Do you like the Doom3 flashlight/weapon limitation

No weapon mounted flashlight in Doom 3

• I don't like the idea

Votes: 134 36.6%
  • I like it because it makes the game more scary/challenging/etc.

Votes: 164 44.8%
  • I haven't played it yet and don't know what to think

Votes: 68 18.6%

• Total voters

shaocaholica

Limp Gawd
Its pretty well known by now from all the advanced copies of D3 that you cannot use your gun and the flashlight at the same time. From reading others comments on gameplay and seeing a few videos, it seem that the thing to do is:

-Use flashlight to find monsters in dark areas
-Switch to weapon and shoot in the dark

What bothers me is that the concept of having a flashlight mounted on a weapon is as common as headlights on cars. Not to mention a ton of good FPSs use this concept(Halo, Farcry, HL...). I don't mind if id had the intention of making the game more challenging or scary but this move is just illogical. You don't make a racing game more challenging by having all night races with no head lights.

I haven't got my pre order of D3 yet so I haven't played this first hand but the concept itself and seeing the videos leaves me a bit disappointed. Perhaps this will be resolved in a simple mod for whiny bastard like me.

Whats your take?

I think it adds a lot to the gameplay. Plus, it fits with the storyline. He doesn't have any kind of headlamp or anything. Remember, he's improvising here. Nobody was prepared for all of this to happen, so it's just a normal flashlight that you find laying around, essentially.

CatsGoMoo said:
I think it adds a lot to the gameplay. Plus, it fits with the storyline. He doesn't have any kind of headlamp or anything. Remember, he's improvising here. Nobody was prepared for all of this to happen, so it's just a normal flashlight that you find laying around, essentially.
Most military weapons use flashlights now days and this is way way into the future. You'd think they would have weapons with them built in. Plus you could use a pistol and flashlight at the same time. Also you could duct tape it. And its not like there isn't a ton of equipment just laying around on mars including helmets with headlamps. You'd figure that if darkness was a big problem you'd work pretty hard to fix it.

shaocaholica said:
Most military weapons use flashlights now days and this is way way into the future. You'd think they would have weapons with them built in. Plus you could use a pistol and flashlight at the same time. Also you could duct tape it. And its not like there isn't a ton of equipment just laying around on mars including helmets with headlamps. You'd figure that if darkness was a big problem you'd work pretty hard to fix it.

While I agree with you, I also like it when I have the crap scared outta me by a imp who leaps at me with a fireball in its hand because I had my shotgun out.

I don't really like it. In areas where it is totally dark and have enemies who shot and duck and cover, it is a real pain in the ass. It is ok but it makes the game harder. If they did not have the quick switch up, I would really hate it. I like on Riddick how it is mounted on the gun.

Love the idea. And for all modern weapons having flashlights... There not standard. You have to specially order and equip it. When a marine gets his Colt or M16 it doesn't come with the flashlight and scope... he must request it and install it himself. As for duck taping it... it would fly off as soon as he shot from either the recoil or the heat of the barrel melting the tape... Hell with the size of the flashlight, it probably would add alot of weight to the end of the barrel.

But anyway, I like the idea. Adds alot of fear to the game because your path isn't constantly lit and you have to sometimes guess where the enemy will move in heated fire fights. Or you can run up and wack them with the light. ^_^

|MaguS| said:
Love the idea. And for all modern weapons having flashlights... There not standard. You have to specially order and equip it. When a marine gets his Colt or M16 it doesn't come with the flashlight and scope... he must request it and install it himself. As for duck taping it... it would fly off as soon as he shot from either the recoil or the heat of the barrel melting the tape... Hell with the size of the flashlight, it probably would add alot of weight to the end of the barrel.

