Modded my 6800GT's BIOS.....happy as Heck

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
As the name implies, I just finished modding my 6800GT's BIOS, and it couldn't have been easier. There are a few things you can accomplish by going through the general process I've outlined below.....and I'll distinguish between them after the "step by step". What I was going after was an increase to my cards core voltage, to try and get a little more OC out of my baby before I did my cooling mods. By default the 6800GT carries a core voltage of 1.3v.....whereas the Ultra comes with a stock voltage of 1.4v.....guess where I'm going with this. ;)

*** Before I go any farther let me just say that while this mod WAS extremely simple.....nothing is gauranteed, and I have still heard of/seen things go wrong with something this straight forward. I will take no responsibility for anything that happens as a result of anyone trying the below mod(s) and I urge you to proceed at your own risk. ***

That being said, here's what I just went through to get my core running at 1.4v:

1) Download nVflash here.
2) Extract nvflash and put the contents on a floppy disk. Use a bootdisk on startup and when you're at the command prompt with the nvflash disk in the drive type "a:\nvflash -b backup original.rom" without the quotes......this will backup your cards current BIOS to disk, we'll work with this in a second.
3) Get back on the net and download OmniExtremeEdit FX v1.5.
4) Next we'll be using OmniExtremeEdit to open the ROM file on the floppy, which is your cards factory BIOS.....make a backup copy of the original BIOS if you'd like.
5) Load OmniExtremeEdit and load up the ROM file you saved......on the left hand side of the screen where it says "VGPU" change the 3D value to 1.4v.
6) Save the moddified BIOS with a simple name like "modded.rom" or something you can remember and copy it to the floppy disk with nvflash.
7) Go back through your boot sequence and get to the command prompt again.....this time type "a:\nvflash modded.rom" (if you named your saved BIOS something else, simply insert your filename instead of "modded".
8) Confirm the flash, and it'll let you know when it's done.....restart your comp, and when you boot up, your card will be running at a 3D voltage of 1.4v. What this means is that when you run over to overclock the "3D clock" on your card, you SHOULD have some extra headroom to work with.

A good way to quickly check if the mod worked is to do an Auto-Detect of your clock rates in Coolbits, hopefully you'll be pleasently surprised. Personally, my card went from a stock Auto Detect of 366/1025 all the way up to an Auto Detect of 425/1150.....and I couldnt be happier.

I found this a LOT easier then downloading a BIOS for my card that was already set with the voltages I wanted, and there are actually a couple other things you can use this same procedure to accomplish.

- During step 5, instead of altering the VGPU, look farther to the right where it says "Clock Rates"
- If you are 110% sure that you already have a certain overclock on your card nailed down, you can enter it into the 3D fields.....essentially making your desired numbers into your new stock 3D clock speeds.
- The same thing can be done to alter the 2D clock, but I have yet to really find a use for this.

As I said, these mods are not going to be for everyone, but those of you who come away with a successfull "run" here should be more then pleased, just as I was.

I strongly urge people who do NOT have water cooling not to go above 1.4v on the GPU, jumping to 1.5v seems to raise even idle temps by about 10C.....putting that much more load on that poor little aluminum cooler. Anyone running an extravagent air cooler or h2O on their GT's might want to try out 1.5v to see how much more they gain out of it.....but as I said before, proceed with caution.

I hope that this was at least a little helpfull or informative for anyone who might have been thinking about this, and I'm proud to be here as living proof that even someone who hasn't had very much luck modding video cards can walk away from this with a smile on their face. :D

Although my case cooling is rather unique from any stock setup, I thought I'd let you guys know what kind of temperature differences I'm seeing after the voltmod and addition overclock.

Right out of the box (at stock clocks) my 6800GT was sitting on an idle temp of 51C, and a max load of 67C. After my semi-mild overclock up to 400/1030 my idle was relatively unchanged, and my load temp climbed slightly to 71C.

After raising the cards core voltage by .1v and bumping it all the way up to 425/1150 I am only seeing an idle temp rise of 2C.....up to 53C, and a new max load reading of 78C, not to bad when you really think about it.

Considering I see many other people around here alREADY running their cards at over 80C (and the temp warning on the card is like 120C) load.....I'm very tempted to redo the BIOS mod tonight and try out 1.5v, just to see how far the card'll go.....or if the temps will be to much for the stock cooler to handle while still producing an even higher overclock. We'll see how it goes, and I'll let you guys know tonight how I do at 1.5v with the stock cooler. One thing is for sure though, you can bet your asses I'll be running at 1.5v when I get my cooling mods done to the GT.....I can hardly wait. :cool:

Good that it worked for you, but it made my o/c worse on my BFG 6800 GT. After flashing, the card was able to autodetect at 440/1.20 from 427/1.19. Manually, I was able to up that to 451/1.21. The card would run fine in Doom3, but would crash in 3Dmark03 & Farcry. Even at previous safe 427/1.19, the 3Dmark03 & Farcry would crash. Flash back to original and everything is back to normal.

