MY sony 19" 12 ms

Aerobahn

Limp Gawd
Condition
I recieved it in a nice box. There are only 2 small thin peiceses of cardboard keeping it safe from UPS mans crushing foot powa. At first i thought i had 10 dead pixels. But then i dusted the monitor and i have none :D. If you buy please see if the dead pixel can move when you touch it the xbright coating can fool you. I have no screen door issues or lighting and pixel problems I give the condition of the monitor a perfect 10.

Brightness
4 hot modes for brightness with its own button. LOW MEDIUM HIGH, and USER. Perfect 10 for brightness.

Color
The model diplays 16.2 million and my 710T displays 16.8. I can see no difference in color quality. Maybe its the Xbright coating? maybe im blind? Also know that you should calibarte the sony for best possible color.

Pixel pitch
.294 pixel pitch If you like a monitor with small text you need not apply. I can say im fond of .294 after using it. looking at still photos it seems to display them almost as good as the 710t. but the samsung wins due to better pixle pitch/more colors. But lets say the sony has a laymans perfect color. Pixel pitch is more of an opinion from my point of view, and most 19" LCDs with a 1280 X 1024 come with .294.

Ghosting
None.
I play UT2k4 and sof2 with my clan.

Resolution 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz

My 710t Made me throw up at the SMALL blurriness of ut2k4. I dont see any with the sony. I cant see any ghosting in splintercell pandora tomorrow, RTS look great DOOM3 runs nice with 0 and i mean 0 blur. Playing with the halflife beta i see ZERO blur. I assume it doesnt blur like my 710t because of the color 16.2 vs 16.8. I can see a difference and the sony is better for games IN MY OPINION becuase of the less bluring factor. It also maintaines the same color quality as the 710T in games. IF the sony beats ANYTHING vs the 710T its in games. Color is the same but as for ghosting SONY > SAMSUNG. Th only game i could get to blur was in WC3. I turn up the scroll speed to the max and scroll around like a mad man then yes i can see bluring. but none in Ut2k4 and sof2 and I play these games all day long.

Swivle and tilting
I can move it in any direction with my Pinky. But it cannot rotate. For example I cannot make the monitor from a 1280x1024 to a 1024x1280 by rotating it. I wish it could tilt back a little further.

Reflectiveness

NONE/ TO VERY LITTLE. it will only reflect if the monitor is off. That is when its pure black and with a very bright light source on it. When playing doom3 I cannot see my reflection. Reflection is NOT an issue.

These pics are horrible I know sorry had to use a phone camera ; ;.

DSC00665.JPG

DSC00681.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

DSC00706.JPG

DSC00684.JPG

Scores

Gaming - 10
CAD/Images - 8
Sufing - 10

PROs

No ghosting
Awesome Color.
Minor reflection.
Bright.
Great for working in a high lit enviorment with xbright coating.

Cons
Refresh rate stuck at 60hz ( so far cant find a way around it)
Limited tilting and swivle.

thanks for the review. im very interested in this model too, just the black version. i noticed sonystyle has it in stock now. good to hear about the ghosting, im getting pretty sick of my dell 1901fp. ill wait for your pictures first though to check it out more before i order.

Hello!

Could you please comment of the coating on the display. Tomshardware reviewed a 17" SONY and found the screen was reflective like a mirror.

Is this monitor the same?

I just picked up one of these HS94P monitors today. It's not like a mirror at all, and I have my overhead light on and it's shining pretty good on the monitor. If the monitor was off, and at the right angle under a heavy light then you might see the mirrior effect.

could you guys post some screen images, and pictures of the display sitting on your desks? I would greatly appreciate it!

Aerobahn - what is the difference in the coating between the sony and the 710t. Is one shinier than the other?

I just took some pics of my HS94P that I got today. One turned off, and one with my XP background showing.

Of course the pics don't do the monitor justice.

sony1.jpg

sony2.jpg

Is there anyone out there that uses this monitor with graphic design? Such as photoshop. I was wondering if the color gradients show a noticeable diffrence between 16.2mil and 16.7mil colors.

Also, to the people who have also used the Samsung 710T (which i currently own), does the extra 2" make a big diffrence with the same resolution?

I had a CRT that was 1 inch bigger (viewable) and with a slightly smaller resolution, and for me my 710T just is harder to read text. ~_~

~Thanks, and i hope you all enjoy your new sony.

I see two diferences between HS94P provided by SONY USA and the HS94P provided by SONY EUROPE.

