.:: ~ PROJECT: BLU ~ ::. pics, pics, pics

em00guy

Weaksauce
I'm also posting this at ocforums so if i get the two boards mixed up forgive me.

.::I. Prolouge::.

Project: Blu is the progeny of my frustration with the mundane wind tunnel currently polluting my den. I’ve grown tiresome of disguising its mediocrity with cold cathodes and EL wire. Trouble is, I seem to harbor an immoderacy complex that prevents me from proceeding with anything in a modest manner. As such, some of you may find the unfathomable l337itude of Blu mildly obscene. Alright, so I’m a bit pretentious, I’ll tone down the rhetoric and present my vision of Blu. Project: Blu, when completed will be the fusion of an original custom case modification and an extreme water cooling solution. The two premises will be divided into a pair of phases, the first of which will be the case mod and second of which will be the water cooling system. The precise nature of the case modification is evolving every day but it will involve replacing nearly 80% of the surface area of the case with custom shaped acrylic panels and a special front end treatment I’ll describe below. The cooling set up will be a manifestation of my various compulsive and extravagance disorders all rolled up in a bun and served with a side of absurdness and a cold pitcher of “WTF” to wash it down! Lets just say dual foot long heater cores (radiators) cooled by two 600 cfm blowers each the size of a small Australian orphan and a 600 gpm pump with 22’ (thats alot) of head. Anyway that’s enough of that lets get to it. I hope you’ll all follow this project and help me counter my crippling ADD when it flares up.

[edit: BTW it may also be a bit blue]

.::II. Lets DO the damn thang::.

Alright Err…Phase one. So let the m0daliciousness commence. Let me first start by posting pics of the current riggage:

DCP_0986.jpg

cute cat but one day i'll be shoveling cat dander from my intake fans

DCP_1001.jpg

Its nothing to complain about but its also been done. I’ll give you a brief overview of what I fancy for the case. As you can see it is a standard issue Chieftec dragon with a pre-modified window kit. I’ve decided that this case will work marvelously for my application due to its size and relative design simplicity. My plan is to start by cutting out the front center grill structure from the face of the case leaving a large hole in façade of the case. I will then rectify that abomination by patching the cutout with layers of electric blue window tint I purchased from the local auto parts store. So when staring at the front of the case instead if looking at a grilled façade and door you will see a reflective blue sheet (hopefully backed by some sort of el lighting. I will then attempt to stencil and cut a design (perhaps a dragon or Asian/Arabic characters) into a material that will be sandwiched in the layers of tint. When staring at the case the net effect will be a glowing blue surface with the faint silhouette of a stenciled dragon (or whatever). If you can envision this the way I currently am you’ve just fouled yourself. Now clean in up, it smells. Both side panels will be fitted with clear acrylic “windowlets”: cut into an organic design that will flow with the elements that will be protruding from the case (like those uber blowers) I jostled with the concept of tinting the windows but alternatively I opted to keep them clear to parade what will be the defining attribute of Blu. I will paint the entire aluminum chassis of the case metallic blue which will be exposed through the various windowlets in top and sides of the case. This will be contrasted by a refinish of the metallic silver outer shell (may the lord have mercy on my soul). I’m also playing with the idea of an extreme mobo tray mod, I’ll give you details as I refine the design. This design with be full of idiosyncrasies that will be revealed as the build advances And I may need lots of aid to pull it off.

{edit:} It's 4am here, I was gonna post some pics from the work i started but I can't even keep my eyes open so i'll do it tommorow morning.

.::III. *blasphemy* would you get on with it already::.

Ok as a starting point I chose the front façade mod outlined above because it would be the least stressful to my meager pocketbook. I have also not yet acquired a replacement case to house the computer whilst I mod the old case. However a few years back I purchased a replacement front panel for the dragon so I’ll mod the replacement. This way in case of a mistake I still have the original façade as backup. Here are the pics from the first day of work.

DCP_0987.jpg

This is the replacement front panel notice it’s a bit different than the original dragon design. However the principle shape remains.

DCP_0988.jpg

Another shot of the inner door un-modded.

DCP_0989.jpg

I first removed the small insert in the door. The basic outline made by the insert depression and the grill is what will be removed.

DCP_0990.jpg

Now the insert depression in the door has been removed.

DCP_0991.jpg

You can get a better view of what I’m doing from the inside

DCP_0994.jpg

Quite an unsightly job; Oh and btw, plastic is a bitch to cut with a rotary tool. It melts as the cutting wheel spins so you end up with large deposits of melted plastic above and beneath the cut. However, if you allow a few seconds to cool the deposits just snap off under pressure.

