Getting rid of the ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotmod

Limp Gawd
Just a quick question, Since i have paid to get access to the General Mayhem area does this mean that i can loose the newegg ad at the top?

At first a paid subscription got you an adless forum page but enough of us complained because we used the banner as a shortcut that Kyle gave it back. Besides its only one ad and not a pop-up or anything else distracting.

Kckazdude said:
At first a paid subscription got you an adless forum page but enough of us complained because we used the banner as a shortcut that Kyle gave it back. Besides its only one ad and not a pop-up or anything else distracting.
lol, that's what I use it for

Basically it was brought back by popular demand and most likely will stay from now on. If it was 'shock the monkey' or something useless, I'm sure it would have bitten the dust never to return, but the Egg is a very useful advertiser and about the best for ordering your computer parts, so it stays for a good reason :)

L0s7 4 Lyf3 said:
If it gives [H] money for affiliation I'm going through that ad every time I order from Newegg.
No, it's not an affiliate deal where [H] gets a cut. But by clicking thru an [H] banner when you're planning to buy anyway, it shows newegg that their advertising here is very effective and a good return on their ad dollar investment. So maybe Kyle can negotiate better rates from them. :)

Wow, I think Kyle should seriously demand some compensation from Newegg for linking them. 90% of the [H] population uses Newegg and a majority of [H]'ers live by it. If Newegg hasn't figured that out yet, they need to so Kyle and [H] can benefit from this serious linkage going on.

Lethal said:
No, it's not an affiliate deal where [H] gets a cut. But by clicking thru an [H] banner when you're planning to buy anyway, it shows newegg that their advertising here is very effective and a good return on their ad dollar investment. So maybe Kyle can negotiate better rates from them. :)
I like having the ad, I just hate the animation.

Ad is fine I use it as a link anyways. Plus did anyone notice the survey now at NewEgg where you can Select [H]ard OCP as the place you heard about NewEgg from.

Theres an ad there. I just ignore it, but the odd time it caught my eye and I did a clicky. What ever helps the [H]

Cheers,

Its not that, it's that i will never use the egg(not in the states) and i just find it a bit bugging.

But if it cant be removed then it doesnt bother me greatly, Just wondering if it could be done.

:)

Lethal said:
So how does it work? Is it like, I click it and Kyle gets a few cents, or do I have to spend money at Newegg in the same session for Kyle to get any commission? I always kick myself after buying things from Newegg because I forget to click-through the ad. :D

lorcani said:
So how does it work? Is it like, I click it and Kyle gets a few cents, or do I have to spend money at Newegg in the same session for Kyle to get any commission? I always kick myself after buying things from Newegg because I forget to click-through the ad. :D
No commission. IIRC, Kyle commented a few years back that he wouldn't use commission-based advertising (created conflict-of-interest in reviews, maybe?)

I expect it's a flat-fee for advertising, but NewEgg seeing buy-throughs helps convince them that it's effective advertising, and thus worth renewing.

lomn75 said:
I expect it's a flat-fee for advertising, but NewEgg seeing buy-throughs helps convince them that it's effective advertising, and thus worth renewing.
Alright, that makes sense. Thanks.

lomn75 said:

Most banner advertising works on the basis of "impressions", or the number of times the banner is displayed, at a cost of whatever per 1000 impressions. The advertiser has software to track how many impressions are served up, how many click-thrus they get, and how many of those click-thrus result in a purchase and how much money was spent.

Click-thru rates are generally quite low, and the buy-thru rate is a small fraction of that. The banner ad industry took a dump a few years ago, and adverting rates dropped because they just weren't that effective. As lomn75 said, the buy-thrus prove that advertising on [H] is an effective use of their ad dollars.

I have no idea what the going rates are these days or what Kyle's deal with newegg entails. The bottom line is that Kyle is a businessman, and businessmen don't generally discuss their finances in public. :)

Lethal said:
Most banner advertising works on the basis of "impressions", or the number of times the banner is displayed, at a cost of whatever per 1000 impressions. The advertiser has software to track how many impressions are served up, how many click-thrus they get, and how many of those click-thrus result in a purchase and how much money was spent.

Click-thru rates are generally quite low, and the buy-thru rate is a small fraction of that. The banner ad industry took a dump a few years ago, and adverting rates dropped because they just weren't that effective. As lomn75 said, the buy-thrus prove that advertising on [H] is an effective use of their ad dollars.

I have no idea what the going rates are these days or what Kyle's deal with newegg entails. The bottom line is that Kyle is a businessman, and businessmen don't generally discuss their finances in public. :)

I don't imagine any of us would expect him to either :) Would it be enough to say that newegg purchases would be best served via one of the banners on this site?

I don't really care what Kyle is being paid. It's none of my business. My question was, does it benefit the [H] to, when buying something from Newegg, click the banner ad and buy through that? Or do you guys just get money for click-throughs (impressions)?

mutazx said:
Would it be enough to say that newegg purchases would be best served via one of the banners on this site?
Absolutely! :)

See, I know that many, many members here (myself included) buy from newegg anyway. Although I'm sure they realize there is a residual effect from advertising in general (where a person recalls the site name and types it in), clicking thru an [H] banner ad to buy from them shows exactly where the dollars are coming from. And that gives Kyle better negotiating power for what he's charging to serve the ads.

I know Kyle can be a stubborn SOB sometimes (don't hurt me, boss!), but I also know that he is very ethical and has refused paid ads from companies he didn't think were in line with best interests for the site.

Lethal is right....on all points. :)

NewEgg pays us a flat rate per month. They do very much pay attention to our click throughs that turn into sales for them. So while in terms of direct money, it does not benefit us, overall it does tremendously. So please if you are going to buy something from NewEgg, please use your banners to shortcut to their site for your purchase.

maybe a good comprimise would be to allow a checkbox in the user control panel for paid subscibers to show the ad or not. just thinking out loud here, heh.

i disagree with what people have said in this post, however. advertising is about getting new customers. i know about the egg, and have for a long time now. i order most of my computer stuff from there. me clicking on the ad or going directly to their site technically changes nothing, as i was headed there anyway... technically that doesn't help newegg at all.

edit: please note i'm not saying don't click through it to make orders, i'm just saying that's not really helping newegg too much; however, it may show to them that the members of this board are loyal; which is definitely a worth a click, heh.

(just saying all of this because it can be considered fraudulent results if you're clicking the link just to make [H] look more effective than it really is)

Kamel said:
maybe a good comprimise would be to allow a checkbox in the user control panel for paid subscibers to show the ad or not. just thinking out loud here, heh.

That is what i am on about. I use or need the newegg ad and im wondering if i can get rid of the thing for good.

Realistically for paid folks, if you want to click through to the 'Egg, and the ad was not at the top of the forums page, then all you have to do is click the link at the bottom to the main page, and click the link there.

I truly don't mind the ad, but I hate the frigging animation.
If you can't get rid of animation, then get rid of the ad for the subscribers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back