Official Shuttle SB81P Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
The SB81P is the first system from Shuttle to use the new P series chassis. This new design allows the SB81P to accomodate 3 hard drives, 1 optical drive, a built in media card reader, and a 350 watt PSU.

Here is a link to the official product page on Shuttle's site.

Some Basic Specs:
Processor:
Intel Socket 775 Pentium 4 / Celeron D

Memory:
Dual-channel DDR 400/333
DIMM slots (2GB max) x 2

Motherboard:
FB81 (proprietary)
Intel 915G + ICH6-R chipset
800/533 MHz FSB
32-bit PCI slot x 1

Graphics:
16X PCI Express slot
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Audio:
8-channel audio
Digital (SPDIF) audio ports
Analog audio ports

Network:
Gigabit LAN

Storage :
Serial ATA 150 headers x 4
FDD header
(1) IDE header
5.25” storage bay x 1
3.5” storage bays x 3

Power Supply:
Silent X 350W
And here are some reviews from around the net:

AnandTech
bit-tech.net
Overclocker Cafe
ExtremeTech
HEXUS.net
TrustedReviews

The SB81P is now out and is currently in stock at newegg.

I plan on picking one up, so if anyone else is getting one too, please post here so we can share information and experiences.

you know, i am consider it as well... i would jump in with both feet if the bezel wasn't plastic. why did they have to use plastic?!... why not something more solid - lexan sheet, aluminum, for gods sakes... and i could care less for the stealthed drives..

but i guess i could mod the hell out of it and make my own face. i like the insides - 3 HDs and RAID... i'd have to see it in person - if it's moddable, i'll get it. don't care at what price - not an issue. i just want it to be small and look good. tired of my huge almost-full-tower w/c setup. anyone wants to buy my case?...

hey I just heard the sb81p will be out in about 10 days

:D

now, I just need the 6600GT to come out...good thing the sb81p has onboard video to hold me over

i've been bitching about the face panel being plastic... but does it need to remain that way? eh?

i think it would be easy to rip that plastic shit out and replace it with some black anodized aluminum (just cut up a black lian-li replacement door - which i've done before for other things) and 5mm acrylic sheet on top of that - for AWESOME results. hm... 10 days you say?... i'd like to get my paws on it at my local Fry's and see what the insides look like first-hand - if it's moddable, i'm getting one! :)

don't really care about the plastic as long as it works, I won't be modding it

Dillusion said:
whats wrong with that silver LGA shuttle thats out right now?

the sb81p has

350 watt psu
room for 3 hard drives
quietest shuttle to date

etc. goto shuttle's site for more info

you can fit a DVDRw and 2 HD's in the silver one .... im about to buy an LGA775 shuttle system, but i need all the parts by oct 5th ..... i have a LAN that weekend. i wanna wait for the 6600GT too, because i dont think the PCX5900/X600XT is very good right now.

do you think i should hold off on the SB83G5? is it worth the extra 45$ for thisnew one :eek:

this is what i have so far:

Shuttle SB83G5 i915p SFF
Pentium 4 530 3.0GHZ LGA775 1MB L2
Gigabyte PCX5900 128MB PCI-EXpress X16 (or 6600GT if it comes out in time)
Geil Value Blue 2x512 PC3200
NEC 8X DVDRW
WD 1200JB

-$1,103

dont know if i should wait or not :(

Dillusion, just build a system in a cardboard box. Or a $30 case if you so desire. But i see no reason to get something you won't like. wait for the good shit - that's my motto. i am waiting for SB81P. i do not want a silver case - SFF or not. all my other shit is black - having a silver case when all your other hardware is black - is - well... - uncool, IMHO.

color matching my shit? you betcha. but i did see some review at Nexus, i think, where the plastic on SB81P didn't look all that bad. it looked shiny and reflective. see, this is why i need to touch it. sniff it. lick it, even. i need to see it IRL before i spend moneys. i have spent estimated $6000 (in upgrades and mods and stuff) - and innumerable number of hours with a dremel and soldering iron - on my system now, in all the upgrades and stuff, and i want to make sure my new one will match the looks. that's why i'm willing to a) wait and b) mod.

the sb81p has started to show up on a couple of sites for preorder :D

EnderW said:
the sb81p has started to show up on a couple of sites for preorder :D
WOOHOO!!! nice. i wonder when retailers will get one i could rip into... Fry's oh Fry's! do you hear me? i want one. every time i walk into my room now and lay my eyes on my beautiful case, all lit-up and watercooled and overclocked and all that - well, i'm underwhelmed... i want excitement in my life again. ;)

problem is the 6600GT wont be out till another few weeks, and i have a LAN oct 9-10

and 430$ for the black one? F that

Dillusion said:
problem is the 6600GT wont be out till another few weeks, and i have a LAN oct 9-10

and 430$ for the black one? F that

I don't have time for games right now, so onboard is fine with me for awhile.

