DOOM 3 Config Tweak

That seems like a pretty nice tweak, hope it doesn't degrade anything else. I will try when I get home today.

Rel1c said:
That seems like a pretty nice tweak, hope it doesn't degrade anything else. I will try when I get home today.

i wanted to join just to yell..

WHAT IS IT GOING TO DEGRADE?

jesus if it runs smooth its NOT hurting anything. its not overwriting windows files, its not filling up your cache, its...its just making the game work better! if you have the slow-windows-after-quitting problem, i think you can amuse yourself for 5 minutes until garbage collection kicks in

is there any way known yet to decrease the load times? it takes a good 20 seconds to load, or maybe i'm just impatient. also, how do i get it to show my fps?

WTF?! it works... mine was set at 20 for some reason, so i bumped it up to 128, and saw about 25% improvement in performance... so decided to bump it up to 256, and i have almost a 100% improvement in the game. I went from average 30fps to 50fps... in fire fights 10fps to 20fps.

I'm running 3200+ with 1gig ram, 9800Pro 128, and playing at 1920x1200.

EDITED: Well, after further testing, i've concluded that it doesn't do anything for me... not at 128, or 256. The performance gain i had was from where i left off last night, and i guess the area i'm in atm just isn't as hard on my system... i've had tested this multiple times now, since i was pretty stoked earlier, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Rel1c said:

No it does not. All Quake Engine games had the same option, but it was called com_hunkmegs. Basically you are increasing the amount of system ram available to the game engine. I'd recommend this setting for those who have 1 gig of ram or more. Maybe set it to 96 if you have 512MB. For a Gig I'd go to 128 or 256.

I hear that enabling triple buffering for OpenGL also helps performance on ATI cards at least... something to consider.

Ok this is either such an awesome tweak, but it boggles my mind that we would need to tweak this ourselves, or this is limiting the quality level. Because even on a 9800Pro 128mb, i can set it to Ultra Quality at 1280x1024, and get consistent 40fps.

I need to head out right now, but when i get back, i'll play with the various settings and compare them with screenshots, but i'm just a little skeptical now.... it just seems TOO good to be true.

Why would id not optimize this variable better if the performance gain is so huge? They know that there are tons of gamers out there with 512/1GB.

iD: Muahaha, all the countless teenagers tweaking their configurations... not knowing the hell it lets lose...

iD: Amazing things will be happening soon...

mine was defaulted at 20, i set it up to 256, i will see what i can gain from doing this. be back in a few

From what i can see this only works when you enable the seta image_cache "0" above it. Ive tried numerous settings and the game just crashes on startup.

p4 3.3 ghz
x800xt
1gig dual channel ddr 3200

=/

Did nothing here. timedmoe numbers stay exactly the same.

Setting seta image_cache to 1 also crashes the game here

Barton2500+/Radeon9700/1gig ram

Lets see some more timedemo tests. I wonder what those other people are experiencing if anything at all?

Dont forget, the time demo doesnt use the AI at all, and that could be where alot of the Memory usage is coming from. Try it in real game play, not demos.

Do your config edits stay? When I add r_displayRefresh "75" and save changes, DoomIII runs the first time I open it at 75hz. Then after I quit, my config edit is magically gone and DoomIII runs at 60hz the next time I run it unless I edit each time.

eh, just edit the files properties, and set it to read only, after you have made all the changes you need.

I sent an email to Kyle asking him to ask ID about this "tweak". We will see what happens :).

Try it myself with:

2000+ o/c to 2200+ (143fsb)
9600pro
768MB
M-Audio Revo
[edit] Omega 4.7's, stock on 9600pro

Settings at 800x600 high

Timdemos:
Stock - 27.7
96 - 29.2
256 - 29.6

Did a quick play thru with a couple AI in it, no noticeable fps increase or decrease on the counter, tho I have a small feeling that its a bit smoother

I also have a 1800+/GF3/512SD box that I could try it on, if anyone wants that

[edit] also enabling the other setting results in a crash before menu for me

[edit edit] with my usual o/c on my 9600pro at 517/330 (stock is 400/300), i get 30.7fps for both 20 and 256....odd

Man, I just had to format.....bummer.....as soon as I've got my rig back "up and running" I'll be giving this a shot for sure. I run the game at 1280x1024 High Detail with my sig system (stock everything, not oc'ed).....althought there are some parts with the flashlight where it dips to 20fps.....for the most part the game plays VERY nice. I cant wait to see how much this helps.....I'll try raising it to a few different points to give results seeing as I have 1GB of ram. Then I'll get to see how much it helps out with my 6800GT in a little while. ;)

heh, my roommate had to format right after he got it installed. He had an endless reboot before the login screen. That and he was overheating CPU temp 65C idle! Cleaning it out yield a more comfortable 45C. Also he had like grape smelling dirt/dust (I kid u not) in his HSF. Truly, that was a true WTF moment in computing.

