Play doom on 98se

phatmatt

[H]ard|Gawd
DOOM3 and Windows 98SE

For those die hard Windows 98SE users like me, if you want to run DOOM3 on this operating system, follow the instructions below.

1-Download and install FS Hex Editor. http://www.searchandreplace.com/fshexedit.htm

2-Back up the original DOOM3.EXE file (safety measure)
-Go in your DOOM3 folder; default is :\Program Files\Doom 3
-Create a folder called: BACKUP
-Copy your DOOM3.EXE file in your newly created BACKUP folder.

3-Modify the original DOOM3.EXE file
-Right-click on the original DOOM3.EXE file and remove the read-only attribute.
-Start FS Hex Editor and open your original DOOM3.EXE file.
-Use the search fonction and find: GlobalMemoryStatusEx
-The string should now be highlighted.
-Your screen is divided in 2 sections; left and right.
-The left side is in Hexadecimal format and right side is in Text format.
-Go on the left side and change the last 2 hex number from: 45 78 to 00 00
*Above are zero's NOT the letter O.
-Save the file.
-Start the game.

I've played for about 20 minutes, loading previous games, running the included benchmark (timedemo demo1.demo) etc...and everything seems fine.

You forgot a step:

-Save the file.
-Install XP.
-Start the game.

:p

[RIP]Zeus said:
why is it so hard to upgrade to xp?
win98se SUCKS compared to xp

That's your opinion. Not everyone feels that way. I, for one, hate XP with a passion, I continue to use it though because of program and hardware compatability problems. If Win 98 SE still ran without a flaw, it'd be my main O/S.

One reason might be that XP is a pretty penny! Not everyone has piles of money to throw away, or is a one eyed, three tooth, butt sniffing, digital software PIRATE! ARRRGGG me matties! :p

Cheers,

Eigtball said:
One reason might be that XP is a pretty penny! Not everyone has piles of money to throw away, or is a one eyed, three tooth, butt sniffing, digital software PIRATE! ARRRGGG me matties! :p

Cheers,

LOL!
who said i was a pirate?
lol
hehehehhehe
oh i didn't pay for it either my company did =]
it's great being the IT administrator

RS3RS said:
That's your opinion. Not everyone feels that way. I, for one, hate XP with a passion, I continue to use it though because of program and hardware compatability problems. If Win 98 SE still ran without a flaw, it'd be my main O/S.

Umm... okay? That's like saying if WindowsXP ran without a flaw, it'd replace UNIX and Linux on servers. Windows has flaws, that's the whole point of why they make new ones every so often. If an OS was perfect, they wouldn't make new ones.

Really, I am still kicking myself for waiting so long to upgrade to Win2000. W98 is just plain bad. Here is a cheap option and legal. By an OEM version of Win2000 all you have to do to get the OEM version is buy a $5 mouse with it. For the record I would use 2000 over XP anyday.

Eigtball said:

Cheers,
It's less than two video games! You can pick up Windows XP Home Edition for under $100.

yes, but teh home edition blows moar teh goats than teh pr0(n) edition...

phatmatt ~ TYVM :)

(i regged here just to thank you)

dont mind these flamers ~ Win98se is a great OS if you know the right tweaks ;) (the 1024mb of ram tweaks)
these flamers dont know WTF they are talking about cause they never ran Win9x correctly (or recently).

keep up the excellent win9x support!

:cool:

LOL!

well its nice to know some ppl still help insted of flame out of ignorance.

BTW: i was dual booting w98/w2K just to play D3 :D

yeah, i'd definitely suggest upgrading to at least win2k. i used to be a hardcore 98se fan too, because i liked how stripped down it was and i knew where everything was. but with 2000 it's just like 98 except a gazillion times more stable.

I find it funny that someone reg's here for the first time and then calls everyone flammers thats funny. But nice guide for those people still on 98. I use XP but at least they have a option now.

phatmatt said:
DOOM3 and Windows 98SE

For those die hard Windows 98SE users like me, if you want to run DOOM3 on this operating system, follow the instructions below.

1-Download and install FS Hex Editor. http://www.searchandreplace.com/fshexedit.htm

2-Back up the original DOOM3.EXE file (safety measure)
-Go in your DOOM3 folder; default is :\Program Files\Doom 3
-Create a folder called: BACKUP
-Copy your DOOM3.EXE file in your newly created BACKUP folder.

3-Modify the original DOOM3.EXE file
-Right-click on the original DOOM3.EXE file and remove the read-only attribute.
-Start FS Hex Editor and open your original DOOM3.EXE file.
-Use the search fonction and find: GlobalMemoryStatusEx
-The string should now be highlighted.
-Your screen is divided in 2 sections; left and right.
-The left side is in Hexadecimal format and right side is in Text format.
-Go on the left side and change the last 2 hex number from: 45 78 to 00 00
*Above are zero's NOT the letter O.
-Save the file.
-Start the game.

I've played for about 20 minutes, loading previous games, running the included benchmark (timedemo demo1.demo) etc...and everything seems fine.

Very nice find. I'm using XP, so not applicable, but just wanted to give you some credit, which seems to be in short supply in this thread.

Lowbatt said:
I find it funny that someone reg's here for the first time and then calls everyone flammers thats funny. But nice guide for those people still on 98. I use XP but at least they have a option now.

Well their acting like flamers and deserve that comment, 98 might of seemed bad but properly configed its still a decent OS, now ME on the other hand you can forget about it worst OS ever made :rolleyes:

Lowbatt said:

actually i was originally regged here in 1999, but i havent re-regged since the last forum "wipe".

the win9x flamers are in every forums threads that asks about D3 and win9x. its ignorant, and sad :(

thx again for the great work phatmatt! :D

Back