New NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW @ Newegg

Hot,

Whodda thunk that a 16X dual layer/dual format drive would be available so quick and so cheap. A great brand name no less...

And of course my 2510 just came today and I had been messing with it all afternoon.

*sigh*

Oh well, I'll wait till this one drops to $69 and snag one then. 8X is fast enough for me right now, 16X media will be tough to come by around here, and prolly very pricey to boot.

Thats a great deal though.

Whoa, was actually JUST on NewEgg about to place my DVDRW order and decided to check the [H] first. Thanks m8!

nice deal, where can i guy get some dual layer media to play with?

I just ordered my 2510 too :(. Ahh well, I love it, and I don't need anything faster than 8x anywho. I do have to admit however, this is a pretty tight deal for a great burner!

I forgot to mention, I got my 2510 for free by test driving a Chrysler. :)

I ordered a guide to Chrysler vehicles from their site. Received a brochure with a $75 coupon or what not after I test drove a vehicle... mailed it in... got it back.... purchased my new burner.

That's about it.

NEC makes some fine DVD±RW drives, I still have a 1300A model .. I've had it for over a year, burned DOZENS of discs and only done a couple of coasters... most of which were from me hitting the HDD or CPU really hard (windows, of course).

One of these 16x dual-layer drives and a NetFlix account would rock :)

Yea, it will; I've got a MicroAdvantage 8x and it rocks already, and the 3500A is in the mail. :D

Well, BenQ has their 16x DVD+R Dual layer drives, but I'd rather have an NEC.

I'm not completely satisfied with my NEC 2510A. It only burns at 4x. And yes, I have 8x media Ridata to use.

UltimaParadox said:
You might want to pay the 7 or so dollars more and get the Pioneer, from what I have read it is an all around better drive than the NEC this time.

Beige
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-129-156&depa=0

Black
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-129-157&depa=0

One thing I might consider though, is that NEC puts out lots of firmwares. May be able to correct some of their issues early on before the Pioneer's are.

I've been using NEC's since the 1300a's never a problem, And actually I switched to NEC's over pioneers for customers computers. i've probably bought 40 total DVD burners in the last 2 years. I've had to RMA 2 pioneers, but to their defense, They were going non stop jsut about everyday, and 2x burners. They more than paid for themselves.

My DVD/CD copying rig here has 4 NEC 2500a burners in it. DVD shrink for DVD's and Nero 6 will burn to multiple burners at once if you have a full edition, and not the OEM that comes with the drives.

My NEC 2500a with hacked firmware will let you burn at any speed. I've got some 8x cheap media i paid like 65 cents each for and they burn stable @ 8x. And my Riteks will burn @ 8x also.. But for movies i keep it @ 4x for stability.

I order between 600-800 Blank DVDr's a month and sell them with rigs and to customers that need them. I found BE-ALL 4x Media to be more DVD player compatable than Everyone's favorite Riteks. And I have easily ordered 4-5 thousand of them in the last year. If you havent tried them. meritline.com has Be-all's, Made by samsung at a nice price.

I just ordered the 16x NEC, Now to wait for a year for even 12x media, let alone 16x!!!!

I have one Dual Layered DVD disk here. I got it for free on a new egg customer apprciation deal. It's disgusting what they cost. $14-$20 everywhere for one disk.

Newegg link below for the only 2 they stock 3 for $34!!!! F that!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=0

It's crazy how cheap DVD burners are now. I paid like $62 something for a Silver Face 2500 NEC for a shuttle box. No reason to buy CDRW drives anymore the price is so close.

Tedinde said:
I have one Dual Layered DVD disk here. I got it for free on a new egg customer apprciation deal. It's disgusting what they cost. $14-$20 everywhere for one disk.

I remember DVDR media costing that, when it first came out .. wait till more people are buying it, the price should drop pretty quick!

Dual Layers media is pricey 'cos they're essentially hand-made up to this point... due to their nature it is very difficult to mass produce them, hence the high price tag. Don't expect them to turn cheap anytime soon, it's gonna take a lot longer than plain DVD-R discs did.

On the subject, NECs are pretty spiffy, if you disregard the fact that they make lousy readers (yes, this includes the 3500A). Can't beat them at this price tho :cool:

I have both, and both are good drives. But I would prob pick the Pioneer, because it has never let me down. I am just waiting for BluRay burners :) next year....

I cannot get my dvd burner to play my dvds that are store bought. It keeps saying something is wrong with the screen resolution. I changes it to the lowest settings and it still doesn't work... I am using a free dvd player that comes on most dvds.

Are Plextor's worth the price over the Pioneers? Some Plextors have a 30 mail in rebate right now on the egg.

so with this i'll be able to make 1:1 backups of my ps2 games and dvd movies?
somehow i'm feelling like i should get my flame suit on... oh well :/

Im getting the black DVR-108 from pioneer. No plextors arent worth the extra money unless you just like to brag. I wont be getting a NEC, my friend has had a terrible time with his :rolleyes:

tylerhskate said:
Im getting the black DVR-108 from pioneer. No plextors arent worth the extra money unless you just like to brag. I wont be getting a NEC, my friend has had a terrible time with his :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that. Plextors I have found to be super reliable drives rich in features, I have owned 3 and not one of them has failed to this day. In this day and age their price might not be justified, due to the competition finally catching up, but their drives are definetly more than just bragging rights.

