PC in a drive bay

tom61

[H]ard|Gawd
Awhile back I picked up an EBX Single Board Computer motherboard:

Jun30-04.jpg

A neat thing about the EBX form-factor is that is roughly the same size as 5-1/4" bay. Naturally, I wanted to cram one in a drive bay. However, I hadn't done too much with it to that end, until I found this:

metal_piece.jpg

A hunk of metal from an old AT power supply, it happens to be bent into roughly the same size/shape as a CDROM.

board_in_metal.jpg

Board fits in the there nicely. My brother is supposed to take a plasma cutter to it tommorow to take off the top part.

slimline_drive.jpg

Here's the Slimline drive that is to serve as the optical for this system. 32x slimline CD drive that I scored for $4. Needs a $25 adapter to work though. :(

will the board and the cd rom fit in one drive bay?

that would be sweet...but what would you do with the a second PC in a drive bay????

Fold, downloads. (like the latest release of a mod. You leave a pair of crappy speakers hooked to it and when it beeps you start the download.)

That CDrom and the board will fit in the same drive bay. I think I can even cram a notebook HD in underneath the CD. As for power, the board has a standard molex that I'll plug into the main PC's PS. I don't have to worry too much about power drain, as it uses a VIA C3 processor (which makes a Celeron look power-hungry).

As for what I'd do with it, I figure I might also put a mini KVM switch in the case and go back and forth between Windows and Linux with a button press. :D Since I like both UT2K4 and BF1942, I could have a dedicated server running in the Linux drive box, and be playing without troubles on the Windows large box. Also, run a large compile on the Linux box and game on the Windows box. Could also Fold with either. Could also use Launchcast while in Linux, since the speakers will likely be plugged into the big box, and then the Linux box could use the line-in connector on the motherboard.

I'm interested in hearing ideas for a easy to make and good looking face plate. My current case has rounded bay covers, so I can't easily just cut those. Too much hand made wiring and drive guts (faceplate will be removed from the CD to save room) for a peice of plexi to look good. On top of it all, I'm thinking of getting a new case to replace this one.

My brother didn't take the metal to school with him today, so I'll have to wait a bit to have it cut to continue the build. I also need to stop by Radio Shack and pick-up a barrier strip, so I can figure out how to hook up the PS/2 ports.

Should be nice, love the idea.

Does the motherboard have an ATX connector for power? If so, how are you going to get 3.3volts, etc. that the ATX cable usually supplys from a molex connector (5v and 12v)?

Can't wait to see how this turns out, I've thought of doing something like this before, though I'd probably make it take up two 5.25" bays instead of just one, you have your work cut out for you trying to stuff all of that into one bay. :p Awesome though, keep us updated!

i suppose you could gut an old cdrom drive and use the case to hold all that stuff. That way you can easily install/remove it from one pc to the next if needbe....but I do like the idea of a dedicated game server...but how effective would that be with a via c3 cpu??? I didn't think they were very powerful...ie, a 1ghz c3 was about the same as a 500-600mhz pentium 2 or 3...correct me if i'm wrong though...

cool idea though....keep going!

Heh, I'm actually in the early stages of doing the same thing, although my board is a PCI version, designed to work on its own or from a backplane. It's also just a bit smaller, but otherwise they're pretty close. I've got two, one with a Celeron 850 for a CarPC and the other with a Celeron 566, not sure what that will become.

What CF card are you using? I see in the other thread that yours also has the CF slot, but as of right now mine will only work with certain specific cards. A 16MB Canon card works fine, as does a 32MB Lexar, but a 256MB Simpletech doesn't work. Neither did a 340MB Microdrive. So I'm leaning towards using a laptop drive if I can't find a CF that will work right.

I'm jealous of your board, no PCI slot on mine without a backplane. :( Means I'm forced to use USB for expansion. Mine does have onboard ports for PS/2, network, video, and one serial.

but I do like the idea of a dedicated game server...but how effective would that be with a via c3 cpu??? I didn't think they were very powerful...ie, a 1ghz c3 was about the same as a 500-600mhz pentium 2 or 3...correct me if i'm wrong though...

You're pretty close on the power, but keep in mind that a dedicated server usually doesn't display graphics, so it shouldn't require too much overhead. If it does, I suppose I could pick up a faster proc later on. (the C3 was laying around from another project)

Does the motherboard have an ATX connector for power? If so, how are you going to get 3.3volts, etc. that the ATX cable usually supplys from a molex connector (5v and 12v)?

All it needs is a +5V from a standard drive molex, it has voltage converters to handle everything else built-in. According to the manual, it doesn't even need +12V! :eek:

i suppose you could gut an old cdrom drive and use the case to hold all that stuff.

