My Watercooling Thread (pics) (56k...yeah right)

Alex41290

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, well, I am amazed at D-Tek/USPS...the order arrived within a day of it shipping :)...its awesome! well, i've taken pics of everything, and will be updating with more pics as i go along...

all.JPG

This is a pic of everything I ordered (from D-Tek)

fan.JPG

Here's the Al fan attached to the heatercore with a shroud.

heatercore.JPG

This is a pic of the heatercore...

peanuts.JPG

Wow...I love packing peanuts :p...i was makin sure I didn't miss anything...but a good packing job by D-Tek.

res.JPG

This is D-Teks new poly bay res...it feels very "heavy" and well made...

pump.JPG

My Via Aqua 1300...I'm too scared to do the sound dampening mod...

res2.JPG

Just another pic of the bay res...

whitewater.JPG

This is the D-Tek WhiteWater...very nice...i didn't take a pic of the Y connector and all the screws, but i'll post some more pics as new things arrive...inluding my shiny new (RMA'd) RAM from newegg :D

shiny.JPG

Oohhhhh.....shiny....hehe

ties.JPG

And, blindviper...this is for you :p...i'm going to work on my cabling tonight, hopefully before my soccer practice and i'll try to finish it...

I'll update as new things come and as I progress.

Thanks to all that helped me pick stuff out! You guys were awesome...

your pic hosting sucks... sooo slow]

and thos pic are redicuoulsy large... there is no need for them to be that big
if you need help shrinking them let us know :rolleyes:

yah, i just realized that they were too big...i'm resizing them to 800x600

SORRY!

EDIT: all better!

DryFire said:
no shroud on your heatercore?

its at the bottom of the first pic. you can see the screws going through the heatercore in the 3rd pic too :).

Looking good - how long till you get your tubing and clamps and such? And how much did your whole WC setup cost total? Less than if you bought all high-end stuff, wasn't it? ;)

haha, um...it was a lot w/ shipping...i think it was like 240-250 something like that...but yeah its nice...my bad blindviper...i wasn't thinking...i was just drooling over my new stuff :p

okay, i'm going to post a pick (another dedication to you blindviper) of my cable management "skills"...i'll put a b4 and after pic, just so u can see how horrendous (sp?) my case was.

well, its supposed to come by next tuesday...my RAM is supposed to come by friday...so its all lookin good!

EDIT: my case with some management and thought put into it...i had to revise it cuz the cpu fan and the vga 4-pin connectors did not work...but it still looks good!

cablemanage.jpg

okay, everyone I need ur help...

i recieved almost everything (damn DD didn't ship my zerex) and i have two questions, one concerning the zerex and the other about leak testing:

1) can i still hook everything up and use distilled water and such, and later add zerex?

2) if i do that, can i run it overnight when i'm sleeping and while i'm at school? if i put it on a piece of glass or such or add dye to see if it leaked...is this okay? it would be "alone" from like 10:30 pm till like 6:15 when i wake up, and then from like 6:45 to like 2:45 when I get home from school...is this okay? I want to possibly put it together tonight, and if all of this is okay, then I can go ahead and do it...i have pics of almost everything, gonna upload them in a little bit!

well, it wouldn't hurt anything to run it without zerex, would it?

i'm just wondering, cuz DD is shipping my zerex express, which won't go out till tomorrow (and that's 3 days) so i'm lookin at friday or monday, is it safe to wait THAT long or what?

otherwise, what substitutes could I use until i get the zerex? that wouldn't be too hard to get? i tried "royal purple ice", as suggested by blindviper, but nobody had that...any other suggestions? like stuff from walmart, or autozone...

