Doom 3 on 110" Screen with 7.1 audio

plink

Limp Gawd
Here's some pics of my home theatre room that I also use for pc and console gaming.

Heres the specs.
Video
Projector: Sanyo PLV Z2
Screen size: 110" (9.16 feet) diagonal - (adjustable +/- tho)
Res: 1280x720 native (WXGA) over DVI-I (console games over component video)

Audio
Denon Amp AVR3802 - Outputting 7.1
Speakers - PSB - Mix of Stratus series and Image series.

Comp Specs
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ oc'ed to 3500
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
1 Gig RAM OCZ 3500 - 2x512
ATI X800-XT PE (dvi-i)
SB Audigy Z2 - used anolog cables and ext. in on amp for true 7.1 (instead of 5.1 digital)

(I am only running doom 3 at 1024x768 because of the lack of true 1280x720 support. I have ran it stretched at 1280x720 but its annoying. So I will wait for official support)
Update: Because of the latest patch, Doom3 now runs at a tru 1280x720 and looks spectacular.

EDIT: There are more pictures of my setup on pages 1,2,3 and 5 of this thread.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!!

Dude I hate you... what do you do for a living? Well nevermind it doesn't matter....

What matters is that that is F***** AWESOME!!!

Give us more details! :p

A) How much was the screen/projector?
B) Is it clear?

Only one underexposed shot of the game in action? For shame! More pix!

i'm glad you decided to post pictures of your living room. plz take everything apart and pm me for my address for you to fedex it to. thanks.

ps. very nice setup man. :cool: :cool:

Hey thanks guys!

I'll answer a few of your questions now. lol.

I'll take some more shots tonight. And I'll pop doom 3 in 1280x720 'stretched' mode so you can all see it in its sweetness. Yes the image is VERY clear. Flawless and crisp.It runs in digital dvi mode, so its technically perfect. To put it in perspective, I have a 19" LG flat screen monitor. And other than the fact that the projector puts out a much bigger image, they are identical. Clarity, colors, brightness, contrast... All perfect. The sanyo PLV Z2 is an extremely nice projector. Weighs in at $2700. Believe it or not, I'm not even using a screen yet. (still in the process of buying one) Thats actually off my wall. If you notice the stand the projector is on (mounted to the ceiling) I actually engineered and made that out of aluminum. I have 2 more fans up there for extra cooling as well... lol.

Did you just buy that PVL-Z2 for $2700, or have you had it for a while? I'm going to be buying one in the next few months, and the price I'm seeing now is around $1800. I'll planning on a setup quite similar to yours (Z2, Denon 3803, 7.1 Fluance setup). It's nice to see people are starting to realize that projectors can give you an awesome picture at a price that is usually much less than an HDTV, and it gives you about 4 times the screen size.

Yes it has 1280 x 768 res support (as do most games). Just takes a little editing of CFG file.

See this thread

Also see my thead here

Now you can enjoy the games at NATIVE resolutions (any res you want) without stretching.
See some of my 1280 x 768 screenshots HERE!

Yes the PLV Z2 is new. (1 month old) I forgot to mention though, that I live in Canada, so that is 2700 in canadian funds. (and also with gst) It was $2500 cdn without. Which is actually closer to 1500 US. The denon amp is awsome. I recommend it to anyone looking for a kick ass 7.1 setup for reasonable money. ($2000 canadian) And the psb's... don't even get me started. So crisp, so tight, and soooo loud! Though I payed $5,000 just for the speakers. (yes, canadian) I have compared my projector to new high end HD televisions, and in my opinion it blows them out of the water. Plus, I can take my projector at night, turn it so it points out the window. And play DOOM 3 on the side of the house across the street. Then everyone on my side of the street watches me kill evil demons. And if I turn up my volume, everyone can hear it as well. lol.

