The Essential Software Thread

Taiguy

n00b
did a quick search, and couldn't find anything similar to what I was looking for (maybe didn't look hard enough)

in any case, I just built a new desktop machine in anticipation for the start of college at the end of the month, and besides the usual device drivers, what would you (as a community) recommend I put on?

I'm looking for software to cover all bases. Free or otherwise (although, free is good :D )

In particular - system monitoring, productivity apps, things to make my life easier, multimedia apps, pretty much anything that would be of use without bogging down the system.

thanks!

System monitoring - none, or Motherboard Monitor if you really care

Office app: www.openoffice.org
Music: Foobar2000
Internet Browser: Mozilla Firefox
Text editor (yes, I find it of utmost importance): replace Notepad with notepad2 or Metapad (link escapes me)
Video player: BSPlayer or Media Player Classic
Compression utility: Filzip, I just heard about it tonight. I've used 7-zip in the past.
FTP client: Filezilla
Miscellaneous: some of the Windows XP Power Toys notably TweakUI
Firewall: Kerio PF 2.5, I guess. Not sure, haven't been in Windows for a while, but it was the firewall I last used.
Antivirus: AVG, or Avast I think it was called
Mail client: I used Mozilla Thunderbird
RSS news reader: (saves time of going to websites by reading RSS feeds if available): Feed Reader
Anti-spyware stuff: Lavasoft Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy
CD/DVD writing software: Nero 6 (notice how I recommend a commercial program. It's the best in the Windows world)

Can't think of anything else, anything you had in mind that you particularly need? Just thought of the most general purpose things, without going into specialized stuff (programming tools, image editing, etc).

Daemon Tools - Emulation and Virtual Drives
Winrar - Compressing and such
Ffdshow - Codec pack that will cover everything
Motehrboard Moniter 5 - System temps and otehr system info

My general list so far - if you see anything that can improved upon don't hesitate

WinRAR - all purpose compression tool
WinAMP - music/media
MS Office 2003 - any productivity goals can be taken care of
Norton System Works 2004 - de facto standard
Azureus - best BitTorrent client i've seen
Avant Browser - despite using the IE engine, I like the feel and usability
Windows Blinds - skinning
hkSFV - best file sum checker i've used
Hex Workshop - any misc. hex editing i need to accomplish
MS Studio .net 2003 - programming needs
Trillian Pro - instant messaging taken care of
MINITAB 14 - statistics
NERO - burning
Ad-Aware - essential
Spybot S&D - essential
Zone Alarm - I've used this firewall for a while
PowerDVD - DVD watching
Mathematica 5 - math applications
Adobe Creative Suite - multimedia creation

looking for a good download manager, and any other gizmos or programs that you'd all recommend

El Nacho said:
^^someone doesnt pay for much software do they..... :p

That's quite a lot of commercial software that costs a lot of $. I don't even know why you need VS.NET 2003. Other tools are free.

Not too much to add, I use most of the programs already listed

Utility:
Adobe Acrobat 5 (NOT 6)
Irfanview - image viewing
ICEOWS - compression/decompression

Security:
CurrPorts - open/active ports viewing
Ethereal - LAN traffic monitoring

By the way, I detest Norton Systemworks. Bloated useless crap. I do use Symantec Antivirus though, because with our corporate license I don't have to use a freeware alternative (or pay for something :p ).

- Qualm

Free apps
editpadlite -Editpad (pro version has syntax coloring/hex editing if you wanna pay)
smart ftp -Ftp client
ssh secure shell -My university doesnt have telnet running on the net.
HydraIRC -IRC client (there could be better ones I dont irc much)
Winamp -Music/Video player
Winrar -File compressor/decompressor (lol codec)
Cerberus -FTP server
Apache -HTTP server
giFT -File Sharing (plugin based networks, fasttrack, gnutella, openft)
Gnucleus -File Sharing (gnutella only)
Qtracker -multiplayer server scanner (normally used gamespy3d, but they kicked the bucket)
Cygwin -Unix emulator

Commercial
Adobe Photoshop 6.0 -Image editor
Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 -Programming IDE (I dont like .net, but have both)
Microsoft Office -Word Processing, spreadsheets, crap I dont use.
Microsoft Encarta -Encyclopedia, dictionary/thesaurus, atlas.
Internet Explorer -HTTP browser

I just started name apps I use, heh if your getting apache, check out www.php.net and www.mysql.org.