One thing I know, is that I wouldn't be hesitant to buy a Plextor drive

tylerhskate said:
I wont be getting a NEC, my friend has had a terrible time with his :rolleyes:

I have a NEC. I've burned close to 200 DVDs with it and havent had any problems whatsoever. A few coasters but those weren't the drive's fault.

I love my 8x Lite-On. The firmware is easily hackable. I burn 4x media at 8x with no problems whatsoever. I will upgrade when a 16x Lite-On burner is available.

Maximus - I bought the Lite-On DL DVD Burner recently from New Egg. The review on CD-R Info indicated it was pretty great at copying most discs, like their CD-R drives were, so I figured it would be a good drive. But discs burnt at 4x seem to lock up when playing MPEG-2 videos written to DVD back on a computer, XBox, PS2, etc.

I've had this problem with Pioneer's as well, and I find if I just burn at 2x, I'm usually ok. But I bought the Dual Layer drive to work with my Ritek 4x and BMI 4x media. Am I just using poor media? Is the firmware a problem on my Lite-On? They've updated a couple times already, and I'm running the VS0A. I'll go see if there is ANOTHER firmware update.

I wonder if I shouldn't RMA this drive (assuming I still can and switch to the new NEC. Seems like EVERYONE has good things to say about the NEC DL DVD burners.

Is it worth it to buy a 16x drive for $90 over an 8x drive for $60? I mean, as a gamer and someone buying a new drive, is the faster drive justified?

-SEAL

When it comes to computers, the newest speed whatever will soon be not so fast anymore.

Seems like a lot of us just ordered the ND-2510A, including myself. =0þ

MERKMAN said:
Maximus - I bought the Lite-On DL DVD Burner recently from New Egg. The review on CD-R Info indicated it was pretty great at copying most discs, like their CD-R drives were, so I figured it would be a good drive. But discs burnt at 4x seem to lock up when playing MPEG-2 videos written to DVD back on a computer, XBox, PS2, etc.

I've had this problem with Pioneer's as well, and I find if I just burn at 2x, I'm usually ok. But I bought the Dual Layer drive to work with my Ritek 4x and BMI 4x media. Am I just using poor media? Is the firmware a problem on my Lite-On? They've updated a couple times already, and I'm running the VS0A. I'll go see if there is ANOTHER firmware update.

I wonder if I shouldn't RMA this drive (assuming I still can and switch to the new NEC. Seems like EVERYONE has good things to say about the NEC DL DVD burners.

It's either bad firmware or a faulty drive. Go here and use the latest firmware that they have:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

See if that helps any. Ritek is good media, so that's prolly not the problem. But, it could be that you got a bad batch of them. Are you using DVD+R or DVD-R? I always use DVD+R as it seems to have the best compatibility for me. Try updating the firmware and burning onto different media. Also, it could be that your DVD player is a bit picky, so you might look into using bit-setting to force the DVD to be read as a DVD-ROM.

SEALTeamSix said:
Is it worth it to buy a 16x drive for $90 over an 8x drive for $60? I mean, as a gamer and someone buying a new drive, is the faster drive justified?

-SEAL

I'd say the faster speed is justified only if you burn a lot of DVDs. Also, with high speed media being scarce, you should only buy a drive that has easily hackable firmware. I burn 4x media at 8x on my Lite-On 851S drive. With a lot of other drives, I would not be able to do this, and I would be stuck either paying a lot for 8x media, or just burning at 4x...

Maximus825 said:
I'd say the faster speed is justified only if you burn a lot of DVDs. Also, with high speed media being scarce, you should only buy a drive that has easily hackable firmware. I burn 4x media at 8x on my Lite-On 851S drive. With a lot of other drives, I would not be able to do this, and I would be stuck either paying a lot for 8x media, or just burning at 4x...

I went ahead and bought a MadDog (aka: re-labeled) drive from OfficeMax... how can I tell which model drive I actually have? Serial numbers?

-SEAL

What does the label on the drive say? In my experience, most "re-labeled" drives are actually just re-boxed.

One of these 16x dual-layer drives and a NetFlix account would rock

For those of you wondering, the NEC DVD burners are not very good readers at all. I just bought a 2510a, and while it's a great burner, you better get something better for a ripper. The NEC drive doesn't like scratches on the DVD's at all. Supposedly the new 3500A's will be better, we'll see.
Also, if you buy a cheap DVD-ROM for a reader, you don't have to worry about it being locked at 2.0X speeds for ripping CSS encrypted DVDs. No firmware updates needed. I just bought a Liteon for my ripper on the strength of a recommendation from the mod of the optical drive forum. TechHead will know if it's not a good ripper! :D

Back