Which of these two waterblock bases is better?

Cathar

[H]ard|Gawd
Purely disregarding what the actual blocks are, or how they were lapped, which of the following two lapping finishes would you rather stick on your CPU?

flat1.jpg

...and from a different perspective....

Left one

Right one

I've always wondered why reviewers take pictures of bases that show reflections of the pens and watches and beer bottles, and never of anything straight/regular.

I'll be mailing out links to this thread and telling people to look at your pictures and see how to do it right.

I'd say the RIGHT one since it appears to be the flatest finish. Is the right one what I think it is, something starting with a S?

R1ckCa1n said:
Is the right one what I think it is, something starting with a S?

No. It's just a old hand-lapped base-plate that I had kicking about and thought to use it for this demonstration.

great 'eye opener' for those of you that think shiny is equal to flat. I noticed the corners of the left one were not as sanded and/or shiny as the center, so i thought that's what you might be doing...

The right block by far. Great job with the mesh in the alternate pics, Cathar...that should make the shiny = flat argument, well...fall flat :p

Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera did you use for those pics?

-OMP

Without looking at the rest of this thread, the one on the Right. Looks like a machined surface which is more likely to have a guaranteed flat surface.
Of course, unless you alpped the CPU (assuming AMD) core and removed the slightly raised lettering, I don't think it would make a lot of difference.

Good post Cather.

OneMadPoptart said:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera did you use for those pics?

That be my trusty 2.5yr old Nikon Coolpix 775

Back