DCP_0992.jpg

Ahh, and here is my pseudo Dremelicious rotary tool. In this pic (may not be able to make it out) the cutting wheel has cracked because the friction caused the rotation to stop and it bent. Word of guidance, don’t cheap on your rotary tool. GET A DREMEL.

DCP_0993.jpg

And now the bottom grill is removed (this one was hard) Perhaps now you can share in my vision. The hole you now see will be lined with the window tint treatment I outlined above. I know you think it sounds crude, but I don’t care about you and I know it will look very professional and original.

I then used the rotary too to grind down any edges.

DCP_0994.jpg

Door before grinding

DCP_0995.jpg

Door after grinding

DCP_0997.jpg

Bottom before grinding

DCP_0998.jpg

Bottom after grinding

DCP_1000.jpg

One problem I encountered is a difference in surface texture from the door to the rest of the panel. As such, I decided to sand the whole mess down so the paint would not look mismatch. After all I want this case to look very professional. This is a cursory sanding with 150 grit paper (took eons). I’ll do another sanding with 220 later today.

DCP_0999.jpg

BTW don’t forget to remove all the buttons and LEDs from the case before you sand the damn thing. The one remaining is the power switch which proved resistant I had to break the two tabs on either side to remove it (hope that won’t be an issue later).

DCP_1003.jpg

After the madness a thought ensued. What if I use the dismembered grill as a blowhole grill for the top of the case? Yes, yes that would be excellent. I placed it up top so you can get an idea of how it would appear. I’m in debate over whether to paint it chrome or metallic blue. Perhaps you could give me guidance on that.

DCP_1004.jpg

Here is the grill with the accessory door open It will be convenient there. I will replace the mic and headphone port with an Xbox controller port so I can use my Xbox controller on my pc.

We’ll that’s enough for this update. more to come.

hey, nice start, looking pretty good so far :)

I am doing a similar mod with my chieftec type case (remove front panel design and I want to replace it with plexi.)

I will be keeping my eye on this :)

DiZASTiX said:
hey, nice start, looking pretty good so far :)

I am doing a similar mod with my chieftec type case (remove front panel design and I want to replace it with plexi.)

I will be keeping my eye on this :)

funny you mention that because i just decided to use a tinted plexi shield instead o fjust strait tint.

Sweet Case, howd you get all the guts and blood out? will a regular motherboard Fit in that thing? you should have the cd tray pop out of the mouth!

Elmntskater1588 said:
Sweet Case, howd you get all the guts and blood out? will a regular motherboard Fit in that thing? you should have the cd tray pop out of the mouth!

????????????

I'm thinking of chroming this outer shell. Anyone know how much this costs? I found some excellent chrome paint but its $135 usd for 8-oz

em00guy said:
????????????

I'm sure he was refering to the cat in the first pic :)

looks like a good start. and damn, you have some good grammar :cool:

looks good so far. i have the same case but its the black version. i see your door still has the clip that holds the door on. mine broke some how and it usually gets kicked around my room.
i was thinkin about doing the same thing with the door. but i have to finsh my other project first.

flat4 said:
looks good so far. i have the same case but its the black version. i see your door still has the clip that holds the door on. mine broke some how and it usually gets kicked around my room.
i was thinkin about doing the same thing with the door. but i have to finsh my other project first.

I think a lot of us have the same case as that :) I have the black/purple version, cept its now black/silver and soon to be torn up beyond recognition :cool:

Chrome paint isn't really "chrome" but a shiny silver. Real chrome, like what you see on car bumpers, is a multiprocess finishing that can't come in a can. For $135, it should come very close at that price, but still not quite the same. Maybe you could test the paint to see how well it would look before you buy? For that price, I would hate to get something shitty.

Brad4321 said:
Chrome paint isn't really "chrome" but a shiny silver. Real chrome, like what you see on car bumpers, is a multiprocess finishing that can't come in a can. For $135, it should come very close at that price, but still not quite the same. Maybe you could test the paint to see how well it would look before you buy? For that price, I would hate to get something shitty.

I've also heard you can't sand the chrome paint down - it'll turn a dull gray. Anyway, chroming is pretty cheap, isn't it? I'd think you could get the case done for $100 or so, but I really have no idea as I've never really looked into it.

It will cost more like 200 for a chieftec. I did look into getting mine painted. A guy on another forum chromed his for around 200.

JEEVES

Ok, the time has come for a small update. I haven't had much time to work on this project. However, I decided to compose a few sketches to help everyone understand what i'm trying to do. I apologize in advance for my lackluster illustrations.

blusketch.jpg

The large protrusion in the back is the power supply for those two 48v 3 amp blowers I'm sure you noticed. The small dots lining the top grill and front window are small stainless steel 4-40 socket head cap screws that look really nice. I'll post pics soon. The side window design is a work in progress. I'll update you folks as the design evolves.

