*** The 100% Complete 3DMark05 Forceware Comparison ***

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
That's right guys, you guessed right, I'm back in action.....this time with 3DMark05. I just finished downloading it myself and have yet to run it.....but starting tonight I'm going to be running 3DMark05 through with all 30 or so releases of the 60series Forceware drivers.....just to give a wide range of numbers....to see how one might expect certain drivers to react, and because I've got nothing better to do then pump you guys full of numbers. :)

Well, here it is.....the graph is done, I will continue to keep ontop of new driver releases, and the graph will be updated weekly.

force_graph2.jpg

61.32: Card supported/recognized, but computer restart on loading of GT1
61.21: OEM Leadtek driver, will not install properly or recognize card
61.12 BETA: Card supported, but computer restart on loading of GT1
61.11: Card supported, but computer restart on loading of GT1
60.85: Card not supported, thermal threshold reading 3C, computer restart on loading of GT1
60.80: Card not supported, thermal threshold reading 3C, computer restart on loading of GT1
60.72: Card not supported, thermal threshold reading 3C, computer restart on loading of GT1
60.60: Card not supported, thermal threshold reading 3C, computer restart on loading of GT1

A note about the above results, the tests were run on my sig system with my 2.8C clocked at 3.5GHz (250fsb 1:1) with my PC4000 at 2.5-4-4-7, and the 6800GT running at official Ultra clocks of 400/1100...unless otherwise noted. Since some of the newer drivers include the ability to enable or disable a number of filtering optimizations I have left each and every one of them disabled during my testing, to try and level the playing field when I'm comparing some older Forceware releases. Also, I should have mentioned it earlier, but the mipmap detail is set to High Quality for each test, and nothing else (driver related) has been altered.

Cya soon. :cool:

That's like a full time job :)

Your gonna save me the trouble of finding the right one though :p

I even appreciate the effort and I run a XT PE. Thanks for the hard work. :D

cornelious0_0
[H]ardness Supreme

Kinda says it all :D
Perhaps Sainthood is in order!
Onward [H]ard soldier :eek:

Oh thankyou!

Thanks, curious of what drivers to get for my 6800 gt. I do run 66.31 WHQL's as of now.

OPUS1 said:
cornelious0_0
[H]ardness Supreme

Kinda says it all :D
Perhaps Sainthood is in order!
Onward [H]ard soldier :eek:

Oh thankyou!

Oh come now..... :p

hehe, I'm actually looking forward to starting the comparison tonight.....oh, and less then 100 posts left for 6k. :cool:

Here's my best 05 run so far BTW.....just thought I'd check what I could churn out before I start this tonight.....6k is drawing near already.

Sadly though, it seems that because of the excessive use of PS's, VS's,HDR lighting, and Dynamic shadows, 3DMark05 is ridiculously sensitive to video card overclocks and artifacts. I can clock my card at 450/1300 with my NVSilencer and not see a single anomaly in 3DMark2001, 03, Aquamark3, or even Doom3 for that matter.....but it goes ridiculously nuts here.

It looks like 3DMark05 is what I'm gonna end up using to loop overnight when I'm testing new video card clocks.....cus how its looking is that if artifact free in 3DMark05 is IS artifact free.

Looking forward to it.

Hope have plenty of Bawls on hand. Wait, you know what I mean!

PopCorn said:
Looking forward to it.

Hope have plenty of Bawls on hand. Wait, you know what I mean!

Yeah yeah, we're crystal clear on that one. ;)

Please don't mention Bawls though....at the last (30 hour) LAN I was at I drank an entire box of the stuff, that's over 6Litres of Bawls......more then 3 large pop bottles full.

Ugg.....stomach's churning just thinking about it. But man....talk about a caffiene rush, as you can assume, I crash [H]ARD that night. :p

Well guys, I'm finally home from work and NOT busy so I'm gonna get started.....I plan on getting at least a half dozen drivers done tonight.....and another 5-10 done tomorrow morning.....so I'll be 1/3 done tomorrow before i leave for work. :)

I'll keep it posted which versions I have finished, but not what the scores were.....not that soon, I'll make you all wait until they're all finished so i can update the first post with all the results.

Just because I want to see the benchmarks run a little bit smoother I'm gonna bump my 2.8C to 3.5GHz and the GT to Ultra clocks instead of stock everything.....just for a little change of pace.

Well, I honestly DO have almost two dozen threads in my Control Panel to reply to right now but I'm gonna go get this started, 5 now, 5 tomorrow morning.

Beast....that's all there is to it. :eek:

Anyone wanna get a o/u going on which is best driver set? ;)

The Batman said:
I'll put some Bat-coins on the 66.70s.

Bat-coins eh? Gotta get me some of those. ;)

Just finished the first 5 drivers....I'll do another 5-10 tomorrow morning, 5 more tomorrow after work.....and then I might be able to force myself to sit down all morning/afternoon on Friday and do the last 14 or so. :)

EDIT: Surprisingly enough I'm not doing this JUST to find the fastest driver.....cus its fairly obvious its gonna be one of the newest ones....but I'd really just like to see how our ancient 61.77's stack up and how much some ppl might be able to gain if they're running an older driver. Call me crazy, but this is almost fun. :p

CleanSlate said:
Cornelius is a giver.

Someone quick give him a cookie!

~Adam

Haha, now if only people could learn how to spell my name. :p

Thanks, curious of what drivers to get for my 6800 gt. I do run 66.31 WHQL's as of now.

