Promised review is up! NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Review!!!

Wow! I can't wait to see the 6600GT SLI benchmarked! If wonder if it will be faster than my agp 6800 Ultra. Come on Nvidia we need Nforce4 now!

Looks like it's going to be the budget card to have! Score another round for nVidia!

Unfortunately I was without a system, and AMD has no affordable PCI-E solution (any at all even?) and HL2 and associated mods will be played by myself much more than DOOM3, no doubt.

So I went with a a64 and 9800pro. Will do me fine for now.

It whips the X600XT around like whoa.

palindrome said:
I just found my new budget card. :p
No kidding. My g/f is looking for a mid grade video card and this just might be it! Too bad AGP won't be around for a while with these cards. :(

Keep in mind that ATI has not even introduced their mainstream part yet....but they will soon.

I really want to see what ATI puts out there.
Damn lazy Canucks, lol. :)

Good job on the review guys! Now if NV will put out a 939 PCIe MB (with SLI). :D

After reading it, I can say it's a pretty damn nice card, and a good review of it.

My 9600 XT is pissed :D Its older cousin needs to get with the program.

Keep in mind that ATI has not even introduced their mainstream part yet....but they will soon.

Good.

Kyle, any inclincation from Nvidia when you will be able to be able to benchmark SLI combinations of any Nv40 chips?

What worries is just how much cooler and efficient the .11 process is on the 6600GT in comparison to the .13 process on the 6800NU.

Is it worth waiting to see the AGP version or do i just jump on the NU.

I wonder how the 6800NU's compare to the 6600GT (insane 1Ghz mem clock).

Mav451 said:
What worries is just how much cooler and efficient the .11 process is on the 6600GT in comparison to the .13 process on the 6800NU.

Is it worth waiting to see the AGP version or do i just jump on the NU.

I wonder how the 6800NU's compare to the 6600GT (insane 1Ghz mem clock).

but while thinking about the clock speed of the ram.. you also have to take into account hte memory bust that each has.. im willing to bet the 128-bit memory interface on the 6600 series is limiting it so that it does not begin to keep up with its big bro, the NU. im guessing the GDDR3 on the 6600 GT is more of a marketing move than anything, like it was on the 5700U. i could be wrong tho, this is all speculation :p

and WOW the x600 got its ass whooped

The 6800 is a 12 pipeline card compared to 8 on the 6600GT, the 6800 has a 256-bit memory bus compared 128-bits on the 6600GT. I would venture a guess and say the vanilla 6800 would pimp the 6600GT but I would like to see how a pair of 6600GTs in SLI would handle the 6800 and maybe even the Ultra.

I can't wait for the SLI benchmarks :D Also review could use a comparision to 9800pro/xt on agp system.

Now that is an impressive mid-level card.

For the first time in a very long time, no power connector (Even most 5200's had a power connector) The benchmarks are kicking the X600's butt, and its a native PCIE part. It will be interesting to see what the ATi X700 refresh looks like to counter this in the upcoming weeks (definitely will not be sitting on 365mhz DDR1 anymore)

Great review.

Availability is the key.
I'd like to know what happened with supply of the BFG 6800 Ultra OC and GT series cards. They're still sold out. Anyone know why? Did they run out of memory?
I figured with D3 being out for a few weeks, supply would catch up, but Chumbo, BB, and other sites are out of stock. If they're out of stock on the high end cards, then you know it's going to be a few months before retail gets these.

This reminds me of what happened with the P4 3.4EE, it was impossible to get, then a few months later, we heard there were production problems. I feel the same thing is happening with the BFG 6800 Ultra cards.

ZenOps said:
The benchmarks are kicking the X600's butt, and its a native PCIE part.
I'm pretty sure NV is using a bridge chip (ATI's cards though are PCIe native).

560MHz/1.20GHz were our final stable overclocks

DAMN!!!!!

I can only push my PNY 6800GT to 440/1.3 and remain stable (non-voltage modded, but w/ NV Silencer 5). But am pretty sure I could kill a 6600GT (but I paid like $100 more than the $200 6600GT price).

Great review. Since this is not a retail card, so no [H] seal.
How about including a price/performance graph see which is really better. I know the 6800GT is great value, but with this card release, maybe this is even better price/performance,

What do they use to capture that graphical framerate data when playing games? (like the doom and farcry rates, etc).