I'm sure the price will drop down to MSRP after it's really released.

EnderW said:
yeah that review has been out for over a month - don't know why they are just now linking to it on the front page
oh shit you're right - "by Fly on 3rd August 2004" - hm... i wonder how i didn't notice it... damn... getting old... or sloppy... of both... old and sloppy. hm... need an upgrade! :)

codeflux said:
oh shit you're right - "by Fly on 3rd August 2004" - hm... i wonder how i didn't notice it... damn... getting old... or sloppy... of both... old and sloppy. hm... need an upgrade! :)
yeah just type "sb81p" into google and you'll get several reviews

well it should be out next week - woohoo ;)

codeflux said:
nice review... you know, just thought of something:

we should form an SB81P fan club. :)

looks like we would be the only members

what's funny is we have similiar mid tower systems

I called shuttle today, 9/21/04 and they said about 2 weeks. I have a funny feeling that they've been saying that for a while now though. Does anyone know if you have to use memory in pairs with the SB81P?

utsava said:
I called shuttle today, 9/21/04 and they said about 2 weeks. I have a funny feeling that they've been saying that for a while now though. Does anyone know if you have to use memory in pairs with the SB81P?

that sucks, it seems like it has been delayed several times

however, I'm seeing more and more reviews, so it has to be getting close

I would doubt that you have to use pairs of memory, but of course you wouldn't have dual channel mode if you just used a single stick

This is somewhat unreleated but here goes:

This system uses DDR 400 right? So with this setup is there an advantage to using 2 sticks of memory (i.e. 2 x 512) versus one stick (1x1GB)? I realize that 2 512's is cheaper, but the way I look at it, when I eventually want to upgrade to 2GB memory, I would have to essentially throw away the 2 512's. With 1 1GB stick I could just add another.

As you can see I'm not well versed on DDR.

utsava said:
This is somewhat unreleated but here goes:

This system uses DDR 400 right? So with this setup is there an advantage to using 2 sticks of memory (i.e. 2 x 512) versus one stick (1x1GB)? I realize that 2 512's is cheaper, but the way I look at it, when I eventually want to upgrade to 2GB memory, I would have to essentially throw away the 2 512's. With 1 1GB stick I could just add another.

As you can see I'm not well versed on DDR.

with 2 sticks you will be running your ram in dual channel mode, which will provide a slight performance increase depending on what applications you run

also, I don't think there is a lot of high performance ram available in 1GB sticks

Any info on the availability would be great. Who will have it first, etc... I've already bought a new DVD DL burner for this puppy...

USMC2Hard4U said:
Ender, Do you think we will see this available online by October 15th?
I just got off the phone with Shuttle and she told me it has been released to the vendors and they could have it up as early as Monday. Which is right on track with that a guy over at Sudhian, Odie (a Shuttle employee), who last week, said it would be released in about 10 days.

Also, a guy over at Sudhian that lives in the UK, just got his this morning.

link

I just got a respoinse to my email from Shuttle today:

" Thanks for choosing Shuttle. We will ship the SB81P out before end of September, You should can find it in market at October."

Sounds good :)

utsava said:
You should can find it in market at October.

should can find it? lol

I definitely noticed a slight language barrier when I called them, but the women I talked to was very polite, I must say.

Hope this thing shows up next week.

EnderW said:
Hope this thing shows up next week.
ditto. looks like 400gb drives are showing up at stores, and so do x800xt-pe pci-e's. as soon as i see that case, and i'm pretty sure i'll like it... hehehe... can't wait, i tell ya.

I was this close --><--- to buying one at excalibur. By Saturday morning they were sold out... doh... anyone know of any other well known companies that have them in stock? Do you think Newegg will have them Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back