Problem is that all the CDRoms I've seen are too short, this board is 8" long. Also, on the DVD drive I took apart, it had a bunch of metal in odd places, not just striaght 90 degree angles.

What CF card are you using? I see in the other thread that yours also has the CF slot, but as of right now mine will only work with certain specific cards.

Haven't gotten that far, it keeps halting on keyboard. :( I still need to make up an adapter for keyboard and mouse.

Mine does have onboard ports for PS/2, network, video, and one serial.

Mine has headers (most 2mm pitch, though :( ) for Video, audio, 4 serial (one of which can do some industrial standards), one parrallel, PS/2, USB, one TFT LCD connector, one STN LCD connector, and 10/100 Enthernet. Having them on headers is mixed blessing, I can put the ports anywhere, but I have to make the cables myself.

Hope yours goes well!

A note on power for these, they will run off of only the +5 volt line BUT the fan header won't work. It's apparently the only thing on these that uses the 12 volt line. I'll be using an AT supply for one of mine, the other will be getting a +5/+12 because I'll be running some other hardware that needs the +12. Just haven't been able to find one I like yet. According to Advantech they only need [email protected].

I've got the onboard LCD connector, too, but as yet haven't found a screen that I'm sure will work. Yours have the Trident 9525DVD, too? I'd love to know if you find anything suitable. Also have the small pitch connectors for IDE, floppy, parallel, and two more serial. Mine did come with the cables for those, though. Actually, I might be able to spare one of the serial cables and MAYBE a 44pin IDE cable with two 40 pin connectors. Waiting on some parts before I'll know for sure.

What I've found with the CF cards is that some don't show up at all, not in the BIOS or in an OS. Seems to be related to the drives ability to run in ATA mode, and possibly related to power usage. Out of an 8MB, 16MB, 2x32MB, and a 256MB CF card, only the 16MB and one 32MB work. I took a chance on a Microdrive, that didn't work either and I also had to modify the CF slot to fit.

Yeah, mine has the Trident Cyber 9525DVD, too. Does yours have dip switches/jumpers to set the LCD type, or do you have to flash the BIOS to change on yours? Mine has dip switches, and looks like it'll do a fair range of TFTs, including an LCD I took out of an old laptop.

Kind of a bummer on your microdrive. My PDA (Dell Axim X5) uses it, so the card that I'll be trying it with I have a use for if it doesn't work. I think it did come up in the BIOS though, it's a PNY 256MB card.

Yep, got the little bank of dip switches, supposed to handle anything from a 640x480 STN to a 1024x768 TFT. Other than not knowing what LCDs are truly supported, I'm just not looking forward to making the cables for hooking up an LCD. Buying premade cables would bring the cost level close to a desktop LCD, so that's probably what I'll end up doing. Kicking myself once again for selling off a 12" touchscreen as well as three 10.4" screens and a pair of 12" screens. Couldn't find a use at the time, now I would love one of them back.

What laptop did yours come from? I'm hoping I can find something ~8" and 800x600, preferably TFT and with the inverter still attached. New screens are just ridiculous, $400 for one that I can't even be sure will work.

The CF card problem is going to work out fine for me. My current mp3 player works fine with the 256MB card. It'll also work with the 340MB, but those suck batteries dry in less than an hour. And going to a laptop hard drive will fix some other issues, no stripped down software needed.

Mine came from a Lex Book, made by Lexmark. It's a Hitachi screen inside though. I'm gonna have to rig up an inverter, as it's integrated in the motherboard. Not fully positive on the specs, but I have the pinout for it.

Bumping this up so I don't loose where this post is.

My brother hasn't cut the metal yet, I've kinda given up on him doing it. I remembered buying my dad a metal chop saw, but I can't find it in the garage now. I'll have to just track down a hacksaw I guess and cut it that way.

I'm also waiting to hear back from a potential job, as I need some money to be able to complete this project. $25 for iMac DVD adapter (for slot load CDrom, as a tray load slim CD adapter won't work with a slot load), ~$30 for parts to make the ports and cables, $20 for a Cold Heat soldering iron (optional, but it's make it alot easier), ~$50 for a notebook HD of decent capacity, and ~$20 for two 128MB sticks of PC100 SODIMMs. Kinda hard to get that kind of money without a job. :(

I was given every impression that I had the job before the interview, but now I'm not sure. This has been a weird past few weeks, dealing with this potential employer...

tom61 said:
Mine came from a Lex Book, made by Lexmark. It's a Hitachi screen inside though. I'm gonna have to rig up an inverter, as it's integrated in the motherboard. Not fully positive on the specs, but I have the pinout for it.

curious, but where did you get a pinout for the screen? I've got a sharp TFT screen (I think it's 10") here. I've got no way to hook it up as it has no inverter, and I'd need an lcd controller with it.

