Widescreen 1920x1200 Ultra Mode Doom 3 Screenshots (Dial-Up Beware)

CookiePuss

Limp Gawd
First of all, if anyone wants to know how to run WideScreen this is how you will want to do it for Doom3/Quake3 or any Quake3 engine based game.

1. Open up the config file for the appropriate game. For Doom 3 its DoomConfig.cfg and for Quake 3 its q3config.cfg. Use a text editor like wordpad to open it.
  2. Edit line seta r_mode to show value of -1. seta r_mode "-1"
  3. Edit line seta r_customWidth to show value of width. I use seta r_customWidth "1280"
  4. Edit line seta r_customHeight. I use seta r_customHeight "800"
  5. Last thing, when you load up the game, hit ` and Ctrl and Alt at the same time to bring up the console menu, then type g_fov 120 (but you can use any value to make it look right to you). I would suggest 100-130, just try some and see how it looks. The higher the value, the more of the area you will see. You will have to type this everytime the game is loaded because it looks like ID doesnt allow this command to be saved in the config anymore. Its sort of gives one person an advantage during multiplayer as he can see more than a person with non widescreen.

Here are some pics for the people with widescreen monitors.
This first shot is in normal 90 FOV the rest are in 120.
wsdoom.jpg

wsdoom2.jpg

wsdoom3.jpg

wsdoom4.jpg

wsdoom5.jpg

wsdoom6.jpg

wsdoom7.jpg

wsdoom.8jpg

wsdoom9.jpg

wsdoom10.jpg

wsdoom11.jpg

.......... .................. Can I get a new pair of undies please ?

Dead lord...I cannot wait until tomorrow when I go out and get my copy of D3, I'm so tired of replaying the beta levels over and over again with buggy textures and code... :D

*Extremely-Jealous*

t0x1k said:
The game still looks like crap at ultra settings.

We warned teenage mothers what the consequances of kicking their babies in the head would be but did they listen...NOOOOOOOOOOO...they were too busy kicking their babies in the head.

Freaking awesome on the FOV tweak! I've been playing at 1920x1200, and i was wondering why the hell the FOV looks exactly the same as it does at 1600x1200.

t0x1k said:
The game still looks like crap at ultra settings.
Also remember, i had to compress the images from 7 meg files to 300k jpg's. Im sure a good amount of loss occured from the compression. I could post the 7 meg files, but i dont want my server to have a stroke..haha :)

the only problem with this is that the g_fov command seems to increase the vertical as well as the horizontal, so you see more above and below you too.

we need a variable that will allow for 16:9 ratio monitors and screens to be able to see more left and right, but keep the vertical the same.

no true widescreen support.

not good :(

pez

yea, the image is only stretched as far as I can tell. you're not really getting widescreen here??? :confused:

yeah if it was true widescreen, then you wouldnt need to adjust the fov, thats just a little trick.

but, if it was stretching, wouldnt the cross hair be oval, protruding from the sides? and not circular like in the screen shots... except in the first shot using 90 fov.

The Batman said:
We warned teenage mothers what the consequances of kicking their babies in the head would be but did they listen...NOOOOOOOOOOO...they were too busy kicking their babies in the head.

Dude almost every post you make just has me cracking up...

Cookie - Thanks for the post. I'm doing something similar, since I have a Sony 17" Widescreen LCD I run at 1280 x 768. I'm using a 9500 128MB non-pro with cracked drivers and Radeonator to run the card similar to a 9700 Pro. But @ 1280 x 768, I'm only getting about 27 - 28 fps doing a timedemo demo1 benchmark, and that means combat scenes are nearly impossible to see. :(

On the bright side, your field of view command is new to me, and I look forward to trying that soon. Just hoping to get ATI's 4.9 beta catalyst driver in a cracked form. Maybe that will increase my speeds up to 40 fps, and make combat bareable. ;)

120 degrees field of view seems to make those shots look a bit fish-eyed. It's usually 90 degrees for 4:3 ratio games and I usually stick it up to 110 degrees on 16:10 ratios.

Which screen are you using for that? I only just got the new Apple Cinema HD 23" with the 16ms response time last week and omgzors I'm SO loving 1920x1200 gaming.

MERKMAN said:
Cookie - Thanks for the post. I'm doing something similar, since I have a Sony 17" Widescreen LCD I run at 1280 x 768. I'm using a 9500 128MB non-pro with cracked drivers and Radeonator to run the card similar to a 9700 Pro. But @ 1280 x 768, I'm only getting about 27 - 28 fps doing a timedemo demo1 benchmark, and that means combat scenes are nearly impossible to see. :(

On the bright side, your field of view command is new to me, and I look forward to trying that soon. Just hoping to get ATI's 4.9 beta catalyst driver in a cracked form. Maybe that will increase my speeds up to 40 fps, and make combat bareable. ;)

no problem :) does your lcd have a stretch to screen feature? maybe you can try finding the next resolution down and just have the screen stretch it to full screen. might be smoother without looking all that much different. But that 1280x768 res is different.. close to 16/10 but not quite.hehe.