I'd like to do that same test....

Wow, if you got two of those you would have an SLI solution that doesn't cost a grand!

Can't wait to see how they perform in dual..

this same type of card will be for the mobile market
right?

although I bet it will not performs as the desktop one

SelRahc said:
What do they use to capture that graphical framerate data when playing games? (like the doom and farcry rates, etc).

I'd like to do that same test....
It's called Fraps, it's in the review.

I can imagine the chip has to be right on the borderline of what TSMC considers a simple .11 design. Afterall, with 8 pipes and PVS3, it has to have a ton of transistors.

.11 only is working right now for simple designs, as yields on complex .11 are pretty sad right now (even complex .13 is pretty sad) Availability may be an issue, but with TSMC and not IBM behind the production (99 percent sure IBM does not do .11 yet) I'd say it probably won't be too much of an issue if/when Nvidia officially launches and starts rolling them out in mass production. Note that this is a *desperately* needed mid-end chip for Nvidia, the 5700/5750 and the equivalent bridged PCIE variant were no match for the X600 or even most 9600's (X600 and 9600 being nearly the same)

ugh... compared to 6800NU? Compared to Radeon9800Pro/XT?

It'd be aprpeciated. thanks.

Diseaseboy said:
Kyle, any inclincation from Nvidia when you will be able to be able to benchmark SLI combinations of any Nv40 chips?
I really just do not know yet. We are being led to believe that we should have that option soon though on Intel's chipset....

Well I am hoping for next gen "6900" ultra in sli for this time next year Oh and for the NV marketing guys , you could call it the 6969 package . Roflmao ;)

This card reminds me of the GF2 MX. Although many associate the GF2 MX with crap nowadays, but back in the day, it was the card to buy for those that didn't want to spend an arm & a leg. The GF2 MX was a great overclocker and gave performance almost as good as the GF2 GTS back in the day, at least without AA & AF enabled.

I am impressed with the 6600GT, it looks like we have a mainstream card that truely performs as good as the last generation's high end cards. It's been a while since we've seen that.

I'd be interested to see if two of these running SLI can perform better than a 6800Ultra.

great card, i bet ati's x700 will put up a fight, but with the 6600gt SLI it doesn't matter what ati brings cause for the price of an 6800gt you can configure a SLI setup and i'm betting it will beat the buns out of any 400.00 card so it doesn't matter how ati counters they'll just be the flea that SLI will scratch off

The 6600GT looks very competitive even with the 6800 vanilla in many benchmarks! Thats a nice card for $200. Granted I'd rather the 6800 vanilla for $300, but if my budget was $200 I know exactly what card I'd be getting.

Sucks for all thos 5700, 9600xt, 9800, 5900U, 5950 owners out there. Your cards are now worthless. j/k! not worthless, but much less when you can buy a brand new shiney 6600GT for $200 with SM3.0, etc.

If the X700 pro can compete with the 6600GT, then it's really going to make their X800 Pro's worthless, b/c the 6600GT is already practically giving it a run for its money, especially considering its a $400 card.

So if the X700 can match or beat the 6600GT then it will be very close to the X800 Pro performance for half its price.

i honestly think ati will shoot themselfs in the foot again with x700

who knows till it comes out...if ever...

spyderz said:
great card, i bet ati's x700 will put up a fight, but with the 6600gt SLI it doesn't matter what ati brings cause for the price of an 6800gt you can configure a SLI setup and i'm betting it will beat the buns out of any 400.00 card so it doesn't matter how ati counters they'll just be the flea that SLI will scratch off

I bet you your first born that a SLI 6600GT wont beat a single 6800GT.

Great review. If I was in the market for a mid-range $200 card it wouldn't be a 9600... it would be a 9800. Seems like the 9800 is the 6600's real competitor, unless the 9800's are phased out very soon or the 6600 quickly becomes cheaper than 199.
I wonder how the 6600 compares to the 9800?

Firingsquad has a 9800 Pro in their review and it actually beats it in most non-AA situations, but they only enabled AA in like one or two of the games, but I'd assume the 9800 Pro would noticeably outperform it there.

Back