Flashlight mod + extras

shaocaholica

Limp Gawd
UPDATED 8/9

I made some movies of the Flashlight mod/Hardmod. Enjoy.

Low Quality Xvid (10MB)

High Quality Xvid (20MB)

See changes below.

Added flashlight to pistol, machinegun, shotgun and chaingun only. The rest of the weapons do not have flashlights. You cannot turn the lights on and off. If you want no light, just swtich to fists or one of the super weapons.

I also changed some other variables that other people brought up.

Changes:

Overall features:
- Lights on bullet weapons; pistol, shotgun, machinegun, chaingun
- All weapons have interruptable loads, for quick switching if ambushed
- Added a different flashlight decal for weapons

Pistol:
- Small light where its pointing
- Semi-auto fire rate: Hold down button, shoots once, click as fast as you can, fires that fast
- Swap between current weapon, to pistol, and back: hit pistol to pull out, hit again to go back
- Slight spread added
- Clip size now 16
- Cannot gib enemies
- Slightly increased damage
- Slightly knocks enemies back

Shotgun:
- Medium-sized light at pointing
- Tighter shot spread, went from 22 degrees to 6 degrees
- Forced 1 shotshell reload per reload animation (default is 2)
- Increased number of shot per shotshell from 13 to 16
- Decreased damage per shot (each hit)
- Throws enemies back, when dead they fly pretty far :)

Machinegun
- Medium flashlight
- Increased rate of fire from 10hz to 16hz
- Bullets now visible; very fast obviously
- Pelts enemies backwards

Chaingun
- Slightly larger than medium flashlight
- Increased rate of fire from 7hz to 14hz(why was the chaingun so damn slow)
- Increased magazine capacity from 60 to 120. +100%
- Edited GUI to show 3 digits correctly (Fixed low ammo warning not turning off after reload)
- Decreased the damage per bullet

Plasmagun (no flashlight)
- Doubled projectile velocity
- Increased magazine capacity from 50 to 60. +20%
- Turned on lighting effects for projectiles (default was off)

WHO WORKED ON THIS MOD:
- Tsumari: ([email protected]): Reload interruptions, pistol swapping
- Kronchev ([email protected]): Tracers, pistol work, light adjustments, "realism", readme file, consolidating all work
- shaocaholica: Initial lighting, plasmagun mods, increased capacity, decreased damage on Chaingun, increased fire rates on Machinegun + Chaingun

Screens:

flashlight_mg.jpg

supershotgun1.jpg

supershotgun2.jpg

Shotgun Spread

defaultspread.jpg

tightspread.jpg

Just unzip pak005.pk4 into your doom3/base dir. If you have a previous flashlightmod
named pak005.pk4, just overwrite the file.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sjzhang/files/Hardmod0.3a.zip

Heres a mod with just the weapon changes but no flashlight. No documentation with this one yet.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sjzhang/files/weaponsmod_0.1.zip

good idea, and awesome mods are coming out... but playing with flashlights built it will take away from the atmosphere of the game... The whole base of the game is to play in the darkness and have the poo scared out of you, using this mod will just insure you are indeed a sissy :cool:

oh..my...god.. thank you so much! This is freaking awesome! Doom3 isnt just dark, its TOO dark all of the time. There needs to be a mod to intensify the lights. Maybe double their output?

MrWoot said:
good idea, and awesome mods are coming out... but playing with flashlights built it will take away from the atmosphere of the game... The whole base of the game is to play in the darkness and have the poo scared out of you, using this mod will just insure you are indeed a sissy :cool:
Yeah I agree. I'll probably try that mod out after I beat the game. I actually like only being able to use one at a time, I don't mind hitting the "F" key to switch between the light and the weapon when I play, keeps it kind of creepy. I can't wait to see all the other mods coming out, not to mention the awesome maps this game will let you create. I'm so glad I bought this game.

