No More BFG 6800 Ultra OC's with Water Block at 470MHz will be made

Charon_Sin

n00b
I just called BFG and they confirmed that they have discontinued the BFG 6800 Ultra OC with water block clocked at 470MHz. They are now selling a 6800 Ultra OC with water block through Fry’s but it is only clocked at 425MHz. The really crappy part is although the core MHz has change the price has not. It is still priced at $599, so you are paying $100 for a $39 Koolance GPU Block and some $5 Video RAM Heat Sinks. If you get the regular 6800 Ultra OC priced at $499 and put your Koolance water block on (that you already have) then you void your lifetime warranty.

Does anyone even have this card? BFG said it was only sold through www.chumbo.com as a limited item (I never read anything about it being a limited run) but I tried to order one and it was always out of stock or coming soon. Then they just stopped listing it.

Judging by the croud the freqents these forums; most people wouldn't buy a card like that, as there are better cooling solutions that can be had for cheaper and everyone knows it.

blackrose said:
Judging by the croud the freqents these forums; most people wouldn't buy a card like that, as there are better cooling solutions that can be had for cheaper and everyone knows it.

I just posted because [H]ard|OCP did a review on this card and because it was the fastest production card for sale with a lifetime warranty. Not that we care about that ;-) I looked into the new DD 6800 block but it has received mediocre reviews. Not to mention the $120 price tag.

Oh where did you find a place "where the sun don’t shine"? I would be interested to know because I live in Phoenix and all this Sun pisses me off. Guess I should move.

Warranty? How many of you here even have warranties on any of your hardware? I have voided just about every one of them. Since I overclock my processor I technically void the warranty.

I was reading a thread somewhere else, and in that thread the guy was using a Koolance Exxos case to cool both the card and his cpu and he was unable to acheive the stock bios clocks of 470. He RMA'd the card and was still unable to get the new card to run at 470. So they finally sent him one with the bios set at the default core speed of 425.

I doubt BFG would produce such a limited edition card and not test it with their own W/C setup. Therefore the cards are surely still capable of running 470, just not with everyones cooling solution, such as low performing pre packaged W/C kits.

Edit: will the [H] change their article to reflect the product change --------- I doubt it.

12 Axes said:
I was reading a thread somewhere else, and in that thread the guy was using a Koolance Exxos case to cool both the card and his cpu and he was unable to acheive the stock bios clocks of 470. He RMA'd the card and was still unable to get the new card to run at 470. So they finally sent him one with the bios set at the default core speed of 425.

I doubt BFG would produce such a limited edition card and not test it with their own W/C setup. Therefore the cards are surely still capable of running 470, just not with everyones cooling solution, such as low performing pre packaged W/C kits.

Edit: will the [H] change their article to reflect the product change --------- I doubt it.

I think BFG got ahead of them selves and made a product that won’t run on some people’s water-cooled systems. Instead of admitting that they can’t support their product they just quietly changed distributors and made a 6800 Ultra OC clocked at the same speed as the air cooled system they sell. That way it can run on anyone’s water-cooled system.

Spaceninja said:
Warranty? How many of you here even have warranties on any of your hardware? I have voided just about every one of them. Since I overclock my processor I technically void the warranty.

Same here. But I am not going to tell Abit, AMD or ATI that.

I have the warranty on everything. It tends to come in useful at times.

They are handy, as long as it is a mod or something that can be reversed. Say you water cool a P4 system. Well the motherboard comes with a bracket to mount the hsf, if you remove that you have "technically" voided the warranty. I guess the only thing that hasn't had something done at any level would be the hard drives. Not much you can really do to them.

Got in here a few days late, but I bought the BFG 6800 Ultra Water block from Outpost. Yes, it was discontinued at Chumbo.
I bought from Outpost and received the card a few days later. Here's a picture of the back of it.
http://www.nogodforme.com/tribalwar/pictures/DSC03084.JPG

From reading other posts, it looks like I have a newer bios. I heard of some people locking up their computer with an older bios.

I'm going with the Exos AL, this will be my first water cooling system. For me, ease of setup was the selling points, even if the card only goes to 425. Everything should connect with no problem, since the connectors on the BFG are 1/4 just like the Exos. And my system should run quiet with the Exos at 45%, so I'm ok with spending the extra money if everything works.

You know, it was funny, when I opened the bag, I gently pulled the sticker away so I wouldn't rip it, and there was another half of a sticker under it. Who knows, maybe that means my card was returned and went out with a new bios.

We'll see, I'm going to start building this weekend.
Here's a huge pic of everything I'm putting together
http://www.nogodforme.com/tribalwar/pictures/NEWCOMPUTERBIG.JPG

Erk.. just keep your retail HSF, and if you want to return.. put it back on?

I don't think doing that is the equivilent of RMAing cuz you messed it up, as long as you didn't screw it up throwing on the waterblock.

I've had the BFG 6800U OC with water block since 12 July and am very happy with it. It has been rock solid at 470/1100 with all the games and flight sims on my PC. I noticed quite some time ago that the card was no longer offered at the original speeds and it made me feel very funny about what kind of support I might get from BFG if the card fails.

I contacted BFG before ordering the card from Chumbo and they told me it was tested with a Koolance water cooling system and case. For my PC, I use a SwifTech 8600 cooling system. Aside from the 3D card running cooler, my system/cpu run 3-4 degrees C cooler than with the old fan cooled card I replaced.

Yup, the cost was much more than I ever thought I'd spend for a 3D card and I've seen some overclocked 6800 GT's paired with better CPU and RAM getting performance (except for system and 3D card temps) much like my card, or even better in some setups.

I have no regrets, but agree with Charon_Sin's observation that BFG got ahead of itself. I think they simply couldn't turn out enough reliable units to make the effort worthwhile. :)

NoGodForMe said:
Got in here a few days late, but I bought the BFG 6800 Ultra Water block from Outpost. Yes, it was discontinued at Chumbo.
I bought from Outpost and received the card a few days later. Here's a picture of the back of it.

From reading other posts, it looks like I have a newer bios. I heard of some people locking up their computer with an older bios.

I'm going with the Exos AL, this will be my first water cooling system. For me, ease of setup was the selling points, even if the card only goes to 425. Everything should connect with no problem, since the connectors on the BFG are 1/4 just like the Exos. And my system should run quiet with the Exos at 45%, so I'm ok with spending the extra money if everything works.

You know, it was funny, when I opened the bag, I gently pulled the sticker away so I wouldn't rip it, and there was another half of a sticker under it. Who knows, maybe that means my card was returned and went out with a new bios.

You got everything, but you forgot this
MVC-526F.JPG

With your FX.. it will take you to Alaska and back. :D
There is no Ultra extreme 6800U core, only bios that make a difference between default speed on some cards.

12 Axes said:

Hopefully they sent him some $ back ! That's like buying an Ultra, sending it in for warranty, and getting a GT back. I would be pissed if there was no $$

^^^^
Great picture.
I'm not a big OCer, just want things to run cool and quiet with a little boost.

Honestly I dont think VapoChill are worth the money :rolleyes: Unlessssss...your getting like a 5ghz oc on your fx proc :D

NoGodForMe said:

I am happy with my Koolance setup. I added a 2nd passive radiator for good measure because I cool the CPU, Northbridge and GPU. My 3200xp never goes above 48c running Prime95, and that is with an overclock on the GPU and CPU. It may not be the best results but it is not bad for an easy to setup 1/4" system that is quiet. If I build another water cooling rig I will probably do a custom 1/2" setup.

Back