Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Albatron

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other (plz post)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

PC-HAngover

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to decide what brand of 6800 GT I am going to go with. I am going to be letting go of my tired old X800 Pro.. This is what is really pushing my buttons. Should I go for custom cooling - BFG, MSI, Leadtek? Or is stock cooling better? I have heard a little bit of both. I also love how Evga has their trade up program that lets you trade in your card within 90 days for a new one - minus the price of card at time of purchase. BFG also makes some really cool cards, that come pre-oc'ed, be it not by much... Galaxy has the next revision of the Artic Cooling Silencer on it... so that looks promising, except I can't find any e-tailers in the states. I haven't heard too much from the other companies though.
To sum it up:

Evga : trade up program
BFG : pre-oc'ed
MSI : ?
Leadtek : Huuuge ass cooler
Galaxy : Artic Silencer pre-installed
PNY : ?

I would probably go with the XFX or Leadtek myself. The Albatron also looks really sexy though because it comes with a blue PCB.

I havn't pushed my XFX as far as it will go yet, but you can see from my sig how fast its running ATM.

PC-HAngover said:
I am trying to decide what brand of 6800 GT I am going to go with. I am going to be letting go of my tired old X800 Pro.. This is what is really pushing my buttons. Should I go for custom cooling - BFG, MSI, Leadtek? Or is stock cooling better? I have heard a little bit of both. I also love how Evga has their trade up program that lets you trade in your card within 90 days for a new one - minus the price of card at time of purchase. BFG also makes some really cool cards, that come pre-oc'ed, be it not by much... Galaxy has the next revision of the Artic Cooling Silencer on it... so that looks promising, except I can't find any e-tailers in the states. I haven't heard too much from the other companies though.
To sum it up:

Evga : trade up program
BFG : pre-oc'ed
MSI : ?
Leadtek : Huuuge ass cooler
Galaxy : Artic Silencer pre-installed
PNY : ?

The eVGa appears to be pre oced as well. Mine came defualt 425/`1100 and will do 450/1200

i got a BFG, but the only reason was because it's available.

just get whichever one you can find for cheapest.

LEADTEK! cooling toataly kicks ass. i never brake 70C(masx is 69, av is 68) under load, and i av. around 50-53 c idle. and thats overclocked to 420/1130

I'd liek to see a comparision of temps between the leadtek card and those running the NV silencer.

But my bet is on my slightly modified leadtek :D

the_village_treky said:
they have a shipment on new egg about once a week....

are you referrring to the leadteks? They are really digging into the wallet with that $470 price tag. I don't see how a little better cooling can justify the price compared to say PNY, Evga, or BFG at $399.

well, the bundel is awsum two. not just the games, but the utills kick ass. anywhay, i got it when it was 455, which was 5 mins after it was 435... ah well, it still kicks ass. 3 year warenty, which is longer than most lifetime warentys last to...

I got my Leadtek for $450, and the tempertures playing doom 3 for hours never go above 70°C, And its overclocked to 420/1140. Idling I get about 51°C. Its been a great card so far, and I believe it has the best AIR cooling system for the 6800's.

it seems like the majority of the [H]arders like BFG... but I am starting to lean towards Evga. I like the idea of buying a 6800 GT now, and IF I win the 6800UE drawing to buy it, then I can simply step up to that.

Gainward 6800GT becouse it comes with 3 year door-to-door warranty and two DVI outputs :)

this poll should really be about which card everyone thinks is best, not which one they bought

PC-HAngover said:
it seems like the majority of the [H]arders like BFG... but I am starting to lean towards Evga. I like the idea of buying a 6800 GT now, and IF I win the 6800UE drawing to buy it, then I can simply step up to that.

The UE is not available for the step up progie. If you win the drawing .........you have to buy it.

jacuzz1 said:
The UE is not available for the step up progie. If you win the drawing .........you have to buy it.

incorrect.. browse their forums and you will find a question about the UE and the step-up. If you win the drawing you are allowed to pay the difference if you bought a previous evga card within the last 90 days. AKA Step-Up.