THANKS!!

again, i'm posting pics soon, and I'm gonna put stuff "together" and leave it together until I get something to prevent corrosion/algae growth.

so how do you like the evercool? have you tried undervolting it?

umm...yeah, that answers my question :p

wrong thread?

but can anyone answer my above question?

is it okay to leave just distilled water running in the loop for about 3 days?

if its not, what can i use as a substitute?

alright, well, i'm gonna wait till friday, cuz its a better idea...but for now, I have pics of the stuff...actually, i'm gonna do it saturday, so i don't hafta rush...ANYWAY, i do have pics of all the stuff i got and the UV lights in action...

everything.JPG

This is everything I got from DD and SVC cept for the Zerex...but that comes friday, which is why i'm getting held up putting this together.
tubing.JPG

Here's my 10 feet of ClearFlex...as the name suggests, it is very flexible and soft.
gpu.JPG

Here is a picture of the DD Maze4 GPU block...its got a very shiny finish on the back, just don't want to take off the plastic thing until I need to use it...

Ok, well, I don't have pics of the UV cables and such, but I do have a pic of the CFFLs and UV dye:
cffl.JPG

Here are some pictures of the UV Lights in action and the flash of my camera on the last picture cancels out the UV, so it looks normal.
uv1.2.JPG

uv2.JPG

uvwithside.JPG

inside1.JPG

well, again, i will be posting saturday with pics of my setup and such...thanks for all the help to those that did, you know who you are (the most prominent, of course, being blindviper and Grizzy...sorry if i missed you, just those two come at me off the top of my head.)

Alex

it probably won't kill anything, even if you have bare Al and Cu but it is not suggested. I would keep the time as short as possible.

yeah, and sorry about the large pictures, I forgot about those...resizing and editing...

that's why i'm gonna wait till saturday, just to be safe...i'm gonna see if my dad will cut out the top blowhole for me before saturday, so I don't hafta waste time...

you should be careful with the D-tek poly tops...I had one on my TC-4 Rev2 and it cracked under a month. Lucky for my I run betadine in my loop to kill stuff and well betadine luckily has a side effect of gumming up when exposed to air which in turn clogged the crack and saved my ass...Danger dens over d-teks.

did u really really tighten it? now u have me scared :p...i don't wanna wreck my pc with my watercooling...why'd u do that? lol, thanks for pointing that out, though, should I like silicone the outlets to the res? would that help at all? like, don't tighten it as much, but silicone it shut?

well, if anybody has any suggestions/comments, i'd love to hear some!

sweet man sweet, enjoy it, looks great.
did dtek shipped out the stuff fast?
i just got my maze 4 gpu block, that same color, its heavy, i am extremly pleased with dd's quality.
happy building:)

yeah, the maze4 is really really heavy...i like it when stuff is "heavy" cuz then you know its good...

yeah, d-tek shipped it out really fast...

maxxo said:
so how do you like the evercool? have you tried undervolting it?

i love those evercool fans, better than panaflos imo. they undervolt quite nicely to 7v or 5v no problem, at least the ones i had did (got them about a year and a half ago). you gotta use bolts to hold them in place though not reg case fans.

alex looks like you got some good stuff, just remember to take your time and don't force the install. do that and you won't break anything and won't have any leaks.

Good stuff Alex41290, now you got me that much more anctious. My reservoir and Clearflex is due to arrive today.....the TDX block and CSP750 in about 2-3 days....and then I'll just be waiting on the DTek heatercore.....I got the black one /w 1 shroud. I'm either gonna be making use of my Evercool 120mm aluminum fan I've got now, or a 120x38 Delta that'll be showing up anytime now.

Keep us posted on the install and arrival of any more goodies....and damn you for making me this much more eager for my stuff to get here. :p

haha, yeah, the fan isn't that quiet at all...

i have another question about a possible temporary location for the heatercore...i can fit in laying down in the 5.25" bays (with a little modding, of course :p)...can I put it lying down with a fan in the front going fo intake? this is just a theoretically "possible" solution, until I can get the drill bit...i could technically put it together tomorrow after school, cuz that would have it be only one day w/o the zerex, but if you guys really don't recommend it, then i won't.

keep the comments coming!

and sorry cornelious, the anxiety is crazy, isn't it? I'm PO'ed at DD for not shipping me the zerex...but oh well, sh*t happens...