Perfect CR:

I looked at your screen shot and it is definetely stretched. I have used the config file to get the fake resolution as I said above, though I prefer not to use it because it is disorrienting when you turn and your circles become ovals. Doom 3 is yet to support true widescreen. (Quake 3 did though) I have sent a few emails to id software, and they said they would be adding it in the future. Also 1280x720 is standard HDTV res which is my projectors native resolution, not 1280x768. Which is a bit wider.

^ dude that conduit has all his cables (probably dvi, component, svideo, and an rca) from his source to the pj.

I was going to suggest you get a screen plink, but you mention it is coming.

Sweet!

Rustynuts: What the hell is that fire hose running into your projector for!!

Lol.... thats actually 2" split loom tubing.... Inside is all my wires:

1x - 3 socket power extension cord
1x - DVI-I cable
3x - Component Cables (one cable for each signal)
1x - S Video Cable (for running older stuff like vcrs and such)
1x - Composite Cable (for playing life-size Super Mario on snes and N64) lol, basically just for the heck of it.

plink said:
Perfect CR:

I looked at your screen shot and it is definetely stretched. I have used the config file to get the fake resolution as I said above, though I prefer not to use it because it is disorrienting when you turn and your circles become ovals. Doom 3 is yet to support true widescreen. (Quake 3 did though) I have sent a few emails to id software, and they said they would be adding it in the future. Also 1280x720 is standard HDTV res which is my projectors native resolution, not 1280x768. Which is a bit wider.

1024 stretched to 1280 is stretching, this is running at the native resolution of the monitor. Of course it is WIDER than 1024, but not stretched like a 1024 width stretched to 1280. The width is 1280. I've tried it at 1024 with Monitor Scaling (stretched) and it looks horrible. If you saw the difference then you'd see.

Jake,

Yup the screen is on the way... Looking at a grey screen for higher contrast and such. (like the Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk) Though I will probably go with something cheaper from Da-Lite.

plink said:
Jake,

Yup the screen is on the way... Looking at a grey screen for higher contrast and such. (like the Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk) Though I will probably go with something cheaper from Da-Lite.

That PLV Z2 is DLP right? I haven't watched much on DLP projectors, just some on a friends CRT and work's LCD. Does it really need the grey for better blacks?

Sweet, Stewart screens are the bombshizzniggidysnipnap. Da-Lite is better for the pocket book though.

PerfectCr said:
1024 x 768 stretched to 1024 is stretching, this is running at the native resolution of the monitor. Of course it is WIDER than 1024, but not stretched like a 1024 width stretched to 1280. The width is 1280. I've tried it at 1024 with Monitor Scaling (stretched) and it looks horrible. If you saw the difference then you'd see.

Yea I understand what your saying. But for example far cry supports true 1280x720 mode. Which is perfect on my projector. Whereas if I run 1280x720 on Doom3 the GAME is scaled. Not the actual image. Like the image coming from my dvi port on my pc is a true 1280x720 image, but the game is stretching itself to obviously match what I've told it in the config file, but because the game doesn't truly support widescreen the image is stretched from the normal 4:3 image of 1280x960 to an HDTV widescreen image of 1280x720... But enough of this confusion lol.... I'll post some more pix tonight of both a 4:3 image 1024x768 and an HDTV image of 1280x720 so you can see what I'm talking about.

Jake said:
That PLV Z2 is DLP right? I haven't watched much on DLP projectors, just some on a friends CRT and work's LCD. Does it really need the grey for better blacks?

Sweet, Stewart screens are the bombshizzniggidysnipnap. Da-Lite is better for the pocket book though.

Actally Jake, the PLV Z2 is an LCD projector. Which is why its recommended to have a grey screen. It's definetely not 'required' though, as it does look really good as it is. Those pictures don't do it any justice. I'll try and take some much better ones tonight.

Oh, if it is LCD then I would definately consider a grey screen. Any screen would help brightness, but having a grey one will 'tone down' the current grey/brown/blacks closer to true black.

