6800 bios flash

Chaballaman

[H]ard|Gawd
anyone planning on flashing the 6800nu with 6800ultra bios? if you got 16 pipelines, 6 vertex working 100% with latest rivatuner.
it will enable 16 pipelines and 6 vertex pipes permanently, and 6800ultra bios might also increase the performance. you dont have to load rivatuner and saves hassle of installing rivatuner everytime you install new driver.

i also want to know if its possible get 12 pipelines back if you flash back to original bios. (128mb 6800nu)

A word of caution.... there is a theory that the memory timings on the GDDR3 of the Ultra and GT are very different from those of the DDR1 on the NU. Also, the core voltages are different. That however, can usually be changed.

I don't think a bios flash would work. There's too many differences between the Ultra and Vanilla.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-3-p1.html
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=796638&page=1
yes bios flash works, only problem is that the card "might" not go back to 12pipelines when u flash back with original bios. but u don't need to flash back(go back to 12pipes) if you have 6800nu that can run 100% with 16pipelines.

6800nu and 6800ultra both run at 1.4v 3d, 1.1v 2d default.

wat i want to know is if its possible to get 12 pipelines back if you flash back to original bios. 256mb 6800nu has no prob but im not sure about 128mb version.. thats why i placed it in ( ) on my first post. :)

The only way I'd try this is with the Asus non-ultra with 256mb of GDDR3 built on the Ultra pcb.

If rivatuner successfully modded it to 16/6 then the ultra bios should turn it into a full fledged ultra.

Yes, the Core voltages might be the same. But the memory voltages aren't. DDR1 would require quite a bit more voltage to run at the speeds of the GDDR3 on the Ultra. The ultra's memory also runs at a voltage lower than the stock 6800nu.

if your talking 6800 vs 6800 Ultra there might be issues
if your talking 6800 GT vs 6800 ultra there are no issues.
the gt is the same exact card.

as for the plain jane 6800 hhmm sounds like the same dilemma as the x800 non vivo to x800 xt pe flash/upgrade. tricky , some work and some dont.

its a huge risk with the plain 6800 but if you have a GT and want to flash it to ultra for voltage and overclocking do it.. works 100% and the gt as we all probably already know already has the 16 pipes.

my bfg gt oc will be here saturday ,, hoping that the usps arent lagging in their efforts to get it here on time.... ive been advised that flashing it isnt needed unless you want to bump it up 1v for 3D.

16pipelines and 6 vertex pipes will still remain if you flash 6800ultra bios and flash back to original 6800 bios, according to the review i posted above. so if thats the case you can flash it with ultra bios and flash back and have original bios and have permanent 16 pipelines. (u can try with rivatuner first to check if ur card can run with 16 pipes, 6 vertex 100%).

the 128mb leadtek 6800nu used in the review got permanent 16 pipes after leadtek 6800ultra bios flash n back to original bios. however 256mb asus 6800nu gets 12pipelines back if you flash it with 6800ultra bios and flash back to original.

so if you have 6800nu that can run 100% with 16 pipelines and 6 vertex you can flash it with 6800ultra bios.
1. it might work 100% as 128mb 6800ultra 16pipes at reduce clock speed.
(if not, flash back to original)
2. if u have 256m 6800nu ur card will be back to normal. if you have 128mb 6800nu it might go back to normal, or it might still have 16pipes enabled.

odd it changed it to a perm 16 pipes. as long as it works and works stable, thats definately a good thing. although,, flashing back to the NU bios, isnt the NU bios set to NOT even instruct the card to use those other pipes ? or will the card use them as long as they are there ?
it must flash more than the bios ? or the bios in fact alters another parameters on the card ?
thats a helluva deal if you find a certain brand of card that works 100% stable. too bad though the 128 meg.
problems, in my experience in the ati area, you cant use the 256 meg bios on a 128 meg card , not only the ram amount, but differences in the ram itself. timing, voltages, brand, etc.

have you had to modify the bios to reflect it using only 128 megs? and voltages and other parameters, for stabilty and compatability reasons.?

whats your performance increase by doing this ? i would say noticeable, but not significant. but i havent been on the nvidia bandwagon for years. so...

according to the review i posted above, 6800nu gets permanent 16 pipes when flashed with 6800ultra bios. more info regarding diff mem size, etc are explained in the review.

but my 6800nu got 12 pipes when flashed back to original bios. i've only tried two ultra bios so far but they didn't work 100%.. haven't found the right one yet so cant tell ya about the perf inc.

anyway move all 6800nu flash thread to;
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=817971
i'll post all the updates there.. im gonna try leadtek 6800ultra bios next.

Back