I agree, the 120 Evercool aluminum isn't really quiet at all, but it is a nice fan nonetheless, and I'll end up using it with my DTek heatercore myself if I can't get a 38mm thick fan mounted properly with those rods they give you.

there is a good amount of extra "length" of the screws that you should be able to do it easily, if i remember correctly...i can't wait for the zerex...god damn it :p

cornelious0_0 said:
I agree, the 120 Evercool aluminum isn't really quiet at all, but it is a nice fan nonetheless, and I'll end up using it with my DTek heatercore myself if I can't get a 38mm thick fan mounted properly with those rods they give you.

I agree completely. I have two of these cooling my 77' bonniville core, and they are loud as hell when using default voltage. I ended up using a rhesotat to control their speed. I doubt their 28 dB lvl is correct in their specs. Its a pity because I bought them because I thought they were quiet and looked cool :(.

The panaflos are much better imho, I bought one and it pushes more air, at a higher pressure, and at a quieter dB lvl.

Alex41290 said:
there is a good amount of extra "length" of the screws that you should be able to do it easily, if i remember correctly...i can't wait for the zerex...god damn it :p

Sounds good, I'm lookin' forward to it.

I might have to pick up some Zerex myself.....but i didn't see any stock of it at the same places i was getting the rest of my gear from so i didn't. :(

You got any like before/after results from the stuff?

wait, me? lol, i don't have it...or do u mean someone else?

wow, i'm lost...probly cuz those ramsinks you posted in the "show off ur vid card" are so sweet :p too bad they're out of stock :(

so far, no email from Mushkin or DD that they shipped out my stuff...hoping it comes soon!

Alex41290 said:
wow, i'm lost...probly cuz those ramsinks you posted in the "show off ur vid card" are so sweet :p too bad they're out of stock :(

yeah, I'll probly end up getting the Swiftech block for my 6800GT, seeing as ppl are getting noticeable lower core temps from it, 'cus it doesnt have to cool the ram, then I'll have those monster ramsinks and my Vantec Fancard to work on the memory. ;)

sounds like a man with a plan :p

that was my friend's slogan running for "Class of 2008 Vice President"

(inserted random name, NOT HIS REAL NAME)

"John Smith
Man With a Plan"

I thought it was the funniest thing.

Ugh, god, its been like a day, and I already can't wait for the zerex!!! or my ram...

guys, if i can't get my proc to boot at 2.4, could it be the PSU? I'm pretty sure its my shoddy RAM, but I'm not quite sure, any ideas?

well what fsb/multiplier combination are you trying for? with the extra cooling you might just be able to push for 200x12 which wouldn't be stressing your memory at all, and may allow you to tighten the timings a bit for an added boost.

DarkenReaper57 said:
I agree completely. I have two of these cooling my 77' bonniville core, and they are loud as hell when using default voltage. I ended up using a rhesotat to control their speed. I doubt their 28 dB lvl is correct in their specs. Its a pity because I bought them because I thought they were quiet and looked cool :(.

The panaflos are much better imho, I bought one and it pushes more air, at a higher pressure, and at a quieter dB lvl.

hmm i must have a different model than you guys then, these are the aluminum ones that say AOC on the side right? mine are quieter than my 120mm panaflo M models @ 12v, and quieter than my 120mm panaflo L model @ 7 and 5v. and yes i am comparing them at equal voltage (so i'm not saying the aluminum @ 5v is quieter than the panaflo @ 12v). the thing i hear most @ 5v with the panaflo is motor noise, which seems louder to me than the air noise i hear with the aluminum fan.

cornelious - the multiplier is locked...already tried raising it to no avail...when i get my system together, i'll take a look at the core and write down the stepping...to see what people know about this chip...