Some more...

IRC - I haven't used HydraIRC myself, but I've always liked IRSSI. Very lean, but requires Cygwin if you're a Windows user.

SSH - I like PuttySSH. Secureshell is very good too, but Putty loads faster (but doesn't have some features of secureshell like file transfer drag and drop interface).

C++ Compiler - GCC 3.3.x or 3.4x. In Windows, you'll probably use MingW which is the GCC port for Windows

I forgot the link of Microsoft's VS.NET toolkit, which are free tools for compiling C#, VB.net, etc.

More powerful text editor: sciTE

Others: Blackbox for Windows - I don't like it as much as Blackbox + Unix, but it's a complete shell replacement for Windows (changes the interface).

WinRAR - all purpose compression tool
iTunes for music
OpenOffice
BitTornado
Firefox - nothing beats it. ;) has a nice IRC plug in too
UXTheme Multi-Patcher - Windows hack letting you use other skins ;)
Gaim - instant messaging taken care of
NERO - burning
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Zone Alarm
Media Player Classic
AutomaticFileRename
WinWall
Vitrite
ResHacker
Tweak UI
NeXplorer
Customize Folder
CPU-Z
ClocX
AveIcon
CachmanXP
WinMX
VirtualDub Mod version
GIMP
Gmail Notifier
FFDShow
And a few others. So far I paid for a piece of software, it's all freeware or Opensource :)rolleyes: Yes theres a difference, a big difference).

looking for a good download manager, and any other gizmos or programs that you'd all recommend
Google for LeechGet, best DL manager IMO.

Open Source and Freeware

Here are a few little bug-free ones to enhance day to day operation that haven't been mentioned...all edited with what they do. :)

File Targets This is a fantastic shell enhancement that allows you to copy a file or folder to any pre-selected place on your machine. It is very configurable, too.
CCleaner This one offers a quick way to clean up temp files, etc. by right clicking the Recycle Bin, and running the application.
AM-Deadlink Checks favorites or bookmarks to see if they are dead. Then, you can do whatever you decide with the results. It's also a no-brainer to use.
Cute pdf Writer Gives the option to turn whatever into a .pdf file. It is listed like a printer, but it isn't really, of course.
LS TimeSync A small application that sets your clock. You pick from a bunch of servers. I know...there are a zillion of these. Well, this is the best one.
Irfanview Simply the best viewer around. Crop, convert, resample, whatever. Photoshop? What's that? ;)
Leech FTP An FTP client that will multi-thread. Best of all, any idiot with a mouse can work it...Maybe that isn't a plus. Oh, well. It's an old standard that is hard to improve upon.

They are just a few of the great little freeware programs that are out there. I put them on every rig I build...They work on any Windows version, except maybe 3.1.

Some audio/video ones that I like are...

CDex I find that it is really nice for making Ogg Vorbis files fast. It has nice options, and a nice feel about it.
Audiograbber The first ripper ever is also nice for ripping wav files from LPs...or ripping from an incoming stream from anywhere.
Besweet It offers ways to convert this or that audio file to this or that other type of file. Lots of available plugins make it possible to do lots of neat audio conversion stuff...like make a .wav from a .vob, for example.
DVD Decrypter Uhh...It decrypts stuff, like DVD stuff...Yeah Beavis, that's what it does...huh, huh.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sometimes we must correct the limp ones...

Originally Posted by Taiguy
Ad-Aware - essential
Spybot S&D - essential
Correct, but add this one...

Then...

Lord of Shadows in response...lol, why on earth is that essential.
You in the dark, I mean shadows...You are from this planet, right?

People get way too much Spyware. Then, they show up asking us to fix it all. These tools are essential to that end. Often, we even need a HijackThis log, too.

you're right, I don't pay much for software :p

being a student, i get most applications for free or at a highly discounted price. :D

I like the lists you all are giving me, but it would be nice if there was a short one sentence description next to each of the programs though so I could tell what they're for without doing a search for each and every one.