I just wanted to add something without giving away any results here.....but dude, you WILL be switching drivers (at least for benchmarking) after you see how the 66.31's stack up against some of these other releases. ;)

EDIT: Shit, it's 3 in the morning and I just finished watching The Girl Next Door.......and I really don't feel like sleep. I guess I could get through a couple more drivers. ;)

Afterall, work's so much more fun when you could fall asleep standing up at any moment. ;)

I coulda swore I spelt it rihgt but hen gin I don hav tat geat a pelling ne huw

~Adame :D

CorneliOUS,
thanks man. This is going to make me order my 6800GT next week. I just want to have that driver packag sitting in my driver folder waiting for it. Good bye 9800Pro AIW, hello Speeeeeeeed :D

typhoon43 said:
CorneliOUS,
thanks man. This is going to make me order my 6800GT next week. I just want to have that driver packag sitting in my driver folder waiting for it. Good bye 9800Pro AIW, hello Speeeeeeeed :D

Good stuff man, I went from a 9800XT to the 6800GT and I was blown away. :cool:

cornelious0_0 said:
That's right guys, you guessed right, I'm back in action.....this time with 3DMark05. I just finished downloading it myself and have yet to run it.....but starting tonight I'm going to be running 3DMark05 through with all 30 or so releases of the 60series Forceware drivers.....just to give a wide range of numbers....to see how one might expect certain drivers to react, and because I've got nothing better to do then pump you guys full of numbers. :)

66.70: Tested
66.51: Tested
66.32: Tested
66.31: Tested
66.10 BETA: Tested
66.00 BETA: Tested
65.76: Tested

No, I will not be finishing it all tonight, but I'll keep you guys posted as to which drivers I have completed testing on by editing the first post with the completed versions.

Cya soon. :cool:

d00d! you rock man!

Dude, you're on the front page... so I expected to see some results in here.... not just a screenshot that you have all of the drivers on your computer!! You're about to get a few thousand views... better post your results that you have up to now. Just update it when you finish.

P.S. I nice pretty excel chart would be nice :) for the dumbies that cant tell which number is higher, but can see which bar is the longest! :)

chrisf6969 said:
Dude, you're on the front page... so I expected to see some results in here.... not just a screenshot that you have all of the drivers on your computer!! You're about to get a few thousand views... better post your results that you have up to now. Just update it when you finish.

P.S. I nice pretty excel chart would be nice :) for the dumbies that cant tell which number is higher, but can see which bar is the longest! :)

Alright bro, I'm gonna go do a few more drivers right away, and I will post up the numbers I have up until now when I get back, and when I'm through...I won't dissapoint.....a nice bar graph it is. :)

One note: has anyone run it with 512Mb vs 1Gb of ram?

I was wondering if its time for me to upgrade yet. 512Mb has done fine for me until now, but I know future games will require more... and 3dmark2005 may be an example of such. Just curious.

P.S. please include any changes you make in the driver default settings. IE: quality/performance, which optimizations: on/off

chrisf6969 said:
One note: has anyone run it with 512Mb vs 1Gb of ram?

I was wondering if its time for me to upgrade yet. 512Mb has done fine for me until now, but I know future games will require more... and 3dmark2005 may be an example of such. Just curious.

Well, how about this, I know it would be killing my dual channel bandwidth, but would you want me to run one test with 1GB of single channel, and 512MB of single channel? Just so you can see how much effect the physical memory plays?

Actually, that's a good idea, I'm gonna go re-run the 65.76 test (just cus they're still installed on my benchmark partition) with 1GB of SC, and then I'll pull a stick and let you know what I find out.....so we'll have all 3 results to compare.

Also, if anyone wants to see any results with AA and AF I'd be more then willing to run the 65.76's a couple extra times with 4xAA and then again with 4xAA and 8xAF simultaneously.

cornelious0_0 said:
Well, how about this, I know it would be killing my dual channel bandwidth, but would you want me to run one test with 1GB of single channel, and 512MB of single channel? Just so you can see how much effect the physical memory plays?

Yeah as long as its "apple to apples" (both single channel). That would give us an idea of the difference.

After looking at the "post your 3dmark05 score" thread most people with high scores were running 66.70 drivers. Which your results seem to also show.

I first ran it with 61.77 drivers. I got something like 4800 points. Installed the 66.70's and went up to 5500. I was hoping to get near 6000 with my system but oh well it's just 3dmark...

Eshelmen said:
I just downloaded some driver from www.guru3d.com and it says latest nvidia driver for FX and up for 3dmark 05
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=878

Umm, yeah bro.....that'd be the 66.70's that I've already ran through the test.....I've got a pretty good feeling that they ARE going to be the best performing drivers in this comparison, but nonetheless.....I still want to finish the rest of them, to see how the older releases stack up...just because. ;)

Thanks Corny, that's some good work!! With a quick update from my 65.73 drivers to 66.70 I should be able to enjoy the 3DMark05 slideshow a little faster now. :)

BTW, there's some 'new' 66.29 drivers up on Guru3D. Might want to test 'em to keep things 100%-complete? :p

coz said:
BTW, there's some 'new' 66.29 drivers up on Guru3D. Might want to test 'em to keep things 100%-complete? :p

Aww shucks.....I did mess 'em didn't I? :p

Thx for brining it to my attention.....better go get those ones done before work, seeing as I've alread finished the rest of the 66.xx drivers.

cornelious0_0 said:
Umm, yeah bro.....that'd be the 66.70's that I've already ran through the test.....I've got a pretty good feeling that they ARE going to be the best performing drivers in this comparison, but nonetheless.....I still want to finish the rest of them, to see how the older releases stack up...just because. ;)

ok just saying because they gave me a 400 point lead over my last benchmark the other day.

Back