CypHill

Gawd
A friend of mine has the following system:

AMD XP 2100+ (266fsb)
512mb PC2100
7200rpm 8mb cache HD (dunno size)
Radeon 9700 Pro
Windows XP SP1

He's getting some terrible frames... and needs to drop it down to 640x480 and LOW quality to get decent frames.. he notices that when lighting is introduced, the game lags like hell. This shouldn't run this slow on his system.. are they any command lines he can run to take off any special lighting instructions?

Well.. his system is on the low end... so I am not so sure about that. I would say that he should still be able to pull decent frames with the game at 800x600 low - medium detail... Has he formatted, or even defragged lately?? That could really help with the performance.

PC-HAngover said:
Well.. his system is on the low end... so I am not so sure about that. I would say that he should still be able to pull decent frames with the game at 800x600 low - medium detail... Has he formatted, or even defragged lately?? That could really help with the performance.

Ya I'm thinking defrag as well.. but he has a fairly new install of everything so I don't think it'd be that fragged.

I ran D3 on low detail and 800x600 and the framerate wasn't unplayable. That setup should definitely be adequate.

Update chipset drivers for your motherboard and update your video drivers yet?

CypHill said:
good suggestion.. :rolleyes:

Here's a suggestion. How about posting in one of the 5,324 already established Doom 3 threads? What? Are we going to create a new thread for every possible system config just to ask if it works?
rofl.gif

Like this one!

PerfectCr said:
Here's a suggestion. How about posting in one of the 5,324 already established Doom 3 threads? What? Are we going to create a new thread for every possible system config just to ask if it works?
rofl.gif

Like this one!

I've read it.. that's why I'm wondering why it's not running so well on his system.

By the way.. if you're so fed up with these posts, DONT CLICK ON THEM. Omg.. what a concept.. .what a thought.

I'm getting some very so-so framerates with 640x860, medium detail. Had to bump it down to low... Don't know what the problem is, shouldn't be this bad.

Specs:
XP 2400+ OC'd to 2.1ghz (how does that translate into + terms, anyway?)
512 mb pc2700 and 3200 (two 256mb sticks)
Radeon 9800SE, OC'd to 425mhz (core) / 351mhz (mem)

Anyone want to help?

edit: defragging now... we'll see if that does anything

close all programs and make sure you dont have any spyware or anything, that stuff really slows games down.

MemoryInAGarden said:
Is the 9800SE modded?
Nope :( The four locked pipes can't be utilized without major artificats... unless there has been some recent breakthrough in soft/hard modding.

Ya this is weird.. it shouldn't run this bad.

I have another friend with basically the same system as my old one (read my sig).. although he has a 9600XT.

We can't really say how well it runs because he's having a problem with his mobo ever since a previous cpu burned up on it. Now it's causing some sort of stuttering. However when the stutters go away it seems like it runs smooth.

Regulus said:
I'm getting some very so-so framerates with 640x860, medium detail. Had to bump it down to low... Don't know what the problem is, shouldn't be this bad.

Specs:
XP 2400+ OC'd to 2.1ghz (how does that translate into + terms, anyway?)
512 mb pc2700 and 3200 (two 256mb sticks)
Radeon 9800SE, OC'd to 425mhz (core) / 351mhz (mem)

Anyone want to help?

edit: defragging now... we'll see if that does anything

if you read the information about doom3 that [H] has up, or maybe it was a post a little while back... john stated that OC'ing your computer will cause problems within doom3 because it uses parts of your processor and vpu that haven't been used much until now, and it will cause problems running through the calculations, etc... get rid of the OC and try it.

and I think thats an OC up to either 2800+ or 3000+, not sure

Before looking to the HDD as the culprit here....while your "friend" is lagging in doom3 does his hard drive show a lot of activity?

I would guess what's hurting him here is his CPU and PC2100 memory more than his HDD or video card.

Also, turn off all unnecessary apps and services to free up resources for the game.

blankoboy said:
Before looking to the HDD as the culprit here....while your "friend" is lagging in doom3 does his hard drive show a lot of activity?

I would guess what's hurting him here is his CPU and PC2100 memory more than his HDD or video card.

I'm not sure.. friend is in NY.

The other friend (one with comp like my old one) always shows HD activity..

both peeps complaining about slowdowns are using ATI hardware,maybe try different drivers ??

Manny Calavera said:
both peeps complaining about slowdowns are using ATI hardware,maybe try different drivers ??

Nah.. friend in NY (with AMX XP 2100+ and Radeon 9700 Pro) has the bad frames problem.

The other friend has a mobo issue he needs to iron out before claiming good/bad experience with Doom3.

I dont think ATI FAN BOYz will be able to enjoy this game as much as we nVIDIA holders will :)

Not a "fan boy".. just a fan of who-ever is leader in the Gen of video cards... and it looks like nVidia will be the new leader in this new Gen.

What kinds of resolutions/FPS have you 6800GT guys been getting?(stock or OC)

Im aware that HardOCP has the whole DOOM3 article, but I want to see some results from the actual gaming community.

edit: im not trying to hijack this thread, I just dont want to be flamed for starting another DOOM3 thread.

Back