Myzhi said:
Good that it worked for you, but it made my o/c worse on my BFG 6800 GT. After flashing, the card was able to autodetect at 440/1.20 from 427/1.19. Manually, I was able to up that to 451/1.21. The card would run fine in Doom3, but would crash in 3Dmark03 & Farcry. Even at previous safe 427/1.19, the 3Dmark03 & Farcry would crash. Flash back to original and everything is back to normal.

Just goes to show that nothing IS for sure here....but I'm glad you at least gave it a shot.

lol after my flash my card autodetected at 461/1.8. Of course it crash on the first 3D game i tested those settings at. Had to settle for 450/1.2 ;)

DanD said:
lol after my flash my card autodetected at 461/1.8. Of course it crash on the first 3D game i tested those settings at. Had to settle for 450/1.2 ;)

yeah, I've seen a lot of ppl's cards autodetecting WAY to high.

Was that 450/1200 after the mod? if so, what was your clock before it?

Keep the success (or otherwise) stories comin guys, its good to hear from you.

cornelious0_0 said:
yeah, I've seen a lot of ppl's cards autodetecting WAY to high.

Was that 450/1200 after the mod? if so, what was your clock before it?

Keep the success (or otherwise) stories comin guys, its good to hear from you.

450/1200 after the mod. I was running at 440/1200 before the mod so it helped squeek out a few more mhz out of the core. The ram doesn't want to go any higher still.

DanD said:
450/1200 after the mod. I was running at 440/1200 before the mod so it helped squeek out a few more mhz out of the core. The ram doesn't want to go any higher still.

I'm actually surprised at my memory myself.....1030 up to 1150 from raising the GPU voltage .1v.....who woulda thought..... :p

DermicSavage said:
this thread needs a sticky, very useful info

Well, I've only received notice from a couple [H]'ers about successes with the modding.....and one or two I came across before I did mine up. But yeah, who knows who'll come across it hey? ;)

just did mine, out of the box it did 426/1150...

uped the core to 1.5v now im at 472/1150...

sugsess id say....no i jsut need a volt mod to get some real hardcire speeds,....but im in no hurry as at stock clock, i kicks ass..

BTW: i did mod and load the newer evga bios and flashef it to my card...

mines a PNY6800GT

I(illa Bee said:
just did mine, out of the box it did 426/1150...

uped the core to 1.5v now im at 472/1150...

sugsess id say....no i jsut need a volt mod to get some real hardcire speeds,....but im in no hurry as at stock clock, i kicks ass..

BTW: i did mod and load the newer evga bios and flashef it to my card...

mines a PNY6800GT

I agree man, it DOES kick ass at stock clocks....but since when is that considered fun around here? :p

Nice to see such a success from your flash.....but then again, what kind of temps have you got right now, I'm not sure if my card itself didn't like 1.5v, or it was heating up to much.....cus during the autodetect (and after it) the comp itself would keep locking up for a second and then going, and then locking up again.

Maybe I'll try 1.5v again and just do the OC manually......who knows. I mean, I know what I'm doing, and taking it slow I'm not in any danger....so I guess it couldn't hurt.

Hell, If I could take this thing to 450MHz for benching without my cooling mods I'd be happy as hell......again. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
I agree man, it DOES kick ass at stock clocks....but since when is that considered fun around here? :p

Nice to see such a success from your flash.....but then again, what kind of temps have you got right now, I'm not sure if my card itself didn't like 1.5v, or it was heating up to much.....cus during the autodetect (and after it) the comp itself would keep locking up for a second and then going, and then locking up again.

Maybe I'll try 1.5v again and just do the OC manually......who knows. I mean, I know what I'm doing, and taking it slow I'm not in any danger....so I guess it couldn't hurt.

Hell, If I could take this thing to 450MHz for benching without my cooling mods I'd be happy as hell......again. ;)

Cooling...nothing much, just 15c water... :) my temps load at 1.5v, were 29c acoriding to NVIDIA drivers, 22c accourding to my thermal sensor..

Buy really, i droped the water cooling all together (big PC70 of water cooling goodness is gone), i just hooked up a loop to my GPU, the water system hangs out the side of the case.......eventully ill hook up a air setup so i can move the case..the water is cooled with a cooler out of a drinking fountian.

Ill drop it back to 1.4 when in done playing, well depending on the air setup i get going...

I(illa Bee said:
Cooling...nothing much, just 15c water... :) my temps load at 1.5v, were 29c acoriding to NVIDIA drivers, 22c accourding to my thermal sensor..