Finkus said:
120 degrees field of view seems to make those shots look a bit fish-eyed. It's usually 90 degrees for 4:3 ratio games and I usually stick it up to 110 degrees on 16:10 ratios.

Which screen are you using for that? I only just got the new Apple Cinema HD 23" with the 16ms response time last week and omgzors I'm SO loving 1920x1200 gaming.

Nice! I have 1 L2335 and 1 F2304, both 1920x1200 16ms too. Well and one in my case..lol
12small.jpg

1680x1050 is the next common 16:10 down from 1920x1200 isn't it? That looks like around the same amount of pixels overall as 1600x1200 which most people seem to run well.

Cookie - The Sony does have a "wide mode" button. Either showing the screen in Full mode, or Normal mode. I run it in FULL mode when in 1280 x 768 with the windows desktop, or everything is scrunched and aweful looking.

Earlier today, I tried running Doom 3 using 800 x 480, or 1000 x 600 modes... but in neither case the the picture fill the ENTIRE screen. The first left room on the bottom, and the second left room on the bottom and a smidge on the side. In both cases, I had Fullscreen still equal to 1, so I figured it should be working... but it didn't.

I then installed Powerstrip hoping I could find some desktop resolutions for my monitor that might help. But the ONLY widescreen resolution that shows up is 1280 x 768, which I believe is the monitor maximun. And I didn't know how to go about creating custom resolutions like those I mentioned above to try them on my desktop. So I uninstalled Powerstrip again and have been going without.

Unfortunately my Sony doesn't have the extra resolutions of a Mac display, etc. But I do love my LCD and just hope I can figure out some way to get Doom 3 running at a decent framerate without having black bars on the sides of my video.

Thanks for your reply and assistance!

MERKMAN said:
Cookie - The Sony does have a "wide mode" button. Either showing the screen in Full mode, or Normal mode. I run it in FULL mode when in 1280 x 768 with the windows desktop, or everything is scrunched and aweful looking.

Earlier today, I tried running Doom 3 using 800 x 480, or 1000 x 600 modes... but in neither case the the picture fill the ENTIRE screen. The first left room on the bottom, and the second left room on the bottom and a smidge on the side. In both cases, I had Fullscreen still equal to 1, so I figured it should be working... but it didn't.

I then installed Powerstrip hoping I could find some desktop resolutions for my monitor that might help. But the ONLY widescreen resolution that shows up is 1280 x 768, which I believe is the monitor maximun. And I didn't know how to go about creating custom resolutions like those I mentioned above to try them on my desktop. So I uninstalled Powerstrip again and have been going without.

Unfortunately my Sony doesn't have the extra resolutions of a Mac display, etc. But I do love my LCD and just hope I can figure out some way to get Doom 3 running at a decent framerate without having black bars on the sides of my video.

Thanks for your reply and assistance!

Allrighty, lets see. If for full screen you are doing 1280x768 your screen ration is 1280/768=1.6666666666666666666666666666667.

So lets say the next step down is 1152 (which a horizontal resolution that doom 3 supports) divided by 1.6666666666666666666666666666667 you get a vertical resolution of 691.2.

So you might wanna try a custom res of 1152x691 and see how that works out. Should full screen for ya hopefully.

But with that formula, you should be able to go lower or higher if needed.

I just tried using the settings mentioned in the beginning of the post and unless i set the resolution to the full resolution of my display (1920x1200) it only fills up part of the screen vertically. In other words, lets say it put in the 1280 x 800 res, it only fills 800 pixels of te screen vertically, from the top down. I can actually see my desktop on the unfilled portion of the screen

I too have the new Apple cinema HD display, but my Radeon 9700 Pro and Athlon 2800 MP rig doesn't want to play DOOM smoothly at 1920 x 1200. A smaller res would be nice, but what to do about this anomoly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

atomo said:
I just tried using the settings mentioned in the beginning of the post and unless i set the resolution to the full resolution of my display (1920x1200) it only fills up part of the screen vertically. In other words, lets say it put in the 1280 x 800 res, it only fills 800 pixels of te screen vertically, from the top down. I can actually see my desktop on the unfilled portion of the screen

I too have the new Apple cinema HD display, but my Radeon 9700 Pro and Athlon 2800 MP rig doesn't want to play DOOM smoothly at 1920 x 1200. A smaller res would be nice, but what to do about this anomoly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
You have one? Those are so sweet. Any pics of your setup?

Krycek1 said:
You have one? Those are so sweet. Any pics of your setup?

