (Exactly why such a dumb utility would exist I won't try to guess :)

My other hobby is doing mods to geiger counters, so I've actually put back-lights in these and other meter faces so I can use them in the dark, usually a bank of amber LEDs, but in one case incandescent bulbs, but yeah, those colours are less visible in the day, I think I'd still go that route. I really have to stop talking and thinking about this or I'll end up trying to do one, and I haven't got the time to be starting more projects! :)

Back