What brand 6800... quick!

ProJecT_X

Gawd
Whats up,

Looking to upgrade my video card for the arrival of doom3 but what brand to get. I can get a PNY 6800 normal at frys for 299.99 or a eVGA 6800 normal at microcenter for 299.99 which would you go with a why? or wait and get a GT/Ultra?

ProJecT_X said:
Whats up,

Looking to upgrade my video card for the arrival of doom3 but what brand to get. I can get a PNY 6800 normal at frys for 299.99 or a eVGA 6800 normal at microcenter for 299.99 which would you go with a why? or wait and get a GT/Ultra?

well if you can get another 100 dollars get the GT or Ultra

now if you can see if you can find a BFG 6800OC
same price there oced stock outa box and also have a lifetime warrenty

If it's down to those 2....definately go with the eVGA and then save up another $100 and trade it in for a GT with the "Step up" program.

err, you have to buy from tigerdirect for the "step up" program biotches!

oh well to microcenter i go i guess damn a GT sounds so much better on my new 3 gig box...

ProJecT_X said:
err, you have to buy from tigerdirect for the "step up" program biotches!

oh well to microcenter i go i guess damn a GT sounds so much better on my new 3 gig box...
What are you talking about? www.evga.com

go for the eVGA.
but i really wouldnt go for the BFG unless you are going to upgrade the cooling, because it has a fairly small cooler that dosnt cover the ram.
but if you are gonna watercool or get one of those new vga silencers for it, then BFG would be the best, due to overclockability and warrenty.

yea, you might as well grab the evga 6800 on newegg for $280, free shipping.

280 + 30 tax = 310 and i gotta wait or go in store like i just did and get it for 320 right now :D far cry is bad ass at 1600x1200 mwuahaha

thanks all

im thinkin bout getitng a leadtek one.......the fan is just so massive....are they going to make those for awhile or are they a "special edition" and theres only gonna be a set number???.....

V0ltage said:
go for the eVGA.
but i really wouldnt go for the BFG unless you are going to upgrade the cooling, because it has a fairly small cooler that dosnt cover the ram.
but if you are gonna watercool or get one of those new vga silencers for it, then BFG would be the best, due to overclockability and warrenty.
Wow...so much misinformation in this thread. :eek: The BFG and eVGA are currently using the same hsf which is the Nvidia reference design.

When buying the regular 6800, carefully note stock clock speeds and mem speeds, because some are very different. I've seen clock speeds range from 325-400, and mem from 700-800. Also note the quality of the hsf. Currently I think the gainward and the leadtek have the best non-reference coolers.

One irregularity you might want to check on is that the XFX 6800 says it uses GDDR3, which, if true, probably means its memory would oc very well (it also runs at a clock speed of 400).

ehZn said:
When buying the regular 6800, carefully note stock clock speeds and mem speeds, because some are very different. I've seen clock speeds range from 325-400, and mem from 700-800. Also note the quality of the hsf. Currently I think the gainward and the leadtek have the best non-reference coolers.

One irregularity you might want to check on is that the XFX 6800 says it uses GDDR3, which, if true, probably means its memory would oc very well (it also runs at a clock speed of 400).
Is that true about the XFX? If so that would make it a GT with 12 pipes (and the possibility of unlocking 4 more ;) )

ehZn said:

Had the post written up and hit back on the browser... Curses, bear with me. :eek:

Are you quoting all of this info from the product descriptions on NewEgg's site? I mention it because I noticed the same info while shopping earlier but I think it's really a NewEgg typo rather than actual differences in the standard 6800 cards. When I entered both Gainward and XFX's site I could find no mention of their higher-clocked 6800s, and you must admit 400 sounds absurdly high for a non-Ultra 6800 (that's like 75 over core spec speed).

I couldn't find any mention of XFX's supposed GDDR3 use (according to the listed NewEgg product info), one would think if they had this advantage over practically every other 6800nu card in the market they'd be boldly advertising it... As far as I know BFG's 6800 OC is the only card shipping at slightly than hire core spec speed (only 25 over spec). :confused:

On the count of the HSFs I do agree as that's easy to spot on the product photos provided at both NewEgg and the manufacturer sites. Here's some relevant links to peruse:

XFX's GF 6800 model:
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT40KND

Gainward's site:
http://www.gainward.com

BFG's site:
http://www.bfgtech.com

Edit: Upon further reading I did find a mention of GDDR3 on the above link to XFX's site but it says "Support for the world's fastest GDDR3 memory delivers fluid blah blah..." in a blurb that looks as if it was copied from an Nvidia PR technical document rather than being the actual product's specs, can't really tell but I'm pretty dubious.

Edit #2: The suspicious 400 MHz rating may have come from someone hastily copying numbers without reading what they were off the site data sheets, such as the RAMDAC ratings, just a guess really.

Upon looking at the sites, 325/700 are the standard core/mem clocks for the 6800. That being said, very few of the cards I have seen stick to it. I couldn't find any info on Gainward's site, the BGF 6800OC is at 350, the XFX site is hard to trust considering it says the 128mb version has 256mb of DDR right on the specifications and has no core or mem info.

You can also look at manufacturer specifications linked through Newegg. The Chaintech runs at 358/770, the eVGA and Leadtek both run at stock speeds.

It is very possible they got confused with the RAMDAC's, but without more reviews and cards in hand, there is no way to confirm or reject any of this information. :rolleyes:

*edit: this site says xfx is a standard stock speed version http://www.microlandtechnology.com/products.asp?partno=VC0001

i'd go for the BFG 6800 OC if you only wanna spend $300, but they don't come out until Aug. 15th. But , i'd try to get the extra $100 and get a BFG 6800 GT OC, cuz it has the 256mb of memory, the games coming out are requiring more and more video memory, and even to play Doom3 on ultra quality, you're suppposed to have a 512mb card, so, the 128mb cards are becoming obselete.

I miss the days when video cards scaled all the way from $150 to $450... :( If someone doesn't wants to spend $400 on a video card at the moment, but they're willing to spend more than $200... The options are quite limited.

You can get a plain jane GF 6800, but it's crippled by having 12 pipe lines and only available in 128 MB configurations as far as I've seen. You can spend slightly less and get a 9800 Pro, maybe even with 256 MB (tho you'll be paying almost as much, upwards of $265, not really a better investment towards the future).

I'd be happy if the GF 6800s had their full 16 pixel pipe lines and/or were available with 256 MB... I miss the GF4 Ti 4400 and my GF2 GTS!! Hey at 'least the Radeon series lasted a couple years while supporting almost all the newer features within games/APIs... for those that invested heavily in them when they first came out I guess. Looks like it's a better option these days than buying a middle-of-the-road vid card every couple months.

Back