I thought those things were supposed to be too slow to play games on?

eXzite said:
I thought those things were supposed to be too slow to play games on?

The new ones(they match the new G5 look) are supposed to have a pixel response time of 16ms accross the board. After using it with Far Cry, Doom3, and Vice City I fully support their claims. I will say it isn't flawless though. There is an occasional hiccup every so often, like a buffer couldn't catch up or something. No ghosting though. I'll try and post a pic here soon. It is a beautiful piece of equipment. Apple really makes some sweet stuff.

atomo said:
Here it is, my little workstation...
desk.jpg

very cool! i like that giant gummi bear, lol... awwww gummiiiii

atomo said:

Hmm, what drivers are you using? Im also using fill to screen with that res and it seems to work fine. Sometimes for some reason, the screen doesnt want to fill to screen, thats the only lil problem that i have.

CookiePuss said:
very cool! i like that giant gummi bear, lol... awwww gummiiiii

Hmm, what drivers are you using? Im also using fill to screen with that res and it seems to work fine. Sometimes for some reason, the screen doesnt want to fill to screen, thats the only lil problem that i have.

I've installed the Beta 4.9 Cats. I didn't try it before I installed those, so maybe thats the problem. What is the Fill to screen thing? Is that a Doom 3 setting or a driver setting?

screenshot was 1920x1200, high quality 4x aa, no fov changes.
converted this to a decent quality jpeg, is 330k instead of 7meg now.

ss6.jpg

question for you.

You are playing "widescreen"

Does the game actually adjust to a 16:9 aspect ratio? Or does it just stretch the image to fill the resolution that you specify?

If it just stretches the image then thats a bit pointless no? It will just make everything look out of proportion (ie shorter and fatter), its like people who watch normal TV/movies on a widescreen TV but dont let it go at 4:3 ratio they insist on stretching it to 16:9 making it look total crap. Whereas if it actually does go to a 16:9 aspect ratio then i can see the point of this.

It is not true widescreen (16:9) you are just stretching the image's width, looks stretched and horrid.

Vundu said:
It is not true widescreen (16:9) you are just stretching the image's width, looks stretched and horrid.

my thoughts exactly, thought i had better check before i said anything tho.

CookiePuss said:
First of all, if anyone wants to know how to run WideScreen this is how you will want to do it for Doom3/Quake3 or any Quake3 engine based game.

1. Open up the config file for the appropriate game. For Doom 3 its DoomConfig.cfg and for Quake 3 its q3config.cfg. Use a text editor like wordpad to open it.
  2. Edit line seta r_mode to show value of -1. seta r_mode "-1"
  3. Edit line seta r_customWidth to show value of width. I use seta r_customWidth "1280"
  4. Edit line seta r_customHeight. I use seta r_customHeight "800"
  5. Last thing, when you load up the game, hit ` and Ctrl and Alt at the same time to bring up the console menu, then type g_fov 120 (but you can use any value to make it look right to you). I would suggest 100-130, just try some and see how it looks. The higher the value, the more of the area you will see. You will have to type this everytime the game is loaded because it looks like ID doesnt allow this command to be saved in the config anymore. Its sort of gives one person an advantage during multiplayer as he can see more than a person with non widescreen.

If you create an 'autoexec.cfg' file in the same folder as the config.cfg file you should be able to make and keep custom changes there that remain permanent. The config.cfg file seems to get overwritten or re-written on exit and some custom changes stripped out of it. For instance I put the line:

set com_allowConsole "1"

in there so that I can get to the console just by the ~ key and not control-alt-spacebar-thingy-key-shift-*-scroll lock-F4 or whatever the stupid default is.

More info can be found here:

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

Ravenrex said:
If you create an 'autoexec.cfg' file in the same folder as the config.cfg file you should be able to make and keep custom changes there that remain permanent. The config.cfg file seems to get overwritten or re-written on exit and some custom changes stripped out of it. For instance I put the line:

set com_allowConsole "1"

in there so that I can get to the console just by the ~ key and not control-alt-spacebar-thingy-key-shift-*-scroll lock-F4 or whatever the stupid default is.

More info can be found here:

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

Awesome tip! Will try that now.

It sure does not looked stretched on my notebook (which is widescreen). My notebook is native 1280x800. I have an Inspiron 9100, 2.8 ghz prescott, 1gb ram, and 64mb mobility 9700.

I'm sure getting different performance when in widescreen mode:
43.5 fps 800x600 MED noAA/noAF (at HIGH I get 40 fps)
28.5 fps 1024x768 MED noAA/noAF
22 fps 1280x800 MED noAA/noAF (I can get it up to 33 fps if I turn off shadows).

When I run Doom 3 on my notebook at 800x600 and 1024x768 it stretches the image to fit the screen. I believe that this is not the case when at 1280x800. I will do some screen shots when I get home this evening.

Back