64-Bit WEP in Fedora

GreNME

2[H]4U
Okay, so I've been having no problems with Fedora and my wireless card (Orinoco) for a while, until I decided to turn WEP on. Now, since I only have the Orinoco Silver, I had to turn on 64-bit encryption, since that's the max the card can handle. Works fine in Win 2k and XP.

My problem: no matter what I tell the damn setup, whether in graphic or CLI (network configuration window or through iwconfig), it will not work. I know it isn't range, because I'm practically right next to it. Just to be sure, I plugged my 5dB gain antennae into it. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Any suggestions, guys? I thought it was a bug with the network setup in the GUI until I tried iwconfig. It's an ASCII key, 64-bits, and I know it can see the network.

try using the hex key, thats what I used for my laptop and that worked fine.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried using the hex key as well. No dice.

granted, i'm using different wireless card, but i added a dash between every fourth character before i got it to work (1234-5678-90...)

The config does it automatically.

Come on, guys. Even the man pages for iwconfig say it can be done using ASCII. Has no one gotten it to work that way?

I have never gotten ASCII to work on my computer, windows or linux. But I did get it to work on my tivo which technically runs linux.

I can't believe that no one has run into this issue before. Is this really just an unresolved wireless issue with Linux?

Back