From what I can remember, lower settings compress images, which means a big cache won't help much. I'm guessing that this will benifit you if you run med/high settings and have a slow memory bus. I can't say that changing mine from 20 to 256 helped much (on Medium), but then again I was also d/l'ing from binaries with Xnews open at the same time...not something that I usually do while playing D3. I don't have time to test out High setting because I'm almost late for work :mad:

Atm my specs are a 1700+ @ 200x8.5, 1GB Mushkin lvl2, 9800p @ 400/350, all on an NF7-S, so I'm probably right in the middle of the benifit zone. FYI before/after I tried D3 I looked at my task manager - both with 20 and 256 it leaves a 350mb dent in my system cache memory. I guess the short of this tweak is that if you need it badly, chances are it will help.

edit: running Omega 2.5.51 drivers

Three D. Marks said:
Do your config edits stay? When I add r_displayRefresh "75" and save changes, DoomIII runs the first time I open it at 75hz. Then after I quit, my config edit is magically gone and DoomIII runs at 60hz the next time I run it unless I edit each time.

I think it was in teh Doom3 hardware guide or somewhere, but ID wanted to cap D3 at 60hz... They took the better route of changing the config upon exit, not entry.

no change in my time demo frames/sec....still at 29.2 first run through....then 35.2 second and subsequent timedemos....

ATI 9800Np
P4 3.0C (stock)
1024MB

That tweak kicks ass. I've been running at 1280 x 1024 in High quality setting with AA and AF disabled in control panel. Now with cachemegs set to 512, I can run 4x aa and 8x af and still get silky smooth gameplay. In fact I have yet to see my ingame frame rate dip below 31fps and that was in a 4 player deathmatch server :)

changed it to 96 on mine , i was playin on 800x600 high .. now im able to play 1024x768 high :) smoothly

P4 3.0 w h/t
512mb ddr 400 ram
mobility radeon 9700 64mb :)

HiProfile said:
From what I can remember, lower settings compress images, which means a big cache won't help much. I'm guessing that this will benifit you if you run med/high settings and have a slow memory bus. I can't say that changing mine from 20 to 256 helped much (on Medium), but then again I was also d/l'ing from binaries with Xnews open at the same time...not something that I usually do while playing D3. I don't have time to test out High setting because I'm almost late for work :mad:

Atm my specs are a 1700+ @ 200x8.5, 1GB Mushkin lvl2, 9800p @ 400/350, all on an NF7-S, so I'm probably right in the middle of the benifit zone. FYI before/after I tried D3 I looked at my task manager - both with 20 and 256 it leaves a 350mb dent in my system cache memory. I guess the short of this tweak is that if you need it badly, chances are it will help.

edit: running Omega 2.5.51 drivers

Good guess. I'm gonna try it out here in a sec. Running 1024x768 high quality right now.

I just turned mine up from 20 to 128 and I have a gone from running Doom II at 640x480 on medium to 1280x1024 on high with about the same latendy(only a little, not enough to complain about). On my original settings I was gett around 28 - 31 FPS now I'm getting around 25.5 - 29 depending on how many enemies are shooting at me. This trick friggin works.

FYI: I'm talking in game, not timedemo, although I did use the demo to test it to see whether or not to even try a setting.

Worked for me.

Just a hint to you folks who say nothing's happening (although I don't know anything for sure this is what worked for me).

If you have a graphics card with low ram (i.e. anything with 128 mb) AND you're currently playing it on medium quality. You shouldn't see a difference BUT, you should be able to up the quality to high (after this tweak) and not get any major performance hit.

If you have a graphics card with 256 mb plus you should able to charge in with ultra quality.

Aside from quality settings (if this is the same tweak as for the quake 3 engine) you shouldn't be getting any extra fps (since this tweak isn't making your GPU any faster).

Those who are reporting "higher" framerates were probably running one quality setting above what they were supposed to anyway and thus aren't really getting more performance out of their GPU, but not taking the performance hit of having to swap out textures at higher IQ levels.

In theory this should do wonders for the GeForce 6800 non-ultra. LMK what you guys find out.

*edit

Oh yeah, this should also let you play at higher resolutions with the same framerates as you had at lower resolutions... note I say the "same" framerates, not better:p At the lower resolutions/IQ levels you won't see any gain because memory isn't a limiting factor.

Well, after further testing, i've concluded that it doesn't do anything for me... not at 128, or 256. The performance gain i had was from where i left off last night, and i guess the area i'm in atm just isn't as hard on my system... i've had tested this multiple times now, since i was pretty stoked earlier, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

i just noticed this setting in the .cfg file...

seta g_nightmare "0"

i'm guessing this enables nightmare difficulty?

I just upped it again to 256 and I'm running the game at 1024x768 on high settings. I'm now getting well over 30 FPS and it runs like melted butter. It looks absolutely awsome.

Back