Buy really, i droped the water cooling all together (big PC70 of water cooling goodness is gone), i just hooked up a loop to my GPU, the water system hangs out the side of the case.......eventully ill hook up a air setup so i can move the case..the water is cooled with a cooler out of a drinking fountian.

Ill drop it back to 1.4 when in done playing, well depending on the air setup i get going...

sounds nice......but man....that sux to hear about the PC70, I always loved that thing. :)

I can hardly wait to see what kind of temps I'll be able to pull with that NV68 block and the rad setup I wanna do. ;) Fun stuff, thx for helping to keep my dream alive. :cool:

cornelious0_0 said:
sounds nice......but man....that sux to hear about the PC70, I always loved that thing. :)

I can hardly wait to see what kind of temps I'll be able to pull with that NV68 block and the rad setup I wanna do. ;) Fun stuff, thx for helping to keep my dream alive. :cool:

that danger den block is figgin scweet... mine is a getton zipp tied on maze4 GPU block off my old 9800pro.

Question: What dose the throuteling speed do?

Question: And im not too much of a 3dmark freack, but i do liek to see what i get every now and then..i ran 03 and scored 12354...Is that inrange of what i shoudl be doing? i ran it a 435/1150

I(illa Bee said:
that danger den block is figgin scweet... mine is a getton zipp tied on maze4 GPU block off my old 9800pro.

Question: What dose the throuteling speed do?

Question: And im not too much of a 3dmark freack, but i do liek to see what i get every now and then..i ran 03 and scored 12354...Is that inrange of what i shoudl be doing? i ran it a 435/1150

It could have to do with some other little things.....but my sig system at 3.43GHz with the 6800GT @ lower clocks then yours and i got like 12,526......your A64 with those clocks on the GT should theoretically put you above me.....but its nothing major, so i really wouldnt worry 'bout it. Like you said, you're not much of a 3dmark freack. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
It could have to do with some other little things.....but my sig system at 3.43GHz with the 6800GT @ lower clocks then yours and i got like 12,526......your A64 with those clocks on the GT should theoretically put you above me.....but its nothing major, so i really wouldnt worry 'bout it. Like you said, you're not much of a 3dmark freack. ;)

as long as im not like off by 2000 then im happy...

BTW: My 3dmarks drop to like 9000 when i set my core to 480

I wonder what would be the max OC of an Ultra with a nice Waterblock and some volt mod.
everyone seems to have "only " a GT to test this method .

Erc said:
I wonder what would be the max OC of an Ultra with a nice Waterblock and some volt mod.
everyone seems to have "only " a GT to test this method .

I would say about the same a someone with a GT and a good strong PSU...ill bet the top out around the same (depending on how good the core is)

I(illa Bee said:
I would say about the same a someone with a GT and a good strong PSU...ill bet the top out around the same (depending on how good the core is)

What about the second molex and 2ns memory ? it will help the Ultra alot I belive .
Does the GT has the same mem or is rated lower ?

Erc said:
What about the second molex and 2ns memory ? it will help the Ultra alot I belive .
Does the GT has the same mem or is rated lower ?

That all depends....some GT's do have the same ram as the Ultra.....but most do not.

BTW: My 3dmarks drop to like 9000 when i set my core to 480

Heh, good ol' thermal throttling. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
That all depends....some GT's do have the same ram as the Ultra.....but most do not.

Heh, good ol' thermal throttling. ;)

why would it throutel at below 30c.... ?

I think it has something to do with freezeign i get for a few secounds everynow now and ten in 3dmode, when clocked over 400Mhz, i read over at xtreme that there is an updated Evga BIOS that fixed it, i guss i dont have the right one because mine still dose it... my scores seem to drop the faster i make the card, in games it runs better but i get more and more 3 secound lock ups the higher it clocks. I belive 3dmark is docking me for the little feeezes in between loading demos..

you with me here? anyway, i guss its an issue and some BIOS fixes it, but i cant find it..

ohh yea, i jsut relized that my 2d clocks are not 350/1100? WTF? is it running 350 on 1.1v???

why would it throutel at below 30c.... ?

It throttles at high temps to prevent the card from overheating.....same thing at low temps.....'cept the opposite. You wouldn't think it'd happen, but believe it or not, nVidia DOES know about all those cwazy Cascade folks over at XS. ;)

you with me here?

Yeah, for sure.....I'm hand in hand with you on pretty much everything there. The higher I go the more pauses I get. The pauses seem to simply lock up Aquamark3, but 3DMark2001 and 03 just keep going......and yes.....it does deduct you (quite heavily) for those pauses.....as it's registering that split second drop to 1-3fps when it comes OUT of the pause.

ohh yea, i jsut relized that my 2d clocks are not 350/1100? WTF? is it running 350 on 1.1v???