.:: III Updizzle ::.
Well, alrighty then. It’s been some time since the last update. Nevertheless, work has progressed. Since my last post I’ve finished the installation of the front window. As with many of my deviations I underwent a small change of tactic per the suggestion of another user. I decided that it would be much easier to mount an acrylic window to the front of the case then tint the Acrylic. I found these eye catching socket head cap stainless steel screws that I’ll use to secure the window to the front panel. They give the case an interesting industrial look.

Here are the holes I drilled into the panel with my rotary tool. This took hours to plan measure draw and drill. You can still see the marks from measurement
DCP_1014.jpg

One of the two pieces of acrylic that were used:
DCP_1016.jpg

The bottom panel cut and screwed into place:
DCP_1019.jpg

Side view so you can see the unique screws:
DCP_1020.jpg

Rear view of the panel with the lower acrylic window fitted:
DCP_1022.jpg

Both acrylic windows fitted:
DCP_1023.jpg

Close view of the fitted windows and the socket screws:
DCP_1024.jpg

Front door open:
DCP_1025.jpg

That’s it for today I’ll post some better pics of the front panel tomorrow morning. Incase your wondering i have not tinted the windows yet because i wanted to test fit them first.

I dig those screws. good going with that design.
What type of lighting do you have in mind?

gj on the plexi, i like the look of those screws
i will be looking forward to see this finished

cool idea with the screws, adds more of an industrial look and feel to your case :D
looks shweet so far, cant wait to see the finished product :D

Wow you are doing a fantastic job. I can't wait to see you new pics, I have the exact same case and I'm getting the urge to mod again...

I did a similar thing to my antec clon, but when I test fited the plexi it wouldn't clear my fan controller. Your project has given me the idea of grinding down the plastic before trying to attach the plexi. BTW those screws are awesome!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

SacLANd said:
I dig those screws. good going with that design.
What type of lighting do you have in mind?

Not positive about the lighting. Inside the case i'll use some bright blue cold cathodes and some super bright leds. It's important that everything remains hidden though. I'm not sure about the front panel however. thhe problem is i'll be using a mirror tint so it will not be easy to make light escape the front panel without degrading the mirror effect. I'll also have to somehow diffuse the light so that the light lglows evenly from the panel.

Hot diggity damnation!!! MY BLOWERS ARE HERE. Ok so my EBM blowers arrived and they are MASSIVE! I’m starting to be concerned that these leviathan’s will bring the aluminum case frame to its mercy. Over the next week I’ll be working on a method to power these 48v, 3 amp beasts. Below are some pics to bring the absurdity of my creation to reference.

Found the kitty dry humping my size 12 sandal so placed one blower down for a photo op:
DCP_1032.jpg

I had my brother hold both fans in what will be their approximate resting place. As you can see I am a madman for doing this to my innocent rig. This really gives reference to the scale of these things. They submit to gravity like i never imagined, my brother who is 6’4” was straining hard to hold the blowers in place:
DCP_1033.jpg

One more gratuitous kitty shot:
DCP_1029.jpg

Hey someone help me find some bad ass grills for those blowers. 120mm Grills will do the trick.

em,
like the idea of the blowers as far as fan grills go i would custom make some outta plexi (if your not comfortable with that im sure someone here could aid you in the creation of said grills or if you plan on using 2 grills side by side (120mm if i correct) then look into grills for Frozen CPU or Xoide , they have some killer ones but i still like the hand made idea better.

If ya have any idea let me know via PM i have tons of scrap Plexi and a itchy dremel hand ...lol

Later

P.S. i to have a similiar case which was my first mod hehe

I personally like the grills that are already on there.. Maybe just clean them up and paint or shine them or something..

How is that air gonna behave? Tons of air blowing in from opposite sides right at eachother? Is there ducting inside the case?

Looks cool though.. I wanna see this thing completed..

MAXX RS4 said:
I personally like the grills that are already on there.. Maybe just clean them up and paint or shine them or something..

How is that air gonna behave? Tons of air blowing in from opposite sides right at eachother? Is there ducting inside the case?

Looks cool though.. I wanna see this thing completed..

Each fan will be ducted. And the grill is a necessity or this thing will gurgitate my kitty. Think of it as a muzzle.

WOW I wonder how much air those blow... Your case is going to look so awesome with those attached to the sides.

MasiveMunkey said:
WOW I wonder how much air those blow... Your case is going to look so awesome with those attached to the sides.

600cfm each at full voltage

Back