Doom 3 ...simply the best looking game ever

Ricko

Weaksauce
I've seen a few disenchanted fans out there about the game. Whatever,,,it is simply the best looking game ever....nothing is really even close. After palying this game...it's hard to go back to Farcry....Doom 3 has taken computer graphics to a whole new level...period.

Ricko said:
I've seen a few disenchanted fans out there about the game. Whatever,,,it is simply the best looking game ever....nothing is really even close. After palying this game...it's hard to go back to Farcry....Doom 3 has taken computer graphics to a whole new level...period.

It"$ Teh s3x!!!111

You mention disenchantment, but you don't say a word about how good the overall game is; just how good it looks.

Perhaps insight into the disenchantment, eh? :)

I think the Doom3 engine overall looks the best, but Doom 3 doesn't look as good as Hl2, but I expect another game based on the Doom3 engine to look better than Hl2. Unless Vavle can do some magic with 3dc and up the IQ from what i have seen.

It would be nice to see DOOM3 engine with all softshadows. :cool:

Or maybe light that bounces :rolleyes: But I'm being picky :p

Just imagine when there are games and system that will push the doom 3 engine to it's limits.

Ricko said:

Amen brother. Amen.

I think the game play ain't bad either.

Actually I disagree with you ... I think farcry, ut2003-4, painkiller etc look better... and btw how in the hell would you know it looks good you cant see anything. Ok ok ya its looks good but I still think farcry looks better.

Doom 3 has real time shadow everything. As well as bumpmap and specular everything. But it would bog down in large environments. Farcry and Painkiller are better for large environments.

All three are great in their own aspects.

I've seen a lot of people complain that it doesn't look as good because it's an enclosed station, and there isn't any expansive outdoor terrain. Really, what would you expect on Mars?!?!? It's part of the story. They made a story that takes place in a station on Mars. It looks about as close to what that would look like as anyone's going to get with current hardware, so I've never understood that argument. Nothing looks better. The parts in hell look incredible too. I've see people argue that FarCry looks better, but it really doesn't. It's a completely different scenario, location, and style. If you want to talk just about image quality, texture quality, and the other quantifiable comparisons that could be made, Doom 3 wins. Not to say that Far Cry doesn't look amazing, or that I don't like it. I do, but Doom 3 does in fact look better than any other game I've played, seen, etc. (Based on things that can be compared.) Half Life 2 is going to be similar in that it can't be directly compared.

Of course, that's just the way I see it. :D

It wouldnt bog down in large environments, but you would need to do some crafty vis work and lower triangle counts / visible lights. A repeating texture doesnt bog down anything by being used on large planes.

I think something worth mentioning is the fact that no-one has really seen how well Doom 3 can look yet because it has detail settings on it which no video card that is currently out can run. The highest detail setting requires a 512 meg video card.

Wouldn't say it's the best game ever. All it's got over other modern games is lumpier walls. The physics are pretty lame too.

Mister Natural said:
I think something worth mentioning is the fact that no-one has really seen how well Doom 3 can look yet because it has detail settings on it which no video card that is currently out can run. The highest detail setting requires a 512 meg video card.
the difference between high and ultra is moot

The outdoor parts there are ARE amazing though. You don't get to look at them long because of the whole oxygen thing. That would be a good place to use a cheat just to check it out more.

I really think you gotta see DOOM3 at high settings too to appreciate it fully.

Yeah thats great. I would have taken a more compelling storyline, better gameplay, or a game with multiplayer over the nice graphics.

Mister Natural said:
How would you know until a card running ultra detail would prove that?
:rolleyes:

My 6800GT runs in ultra detail
but that doesn't mean shit. cause in ultra detail you really need a 512meg card, so NO ONE knows what doom3 REALLY looks like in ultra detail
also ultra shadowing II is not enabled by default. so when id comes out with a patch
for the extra stuff they left out. we won't know, now will we?

Arguing over subjective things such as game graphics is pointless. Someone could come in and say they like the old school graphics of SNES. There is no right or wrong, just which engine is more technically advanced. That should be able to be proven.

I liked Farcry but really, if you took out the fancy water its just a small step above all the other jungle combat sims. Doom 3 blows the other engines out of the water bar none, the base rooms and corridors are filled with eye candy and atmosphere. Another example is the level of realism in the guns of Doom 3. If you take a close look at them under lighting they can almost look photo realistic, expecially the rocket launcher. Try the same with Farcry or the Half Life 2 clips and they just don't compare.

Mister Natural said:
How would you know until a card running ultra detail would prove that?
:rolleyes:

because all ultra is not compressing the maps. but the compression in high verses ultra is barely noticable. Put on ultra now and look. You REALLY have to look for stuff

Until I see water in the doom 3 engine...Farcry wins.

*i know this is a retarded arguement because it's all opinion :) but egh...fun anyway. Plus I'm bored right now :p *

Netrat33 said:
because all ultra is not compressing the maps. but the compression in high verses ultra is barely noticable. Put on ultra now and look. You REALLY have to look for stuff

Until I see water in the doom 3 engine...Farcry wins.

*i know this is a retarded arguement because it's all opinion :) but egh...fun anyway. Plus I'm bored right now :p *

what is the big deal with water! come on, because of one thing.

LordBritish said:
D3 looks great but all it's greatness for the most part was in the dark :D

it being dark is what made it scary.. shit, if you could walk around with stage lights, how fun and scary would that be??? man, when the lights flickered in some spots, it looked soo cool

Well the lighting effects and the sound are the best but because of the low polycount and the somewhat low textures, I would say that overall Far Cry looks just as good. In the future, I am sure games based off the D3 engine will look better than ones made off the FC engine.

The further I get into Doom3 the more amazing it gets. Just went though one part and youre looking out windows. Have to say, looks very impressive.
FarCry is alright. Cant wait to see what the next patch does and enables. Might make it even more enjoyable. However, saying the water is the main thing??? no.. I just cant see that.

Finally, how the heck can you compair two games already out to a game thats not?? IF/When halflife2 finally shows up then evaluate and then see what is what.
Do believe Ive already read theyve done away with the deforming landscape. Too bad, thought that would be very excellent.

Over all with all these new engines, video cards. We the users are having much more rewarding experiences. Just think where we will be in say 3 years.

LordVampyre said:
The further I get into Doom3 the more amazing it gets. Just went though one part and youre looking out windows. Have to say, looks very impressive.
FarCry is alright. Cant wait to see what the next patch does and enables. Might make it even more enjoyable. However, saying the water is the main thing??? no.. I just cant see that.

Finally, how the heck can you compair two games already out to a game thats not?? IF/When halflife2 finally shows up then evaluate and then see what is what.
Do believe Ive already read theyve done away with the deforming landscape. Too bad, thought that would be very excellent.

Over all with all these new engines, video cards. We the users are having much more rewarding experiences. Just think where we will be in say 3 years.

the next ID engine :p

Ricko said:
Whatever,,,it is simply the best looking game ever....nothing is really even close.

Thats whats people said about hmm lets see here...
EVERY SINGLE GOOD LOOKING GAME BEFORE DOOM 3!
Just wait another year graphics are going to be even better then we will
have people saying the same thing.

What I find funny is that most people do not even play the game on the highest settings yet they seem to be able to compare. The way to compare is max to max, not normal to normal.

Back