The Official Doom 3 Sticky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionNT

[H]ard|Gawd
See system below. Using high settings or any AA at all causes certain scenes to drop in the single digit fps. It seems that this is caused by certain lighting and fog. I am running 1024 x 768, medium detail, no AA for smooth gameplay. The bad part is you can definitely tell a difference from going from high to medium. It looks awesome on high and is usually maxxed out at 60 fps until I encounter one certain areas and it goes to hell, like 3 fps! :confused: When I turn 2x aa on with medium detail it cause it to get choppy like on high detail. My brother who has a similar rig is having the same problems. But one thing is for sure, OMG, multiplayer runs mega fast and is fucking sweet. So, until I find out what the problem is I am stuck running 1024x768, medium, no aa.

EDIT: I figured out the problem finally. I had to disable my 2nd monitor, simple as that. All is good now, high detail with 4xAA at a constant 60fps! WOOT!

Ultra detail with 4xaa runs good too.

Here is one shot on high detail, no aa.
doom3-001.JPG

Here is ULTRA with 4 x AA

doom3-019.JPG

You're proc is oc'd like a damn mofo. John said himself that OC'd hardware would react very differently with Doom3 than everything else do to new processes.

Have you tried running things @ stock speeds?

would you mind posting a screencap of it at 1024x768 w/ everything on medium settings? that's probably how i'm gonna have to run it on my setup:

barton 2500
512 pc3500 hyperx
radeon9800 pro

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
You're proc is oc'd like a damn mofo. John said himself that OC'd hardware would react very differently with Doom3 than everything else do to new processes.

Have you tried running things @ stock speeds?

Yes, I changed my oc on both my cpu and gpu to rule that out. It does it every single time in certain areas, not random at all.

There's no AA in that shot?

From my perspective there is O_O.

Smith said:
There's no AA in that shot?

From my perspective there is O_O.

Good point. Do you have Fullscreen AA enabled int he video card software settings by any chance?

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
Good point. Do you have Fullscreen AA enabled int he video card software settings by any chance?
No, but to tell you the truth I have tried so many different settings so there very well be aa. I didnt think so, but who knows, it was a late one last night. :cool:

It looks like you have 4xAA enabled, that would explain your problems.

Merlin45 said:
It looks like you have 4xAA enabled, that would explain your problems.
Thats NOT my problem. I have it set to app. pref. and am using the settings in doom3 to control the aa. That screenshot is from a video that was choppy because it was set on high detail, I just cant remember if I had AA enabled or not.

hmm... i had the same problem in UT2004 (kinda... lowering detail didn't fix it for me though) singleplayer would stutter or the kb/mouse would lock up and not let me turn.. multiplayer would be fine though... i disabled almost all the caching, and now it seems fine though... dunno if that might help you or not. my initial reaction would be not enough memory, but seeing as you have 2gb... probably not. just out of curiosity, have you tried playing the game with just 1gb? i think windows starts having memory problems with more than 2gb, but having 2gb might cause some problems as well.

of course, my system is like an inverse of yours... ati video (9000 pro :rolleyes: ) amd processor, nforce2 sound/chipset... and only 512mb memory.

good luck anyway.

It has to be a software issue, I have been playing on 1600x1200 on high settings and I'd say the lowest I get is about 30 frames per second. I got the same GPU and your CPU is quite a bit faster than mine. Maybe update your drivers?

If that screenshot has no AA at 1024 res. I am blown away. It looks to me like it has 4xaa at least.

This thread will be the place to post oll of your Doom 3 questions and comments beginning on 8/2/04. Threads started elsewhere will be summarily moved here to join the others, you now have been notified, so no whining when your thread is moved here. :p

OH well, looks like we wont be enjoying the full potential of D3 until the NEXT gen of cards. Sweet screen caps though.

you guys know the command for displaying fps? tried the old cg_drawfps 1 and it didn't work

These shots look anti-aliased to me. Set your control panel option from application preference to OFF and try again.

Long time Hard Reader finally with a problem i need help with...

Just got Doom 3 from Best Buy. Installed it. Tried to play...

CD\DVD Emulation software detected. Please Disable and restart game....

I uninstalled every single thing I have, Nero, Clone CD, Clone DVD, ISO Buster, Alcohol 120%. I rebooted and same error message still. Anyone else run into this and know a fix? Someone suggested I get a No-CD crack, but gamecopyworld and gameburnworld don't have yet. If I figure it out I will post for everyone else. Best of luck to you all.
God praise Best Buy

yea, check caching options in bios and make sure they are disabled. There can be huge differences between different video drivers. You may actually need to try out 3 or 4 different driver sets as some cards or games can be very picky.

Do you have AF set and how much does it impact IQ and FPS?

yet another game on my shit list. i dont care if its made at the hands of god.

Well even when you uninstall things, they usually leave the folder in the program files with the logs and stuff and they also leave stuff in the registry. I bet it is probably detecting one of those things. And I hope you have restarted, those programs are still in memory until you restart.

all new games like this simply blacklist the emultation/copying programs. Uninstall, and detele the program folders. Its actually illegal what they do (blacklisting them), but no one has stood up to them yet....

If there is shit that won't allow doom3 to be run if you have deamon and whatnot installed.............that is very uncool.

The ironic part is that if anyone were pirating the game, they'd have the cracked/nocd exe which would completely ignore those programs. The only peoplep getting caught up in this mess are people who own the retail version of the game.

Great screenshots. Finally some screenshots that isn´t all dark :). Those high detail shots look great :)

this doesnt make sense. It would be a horribly unwise move for id/activision to disallow any burning programs to be installed when doom3 is. There will be tons of legal players that will have nero or something installed on their machine, and to deny their users simple burner functionality would be a very stupid move.

yeah, its like "GOOD JOB AT PREVENTING PIRACY, now i have to go pirate the game to play it at all. fucktards".

oh well.

Well guys I figured it out....

Makes me sad but I got it to run.

My roomates grabbed the ISO's from alt.biniares (the Best Buy in Bloomington IN won't sell to them but the one in Castleton IN would sell to me) and Devience was nice enough to have a no-cd on there. I grabbed it from them and now it runs flawlessly. Please don't let this turn you off from the game. The first few minutes of it have blown every other game I have ever played right out of the water. Go get it and play ASAP!

All glory to the Hipnotoad
Drk Myrlin

I have been playing just great at 1280x1024 very high quality and 4xAA. I got a 6800gt o/c to 427/1110 but my cpu is a slow 2.4ghz p4. Don't know how to check fps, but i haven't had a single chop since playing. Although personally I'm not very impressed with the game.

CyberCRAP said:
I have been playing just great at 1280x1024 very high quality and 4xAA. I got a 6800gt o/c to 427/1110 but my cpu is a slow 2.4ghz p4. Don't know how to check fps, but i haven't had a single chop since playing. Although personally I'm not very impressed with the game.
What drivers are you using? Do you also have Directx 9.0c?

omega-x said:
yeah, its like "GOOD JOB AT PREVENTING PIRACY, now i have to go pirate the game to play it at all. fucktards".

oh well.

not really. cracked .exe s are availble out there... that's not pirating. won't tell you where though.

I really really hate this form of 'copy protection'. It's worse than even those ads at the movies that beg you to stop pirating. They sure enjoy preaching to the choir.

So let me get this right..

Not only do we need to crack pirated games we now need to crack games we buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back