devilpup - well, i don't currently have a fan controller, so that might be a problem...i would love to run it @ 5v

Devilpup said:
hmm i must have a different model than you guys then, these are the aluminum ones that say AOC on the side right? mine are quieter than my 120mm panaflo M models @ 12v, and quieter than my 120mm panaflo L model @ 7 and 5v. and yes i am comparing them at equal voltage (so i'm not saying the aluminum @ 5v is quieter than the panaflo @ 12v). the thing i hear most @ 5v with the panaflo is motor noise, which seems louder to me than the air noise i hear with the aluminum fan.

has anyone else tried undervolting them? results/comments/comparisons?

Alex41290 said:
cornelious - the multiplier is locked...already tried raising it to no avail...when i get my system together, i'll take a look at the core and write down the stepping...to see what people know about this chip...

devilpup - well, i don't currently have a fan controller, so that might be a problem...i would love to run it @ 5v

it's all about the wiring my friend, you can use a small screwdriver to pull the pins out of the fan plug and then ghetto rig them to a molex, or cut & splice to a molex. you might try ghetto rigging them first just to see if you like it or not. i did that when i was testing different fans for noise then just hooked them up to sunbeam fan controllers when i went for the final install.

as far as i know though most fan controllers go down to around 7v only, not as low as 5v. there is a definite audible difference.

well, the fan came with a 3-pin-to-molex power connector, so its already "ghetto rigged" w/o the ghetto :p

Devilpup said:

are they 25mm or 38mm fans?

just a though about 25mm fans in watercooling.
Airflow through a rad is very much a function of pressure. 38mm fans have higher static pressure capabilities than 25mm. meaning that 38mm fans are able to push more air through the rad.

just a thought.

they are 25mm thick fans, and yea at low voltage especially they don't have much pressure, but neither do panaflos.

one thing i noticed when dealing with fans is that if you have them pulling air through an object (radiator, filter, etc) it tends to work better than pushing air against an object. i learned this way back in the day when i installed filters on the inside of the case (fans blowing against the filters). what i saw, and felt, was there was some blowback and it made the setup rather inefficient. i could feel a lot of air moving on the intake side of the fan, but not nearly as much on the other side of the filter. what that told me was that the air was being pushed against the filter and then being blown back out through the fan because the filter was so restrictive, same as if you put the fan blowing against a solid object. when i rearranged it so the filter was on the intake side of the fan, and the fan pulling air through it, the air movement on both sides was about equal.

so yeah, if you have them blowing against a rad then you are going to need more pressure to move the same volume of air. however, if you are moving a low volume of air, the rad should not be too restrictive and give you blowback.

you can try it yourself. hold a fan against the rad or filter and take a feel of the airflow on both sides. for my configurations i usually try to put the fans so they are pulling air through any restrictive objects instead of pushing against. another simple trick is to put a shirt in front of your mouth and blow or suck air through it.

Nice to see more and more ppl around here realising the proper way to setup a single fan rad or heatercore. Pull all the way ppl......unless you pick up two shrouds for your radiator and do a pull/push setup with two fans of equal airflow. Myself, I'm only gonna have the one fan on my heatercore.....and it's either gonna be my Evercool 120x25 aluminum fan at full speed (80cfm) or the 120x38 Delta that's on the way that's gonna be pushing (or should I say pulling) about 50% more air.

my debate was to use 3 x 120mm aluminum fans or go balls out and pick up two more 190cfm deltas on a switch. i already have the aluminum fans (last case i built used 10 of them) and the deltas are out of stock atm. the deltas are loud as like a top fuel dragster but good lord do they move some air. i picked up one a long while ago and installed it on my shuttle sn41 with an adapter. damn thing almost moves around by itself.

the rad i'm getting is a triple-fan configuration (expensive but convenient) so i'm not really concerned about pushing much air through it as i think it could get by passively. though the idea of 570cfm sounds interesting, at least to test.....

Back