Pinouts would help though.... :rolleyes: as I'm sorta screwed without them...

I just Googled the model number. Getting the pinout/spec sheet is hit and miss though, as I couldn't find any data on a Sharp screen I pulled out of an old Toshiba notebook.

I already googled for them, came up with nothing also. I was hoping you had a "source" for your information that also included Shap's too.. :p

I grabbed mine from an old Apple Powerbook... :D I always knew macs were good for something!
ohwell...

Get going on this, I need inspiration for mine. :D

I did find myself a 44 pin CD-ROM drive, I'm actually more excited that it's really just a normal laptop drive with a 44 pin adapter instead of the 40 pin. Should be able to use it with any drive I find, so upgrading to DVD should be easy. I need to see if I can run it as a slave. Hoping I can, then I'll pair that with a laptop drive, otherwise I'll be looking at creating a ~30MB install of Win98 for booting from a CF card. I've done a small install before, just hope I can again. If all goes as planned mine will boot direct to Winamp then playback from an external USB drive or the CD drive.

Oh, I have an extra pair of 64MB SODIMMs here, but I'd like to get $30 for them which is probably out of your price range.

Should be able to use it with any drive I find, so upgrading to DVD should be easy.

Just keep in mind the whole slot-load vs. tray-load thing. All slimline slot-load drives have a flipped connector compared to a tray-load slimline drive. If you get the wrong adapter, you end up having it hang 3 inches+ off the side.

I paid $10 shipped for my drive, thought it was a pretty decent deal. The $25 adapter on the other hand... :eek:

I need to see if I can run it as a slave. Hoping I can, then I'll pair that with a laptop drive, otherwise I'll be looking at creating a ~30MB install of Win98 for booting from a CF card.

You could just set the HD to slave, most systems nowadays can boot off a slave drive.

Oh, I have an extra pair of 64MB SODIMMs here, but I'd like to get $30 for them which is probably out of your price range.

Yeah. It seems I can get a 128MB stick for $10-15 each from ebay.

I was hoping you had a "source" for your information that also included Shap's too.. :p

Any source that I'd know, Google knows. :p

My main hump is getting the connectors made, I have secondary parts for everything else. 1GB notebook HD, 32MB Sodimm, and can go without a CD, or use a large one.

I had to resort to Cable Select and use the drive with the normal 40 pin adapter, the other one isn't a standard 44 pin after all. When it comes time to switch to DVD I'll just get the adapter then. I'll be staying away from the slot load drives, just don't care for them.

Digikey has the Hirose sockets, their part number is H2232 and H2234 for the 20 pin and 40 pin sockets. These also require the crimp pins, which they only sell by the 100. Bad part is the crimper is bigbig bucks, $900+ if I'm reading the catalog right. Looks like they also have a solder version of the sockets, although I don't know if I'd want to be soldering all those tiny pins.

I use to work for a company that was doing this with Sparc systems. they used Dell systems for the chassis. Here is a link to what they had.

Why have the CD drive at all? If it's going into another PC, why not just have a drive mapping to the main rig's CD drive? Apologies if I'm missing something here...

because say he needs to be running sumtin off of a cd on the mini-one, but wants to play a game that requires a cd to play, you cant do both. And plus itd be much faster having its own.

I already have it is the main thing. :p Another is that I can be installing something from CD on the Linux drive, and be burning a DVD on the Windows box. Then there are the issues arrising from using a Windows shared CD drive under Linux.

I'd also like the box to be as standalone as possible, in case I want to use it in something else (like a NES PC).

too lazy to read all the posts but.....

you should dress it up to look like a cdrom and then put it in a big tower case and have no motherboard in the case so itlooks like theres nothing in the case but its running and ahahar... think of the confusion

666 said:
too lazy to read all the posts but.....

you should dress it up to look like a cdrom and then put it in a big tower case and have no motherboard in the case so itlooks like theres nothing in the case but its running and ahahar... think of the confusion

It's been done before, and better: http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/psu-pc/

With my earlier slimline system, I was tempted to put it in the top part of a full tower case, mod a window in the lower part and have it running. :D

Progress update (of sorts):
I asked my dad where the metal cutting saw is, and I now have a good idea where it is. Now I just have to find it. :confused: "In the garage in a tool box" Three tool boxes in there, unless I mis-counted. :( I'll look for it when I'm feeling better (I think have a stomach flu or something).

I'm considering make a front panel using Front Panel Express, have to draw it out and see how much it'll run me.

Edit: Looks like around $20 for a blue anodized aluminum front plate. :D Looks like I'm gonna go that route. Just need to put the system together and make sure all the holes are going to be in the right place.

I have an interview with an ISP Monday, hopefully they'll hire me and I can have some money to complete this project.