Huh??? Mind clarifying a bit on that? I was actually surprised just now to look over to my display properties and see my own clocks looking as so:

desk.jpg

desk2.jpg

I can understand the memory......but the core? I'm pretty sure it was at 350MHz before my voltage flash, so that can't be it. The best I can figure it is that the card/core is designed to be able to hit its stock clocks at the lower desktop voltage.....but under any kind of 3d stress it kicks up the voltage to deal with any higher clocks and stress on the card. It's kinda like my 2.8C when I had it in my P4C800-E. Because the vcore on the board was ridiculously unstable I was able to boot into windows at 3.75GHz.....but under load the unstable voltage fell through, and the chip couldn't survive.....my baby simply needs more powa. :D

Not QUITE the same thing.....but you get the picture. ;)

Over the weekend I'm going to mod a Zalman dual pipe ZM80D-HP onto my 6800GT, lap it, and probably build a custom air duct to push the hot air out of the case. We'll see what we can get out of some serious air cooling.

Anyone know if this mod would work with a Leadtek 6800 GT ?

Or does it even matter? (the leadtek has fairly good cooling, looks awesome in fact....)
But i'm not sure about the memory used on-board, i don't know if it's good DDR3!

killboy said:
Anyone know if this mod would work with a Leadtek 6800 GT ?

Or does it even matter? (the leadtek has fairly good cooling, looks awesome in fact....)
But i'm not sure about the memory used on-board, i don't know if it's good DDR3!

I dont see why not? There all refrence desing cards... I have tried a BFG, Leadtech and Evga on my PNY card..

I(illa Bee said:
I dont see why not? There all refrence desing cards... I have tried a BFG, Leadtech and Evga on my PNY card..

Yeah, I'd give it a go for sure.....the nice cooling on the Leadtek should make it quite an interesting venture.

Wanted to say thanks for this post, this was simple to do and works flawlessly for me. My Leadtek 6800 GT would autodetect to 405/1100 before raising the voltage. However 3dMark would crash periodically (especially on Mother Nature) and Far Cry had an odd pause for 5-10 seconds once every level. Dropping the core down to 370 or 375 fixed both issues.

After raising the voltage to 1.4, my card autodetects to 425/1130. I'd wager that if I clocked it to those speeds, 3dMark and Far Cry would still give me problems. So instead I'm running at 400/1100 and things seem great. In 3dMark2003 I get 12,100 when I set the drivers to high performance, and 11,830 when I set it to High Quality. CPU is a A64@2250.

BTW, I used the NVFlash that you linked to, but had to use a different command to backup my BIOS. A:\NVFLASH -b backup ORIGINAL.ROM didn't work for me, I had to use A:\NVFLASH -b save ORIGINAL.ROM.

before this mod and my nv silencer 5, i was only able to get 395/ 1.04. with the mod and new cooler, im at 425/ 1.1, and i dont htink ive hit my limit :D thank you SO much for this info!!!!

Wanted to say thanks for this post, this was simple to do and works flawlessly for me.

thank you SO much for this info!!!!

No problem guys, this is why I'm here.....and I'm glad to see more and more of you coming away even more happy with your cards then you were before.

EDIT: lithium726, OMG.....i LOVE that quote in your sig.......priceless. :D

I got my card to run at 408/1.11 (stable in 3dmark, doom 3). Thanks for starting this thread buddy. :)

I had to use "a:\nvflash -b backup.rom" to get it to work though.

Anyone have a link to the windows version of NvFlash? I don't have a floppy installed on my PC and only wana bother installing one if I must (aka, a bad flash).

EDIT: NM, Found it but something wierd... My bios already have the 3D set at 1.4v on my PNY 6800GT. Can anyone send me an original PNY 6800GT Bios for me to compare? I think the last time I tried to flash this card, I installed different bios.

[email protected]

cornelious0_0 said:
EDIT: lithium726, OMG.....i LOVE that quote in your sig.......priceless. :D

haha thanks! i heard that one years ago, forgot about it, and then last month at dinner my sister said it and i couldnt stop laughing, so i had to include it :D

lithium726 said:
haha thanks! i heard that one years ago, forgot about it, and then last month at dinner my sister said it and i couldnt stop laughing, so i had to include it :D

yeah, i know it's old.....but I hadn't heard it for a good while.....good stuff.

someone host this OmniExtremeEdit FX v1.5 please...I wanna try it.

My link in the first post is still working for the dl for me......

they sell a shirt with the quote on it at thinkgeek.com... my favourite one is still 'Leave me alone or I will replace you with a very small shell script'

but back on topic... nice mod, when I get a 6800gt I will definately try it :)

Man, my 6800GT is coming next week (should've shipped today). Now it's going to be hard to NOT void the warranty in the first hours I have it. :D We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the project.

Back