-Visual Angles:
USA: 160/160
EU: 170/170

-Supported Colors:
USA:16,2
EU: 16,77

I don´t know if this it is a wrong post in the european pages, but all sonystyle's european websites says the same spects. You can see it in:

http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/So...atalog/z_InitShopISAEntry.do&shopId=SST_ES_EN

In the lower zone of the page you can change to the complete specificantions and see all the parameters of this display.

I don´t know if sony is doing two differents models, but it is what it seems.

A greeting from Spain

It's the Sony SDM-HS94P (silver or black). You can buy it at circuit city

Snikt said:
It's the Sony SDM-HS94P (silver or black). You can buy it at circuit city

I just saw! Its a good deal too.. 750 before 100 dollar rebate!

I think im gonna jump on this one !

zlooop said:
I just saw! Its a good deal too.. 750 before 100 dollar rebate!

I think im gonna jump on this one !

Are you sure? All the ones i've seen are 850, before 100$ rebate. I spent about 900$ with tax, and i'll prolly get my rebate in 20 years or so.

It's a really sweet monitor though, no complaints at all.

Bring in your reciept, I believe they'll give you the difference back.

cappy said:
Bring in your reciept, I believe they'll give you the difference back.

I just called the store and it's still 849$ there, so maybe it will drop in the store hopefully soon. Looks like the 764 is a web only price. I bet they just did that today though, becauase I know I looked around yesterday online and I would have waited a couple days for 100$.

spark said:
Hello!

Could you please comment of the coating on the display. Tomshardware reviewed a 17" SONY and found the screen was reflective like a mirror.

Is this monitor the same?

Please answer guys. This is really important to me!

spark said:
Please answer guys. This is really important to me!

They did answer. Read the 4th post, the one right after yours. This is also my biggest concern. If anyone can elaborate on the coating/reflectivity issue, I'd really appreciate it. The "Trusted Reviews" article also says that the black bezel is annoying; anyone have a black bezel HS94P? If so, is it annoying?

I just checked it out and it does have a reflection. Like a mirror.
Plus I set the background to black and saw some checkered patterns. My 710t doesn't do any of this. Sony is out for me due to the mirror like reflection.

I went to go look at the monitor at my local Circuit City, and they didnt have one available, they did however have the other 19 and 17 inch sony LCD's, which feature the same bezel and glass covering, the reflection wasnt as bad as I would have thought, and it wasnt anywhere near the reflection level in that image from the review.

spark said:

Spark, you're looking at a review of a different panel. That's the previous generation 17" panel they are talking about. That being said, I have read one review that states that the newer 17" also has a reflection problem. I have seen nothing on the HS94P that talks about this except the post above. Could someone put this thing in a well lit room and take a picture? Pretty Please

Aerobahn said:
anyone else want to know something?

Hehe.. i have too many questions..

How is the scaling on this monitor? Can you go down to 10x7 easily?

How are the controls for image quality? (color, screen adjust etc)

controls are great. lots of options to play with. Scailing isnt its best bag of tea

kamikazichaser said:
Thanks Aerobahn! Looks like this is the 19" to beat for the moment.

Until somebody uses the same panel, with a similar coating, in a package with a much smaller bezel. :)

I think the sony is nice, but putting that large of a bezel on an LCD is a CRIME!

eastvillager said:
Until somebody uses the same panel, with a similar coating, in a package with a much smaller bezel. :)

Yeah, the wide bezel and base with limited adjustment movement are not it's best features. Fairly common on consumer displays however. That display will never meet the ergonomic specs for the EU, which is probably why they aren't posting any. There will probably be a business version at some point with the same panel at some point with a VESA compliant base that will have a thinner bezel, allow height adjustment, greater tilt and screen rotation.

oc

Hello folks, my first post and it is talk of the Sony SDM-HS94P that has brought me here. I got mine this past Saturday at the Circuit City in Salem NH (sales tax free State) for $850 before a $100 rebate. To the fellow who posted earlier thinking he over paid and it was a on-line only rebate, I would suggest you go back to the store or check the CC or Sony website for a form, it is a manufacture’s offered rebate (Sony Displays: Summer 2004 LCD Rebate) and it most certainly is good for in-store purchases; my form printed out at the cash register. Additionally, we dealt directly with the store manager and with little prompting he agreed to authorize 6-month interest free if we used our Circuit City Card, even though no such deal was on offer and we have been long time card holders.

To the issue of reflectivity, yes it is reflective, when turned off the screen actually has a glass like appearance, not too unlike a CRT; but it totally disappears when powered up and looks nothing like the review photos someone else posted from Tom’s. That is the coating technology, and from what I can see sitting in front of it now, it works, and works well. From looking at those photos I could understand why someone would be scared off, put please for your own peace of mind, and my validation, have a look at one in operation before writing it off (I am of course referring to this specific model).