I voted for the Leadtek. I like the cooling.

That being said I bought a PNY. It came with Doom3 for free.

CompUSA
PNY = $433 (tax included)
+ Doom 3 = $433 retail (tax included)

Newegg
Leadtek = $475 delivered (if you can find it)
Plus Doom = $534.50

Basically, since I needed Doom3, I saved $100 by not waiting for a Leadtek and that was even considering that I paid sales tax.

If you only want the card and don't need/want Doom, then the difference is only $75 if you order through Newegg

At CompUSA the PNY 6800GT bundled with Doom3 is 399. Over At Best-Buy the BFG 6800GT OC is 399. I have never considered the PNY cards in the same league as, BFG, eVGA, LeadTech,MSI, Albatron, Gainward, Well the list goes on. However on these cards aren't they all pretty equal??

WZ

WeldZilla said:
At CompUSA the PNY 6800GT bundled with Doom3 is 399. Over At Best-Buy the BFG 6800GT OC is 399. I have never considered the PNY cards in the same league as, BFG, eVGA, LeadTech,MSI, Albatron, Gainward, Well the list goes on. However on these cards aren't they all pretty equal??

WZ

Yeah.. they pretty much are equal except the warranty and extra stuff- step up program, bundle, and heatsink variations.

XFX because at first I bought it because thats all there was to buy then it hit 420/1150 without any problems and autodetected even higher.

heh Galaxy I have to say
Just wait tll I get the benchmarks from the computer in the United States...

I would have gotten a BFG or Gainward if I could find one, but I found an eVGA and decided its also a good deal. Free Far Cry and the chance to upgrade in 90 days sounds good to me.

The BFG Ultra OC is the best. Check out the OC I got with the Danger Den NV-68 block. This is of course with 1.5V GPU VMOD. Temps seem to be about the same with the mod, but the OC ceiling is now much higher. It is completely stable at these clocks. 0 artifacts.

GPUOC.jpg

trudude said:
The BFG Ultra OC is the best. Check out the OC I got with the Danger Den NV-68 block. This is of course with 1.5V GPU VMOD. Temps seem to be about the same with the mod, but the OC ceiling is now much higher. It is completely stable at these clocks. 0 artifacts.

GPUOC.jpg

i fucking hate you..... lol, im thinking of v-moding, but im still going to use air(leadtek coper cooler).

ps. i might want to clock it down a bit if its burning up like that... :p

jacuzz1 said:
The eVGa appears to be pre oced as well. Mine came defualt 425/`1100 and will do 450/1200

Nvidia Stated sometime ago that ALL 6800 Ultra's coming out after some date would have a 425 core speed instead of 400 .

My pick is BFG the card is slightly overclocked and it has a life time warranty, i had other BFG products and if you call there free support line they are always there and are very helpfull since it's base in the U.S.A there RMA is really fast too, i have heard most other company's listed here, there customer support is subpar, if you're spending any amount of $ for any electronic equipment having a good company backing it's product 100% is more important than cooling, looking good or accessories

I bought the Gainward because it really goes well inside my case. This card is RED RED RED! It has red PCB and the two fans have red LEDs. The anodized aluminum fan housing structure is red. All the heatsinks are solid copper. The ram heatsinks are individual and of substantial size, with substantial cooling fins. Runs nice and cool. I bumped it up to ultra speeds immediately and it just eats up all my games. Big step up from my not very old 9800xt. :D

Oh yeah, like the next post says, not voiding the warranty when overclocking is a very important feature to me, since as soon as I get time I intend to mod the BIOS and see just how far I can push this baby!

Definetly BFG...

Already o/ced with warranty to that speed, lifetime warranty, and great customer service.

I know with my 5800U I could just call them up and ask a few questions. They asked no questions about buying new products or anything. They just answered, and the wait time was 0. Heck you can just about call up there and talk to a tech guy about cards.

Back