Lets not turn this into a "you're a sissy" thread. Theres already another thread for that. I just want people to enjoy the game. Thats why I mentioned you should up the difficulty to compensate. Some people find the flashlight limitation more annoying than challenging. Of course this mod will change the gameplay drastically. Im not forching people to use it.

in the 3rd screenshot when the zombi is walking toward you....what gun is that....

thank you very much, very well done. i'm going to mod your work and make the light the weapons give off weaker, make the shotgun less powerful (i'm gibbing at close range, not cool) and maybe spread a little more, make the pistol actual semi-auto (hold down button it fires the one click then nothing, but fires as fast as you can hit the mouse button), I dont like SOMETHING about the way the machine gun fires but i'm not sure, also I think Ill remove the light on the chain gun, seems a little too much there.

again, great job :)

kronchev said:
thank you very much, very well done. i'm going to mod your work and make the light the weapons give off weaker, make the shotgun less powerful (i'm gibbing at close range, not cool) and maybe spread a little more, make the pistol actual semi-auto (hold down button it fires the one click then nothing, but fires as fast as you can hit the mouse button), I dont like SOMETHING about the way the machine gun fires but i'm not sure, also I think Ill remove the light on the chain gun, seems a little too much there.

again, great job :)
The shotgun should be gibbing at close range. :confused:

Perhaps you want it to knock them down without gibbing? The damage difference between those two states is pretty small. I guess it would balance it out a bit.

fiddling with all of this must have been quite a feat... but I really think they made things the way they did for a reason... personally I think you are SUPPOSED to have trouble killing things... not calling anyone a sissy, but being dark is what makes the game scary...

neat stuff here, but I won't be using it... just my 2 cents...

Munka said:
fiddling with all of this must have been quite a feat... but I really think they made things the way they did for a reason... personally I think you are SUPPOSED to have trouble killing things... not calling anyone a sissy, but being dark is what makes the game scary...

neat stuff here, but I won't be using it... just my 2 cents...

not to be a dick but no, its really not that hard :D i used to program this stuff for quake, it uses very very similar code. thats why im kind of mad that he beat me to it, i wanted to do this first but no one was telling me how to decompress the PAK files (even though it turned out to be really easy)

shaocaholica said:
The shotgun should be gibbing at close range. :confused:

Perhaps you want it to knock them down without gibbing? The damage difference between those two states is pretty small. I guess it would balance it out a bit.

i want it to be like doom 1's shotgun....if you were anything but in their face it took two hits to take them down, but you could run into a room of imps and if you would run at them, fire, run back, run at them, fire, you could take them all down with 1 shell an imp. or you could stay your distance and just fire repeatidly into the crowd and damage them all little by little till they nearly all died at once

kronchev said:
i want it to be like doom 1's shotgun....if you were anything but in their face it took two hits to take them down, but you could run into a room of imps and if you would run at them, fire, run back, run at them, fire, you could take them all down with 1 shell an imp. or you could stay your distance and just fire repeatidly into the crowd and damage them all little by little till they nearly all died at once
That can be done but it wont be realistic. You would have to decrease the spread to about 12-16 (original is 22). Increase the number of shot per shotshell and decrease the damage per shot. That way, you get good coverage without making it super powerful.

I got a bit frustrated for a moment last night when a zombie was racing around pounding me with a shotgun and it was so dark that I could only see him with the flash light. I switched to a weapon of course but by then he'd moved. I'm trying to dodge at the same time which didn't help my aim.

I'll definately be trying out this mod. The flashlight only illuminates a very small area so I think this will increase my enjoyment factor.