But anyway, I like the idea. Adds alot of fear to the game because your path isn't constantly lit and you have to sometimes guess where the enemy will move in heated fire fights. Or you can run up and wack them with the light. ^_^
M16s don't come with magazines either. Whats your point? If a marine had to operate in the dark, a weapon mounted light is pretty much top priority. You could easily duct tape a flashlight to a M16 handguard and it would stay on there good enough to do its job. The fact that the Mars facility has all this military equipment from the future and our hero can't get his hands on a single weapon mounted flashlight is just odd.

shaocaholica said:

Duct tape it? That will happen... I've shot compeditively for almost 8 years now. Theres no way you could aim with a mag-lite duct taped to the side of your pistol or shotgun. However, it is quite easy to shoot a pistol while holding a flashlight (place the flashlight in your left hand and rest your right hand on your wrist while in the weaver stance). I think it was more of a gameplay issue that id made than a realism issue.

Please guys, dont turn into the Official Counter-Strike forum: "Omgz!!!! T3h colt isnt realistic enough because the recoil is 4.9049472342% off from the bullet coming out of the guN!!!"

So when you go and buy a BFG, does it have a flashlight on it? It's a game that's not real, and never will be. I haven't seen it yet, but if that's how the game is, what will starting a thread change about it?

NotChunks said:
Duct tape it? That will happen... I've shot compeditively for almost 8 years now. Theres no way you could aim with a mag-lite duct taped to the side of your pistol or shotgun. However, it is quite easy to shoot a pistol while holding a flashlight (place the flashlight in your left hand and rest your right hand on your wrist while in the weaver stance). I think it was more of a gameplay issue that id made than a realism issue.
Firstly, I don't see how it would be hard to aim with a duct taped flashlight. It wont be the most comfortable but its a hell of a lot better than shooting in the dark.

My point is that the flashlight limitation is more annoying than scary. If you like it as a gameplay aspect then say so but don't say its realistic because its not.

NotChunks said:
Please guys, dont turn into the Official Counter-Strike forum: "Omgz!!!! T3h colt isnt realistic enough because the recoil is 4.9049472342% off from the bullet coming out of the guN!!!"
I think the flashlight issue is a big gameplay issue.

sandmanx said:
So when you go and buy a BFG, does it have a flashlight on it? It's a game that's not real, and never will be. I haven't seen it yet, but if that's how the game is, what will starting a thread change about it?
I just wanted to know what people thought about it. Theres different aspects to realism and you cant treat them all the same.

lol :p

I haven't played the game yet, but I definitely think that you should be able to use the flashlight and a gun at the same time. I also think they should give you batteries for it. I think that would be kind of cool to be running around in the dark and your flashlight starts getting dim. Then it starts flickering on and off before eventually going off for good. Not like every 15 minutes or so, but maybe once or twice through the whole game.

gb25 said:
I haven't played the game yet, but I definitely think that you should be able to use the flashlight and a gun at the same time. I also think they should give you batteries for it. I think that would be kind of cool to be running around in the dark and your flashlight starts getting dim. Then it starts flickering on and off before eventually going off for good. Not like every 15 minutes or so, but maybe once or twice through the whole game.

That would be a good way to plan scripted events.

Wondering through a dark hallway with your trusted flash light and the light fades away, leaving you in pitch dark with sounds all around you @_@.

Thermal or low light would have been lovely.

I bound the flashlight to right-click. It makes it much easier to light and then swap to a weapon. Normally being the shotgun. A well placed shotgun blast puts just about every body in a world of hurt.

shaocaholica said:
M16s don't come with magazines either. Whats your point? If a marine had to operate in the dark, a weapon mounted light is pretty much top priority. You could easily duct tape a flashlight to a M16 handguard and it would stay on there good enough to do its job. The fact that the Mars facility has all this military equipment from the future and our hero can't get his hands on a single weapon mounted flashlight is just odd.

No way would I use a flashlight if I was fire fighting in the dark. I would get out my NVG's and fix them to my Kevlar. Nothing like a flashlight to give the enemy your exact position.

But back to the topic at hand. I haven't played the game, but I never have used the flashlight in most games that included them unless it is totaly dark. Is Doom3 totaly dark?

Wondernerd said:

I bound the flashlight to right-click. It makes it much easier to light and then swap to a weapon. Normally being the shotgun. A well placed shotgun blast puts just about every body in a world of hurt.
It might not be as bad bound to right mouse but do any of the weapons have alt-fire?

Your all being way to critical for a game that was made to scare the shit out of you - it has accomplished its goal; leave the "logics" out of this plz.

