me - $211 = Audio-Technica ATH-A900

DatHak512

Gawd
okay, i know that i told you guys that i'd review these headphones as soon as i got them, but i've been packing up my room for college, and on the road to iowa. it's been hell. but you don't want to hear about that, you're probably more interested in how these headphones sound.

sound quality: these easily produce the best sound i've ever heard. i'm either playing them from my PowerBook laptop or an older iPod, and before i left home i was using them with an el-cheapo Technica 5 disc changer w/ optical out that fed into a sony receiver thats about 2 years old (all sources un-amped: i own no amp). for the trip i encoded a few of my newest favorite albums (Lostprophets, Powerman5000, and Kill Hannah) in apple lossless, so i've got CD-quality audio on the road. i'm hearing stuff that i've never head before in these songs.

i've been looking for high quality headphones for a long time now, and after lots of research it was looking like the A900s were the way to go. i've had a pair of aiwa closed-can headphones that i bought from bestbuy a long long time ago for about 70 bucks, and i wore those suckers into the ground. a week or so later (about two weeks ago now) i got my A900s in the mail straight from Japan. and these babies are audio nirvana. they sound so much better than anything i've ever heard before. granted, this is my first pair of real real headphones. but still. they kick ass. my only complaint is that when you turn your head all the way to one side or another, the ear cups lose contact with your skin, and a little more ambient noise is let in. but all headphones do that, and it's to Audio-Technica's credit that they stay on as firmly as they do, yet put so little pressure on your head. and while i'm talking about sound isolation, these headphones do very well with keeping the outside sound out, and the inside sound in. even unplugged, you would have trouble hearing what someone was saying across the room. now you don't want to do any head-banging in these cans, cause they'd probably fall off, but as long as you keep them straight on your head you should be quite alright. they're very very comfortable: i've fallen asleep in them several times. (true that was in the car, but they're still very comfortable when you've got them on for hours at a time). the construction, as other users have found, is quite solid. i don't read much Japanese, so i was unable to read the instructions or any of that stuff on the box, but i had no problems getting them to fit perfectly. the way A-T has their headphones, you don't have to worry about getting them to fit correctly, because it's spring loaded, if that makes sense. i don't mean they spring to keeps the cans over your ears, because all headphones do that, but i mean they use springs where other manufactures use adjustable headbands. it's sorta hard to explain, but there are pads that rest on the top of your head, and since they're spring loaded they keep the rest of the headset from falling. it's pretty innovative, and it works well. overall i am extremely pleased with my purchase, and i'd do it again in a heart-beat. i think i'm a fan of Audio-Technica for life now. also thanks to everyone here for your advice and help /w this.. happy listening, and i hope this will encourage anyone considering buying from A-T or the A900 to buy it 'cause you won't regret it.

<edited some of my crappy spelling>

Aye, they're pretty nice cans alright, I prefer them to the CD3000s which cost at least twice as much. Get a decent amp for them and they get even better :) MisterX can help you out, his PPA with a triad diamond buffer makes them sing!

commando said:
Aye, they're pretty nice cans alright, I prefer them to the CD3000s which cost at least twice as much. Get a decent amp for them and they get even better :) MisterX can help you out, his PPA with a triad diamond buffer makes them sing!

heh, i don't know if i'm up for that just yet, or if my wallet is. one question though, Mister X, do your amps run on batt power, or just ac line (i would assume run through an ac adapter..?) i'll do a search to see if i can find any pics of your amps as desk space is a premium for me now ; )

DatHak512 said:
heh, i don't know if i'm up for that just yet, or if my wallet is. one question though, Mister X, do your amps run on batt power, or just ac line (i would assume run through an ac adapter..?) i'll do a search to see if i can find any pics of your amps as desk space is a premium for me now ; )

He can make it do whatever you want :)

well i couldn't find any pics, but if there arn't any up yet, don't worry about it. i'm not too serious about getting one at this point, as i don't have the $100-$500 to drop at this time. but i'll deffinatly give a shout if i'm wanting for some more impact.

How it looks really isn't that important, it's what it does to the music really. They just look like silver boxes mostly, with a couple of plugs and switches on the back and a couple more on the front. MisterX has pics up I just can't remember the URL.

commando said:
How it looks really isn't that important, it's what it does to the music really. They just look like silver boxes mostly, with a couple of plugs and switches on the back and a couple more on the front. MisterX has pics up I just can't remember the URL.

that's cool.. i'm not really concerned with asthetics, i was just curious as to the dimensions of the thing

Back