Pretty much ever thing else has been mentioned by others (by the way, some nice details and photos, guys). But I will quote myself below in a clip from a message a sent to a mailing list I am on 1PCBuilder with a few of my observations.

As it turns out the display (Sony SDM-HS94P) is beautiful cosmetically and very, very adequate performance wise. The front has a rather wide bezel of about 1.5", this might bother some folks but I think its faux brushed-aluminum look is very stylish. There are no buttons visible to detracting from the lines when looking at the display; they are neatly tucked under the bezel along with a status led that protrudes down just enough to be seen. The stand is an elegant sort of free-span arch affair that looks very unique, but is prone to a slight wobble if you accidentally hit your desk hard enough, but you would really have to try to shake it otherwise. The entire back of the display is covered by a removable convex shaped cover that hides the cable connections; not a big issue if your display is backed up against a wall, but if it was in an open office environment and visible from behind it would add a very nice look. While the onscreen adjustments are functional and abundant, I cannot say they are exactly intuitive (in comparison to my Eizo) and take considerable fiddling to get the look you want. But on that note I should say that if there is a look you want you should be able to find it with this display, the screen is ultra crisp and brightness abounds. I have been running it at the native 1280X1024 resolution via DVI and it looks great. I played Far Cry at those settings for a bit and it was amazing; I don't know if it is actually making the claimed 12ms response time, but it sure looked cool to me, no noticeable ghosting at all, and I could see amazingly sharp detail in the game that I never saw at 1024x768. One other note, not one dead/stuck pixel or sub-pixel that I was able to find running an NEC monitor test pattern series I keep on hand.

Peace
James

after at 5 days of use i love this monitor! But i am thinking of returning it. I am not happy about the 60hz refresh rate. It will not go one bit higher. If this monitor could do 75 it would be perfect. Becuase i hate my FPS dipping below 60 with vsync on.
Playing doom on it looks just like CRT if not better. I just wish i could have my 75 refresh rate then this monitor would rock. Choices choices.

Aerobahn said:
after at 5 days of use i love this monitor! But i am thinking of returning it. I am not happy about the 60hz refresh rate. It will not go one bit higher. If this monitor could do 75 it would be perfect. Becuase i hate my FPS dipping below 60 with vsync on.
Playing doom on it looks just like CRT if not better. I just wish i could have my 75 refresh rate then this monitor would rock. Choices choices.

Hang on. You're saying it looks better than other monitors, even CRTs, and you love it, but you're going to return it because of a number? It the games look good, then who cares how many FPS you're pulling. Can't get much above 60 in D3 anyway no matter what your rig. Is there something about the monitor's image quality that you don't like?

Everything about it is perfect. but 75 refresh is better. Heres why,

If my game is capped at 75refresh rate no game will stay exactly at 75 the frames will of course dip to 73 74 71 73 75 73 72 74 64 71 74.

But when your refresh rate is 60 with vync you get

60 57 60 58 58 59 54 57 59 60 54 60 59 53.

S0 the game will appear smoother if my thinking is correct. If the game stays above 60 it will look smoother. Gaming on this monitor with vsync is a MUST, with such little blur for an LCD its a tough choice if i should return it.

Aerobahn said:
Everything about it is perfect. but 75 refresh is better. Heres why,

If my game is capped at 75refresh rate no game will stay exactly at 75 the frames will of course dip to 73 74 71 73 75 73 72 74 64 71 74.

But when your refresh rate is 60 with vync you get

60 57 60 58 58 59 54 57 59 60 54 60 59 53.

S0 the game will appear smoother if my thinking is correct. If the game stays above 60 it will look smoother. Gaming on this monitor with vsync is a MUST, with such little blur for an LCD its a tough choice if i should return it.

Im confused... does the game not appear smooth to you now?

exactly. I'd understand if it looked like crap, but if it looks great, then what more can you possibly want? I mean, we're all "demanding enthusiasts" around here, but at some point the never ending quest for higher FPS becomes silly. Once you get to "it looks incredible" or "I love how it looks" then there's really nothing after that.

As for me, I don't care about the numbers, I care about what they mean. Right now, at this moment, it appears, from what you and others have said, that this is the best 19" LCD panel. Will a panel in the fairly near future surpass it? Most certainly. That's the game we play.

Did you know that TFTs are made to run ptimally at 60hz ?
And to be honest im not sure there is the correlation between FPS and Hz that your talking about, so I wouldnt make any rash moves as you might find its not even an issue.

Back