Ancient said:
Your all being way to critical for a game that was made to scare the shit out of you - it has accomplished its goal; leave the "logics" out of this plz.
If you leave the logic out and keep the scare then you might as well prance through mars base unarmed in a mini dress.

Take the game for wat it is and leave "omfg no flash light and gun at the same time!?!? please make it easier for me" out of it - damn pansies

Ancient said:
Take the game for wat it is and leave "omfg no flash light and gun at the same time!?!? please make it easier for me" out of it - damn pansies
Its not about the game being too hard. Theres other ways to make the game scarier and harder than putting this limitation on the flashlight.

Ancient said:
But they made it scarier by doing so - so argument nulled.
They made it scarier and more annoying at the same time. My point is that there are better ways to the same ends. It would be scarier if they didn't give you any weapons but you also have to think about what other elements you're taking away from the game by doing so.

it's not like you are running around with your gun when you dont need it, I always use the flashlight except when i encounter an enemy then i swap, so i dont see how it would be any more scary to have the flashlight mounted on the gun.

in total darkness it sucks without a light mounted weapon since the enemy dont have a problem aiming at you

shaocaholica said:
Firstly, I don't see how it would be hard to aim with a duct taped flashlight. It wont be the most comfortable but its a hell of a lot better than shooting in the dark.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but:

Besides the wieght there are many, many problems with putting a flashlight onto a handgun without proper mounts. The most logical place to put it (assuming we are talking about a small flashlight) would be infront of the trigger gaurd mounted to the bottom like a normal mounted flashlight or laser would be. The problem is that there are moving parts and ventalation holes on the gun where you would have to wrap the duct tape to hold the flashlight, not to mention it would probably ruin the sight picture.

But in relation to Doom 3 it is just a gameplay issue, so arguing about the real life aspects are a moot point. Obviously the game isnt meant to be 100% realistic (they have zombies and it is set on Mars) but the flashlight duct tape issue is not really that important either since arguing on a thread wont change the game.

If the game is too scary don't play it. This feature adds to the atmosphere greatly and removing it would alter gameplay in a bad way.

NotChunks said:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but:

Besides the wieght there are many, many problems with putting a flashlight onto a handgun without proper mounts. The most logical place to put it (assuming we are talking about a small flashlight) would be infront of the trigger gaurd mounted to the bottom like a normal mounted flashlight or laser would be. The problem is that there are moving parts and ventalation holes on the gun where you would have to wrap the duct tape to hold the flashlight, not to mention it would probably ruin the sight picture.

But in relation to Doom 3 it is just a gameplay issue, so arguing about the real life aspects are a moot point. Obviously the game isnt meant to be 100% realistic (they have zombies and it is set on Mars) but the flashlight duct tape issue is not really that important either since arguing on a thread wont change the game.
I wasn't talking about taping a flashlight to a pistol. You and I already pointed out that you can operate a handgun and flashlight with 2 hands. I was talking about taping it to a rifle/shotgun. Im not saying that the game should have this feature but I was hoping for at least some sort of integrated or modular light device. I also don't think that you can throw out all realism just because the game has zombies. My point is that weapons with no lighting devices don't fit into the high tech setting of this game. Its also a huge gameplay issue that doesn't have anything to support it other than it makes the game scarier and more annoying for some.

Wondernerd said:

mmm... shotgun...

Anyone who complains is just scared, and wants an easy way out. :D

What's the point of having accurate bullet holes on the enemy models if you can't even see them when you're shooting :/

If they simply had the flashlight battery have a short lifespan and the ability to recharge, and use it at the same time with (some?) weapons, i think it would have offered more variation to the gameplay. Requiring swapping constantly between flashlight and weapons is pretty clumsy gameplay.

Or instead of duct taping it to the gun, you could always duct tape it to yourself...or hold it in your mouth if there is no duct tape...

I get pissed off because the zombies are professional olympic marksmen. I dont think one has yet to miss me. They seem to take multiple clips to take down too, I can see the ammo bounce off their armor.

Im running out of ammo :(

:edit - just picked up the plasma rifle, should be good for awhile

Back