Good DVD buring program?

Raines8416

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I just ordered parts to build my mother's friend a new computer. Well she wanted a DVD burner and idiot me ordered an OEM one. Which works for me since I can just "free" stuff, but I dont want any non-legit stuff on her computer. So does anyknow now any really nice free/cheap CD/DVD burning progs?

If she is going to be "backing up" her DVDs, then I would recommend:
DVD SHRINK--> www.dvdshrink.com It's basically one of the best DVD backup programs out there and it's 100% FREE.

Now if you ordered her a DVD Burner that is capable of burning Dual Layers, then I would also recommend DVD DECRYPTER ---> www.dvddecrypter.com and it is also 100% FREE

Those two programs, like I said, are for "backing up" DVDs. If she is going to want to make DVD movies with video from a Digital Camcorder, or simply wants to burn various files to DVD, then I would highly recommend NERO.

You can also find out more information at----> http://www.cdfreaks.com/
It's a great site and their forum is loaded with information and links.

Good Luck

Nero blows. It does a crap job for data discs, and even worse for movies.

Stick with something like RecordNow

If you are planning on burning movies though, definitely go with the advice above and use DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink (or DVD2ONE)

I use dvd decryp and dvd shrink+nero, nero does an excellent job, been using it since the days of nero 4.x;)

Vile said:
Nero blows. It does a crap job for data discs, and even worse for movies.

It's done great by me, though I think the user interface is, uh, goofy.

What does it not do right, specifically?

.B ekiM

mikeblas said:
It's done great by me, though I think the user interface is, uh, goofy.

What does it not do right, specifically?

.B ekiM

The program is badly designed in general. I've been backing up my DVDs for years using numerous methods (dvdxcopy, dvdshrink, dvd2one, Big 3, etc) and each time I Nero was used to burn a dvd (with the vobs in a VIDEO_TS folder as normal) it would result in a corrupt or bad quality movie. When following the exact same procedure but using an alternate program to burn (such as Primo DVD, Clone DVD, RecordNow) they worked great. I'm not the only one that's had issues such as this either.

Personally, I've never had troubles with Nero. I made tests discs on both DVD+R and DVD-R using a video I made myself to see just how well each works in all the players I had access to trying to test the liklihood that anything I produce (planning to move old VHS home videos to DVD for better archiving) can be viewed on a maximum number of players. I never saw any strangeness even in a super-picky player that wouldn't let me use video CD if it was on a CDR instead of a CD-ROM disc (originally I planned to use video cds, but compatibility was too low.) In fact, a DVD+RW seemed to work in most of the players, also burned with Nero.

My only guess is that Nero is not 100% fully compatible with all DVD burning hardware. Then again, maybe the others have problems too, just with more rare hardware.

That said, I hear good things about CloneDVD. I think it's made for making copies though, so it may not be much use when one needs to produce something more or less from scratch. Also, perhaps by now Alcohol has support for DVDs. That particular software prides itself on accuracy, so if they do DVDs, I would expect them to at least be tolerable. I've never heard of RecordNow before, so I won't comment on it.

I've also never had a problem with Nero. I've been using Nero to burn CDs for years... and now recently with my Pioneer A07 DVD burner.

I burn CD data and audio, DVD movies I edit from DV camcorders, and backup movies from DVD Shrink.

Nero is great... I guess that's why it's been downloaded millions of times... and included in many retail CD/DVD burners. :)

Back