XP Remote Desktop locks the remote PC after disconnect

let me know if you find out but i just sign back in i don't see any settings to let me keep the screen up and just move the mouse around like a vnc program would

Disable this meaning disable remote desktop or stop it from locking? I'd take a look at what's running if you want to make it quit locking. Maybe change the settings around like the option to bring printers to you (automatically turned on). Doh I just figured out what you meant, lock as in security lock. No way around it, its literally no different then you logging off as if you were in front of it. You will want to use something like VNC or Radmin instead.

OldPueblo said:
Disable this meaning disable remote desktop or stop it from locking? I'd take a look at what's running if you want to make it quit locking. Maybe change the settings around like the option to bring printers to you (automatically turned on). Doh I just figured out what you meant, lock as in security lock. No way around it, its literally no different then you logging off as if you were in front of it. You will want to use something like VNC or Radmin instead.

I have Radmin but it doesn't scale the display of the remote PC like Remote Desktop does. UltraVNC does scaling but it's way ugly and every VNC version I've tried is very slow compare to Radmin and Remote Desktop. I guess I'm SOL.

error-in-excellence said:
I have Radmin but it doesn't scale the display of the remote PC like Remote Desktop does. UltraVNC does scaling but it's way ugly and every VNC version I've tried is very slow compare to Radmin and Remote Desktop. I guess I'm SOL.

Yeah RDP is the best remote software there is, but it does have its limits. Now, Win2k/Win2k3 server allows concurrent connections and word on the street was that MS was contemplating adding two concurrent sessions ability to XP. They decided not to though. :(

Don't disconnect. Go to the start menu, click windows security, and logoff.

ktwebb said:
Don't disconnect. Go to the start menu, click windows security, and logoff.

That just brings up the Task Manager. :confused:

I have heard that if I logoff instead of disconnect that it will prevent the workstation from being locked, but doesn't that also kill any programs that were started with the Remote Desktop session?

Yeah, if you want to keep apps running then you'll have to disconnect. Windows Security/Task Manager will allow you to logoff. No way to just leave the desktop up unlocked when disconnecting from Remote desktop. None that I am aware of anyway. If you really want to use remote desktop and disconnect without locking the workstation then you'll need to use the already advised VNC, RAdmin, or equivelant. Not very secure but either works pretty well from my experience. If you go with VNC I recommend TightVNC. Good compression with TightVNC.

Edit: Well, you could use something like SMS or Zenworks. Server based and pretty expensive. You didn't really give alot of details of your scenario or what your trying to accomplish so I figured I'd throw that out there. Well beyond the basic question anyway. That would allow you to remote in while the user is logged in, like VNC or RAdmin.

ktwebb said:
Yeah, if you want to keep apps running then you'll have to disconnect. Windows Security/Task Manager will allow you to logoff. No way to just leave the desktop up unlocked when disconnecting from Remote desktop. None that I am aware of anyway. If you really want to use remote desktop and disconnect without locking the workstation then you'll need to use the already advised VNC, RAdmin, or equivelant. Not very secure but either works pretty well from my experience. If you go with VNC I recommend TightVNC. Good compression with TightVNC.

Edit: Well, you could use something like SMS or Zenworks. Server based and pretty expensive. You didn't really give alot of details of your scenario or what your trying to accomplish so I figured I'd throw that out there. Well beyond the basic question anyway. That would allow you to remote in while the user is logged in, like VNC or RAdmin.

Here's my whole spiel copied from another forum:

error-in-excellence said:
I've been using radmin for a while now and it's a very good remote administration program. I especially like the file transfer and telnet modes. The one major problem is has it that it does not scale the screen resolution of the remote PC. I run 1024x768 at work (shitty monitor) and 1600x1200 at home (good monitor). If I radmin to my home PC from work, the 1600x1200 remote screen resolution is almost totally unmanageable from the 1024x768 monitor. Manually changing the screen resolution on the remote end everytime I radmin into the PC is not an option because it is cumbersome and I have dual monitors on the PC so it's just a huge PITA.

I have recently tried using Windows XP Remote Desktop and I've found that it will automatically scale the resolution down or up and it makes the screen and text fit perfectly. That's exactly what I need, but Remote Desktop has its own share of problems.

1. It locks the computer at the remote end once you end your Remote Desktop session. This is unacceptable as I have no reason to lock my home PC and locking the workstation prevents radmin connections.

2. The reason I still need radmin access is because Remote Desktop also locks down the display on the remote end once you've logged in. I have an HTPC at home which I always radmin into when I'm controlling it. I have a laptop on my coffee table which is a perfect way to wirelessly control that PC. Much better than using a wireless KB/mouse. I need to be able to see what's going on with the display on the remote PC as I control it.

So basically I'm caught between features I need from radmin and features I need from Remote Desktop. As I've said before, the stupid workstation locking of Remote Desktop kills future attempts to log in via radmin until the workstation is unlocked.

I have heard a couple of things:

1. There is an option somewhere for Remote Desktop to not lock the computer on the remote end upon disconnect. Where can I enable this?

2. Terminal Services will allow the display on the remote end to still work while being remotely connected. Can I install Terminal Services on XP Pro?

Also, are there any other remote administration programs that will scale up/down resolutions like Remote Desktop?

:eek:

This issue never really bugged me all that much onaccounta it doesn't prevent me from connecting to future remote sessions and it doesn't kill any programs I had running. I don't see what the issue is.

However, if locking the station locally bugs you that much, instead of disconnecting remote desktop, bring up the task manager in your remote session by right clicking the taskbar and selecting "task manager" and then select "shutdown", then "restart".

if you have your primary user set to automatically log in, and all your required apps are configured to launch on startup, this would solve your problem of the workstation being locked whever you disconnect a session, provided the reboot doesn't throw a monkey in your wrench.

i heard there's a regedit for service pack 2 that can enable multiple concurrent sessions also. this may be worth looking into.

pureevilmatt said:
i heard there's a regedit for service pack 2 that can enable multiple concurrent sessions also. this may be worth looking into.

I've tried the so called regedit and could not get it to work.

The regedit trick does not work, expicially if you are on a domain, because fast user switching and the annoying welcome screen are disabled. The problems you are encountering are just effects of the way that RDP works, i have not heard of any way that you can prevent it from locking your workstation after you disconnect, if someone else needs to use it just log off then disconnect and they will be able to log on. As for the whole HTPC thing, if it is just music you are playing then you can tell the RDP client to leave sound at remote computer, but as for video you would have to look into something like VNC, RDP is more of a remote management/admin utility that gives administrators the ability to work on machines without having to physically sit down at one and its all built in and secure with XP/2k3. For remote control software which it appears you want VNC is really your only option, there really isnt a way to change the way RDP behaves.

pureevilmatt said:
This issue never really bugged me all that much onaccounta it doesn't prevent me from connecting to future remote sessions and it doesn't kill any programs I had running. I don't see what the issue is.

However, if locking the station locally bugs you that much, instead of disconnecting remote desktop, bring up the task manager in your remote session by right clicking the taskbar and selecting "task manager" and then select "shutdown", then "restart".

if you have your primary user set to automatically log in, and all your required apps are configured to launch on startup, this would solve your problem of the workstation being locked whever you disconnect a session, provided the reboot doesn't throw a monkey in your wrench.

An issue is that many PVR applications (ATI, Huppage, SnapStream) won't record if the computer is locked / not logged in.

Back