Taiguy said:
... it would be nice if there was a short one sentence description next to each of the programs though so I could tell what they're for without doing a search for each and every one.
OK...above post will be fixed. We aim to please. :D

Here's one I haven't seen anyone mention yet - Miranda is a free/open-source, multi-protocol IM client with all kinds of nice fringe benefits on the side.

• Yahoo
  • MSN / Windows Messenger
  • Jabber
  • IRC
  • WeatherUnderground / WeatherChannel.com Updates
  • Skinnable
  • Able to adjust transparency of the application
One of the best things I like about Miranda is how the customizability seems to be just about endless - the number of available plug-in modules is just incredible for an application that costs nothing.

Best of all, though, it's not Trillian. :cool: Not only do I find it to be more stable & reliable than Trillian, but when one of the many IM services makes an update to their protocol, a new plug-in is often available within hours or days & can be installed simply by dropping a file in a directory.

And again, IT'S FREE - you can't lose.

Hey mosin I just wanted to add something to your list. :)
File Targets This is a fantastic shell enhancement that allows you to copy a file or folder to any pre-selected place on your machine. It is very configurable, too.
I have a reg tweak that does something very similiar, Copy/Move files from the contextual menu.
AM-Deadlink Checks favorites or bookmarks to see if they are dead. Then, you can do whatever you decide with the results. It's also a no-brainer to use.
I use a extension for Firefox that does this too. :D

CrimandEvil said:
I have a reg tweak that does something very similiar, Copy/Move files from the contextual menu.
How can I check this one out? Do you have a link to more info?

CrimandEvil said:
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak965.aspx

I can't remember were I first say it but that pretty much explains it and just in case the FireFox extensions are Bookmark Backup and Bookmark Links Checker.
Thanks. The one one I mentioned, File Targets, lets you add bookmarks to move and copy. I like that. Take a look because you may like it better, too.

I'll try the Firefox extension. Thanks.

mosin said:
Thanks. The one one I mentioned, File Targets, lets you add bookmarks to move and copy. I like that. Take a look because you may like it better, too.
What do you mean? I've never fiddled with my bookmarks outside of FF.

CrimandEvil said:
What do you mean? I've never fiddled with my bookmarks outside of FF.
File Targets bookmarks places on your hard drive to move or copy files and folders. It has nothing to do with Firefox. Sorry for the confusion.

I do believe someone mentioned Foobar2k as a replacement for Winamp - I prefer it as well.

I would get rid of Norton System Works (My dad uses this...I hate it...feels slow, don't care for the interface, feels like it's designed for simpletons) and:

AV: NOD32 or F-secure or Kaspersky or... for free: AVG/other
Firewall: Take your pick... Kerio 2.5, ZA, whatever...

Spyware: Adaware, spybot, spywareblaster, hijackthis. (Yes, ALL of them)

My brother uses Avant Browser: It seems slightly slower than IE for some reason. Am I imagining things?

If you use Bittorrent: Peerguardian or similar program. (Defend against banned IP's affiliated with music/movie/software/government/etc)

thanks for all the suggestions!

first post on my new machine... my athlon-64 3500+ asus a8v combo actually appears to be working quite well :D

adding software for the next few days and configuring the network

keep'm coming!

www.snapfiles.com has a ton of small, free, useful apps. If you ever get bored just check em out, read what users say about them, ect. I use a lot of what people have already posted, so no need to list.

I believe this thread is due for a bump.

Oddly enough, software recommended this time two years ago is still popular and still the best today.

My important programs:

Internet: Firefox
Instant Messaging: AIM v5.5.3595 + DeadAIM v4.5
Music: iTunes
Torrents: uTorrent
Media: PowerDVD 7, Media Player Classic
General Maintainance: Symantec Antivirus Corp, O&O Defrag, Spybot, Ad-Aware,
Misc: Motherboard Monitor, Textpad, MS Office 2003, Nero, WinRAR

TheGamerZ said:
My important programs:

Internet: Firefox
Instant Messaging: AIM v5.5.3595 + DeadAIM v4.5