Where would you buy one of these tiny motherboards? I'm making a CarPC and if I can fit a PC inside of my center console i'd rather do that!
How are the prices on those things?

CoRPS said:
Where would you buy one of these tiny motherboards? I'm making a CarPC and if I can fit a PC inside of my center console i'd rather do that!
How are the prices on those things?

http://www.mini-itx.com

they have an online store there. you can obviously get them elsewhere, but that site specializes in the mini-itx sort of stuff. I'd love to build a carputer if I had the extra money...

EBX formfactor and other embedded boards are hard to come by. I managed to snag this one for $40 thanks to a Froogle anomaly, I was searching for a mobile chipset based PCI video card to see if I could hack a laptop LCD to it using the terms 'mobile PCI video', and this board came up about halfway down! Unfortunately before I could tell anyone about it, they sold off their stock. :( Normally these boards run ~$400. Do a search for 'SBC' or 'Single Board Computer' on Ebay, there have been some small boards on there for not too bad of a price lately.

Mini-ITX is small, but you're not going to be able to fit it in a DIN slot (standard sized radio hole). Check out http://www.mp3car.com/ if you haven't already, lots of people there have in-dash installs (though mainly in the glove compartment).

Hmm... While I'm here, might as well do an update of my status on this project. Progress=0. I found the chop saw, the stupid thing is too small! Thanks to a restrictor plate (to set the angles) it won't even cut half of the plate. If it could cut half, I could cut it on one side and then move the piece around and cut the other.

About the only thing new is that I found out that the screw holes in the board don't seem to be grounded, which means I can just glue a nut to the plate and then screw into that, without worrying about an electrical connection to the plate.

tom61 - that sbc you have has an lcd controller built onto it then? so really all you need is the rest of the power for the laptop lcd?

Yep, built-in TFT controller. I need is to power the LCD and CCFL (I have an inverter from a Toshiba laptop that might work), and wire up a connector from the LCD to the SBC (SBC uses a Hirose connector, laptop used a different type)

tom61 said:
EBX formfactor and other embedded boards are hard to come by. I managed to snag this one for $40 thanks to a Froogle anomaly, I was searching for a mobile chipset based PCI video card to see if I could hack a laptop LCD to it using the terms 'mobile PCI video', and this board came up about halfway down! Unfortunately before I could tell anyone about it, they sold off their stock. :( Normally these boards run ~$400. Do a search for 'SBC' or 'Single Board Computer' on Ebay, there have been some small boards on there for not too bad of a price lately.

Mini-ITX is small, but you're not going to be able to fit it in a DIN slot (standard sized radio hole). Check out http://www.mp3car.com/ if you haven't already, lots of people there have in-dash installs (though mainly in the glove compartment).

Hmm... While I'm here, might as well do an update of my status on this project. Progress=0. I found the chop saw, the stupid thing is too small! Thanks to a restrictor plate (to set the angles) it won't even cut half of the plate. If it could cut half, I could cut it on one side and then move the piece around and cut the other.

About the only thing new is that I found out that the screw holes in the board don't seem to be grounded, which means I can just glue a nut to the plate and then screw into that, without worrying about an electrical connection to the plate.

Sorry for thread jacking, but I wasn't planning on installing it where the head goes :-D

I'm just having no luck, at least the good kind anyway, with this mod.

I can't find the die grinder (think Dremel on steriods), which would probably make short work this thin metal. After looking around Bit-Tech.net awhile, I found alot of people holding thier drives in various mods using plexi (que light bulb over head). "Hey, my Dad brought home some scrap Lexan, I'll use some of that to center the drive and mount the mobo to some as well!", I thought. After about half an hour searching in the garage for that and the die grinder, I came up nil. Where I last saw the stack of Lexan now rests a crank shaft. Where I remember the die grinder being is gone... it used to be on a workbench, which has disappeared completely (I think it may have been my brother's, and I recall him saying something about selling it), and now a Shop Smith (transforming lathe/drill press/mill) rests where it used to be.

On top of it all, I still have no job, and no money after buying a harddrive, at least until I get the rebate check. So, I can't buy parts for this still.

damn dude...you got shit for luck! ...hmm...just like me! :p

why not use the dremel? It may take longer, and you'll go through a few cutting disks...but it'll get the job done. Just don't use a diamond bit on steel/aluminum....it cuts like butter but seems to wear down real fast (personal experience).

tom61 said:
That would require a Dremel... Don't have one.

damn...yeah...that would put a damper on things wouldn't it.

I hope you find something, this would be a cool mod to see when it's finished.

They do cheap jigsaws down at Focus DIY (DIY superstore) in the UK - £13 ($18-ish?) when I bought mine. Get one and a metal blade...sorted...

Back