Will try this out tonight- thanks man

shaocaholica said:
That can be done but it wont be realistic. You would have to decrease the spread to about 12-16 (original is 22). Increase the number of shot per shotshell and decrease the damage per shot. That way, you get good coverage without making it super powerful.

i'm at work right now so the best I can do is edit and make guesses. I get off a little earlier since its friday so I got that going for me, but thanks for giving me a base to work on

Does the flashlight still turn off and on? Or is it on all the time you have the weapon out because that would be equally as annoying.

the@ntipop said:
Does the flashlight still turn off and on? Or is it on all the time you have the weapon out because that would be equally as annoying.

on all the time

im working at it. cant do a whole lot of modding at work with the 8 files from the mod though

the@ntipop said:
Switch to fists, no light there.

shaocaholica said:
Switch to fists, no light there.

lame dude ;)

i'll make an impulse command turn off lights. then just bind a key to it (probabily F) to toggle light on or off

right now I think I figured out how to make the gun actual semi auto; fires as fast as you can click, but does nothing if you hold the button down. my beta design only fires when you release it though :rolleyes: might have a fix for that

People are you using this, could you please play through some levels and see it it causes any anomalies? Im at work and I can't test this thing much.

shaocaholica said:
People are you using this, could you please play through some levels and see it it causes any anomalies? Im at work and I can't test this thing much.

i didnt notice anything huge except that the shotgun seemed overpowered and the light made things really unfair, at least as bright as it was. the normal flashlight is good cause its offcenter so it only kind of helps. i am going to make the light on the weapons darker, and look into using a different spot that the same one as the flashlight

hmm... could you perhaps post a script to add the light to the plasma gun? you don't have to include it in a mod or anything. i changed the definition, but i'm not sure what parts of the script file have been changed to add the flashlight (given that there are no comments in the file like the handy ones in the defs).

and i'm at work, so i can't look at other files for reference.

thanks

I'll add comments to my future versions. I still don't know what exactly Im doing exactly, I just wanted to get something working yesterday and I did :cool:

I think it would be fun to tweak the plasma gun so that the muzzle flash lighting shader is much more intense and the projectiles cast their own light too.

kronchev said:
i didnt notice anything huge except that the shotgun seemed overpowered and the light made things really unfair, at least as bright as it was. the normal flashlight is good cause its offcenter so it only kind of helps. i am going to make the light on the weapons darker, and look into using a different spot that the same one as the flashlight
When you find out which variables that control the light intensity, size and color you let me know. I think they are all in the def file but I haven't played with them yet.

shaocaholica said:
I'll add comments to my future versions. I still don't know what exactly Im doing exactly, I just wanted to get something working yesterday and I did :cool:

I think it would be fun to tweak the plasma gun so that the muzzle flash lighting shader is much more intense and the projectiles cast their own light too.

so i'm thinking you just added the 3 things:

1) declare updateLightIntensity();
2) define updateLightIntensity();
3) implement updateLightIntensity();

if that's the case i can hack it in myself, so don't worry about what i asked earlier.

i like what you're thinking for the plasma gun. are there files available from either the CD or the gam dir, because if so i can take a look at it tonight and maybe do some work on it.

regards,

Steel Chicken said:
for us modding noobs what do you need to pack/unpack those pk4 files?

winzip of a program called pkunzip (i think, but don't exactly recall)

a pk4 file is a zip file, renamed

milling_hordesman said:
winzip of a program called pkunzip (i think, but don't exactly recall)

a pk4 file is a zip file, renamed

AHHH it works, awesome and easy too
thanks

kronchev said:
lame dude ;)

i'll make an impulse command turn off lights. then just bind a key to it (probabily F) to toggle light on or off

the answer probably lies right in here:

Code:
void weapon_flashlight::ToggleOnOff() {
	float waitTime;

playAnim( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, "reload" );
	waitTime = sys.getTime() + 0.2;
	while( sys.getTime() < waitTime ) {
		updateLightIntensity();
		waitFrame();
	}

on = !on;
	UpdateSkin();
	flashlight( on );

while( !animDone( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, FLASHLIGHT_RELOAD_TO_IDLE ) ) {
		updateLightIntensity();
		waitFrame();
	}
	weaponState( "Idle", FLASHLIGHT_RELOAD_TO_IDLE );
}

I can't see any other files yet, of course, but the answer might be to make a new method for each flashlighted weapon, each of which just toggles the flashilight:

Code:
on = !on
UpdateSkin();
flashlight (on);
updateLightIntensity();

as for the intensity part, yeah, i'm sure you'll find it in the def file. i'll go home for lunch and bring my files to work. because i love working at work ;)

we need some sort of basic how-to for mods.
i havenot found anything yet for doom3 on google.

i can see how the modded pak files override whats in the stock game...but cant seem to find the unmodded source in any of the stock pack files...i see sound files and images, and .dds files (whatever they are)

is there a basic modding faq somewhere? would an existing FAQ for say quake 3 be applicable for basics?

ah cool ive figured it out. you just find the right file you want to override, and put in a pak file with your changes....easy!!!

Daemia said:
The shotgun light doesnt work for me. :(
Which file did you download? If you just got the shotgun mod, there is no light.

Edit: I just added a link for a shotgun mod with the light just in case thats all you wanted.

Awesome mod, bro. How hard was it to go in and change these things in the code? I wish some of this stuff was easier to do, like in cs and a few other games I've played. Small tweaks can eliminate a lot of frustration and fix small problems with the games.

milling_hordesman said:
the answer probably lies right in here:

Code:
void weapon_flashlight::ToggleOnOff() {
	float waitTime;

playAnim( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, "reload" );
	waitTime = sys.getTime() + 0.2;
	while( sys.getTime() < waitTime ) {
		updateLightIntensity();
		waitFrame();
	}

on = !on;
	UpdateSkin();
	flashlight( on );

while( !animDone( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, FLASHLIGHT_RELOAD_TO_IDLE ) ) {
		updateLightIntensity();
		waitFrame();
	}
	weaponState( "Idle", FLASHLIGHT_RELOAD_TO_IDLE );
}

I can't see any other files yet, of course, but the answer might be to make a new method for each flashlighted weapon, each of which just toggles the flashilight:

Code:
on = !on
UpdateSkin();
flashlight (on);
updateLightIntensity();

as for the intensity part, yeah, i'm sure you'll find it in the def file. i'll go home for lunch and bring my files to work. because i love working at work ;)

the OnOff only is accessed when theres an impulse binded to call it and i need to figure out how D3 does it. in quake it was just definied in a file as far as I remember (its been a looong time heh). I tried to change the light it uses, no luck. I tried to make it so that it only fires once when you hold down the button, ended up stopping the pistol from doing anything (including changing weapons). blah.

GOT IT!

so far I've only tweaked the pistol, but heres what I added

* REAL semi-auto: fires as fast as you can click, but holding the button just fires once and then does nothing
* Light made smaller; still good to see what youre shooting at, but not good for navigation, and doesnt spoil the atmosphere.
* Slight spread added for a little more realsim (had none at all); still very accurate

http://www.spatula-city.us/upload/upload_files/pak006.pk4

If you dont have the other mod rename it to pak005.pk4 or it might not work (i dont really know heh)

so... do this:

bind "impulse666" "ToggleOnOff()"
bind "F" "impulse666"

wouldn't that just go ahead and bind f to call ToggleOnOff() on whatever weapon was out, or something? actually, i suppose it might all it on all weapons and only register on the one that's out or something? ah, heck, i dunno. after i've done some more work i'll get down to working on it...

EDIT:
kronchev said:
* Light made smaller; still good to see what youre shooting at, but not good for navigation, and doesnt spoil the atmosphere.

If you dont have the other mod rename it to pak005.pk4 or it might not work (i dont really know heh)

i don't think the idea was to make the light smaller so much as it was to make the light less intense? well, i suppose that'd work just fine, too.

kronchev said:
GOT IT!

so far I've only tweaked the pistol, but heres what I added

* REAL semi-auto: fires as fast as you can click, but holding the button just fires once and then does nothing
* Slight spread added for a little more realsim (had none at all); still very accurate

So this link is the whole mod? Or just the changes? I love that you changed the pistol...that slow firing sucks. Can someone see if this works without installing the original mod and just the renamed one posted above?

Back