constant explorer.exe errors....

Xenozx

2[H]4U
exactly as the title says. i right click on a folder explorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. everything comes back and right click again and same thing. eventually it will stop. if i go to file and click i get explorer error. its really getting on my nerves. Also ill be cruising the internet or playing a game. Ill close my internet explorer page or another program and my background freezes. i cant click on any of my desktop icons or any thing down near my start button or the start button its self. If i go into task manager and end explorer.exe it fixes the problem. usually i only use XP without all the patches and stuff and ive never had a problem. since a fresh install a friend talked me into the patches and i did them and its been like this ever since. I have sp1. i did not and will never install sp2. any idea's peeps?

Care to share the actual error?

*pulls out magic hat* but since you want a bunch of guesses... Spyware, or virii?

usually i only use XP without all the patches and stuff and ive never had a problem.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dear GOD! OS patches are NOT optional... Service packs like SP2, sure it's ok to wait a bit, but it's still NOT optional, neither are patches.

Without patches you are vulnerable to exploits, which at the very least, will allow someone else to take COMPLETE control of your machine with ease.

Do you even have a firewall? Hardware or software?

My psychic debugging powers tell me:
You have a wierd object registered with explorers space. Please update to the latest fixes, which I don't think will fix the problem. Can you put a minidump somewhere I can get to it?

He probably has 75 running processes, 53 of which are malware. And a few viruses/trojans/worms to boot. :rolleyes:
For Christ's sake people, quit trying to jump on the "M$ sUx0rz and their updates will crash my computer" bandwagon and run the updates.
Also:
NOT INSTALLING WINDOWS UPDATES WILL NOT MAKE YOUR MACHINE FASTER
(common misconception I run into at work)

Do you get problems at stock speeds? I see you are running quite an OC and maybe something is getting corupted.

ok i am very good with computers and it is not spyware. I reformatted this machine when i got my 6800 ultra. since i was coming from a 9700 pro. I have spysweeper running 24/7 i also have adaware. I dont use a software firewall, but i do have a router with one built in so if someone decides to hack me they will get my router first and unless they know what they are doing then i dont think they will get through to my computer. Also my ISP is a dynamic host and they change my IP address like 1nce a week. have norton antivirus too. so my machine is watched, plus i work for Comcast in their Online dept so i know all the crap that can happen and i will say that this is windows itself and not spyware/or any kind of hack.

i have 32 running processes. that includes many webpages and programs i have running with everything shut down its about 30. None of which are spyware.

THIS MACHINE IS PATCHED! i patched it as soon as i installed sp1 and what i said was (I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN THE WINDOWS INSTALL WAS NOT PATCHED.)

IT SEEMS TO HAVE STARTED AFTER I INSTALLED THE PATCHES. lIKE RIGHT AFTER FORMAT.

im not clocked that high right now, i am clocked at 3.45 ghz now. my vid card i game at 450/1150. so i dropped that too. Even uber overclocked i did not have this problem only since the thing mentioned above.

When it does error out if it helps to mention it says something about oggdll causeed the problem. get the exact file name next time it happends but it does start with ogg.

EDIT

2.45 ghz.

one other problem that might save me a different post.

when i go into my task manager msmsgs.exe is always running. It is windows messager. Anyway i know its linked to outlook express. I went in and told it not to load it. It seems like its always taking up 20 mbs of mem and even after i end the process for it, give it 5 minutes and some how it will magically reapear. I dont even need to open outlook for this to happen. I even have it disabled from MSCONFIG. i dont understand whats up with it. any idea's?

Xenozx said:
when i go into my task manager msmsgs.exe is always running. It is windows messager. Anyway i know its linked to outlook express. I went in and told it not to load it. It seems like its always taking up 20 mbs of mem and even after i end the process for it, give it 5 minutes and some how it will magically reapear. I dont even need to open outlook for this to happen. I even have it disabled from MSCONFIG. i dont understand whats up with it. any idea's?

Run this script: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

Or, follow the directions and do it manually. It's not a virus, you can scan it to make sure. Windows XP has a feature to integrate a M$ passport with a user account. For some reason M$ integrated this in to Messenger. If you remove it from the run section of the registry and you have the Passport thing set up, it will keep starting it's self up. SP2 keeps it running as well. The script will take care of that.

Ok this is a shot in the dark here, but do you have Webroot Spy Sweeper installed? That could be causing your explorer.exe errors because it was happening with me.

lil layzie said:
Ok this is a shot in the dark here, but do you have Webroot Spy Sweeper installed? That could be causing your explorer.exe errors because it was happening with me.

ill head your advice. It was installed and It errored out a couple days ago talking sillyness about being damaged so i just msconfig'd it. But it is still installed so i will remove it and see if anything changes. thansk for the idea.

Xenozx said:
ill head your advice. It was installed and It errored out a couple days ago talking sillyness about being damaged so i just msconfig'd it. But it is still installed so i will remove it and see if anything changes. thansk for the idea.

Oh no, it's not the program itself. It's one of the settings in the options that causes this error. Now that I know you have it installed, go to the options and uncheck "Add Sweep for Spyware to Windows Explorer Context Menu"
spysweeper.jpg

There seems to be a problem with it because it attaches itself to the right click menu, causing the crashes.

This is Version 3 Build 129 btw.

yea it really only happend after i right clicked. I did uninstall it and everything seems fine. I am going to reinstall and do exactly what you said. Thank you for the information.

Back