Very cool that you got one that is native 16:9.

matt fury said:
Is the game still suspenseful when blown up to that size?

lol... Sounds like I need to invite some people over. Matt, its actually waaay more suspensful. Picture the difference of a demon jumping at you on your monitor at the 'real life' height of say 7 inches on a 19" monitor. Now picture it on a 110" screen where the demon becomes roughly 55 inches high (or pretty much 6' feet tall) Honestly though, I only play the game 45 minutes at a time and then I have to take a break as I'm all stressed out and sweatin like a pig from jumping out of my seat.

I actually had 6 people over last night and we were playing doom 3. Usually when you have that many people everything is less scary. But this one friend of my wifes that was there, everytime an enemy would jump out, she would dive behind the couch screaming at the top of her lungs. It was too helarious. After playing it for just 10 minutes they begged me to turn it off or they would have nightmares.

LOL, thats teh shit...I was thinking of doing that in a auditorium at my school but the problem is I can't find a good enough PC for D3 :p If I ever did that D3 would be on a 60ft screen and have approximately 3000watts of audio power... :D :eek:

Wow, sounds awesome. I just figured that since you're sitting on your couch, a good distance from the screen, it might take away a little of the immersion factor, but I guess not.

AHHH COOOOL! I wish I could experience that, lol. Where do you live?!?!?! :p Post some more pictures!

hallucinated said:
AHHH COOOOL! I wish I could experience that, lol. Where do you live?!?!?! :p Post some more pictures!

I live in Alberta, Canada. More pictures coming tonight in about an hour and a half. Once I'm off work.

Thats a pretty sweet setup! Nice to see Canadian prices, so I don't have to convert. :D I'm from Alberta too, where exactly are you from? Oh, and it sure is nice of your wife to let you have that little piece of heaven in your home.

You must be upmixing to 7.1, since the game won't do 7.1... :) (ah, I see you're doing it in the soundcard)

Nice to see somebody else with denon, though, I've got denon avr-4802 and denon dvd-2900 hooked up to a 42" panny, solely for watching DVDs.

mikereeve said:
Thats a pretty sweet setup! Nice to see Canadian prices, so I don't have to convert. :D I'm from Alberta too, where exactly are you from? Oh, and it sure is nice of your wife to let you have that little piece of heaven in your home.

hehe... yea she roxorz! I live in a small town outside of Red Deer.... (a party town in the summer) if your from around here you'll know which one. :cool:

eastvillager said:
You must be upmixing to 7.1, since the game won't do 7.1... :) (ah, I see you're doing it in the soundcard)

Nice to see somebody else with denon, though, I've got denon avr-4802 and denon dvd-2900 hooked up to a 42" panny, solely for watching DVDs.

mmmmm.... 4802.... mmmm I almost bought it. But got the 3802 instead. Still totally rockin tho. Actually you are right.... its not a true 7.1 because doome 3 doesnt support it. But like you know, our amps (the 4802 and 3802) auto upscale for us. yay!

btw... I'll have more pix in a few minutes... just taken em now.

Okay here is one more. To show off clarity when up closer... Although I'm still about 9 feet away from the screen. Keep in mind that it is pretty dark in the room, so my camera still isn't taking a very realistic shot. If you have ever seen one of those cam movies you can download off the net that look all gross and such, and then when u compare that to what it looks like in real life when you actually see the movie in the theatre, you'll get a better idea of how good this actually is.

pic8.jpg

HOLY crap that's so sweet. There's no words to describe this. I'm going to go wet myself now. Post some more pics! One pic when you're close up to an imp or pinky demon. hahaha :p

Nice. I've been playing Doom3 @ 1706x960 on my 47" rear projection crt and have been loving it. I've also played far cry @1776x1000 for a bit. Since I have a 1080i tv I only have to hit 30fps. 110" must be joy. I've seen pics of a guy watching a hd football game on a 10 or 12 foot screen on avsforum.

Nice setup.

Back