anyone runnin Doom3 on WinMe?

Chaballaman

[H]ard|Gawd
i read that u have to edit Doom3.exe file to get it work on Windows 9x or Me. is that true?

There was a post somewhere saying how to do it. Run a search on it, you'll find it. But it's not worth it.

Quoted from http://fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=63378
"This thread was not for an OS debate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you registered for this forum so you could post that tripe? This thread wasn't meant to be a debate about the virtues of Windows XP versus Windows 9x. It was meant to tell those who happen to use Windows 9X how to run the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8crapachino
Why are people still wasting their time with Windows 98 or ME?

Because they don't want to buy a newer version of Windows (which isn't cheap) or because they don't want to buy new hardware or other peripherals because their current ones don't work with Windows XP, or because not all of their games and other software will run on Windows XP, or because they don't want to go to the trouble of installation a new OS and all of their applications and updating their applications to run on Windows XP, or all of the above.

Quote:
There's a really good reason why ID-software chose not to support Windows 9x

No, there isn't, and this patch proves it.

Quote:
it's unstable

If all of the system's drivers are updated and the hardware is stable, then Windows 98SE is not less stable than XP. I regularly get blue screens on XP on most of my PC's and when those PC's ran 98SE they crashed no more or less frequently. In addition, when I do have to reboot, Windows 98SE boots much faster than XP (Yes, the XP desktop appears quickly but you can't actually use the system until much later. Plus, there is the login process.).

Quote:
inefficient

Windows 98SE uses considerably less RAM than 2000 and XP. In that sense it is much more efficient and can run larger programs on the same hardware than XP. A 256MB PC running Windows 98SE can run games and run them better than Windows XP can run on the same PC.

Quote:
and slow

Most games run slightly faster under Windows 98SE on the same hardware than Windows XP due to less overhead and more direct communication with the hardware. Windows 9X also does not have all of those extra background services running that 2000 and XP have (some of which are open to exploit by worms and all of which cannot be turned off without losing needed functionality). All of those things eat CPU cycles and RAM. If you go back and checkout magazine reviews of Windows XP by gaming websites when it was released, you will see this is so on a variety of hardware.

Quote:
Not to mention Windows 9x doesn't support anything about 512megs

That is a myth. There is a problem with vcache and RAM greater than 512MB, but that problem can be overcome with a setting change. Windows 9X may not manage RAM as well as 2000 and XP, but it does do a functional job and it uses less RAM in the process.

Quote:
meaning anyone running it will never be able to fully appreciate Doom3 at it's maximum visual settings.

Doom 3 requires 512MB of VIDEO RAM for maximum visual quality NOT system RAM."

i have two similar setup with windows xp and windows me and win me system runs faster n stable.

? how do u think i found a thread called "Doom3 for Windows 98 & ME" at first place? n its the first post.

just got d3 n got it runnin on win me after editin the d3.exe file. but it doesnt run 100% stable, i got few random hangs after playin 4 a while n had to press reset.. :(

any1 else runnin d3 on win 9x or me?

Back